RPG Thread XV Will Hunt and Kill His Brothers and Absorb Their Essence

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm going to be at the mid-game (grinding required) hump part in DQ 6 for a while. Thanks for giving me a castle I can't evac out of, guys!

[quote name='eldergamer']So, if I'm considering a PSP to pick up all the RPGs that came out, which I've missed out on. What's the cheapest way to go?

A PSP 3000 or whatever? Used games from gamestop? Sales from PSN?[/QUOTE]

You also might want to consider a PSP Go so the games you buy will work on Vita also. Another thing to note is many GS have already started getting rid of their PSP games. My local store has already gotten rid of theirs. It's also really hard to get any of the PSP RPG's used at GS. They are generally flooded with really old crap that's a mix of sports, driving, and kids games when it comes to their used PSP section.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blueshinra']Oh, I think I know what castle that is. It's not too bad.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's the Dark Lord Murdark (Sp?) castle in the 'real' world. At only level 21 (and getting quickly wiped out during a trial encounter) I figure I need to do some grinding first.

[quote name='eldergamer']Yeah, it's the Dark Lord Murdark (Sp?) castle in the 'real' world. At only level 21 (and getting quickly wiped out during a trial encounter) I figure I need to do some grinding first.[/QUOTE]
I don't recall what level I was at for that one, but if the regular encounters there are giving you trouble, yeah, you should probably grind.

[quote name='The Crotch']Murdark?

Murdark?

Is that, like... one of the new Pokemon or something?[/QUOTE]
It's Murdaw, actually :)

Started Persona 3 FES yesterday (The Journey). Not digging the lack of direct control over party members in battle (i.e., the one part of FFXII I wish every other turn-based JRPG developer hadn't been influenced by). Hope I get used to it, because I like everything else about the game so far.

I think that was the level I cleared Murdaw's castle.
If you can't Evac, I think you can walk outside when you get to the castle and Zoom out.
It's a tough battle and I forgot how I figured it out. There's definitely a lot of tight timings, I remember. Maybe you need the right items or equipment or something. IMO this is the hardest battle in the game.
Also don't forget about using defend. Unlike other RPGs, defend reduces damage by around half which is key to defending against magic and bosses that have two turns.

(If you overlevel, it might cause problems later on with class changing since your level will be too high to get battle credit to gain experience in a class, and class levels are wayyyy more important than experience levels.)

[quote name='blueshinra']Started Persona 3 FES yesterday (The Journey). Not digging the lack of direct control over party members in battle (i.e., the one part of DQ4 I wish every other turn-based JRPG developer hadn't been influenced by). Hope I get used to it, because I like everything else about the game so far.[/QUOTE]
I fixed this for you, lol.
Ah, the days of yelling at the NES because Cristo wants to cast Defeat on a boss. They fixed it in DQ5, it's amazing how it's still a problem in other games 15 years later.

[quote name='blueshinra']Started Persona 3 FES yesterday (The Journey). Not digging the lack of direct control over party members in battle (i.e., the one part of FFXII I wish every other turn-based JRPG developer hadn't been influenced by). Hope I get used to it, because I like everything else about the game so far.[/QUOTE]

Can't blame XII for this, P3 came out only a few months after FFXII so it wasn't influenced by their battle system. XII had gambits at least, which gave you some type of control, something I wish Xenoblade had.

Besides, your party members in P3 tend not to fuck you over THAT much.

I would fucking kill for the ability to pause a fight in Xenoblade and queue up commands for my party members.

You can't do that, right?

Because fuck me, I've been trying.

[quote name='blueshinra']Started Persona 3 FES yesterday (The Journey). Not digging the lack of direct control over party members in battle (i.e., the one part of FFXII I wish every other turn-based JRPG developer hadn't been influenced by). Hope I get used to it, because I like everything else about the game so far.[/QUOTE]

You can gain direct control of your teammates. During gameplay, select tactics (I believe that is what it is called) and you can select between the different types of styles you want your teammate to play as or select direct control.

Also The Witcher 2 is dope yo.

I stand corrected, I have only been playing the P3P version. Was under the impression that FES was P3P but without the female part.

[quote name='j-cart']I stand corrected, I have only been playing the P3P version. Was under the impression that FES was P3P but without the female part.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, in the original PS2 version, you can't control your teammates. Really, tho, the only time it is an issue is when you are facing enemies that are strong against your team's strenghts and they basically do nothing. You address that by mixing up your team. Otherwise, they behave reasonably well.

[quote name='Indignate']You get your one shot with Chain Attacks. Be happy they gave us that.[/QUOTE]
Hell with controlling party members - can I at least get a proper pause button in fight? Best I can see is hitting plus to read the description of an art.

I just want to be able to see where my god damn target is.

Hitting the Home button? It only obscures half your screen.

But yeah, it gets tough to tell who's aggroing who and which robot in the clusterfuck of robots is the one you're supposed to be hitting.

I sometimes end up just running around in circles until my auto-attacks start landing, then I hammer on the arts and hope I'm positioned correctly.

Maybe I should try controlling the tank instead of Shulk...

I was thinking that too.

It would definitely make toppling easier. This is why I wish there was some type of gambit system in the game (or at least good A.I.). He shouldn't use his topple skill unless someone is on break and when someone is on break, he should devote all time and effort to toppling the hell out of em.

My fear is that if I control anyone other than Shulk, the AI will fuck up his flanking/backstab attacks, which is kinda the reason I like having him in the party.

Right now I'm just fucking around on sidequests, building up relations between characters I never plan to use together, so it's not a big deal. But it's kinda making me dread getting back to the plot...

It seems like doing all the sidequest would make you overpowered enough that it probably won't even matter. Shulk's backstab is fuckin insane though. I have a first attack gem on him that increases damage by 40% and his backstab destroys.

I'm eerie about giving him to the AI for Monado reasons. I'm not sure how good the AI would be at saving talent art juice for Enchant and Shield/Speed, but then again that stuff is really only useful in certain situations.

At least the AI is pretty good at managing Sharla.

I mean, part of that is because she has a million fucking healing spells, and yeah it sucks that the AI can't kite at all, but still.

How far are you, by the way? I'm about 23 hours in. Picked up Riki a little while back; now running through the huge mass of sidequests I missed in Colony 9 and Bionis' Leg.

[quote name='blueshinra']I don't recall what level I was at for that one, but if the regular encounters there are giving you trouble, yeah, you should probably grind.

It's Murdaw, actually :)

Started Persona 3 FES yesterday (The Journey). Not digging the lack of direct control over party members in battle (i.e., the one part of FFXII I wish every other turn-based JRPG developer hadn't been influenced by). Hope I get used to it, because I like everything else about the game so far.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I fused the Dark Lord and Murdaw part of his names. The random encounters aren't bothering me but his fire breath seem to toast me pretty quickly the first time I faced him.

The no-control in P3 didnt bother me as much as the "echoing" decision choices.
"Do you want to go back to your dorm?" " Yes." "You go back to your dorm."
"Do you want to stay up and study?" "Yes." "You stay up and study."
Stop repeating what I just chose to do!!

Yeah, you're a couple areas behind me.

Not sure if you're aware of it, but you should know that there are two different map/fast travel systems. "-" only lets you fast-travel between locations in the area that you're already in, but the left-most menu option lets you change areas entirely (like, go from Colony 6 back to Colony 9 for quests and shopping and crafting an what-not). I played 20 hours before I found out about that. The UI in the game isn't terrible, but there are certainly some strange choices...

i was getting excited about dq! then i got intercepted by xenoblade =(

i read an lp of Fire Emblem and i liked it. i kinda wanna play it now...

Calice, Xenoblade. Rains a thousand fucking times when I don't need it, but now that I do? A century of fucking drought.

Which Fire Emblem and which LP?

FE7 is from back when Intelligent Systems though that simple, functional inventory systems were for pussies (though it's still a lot better than what you got in FE6...). It also has a pretty lengthy hand-holding tutorial, but... eh.

Other than that, good game.

The fourth FE, or the fourth FE released in North America?

Which would be... FE 10, I guess. Radiant Dawn on the Wii.

EDIT: Random conversation with unimportant NPC dropped a massive plot-bomb in Xenoblade. Huh.

And by plot-bomb I mean, "I'm predicting a big plot twist around the faced mechon that's still a good ten hours away".

This is a serious spoiler. fuck off, Indig.
The faced mechon that killed Fiora is the claw guy from the prologue.

Duh.
And I still don't think she's killed off for real, anyway. She's on the reverse-side cover art, and some of the collectibles reference her.

[quote name='The Crotch']And by plot-bomb I mean, "I'm predicting a big plot twist around the faced mechon that's still a good ten hours away".

This is a serious spoiler. fuck off, Indig.
The faced mechon that killed Fiora is the claw guy from the prologue.

Duh.
And I still don't think she's killed off for real, anyway. She's on the reverse-side cover art, and some of the collectibles reference her.
[/QUOTE]

Got to that part last night. Funny how the game itself gives you spoilers. Then again I wouldn't be surprised anyways.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I have a very flowery review in store for Nier, and then so begins a summer of Diablo 3 and Planescape. And a form of income.[/QUOTE]
Did you get the final two endings? Get your Nier review up before I go off to Alberta. Also, how far have you reached in PST?
[quote name='Rodimus']Got to that part last night. Funny how the game itself gives you spoilers. Then again I wouldn't be surprised anyways.[/QUOTE]
The spoiler I got was from talking to:
Desiree, the chick from Colony 9 with the broken watch.
She said her dad was a machinist named Xord.

[quote name='The Crotch']The spoiler I got was from talking to:
Desiree, the chick from Colony 9 with the broken watch.
She said her dad was a machinist named Xord.
[/QUOTE]

I did that mission but I missed that. I need to pay more attention.

[quote name='Indignate']The forth Fire Emblem is the best one. It's probably one of my all time favorite games.[/QUOTE]

is this seisen no keifu?
did you use the translation patch?

[quote name='kainzero']is this seisen no keifu?
did you use the translation patch?[/QUOTE]

Yeah.

[quote name='The Crotch']How balls is the inventory system in 4?[/QUOTE]

I remember that everybody has their own gold and the only way to trade is to sell the item at the shop and have the other person buy it. So you have to be careful when doing the side stuff on a map to let someone finish a thing or do a thing that needs whatever thing you get as a reward.

Be warned, each map (of 12) takes about an hour or so to do.

Try to play it in English or at least with a translation of the script. Story in this game is pretty good and be aware of the love mechanic so you don't screw yourself in the second half.

depending on how difficult the japanese is, i may understand it.

it takes an hour, even with emulator speedup? this could be troublesome...

[quote name='Indignate']Those maps were smaller and only took like 15mins?[/QUOTE]
No, I meant how does the "love mechanic" differ from the support system of later games?

Be warned, Witcher 2 is dope yo.

the_witcher_2_what_is_love_by_trueprince-d46lad3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back