RPG Thread XV Will Hunt and Kill His Brothers and Absorb Their Essence

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='eldergamer']A PSP 3000 or whatever? Used games from gamestop? Sales from PSN?[/QUOTE]

Probably a PSP 3000 (unless you want a 1000), and used games from GS.

Made up my mind, I'm going with Xenoblade. After reading more about that & Witcher 2, Xenoblade just seems like the safer choice for me. I thought Zelda was going to be my Wii's swan song, looks like it's Xenoblade now.

[quote name='Rodimus']Made up my mind, I'm going with Xenoblade. After reading more about that & Witcher 2, Xenoblade just seems like the safer choice for me. I thought Zelda was going to be my Wii's swan song, looks like it's Xenoblade now.[/QUOTE]

Witcher 2 you could get it for $30 in 6 months. Xenoblade probably got a more limited release being GS the only B&M store to carry it.

Yeah, Figured a price drop for Witcher 2 would happen sooner than Xenoblade anyways. I'll pick it up after I see it around $25 on Glyde.

Are there any plans to release Xenoblade on 360 or PS3? It seems like a waste of an apparently great game to only have it on the other system.

[quote name='matrix9280']Are there any plans to release Xenoblade on 360 or PS3? It seems like a waste of an apparently great game to only have it on the other system.[/QUOTE]

It is a nintendo published game, so no

That's too bad. I just figured with the name Xeno that it was either a Namco or Squaresoft game. Oh well guess I'll never play it.

[quote name='matrix9280']Are there any plans to release Xenoblade on 360 or PS3? It seems like a waste of an apparently great game to only have it on the other system.[/QUOTE]

I would love to see a Wii U upgraded port/sequel though. The art style and scope of this game is absolutely fantastic, and is really marred by the Wii's weak graphics capabilities. I've seen screenshots/videos running at 1080p with AA etc through the Dolphin emulator and it looks much much better. Takes away the blurry, foggy look (same with Skyward Sword).

[quote name='eldergamer']So, if I'm considering a PSP to pick up all the RPGs that came out, which I've missed out on. What's the cheapest way to go?

A PSP 3000 or whatever? Used games from gamestop? Sales from PSN?[/QUOTE]

Whatever you can get off ebay cheap, 3000 is the best but I got a 2000 cheap and it has worked quite well for me. So far I've chewed through a good chunk of the PSP RPGs and am currently going through the PSN classics, I've found Arc the Lad to be much more enjoyable as a portable. game.

Xenoblade is great, having a lot of fun with it. It's very addicting just doing all the side quests. The fast travel works like a charm.

About to go in the final dungeon for the Adult Arc in Tales of Graces F. Hopefully I can jump into Xenoblade soon

Anyone played Record of Agarest War?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='voltanis99']Anyone played Record of Agarest War?[/QUOTE]

I bought it for $15 a while back on an impulse buy. I didn't care for it, mediocre at best. It's not bad, but if you're willing to playthrough a SRPG that looks like a PS1 game then you can do better than Agarest War.

speaking of PSP rpgs... i am about to finish Ys Seven. what rpg should i start with next?
Lunar, Star Ocean first departure, Disgaea AoD, Tactics Ogre, FF1, or Legend of Heroes TitS?

and why should i make it the next game i play.

[quote name='dkreegz515']speaking of PSP rpgs... i am about to finish Ys Seven. what rpg should i start with next?
Lunar, Star Ocean first departure, Disgaea AoD, Tactics Ogre, FF1, or Legend of Heroes TitS?

and why should i make it the next game i play.[/QUOTE]

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky or Tactics Ogre.

As for a reason? It's likely the general consensus around here that you'll hear. I'm too lazy to give any meaningful insight today.

[quote name='dkreegz515']speaking of PSP rpgs... i am about to finish Ys Seven. what rpg should i start with next?

Tactics Ogre because it's awesome.

Tactics Ogre, enjoyable story and the PSP version fixed the difficulty problems plus added a lot of post game play that wasn't available in the PS1 version. Although you can't really go wrong with any game on your current list.

Tactics Ogre!

One of my videogame selling regrets was that I got rid of a mint copy of Tactics Ogre on PSX years ago. I don't remember why but I certainly didn't sell it for anything close to what it goes for nowadays. Thankfully the PSP port more than corrected my error.

Started Recettear recently. It's good so far, but I'm getting to the point where I'll have to start a second game cycle, since there's no way I can raise money fast enough. I had triggered one earlier, but reloaded from a save and pushed through. This time, though... I don't have nearly enough time or resources.

Hopefully there will be some small story changes the second time around, and not the same old cutscenes, similar to other JRPGs that do this sort of thing.

Oh, and I beat Soul Nomad last week. Very good battle system, but the story could've used work :p

I don't think there's any real change in NG+. However if you play your cards right, you can have all of your payments ready by end of the second or third payment. I had an awesome playthrough that was around the third payment or so with all dungeons unlocked except for one. Lost it since I reformatted and forgot to backup the save.

[quote name='Draekon']However if you play your cards right, you can have all of your payments ready by end of the second or third payment.[/QUOTE]
That's what I'm planning on doing (also, it's the fourth payment that's going to force the NG+). I have the hang of how everything works now, so hopefully things will go much smoother the second time around.

Yeah, make sure you load up on items before the payment. All your cash goes away, but you keep your items which can be sold for big bucks.

I need to get back to my game to see if I can finish it off.

Anyone familiar with Breath of Fire IV? I can't seem to figure out how to use the skill I just learned. Doesn't show up on my Special menu...

It's a stupid enough question that it isn't answered on the internet. I've looked.

EDIT: lulz, found it.

I remember skills being a little wierd. You had to learn them from enemies (which seemed random) then equiped them somehow, maybe at camp? I forgot how the master system worked into this, if it did at all.

The camera is pretty demonic so far, it's been a long time since I remember a game giving me a headache.

[quote name='The Crotch']
What's the skill?[/QUOTE]

'Burn' lol. I'm only a few hours in.

Asked in the GGT, but I figure I might get better responses from here.

Anyone have a good LP for The Witcher? Given all the good things I've heard about its sequel I tried it out, but it... I...

fuck no.

So, uh, yeah. An LP would be great. Screenshot preferred; not big on video LPs for RPGs. There's nothing in the LP Archive, and a cursory look at SA yields only a couple unfinished video LPs.

[quote name='panzerfaust']The camera is pretty demonic so far, it's been a long time since I remember a game giving me a headache.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't a fan of the forced isometric perspective. Just let me move the camera around freely. Also I wish the camera would've been pulled back a little.

[quote name='The Crotch']That's why you always have Nina in your party![/QUOTE]

If I wanted winged chicks on my camera I'd rather have Victoria Secret Models on my Jimmy Jib.

[quote name='blueshinra']Well, Recettear Loop #2 is going well. I haven't hit the third payment yet and have four times the amount I need for that. Still gotta sell more, though :p

For those who love Prinnies, Nippon Ichi's 20th anniversary logo (also some new artwork from their 20th anniversary game, which doesn't have a title yet): http://andriasang.com/con0pq/nippon_ichi_20/[/QUOTE]

The game looks sweet... Big Noizi Ito fan.

Decided to work through my RPG backlog and start Tales of the Abyss(First time trying a tales game).Pretty good so far other than Luke being such a poor excuse of a main character.

He get's better after he changes his physical appearance to that of the box art cuz for some reason saying it is a spoiler.

Did anybody import The Last Story or was everybody too hung up on Xenoblade to care?

I believe the general consensus in the Xeno/Last Story megathread in the Wii forums was, "Xeno's the real gem, Last Story is love/hate".

[quote name='Indignate']He get's better after he changes his physical appearance to that of the box art cuz for some reason saying it is a spoiler.

Did anybody import The Last Story or was everybody too hung up on Xenoblade to care?[/QUOTE]

Decided to wait for the US release. But I am excited.

[quote name='panzerfaust']alright D3 is pretty meh, will probably buy it anyways though.[/QUOTE]
What a terribly depressing statement.

[quote name='Indignate']He get's better after he changes his physical appearance to that of the box art cuz for some reason saying it is a spoiler.[/QUOTE]

This. He's actually a really good character imho in terms of character development, but to be honest I actually quit playing the first time I played the game because I couldn't stand his whiny ass. Gave the game another shot and honestly, it's probably my favorite in the series.

[quote name='panzerfaust']alright D3 is pretty meh, will probably buy it anyways though.[/QUOTE]

NOOOOooooo! I'm building a new PC and D3 was going to be my first new PC game in almost 5 years... I've actually been hearing a lot of negativity about the open beta, and am considering canceling my preorder and just waiting for a price drop/sale.

Meh, I think Diablo 3 will be fine and I will end up playing the shit out of it for a while. People who dislike something will always be the loudest and the two most prominent complaints contradict themselves, showing that it's going to differ from person to person. Those complaints are usually "Nothing changed." or "Too much changed."

Been replaying Chrono Cross lately. I've completely forgotten how great the game is despite the fact that I've beaten three times already. The music is enough to bring me back, but everything else about the game is superb.

As soon as I finish this, I've got Xenoblade, The Witcher 2 and (next month) Diablo 3 and the Game of Thrones RPG to play.

[quote name='Draekon']Meh, I think Diablo 3 will be fine and I will end up playing the shit out of it for a while. People who dislike something will always be the loudest and the two most prominent complaints contradict themselves, showing that it's going to differ from person to person. Those complaints are usually "Nothing changed." or "Too much changed."[/QUOTE]

It will be fine and I'll still have fun with it, but the game is pretty meh. At least the Open Beta is.

[quote name='Draekon']Meh, I think Diablo 3 will be fine and I will end up playing the shit out of it for a while. People who dislike something will always be the loudest and the two most prominent complaints contradict themselves, showing that it's going to differ from person to person. Those complaints are usually "Nothing changed." or "Too much changed."[/QUOTE]
I'm having trouble imagining Diablo 3 with Bnet 2.0.

It is something that actively does battle with my ability to understand and process information.

[quote name='GhostShark']Been replaying Chrono Cross lately. I've completely forgotten how great the game is despite the fact that I've beaten three times already. The music is enough to bring me back, but everything else about the game is superb. [/QUOTE]

It is Great! No, it's not CT. No, it's not that great of a sequel, but it's still a great game!

[quote name='GhostShark'] Game of Thrones RPG to play.[/QUOTE]

But that can't possibly be good?

[quote name='Indignate']It is Great! No, it's not CT. No, it's not that great of a sequel, but it's still a great game!

But that can't possibly be good?[/QUOTE]

I like to view CT and CC on the same level. Trigger has the better story and characters, but Cross has the better soundtrack and battle system. If I absolutely had to pick one, it would be Trigger because I don't have to dig out of my PS2 to play it. :bouncy:

As for the GoT RPG, I'm a hardcore A Song of Ice and Fire fan so it's an instant buy for me even though there is the potential it might suck. From what I've seen of the game, it looks pretty fun. Nothing new, but fun.

[quote name='Zmonkay']
NOOOOooooo! I'm building a new PC and D3 was going to be my first new PC game in almost 5 years... I've actually been hearing a lot of negativity about the open beta, and am considering canceling my preorder and just waiting for a price drop/sale.[/QUOTE]

It's kinda growing on me now, and it looks great visually. Not too demanding, probably more important to have a nice monitor over anything else.

This new Xenoblade character looks terrifying to use; based on her appearance, I was hoping for some healing magic, but... nope. Will the AI actually do a competent job with her? Will the AI be competent with a non-Reyn tank?

I shall find out tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back