RPG Thread XV Will Hunt and Kill His Brothers and Absorb Their Essence

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='The Crotch']Ending D was fucking glorious, but yeah, too much fucking around to get to C and D. Cavia finally made a good game, but god damn they hated completionists until the day they died.

EDIT: The game does sell most of the weapons though, I think.

[/QUOTE]

It does, there were only like, three that you had to get from quests if I remember right.

Still, it seems a lot of JRPG developers have great ideas in store before they feel like their product isn't "video game" enough, and slap on some 15 year old tradition of stupid shit.

Yeah, this dungeon looks nice, I like it. But you know, it's not quite game enough. Put trap doors every few feet and if the players fall in them, they have to start the area all over again. Yeah, you know, fun stuff like that.

I wish I could see who added those tags to this thread.

Head wings will be the number one issue among "values voters" in the upcoming election, I tell you!

[quote name='j-cart']PC. PC version also supports controller.[/QUOTE]

Ooo, that might be it then. Don't have a wired 360 controller, but I think there's a way to use a PS3 controller via USB so I may need to see if I can get that to work. Thanks!

[quote name='Zmonkay']Ooo, that might be it then. Don't have a wired 360 controller, but I think there's a way to use a PS3 controller via USB so I may need to see if I can get that to work. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Look up MotionInJoy for PS3 controllers. It is what I use.

Wish I could get it to recognize the Bluetooth on my motherboard, tho...

[quote name='Zmonkay']Ooo, that might be it then. Don't have a wired 360 controller, but I think there's a way to use a PS3 controller via USB so I may need to see if I can get that to work. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Game works well with M+KB. Inventory management is going to be a pain with a controller, since it was designed to be used with a mouse cursor.

OK I am trying to figure out what I should play next. To give you an idea of my tastes I would rank the RPGs I have played so far this Gen

1. Lost Odyssey
2. FFXIII
3. Eternal Sonata
4. FFXIII-2
5. Tales of Vesperia (Haven't completed. I think Judith had just shown up when I left off)

I have sitting around, White Knight Chronicles, Last Remenant, Star Ocean or I could try to complete Tales of Vesperia. What do you think I will enjoy picking next the most?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Try" to complete ToV? If it's on your top 5 you should be a bit more excited to finish it...

Anyways, WKC is complete ass, I hear Last Remnant is very buggy, and Star Ocean is pretty much a battle system falsely advertised as a complete game. It's a wonderful time to be a JRPG fan.

How, I ask in the name of our LORD, do you get one and a half hour's worth of material for a video on the indoctrination theory?

I can be long-winded, but fuck me sideways, that's just excessive.

[quote name='The Crotch']How, I ask in the name of our LORD, do you get one and a half hour's worth of material for a video on the indoctrination theory?

I can be long-winded, but fuck me sideways, that's just excessive.[/QUOTE]

With a lot of repeating and blabbing. Damn that video went on and on.

[quote name='panzerfaust']im excited as balls for The Last Story to hit next month -- that art direction is right up my alley[/QUOTE]
balls ARE pretty excited.

The middle part of DQ 6 is pretty dull. I'm just wandering around the world helping out random villages while looking for my "real" self and wiping out any minor "Dark Lords" leftover.

18 hours in with no world threatning evil in sight.

I'm nearing the end of August in Persona 3 FES. Why did I take so long to play this game?! It's fucking awesome; one of the very best RPGs I have played in a long time. Now I know why there's so much gushing over the series here.

Been taking my time with it, so I don't know when I'll be done with it... maybe in another week and a half, and that's not including The Answer. No idea when I'll play Persona 4.

Favorite characters? There's so many good ones, but I'm particularly fond of Junpei-kun, Kaz, Yuko, and Koro-chan.

Anyone here getting Diablo III this week? Not picking it up myself, though that may change in the future.

[quote name='blueshinra']
Anyone here getting Diablo III this week? Not picking it up myself, though that may change in the future.[/QUOTE]

All set for Tuesday, taking the dive with like a dozen friends I played D2 with 10 years ago. I'm mixed on what to expect from the game itself, but it's going to be a worthwhile adventure back into my childhood regardless.

[quote name='blueshinra']
anyone here getting diablo iii this week? Not picking it up myself, though that may change in the future.[/quote]

me!

[quote name='blueshinra']I'm nearing the end of August in Persona 3 FES. Why did I take so long to play this game?! It's fucking awesome; one of the very best RPGs I have played in a long time. Now I know why there's so much gushing over the series here.

Been taking my time with it, so I don't know when I'll be done with it... maybe in another week and a half, and that's not including The Answer. No idea when I'll play Persona 4.

Favorite characters? There's so many good ones, but I'm particularly fond of Junpei-kun, Kaz, Yuko, and Koro-chan.

Anyone here getting Diablo III this week? Not picking it up myself, though that may change in the future.[/QUOTE]

Good old stupei. When I almost want to play the game again. Maybe when I am done with Dark Cloud 2.

[quote name='blueshinra']I'm nearing the end of August in Persona 3 FES. Why did I take so long to play this game?! It's fucking awesome; one of the very best RPGs I have played in a long time. Now I know why there's so much gushing over the series here.

[/QUOTE] I just got into Persona myself. Been playing P4 for the last few weeks and really enjoying it. I'm just about finished with it with 70+ hours of gameplay. I was thinking either P3 next or jumping into Shin Megami Tensei Digtal Devil Saga.

[quote name='Indignate']I haven't touched Xenoblade in almost two weeks.

Why do I do this with every game?[/QUOTE]

You're growing up.

Well I've always been growing, so that can't be the case.

And I've never been depressed...or I've always been depressed. Ether way, there hasn't been any radical shift to either side, so that can't be it either.

Well I've had that problem with numerous games, namely the super long ones that insist upon a formula. I started P3 twice and left it at the 20 hour mark both times. Not because it was a bad, but because I felt I'd seen everything the game had in store for me in the remaining 40 hours. Same with Skyrim.

Like, oh these games are great, but I don't need to play anymore of them to understand why. Maybe that's just over complicating the idea of simply disliking a game? But I don't know, I thought I really liked them...

Skyward Sword sits uncompleted too, and I have no desire for it. Playing a bunch of other games instead.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Well I've had that problem with numerous games, namely the super long ones that insist upon a formula. I started P3 twice and left it at the 20 hour mark both times. Not because it was a bad, but because I felt I'd seen everything the game had in store for me in the remaining 40 hours. Same with Skyrim.

Like, oh these games are great, but I don't need to play anymore of them to understand why. Maybe that's just over complicating the idea of simply disliking a game? But I don't know, I thought I really liked them....[/QUOTE]

You just described almost every SRPG for me (except Valkyria Chronicles because it's the only one I've finished).

--

In regards to Diablo 3, I'll be picking that up tomorrow evening after work at midnight hopefully (although we'll see how much time I have to actually play it since work has been busy and I have Fanime coming up next week), I'm still sure I'll make time, at the very least a good block this weekend, to get into it though.

[quote name='raiden_86']I just got into Persona myself. Been playing P4 for the last few weeks and really enjoying it. I'm just about finished with it with 70+ hours of gameplay. I was thinking either P3 next or jumping into Shin Megami Tensei Digtal Devil Saga.[/QUOTE]

It is a bad idea to go from Persona 4 to Persona 3 since they made so much change to the battle system (unless you are playing Persona 3 portable)

[quote name='icebeast']You just described almost every SRPG for me (except Valkyria Chronicles because it's the only one I've finished).[/QUOTE]

Two fuckin levels left for like a year and a half.

[quote name='62t']It is a bad idea to go from Persona 4 to Persona 3 since they made so much change to the battle system (unless you are playing Persona 3 portable)[/QUOTE]

I've heard that before. I jumped the gun because P3 was still in the mail when I received 4 and before I knew it I was really into it. I think I'll play something in between them and not back to back.

for me, if i don't play an rpg often, then i lose the momentum and the drive to play.

i think it was a miracle i finished ToV considering i had a 2-month break somewhere.

damn 9 to 5 job.

I've had a lot of problems finishing RPGs. Right now I have FFX, Persona 3 and Mother 3 all sitting towards the end. As you say, it is about momentum and it is hard to keep momentum with RPGs.

[quote name='blueshinra']Anyone here getting Diablo III this week? Not picking it up myself, though that may change in the future.[/QUOTE]
I'd just like to state that I hate each and every single person who will be playing Diablo 3 on launch.

On a deep and personal level.

[quote name='Indignate']I haven't touched Xenoblade in almost two weeks.

Why do I do this with every game?[/QUOTE]
I dunno. I at least have the excuse of my Wii being in storage.

[quote name='TheLongshot']I've had a lot of problems finishing RPGs. Right now I have FFX, Persona 3 and Mother 3 all sitting towards the end. As you say, it is about momentum and it is hard to keep momentum with RPGs.[/QUOTE]
Had this problem with SMT: Nocturne last year, but I also had a lot going on at the time and the game wasn't really grabbing me.

It's similarly bad when it comes to Pokemon. Love the series, but it took me nine months to beat Platinum, and now White's taking a long time as well, even though the main game seems to be shorter.

[quote name='The Crotch']I'd just like to state that I hate each and every single person who will be playing Diablo 3 on launch.

On a deep and personal level.

I dunno. I at least have the excuse of my Wii being in storage.[/QUOTE]

I expect this to be my Wii's last outing. The main reason I've been enjoying it so much is because I have time with my waifu & kiddo out of town.

I spent most of my time off the last 2 days just doing side missions and tying up lose ends before I tackle the main story. I'm right about to enter Prison Island, I've done every side mission I could find (except for 1) and I'm clocked in at just under 50 hours. I'm guessing I'm at the halfway mark.

yeah i feel like if i don't play an rpg at least once during a week, it's over. that second week becomes so brutal to remember what happened, who my guys are, and what to do.

I'm so pissed right now. I got my shipping confirmation for D3... and it's going to my parent's house! I was buying my dad some PC hardware and shipping it there so I can build him a new PC, and didn't think to change the shipping addy! Might just... "acquire"... a copy and have my dad open it up and read me the key...

[quote name='Zmonkay']I'm so pissed right now. I got my shipping confirmation for D3... and it's going to my parent's house! I was buying my dad some PC hardware and shipping it there so I can build him a new PC, and didn't think to change the shipping addy! Might just... "acquire"... a copy and have my dad open it up and read me the key...[/QUOTE]

You can download the digital copy (See the Diablo 3 OP in the PC section) and then input the key once your dad reads it off to you.

I woke up early and played a few hours before work this morning.. I "rolled" (I'm used to that term I suppose, but it couldn't possibly apply less to Diablo III) a Demon Hunter, really enjoying it so far.

I had a serious Diablo II addiction way back in high school, we'll see how much of a hold it can get now that I'm an adult with responsibilities and such.

[quote name='kainzero']yeah i feel like if i don't play an rpg at least once during a week, it's over. that second week becomes so brutal to remember what happened, who my guys are, and what to do.[/QUOTE]

The chronicle in Radiant Historia is so nice for reminding you of everything that is going on if you take more than a few days off. I just started playing this a few weeks ago and I've been enjoying it pretty well.

Speaking of which: do the enemies level with you in Radiant Historia? I couldn't find conclusive answers to this with a little Googling. Sometimes it seems like the enemies are more powerful than they should be when I revisit a much earlier node. (I'm in Ch 3 right now).

i actually did try to get back into radiant historia but it was way too long since i played and the chronicle wasn't good enough. i didn't even know the people in my party anymore and i hardly remembered my battle tactics.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO finished The Witcher 2. Monster hunting is fun as a witcher, can't wait to see what else CD Projekt has instore.

Off to let Diablo 3 consume me.

The combination of 12 years passing since Diablo II and the "always on" requirement for single player has wicked all desire to play Diablo III from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back