RPG Thread XVI Supports Project Eternity's Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several hours into Birth by Sleep. Me like, but really disappointed to learn there's only 1 FF character in the entire game (besides the moogle shops) WTF Squenix, you get this great opportunity for some fan service and you blow it.

[quote name='Luxuria']Kingdom Hearts 2 was great IMO. Of course, I'm a huge fan of the series so I'm biased. Birth by Sleep was great as well and a step in the right direction. As much as I love all these spin-offs, they need to just stop. I'm hoping 3D is really the last one. I do like the story though and the direction it's headed.

OT: I've been going crazy buying RPGs for the PS2 recently. I'm playing Final Fantasy VIII on the PC and am liking it so far. Wish there were games like it this gen. Also been playing Rogue Galaxy and loving it. Level-5.

[quote name='Rodimus']Several hours into Birth by Sleep. Me like, but really disappointed to learn there's only 1 FF character in the entire game (besides the moogle shops) WTF Squenix, you get this great opportunity for some fan service and you blow it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I noticed that too. They've got tons of KH characters, Disney characters, but less and less FF characters. 3DS doesn't seem to have much either beyond TWEWY stuff, but that totally makes up for it. Really need to play that (TWEWY) again some time.

[quote name='j-cart']As long as you avoid the story mode in P4 Arena then you won't have to worry about any major spoilers. That is if you can avoid the story mode :)

There is more lines of text in P4: Arena than in Persona 4! and that is supposedly after they cut out a large chunk of the story mode dialogue.[/QUOTE]

That's insane, but I'm really pumped for it! That's why I love Arc System Works, they include a shit ton of single player content. I do NOT play online, and none of my friends play fighters, so it's basically all SP for me. Soul Calibur 5 went from day 1 to a shitty rental due to the removal of almost all the single player content that made the series so good.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Yeah, I noticed that too. They've got tons of KH characters, Disney characters, but less and less FF characters. 3DS doesn't seem to have much either beyond TWEWY stuff, but that totally makes up for it. Really need to play that (TWEWY) again some time.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't help that every character in TWEWY is either an unbearable a-hole or an annoying brat.

[quote name='Rodimus']Doesn't help that every character in TWEWY is either an unbearable a-hole or an annoying brat.[/QUOTE]

That's why I quit playing it. Couldn't stand the characters, especially the main one.

The gameplay wasn't that hot either.

[quote name='Rodimus']My problem with the KH games since 1&2 is they seemed to have dropped what made the series in the first place. Disney and FF characters coming togther. The focus has shifted on the series made heroes and villians while the Disney and FF characters take a side seat.[/QUOTE]
i agree with this 100%.

it doesn't help that the heroes and villains (and the story they created with them) are just... awful and complicated.

it annoys me because, come on, it's disney. the stories should be classic and simple and well executed. instead this crap with nobodies and heartless is complicated and organization 13 is... well i don't even know.

the first one is really just "find your buddies, rescue princesses, defeat villains."

now look at the start of the second one:

Sora, Donald, and Goofy have been in suspended animation for the past year to regain their memories lost in Chain of Memories. Meanwhile, Roxas, Sora's Nobody, is trapped in a virtual simulation of Twilight Town, created by DiZ to merge Roxas with his original self to restore Sora's power (part of DiZ's revenge on Organization XIII).[17] DiZ's plans are threatened when Organization XIII's Nobodies, led by Axel, Roxas' former friend in the Organization, infiltrate the virtual town; but Roxas is able to repel the hostiles and finally merges with Sora.[18] Sora, Donald, and Goofy wake up in the real Twilight Town and meet King Mickey and Yen Sid, who send them on another journey. Their goal is to find Riku and stop the plans of Organization XIII, who control the Nobodies—the heartless shell left over when a person with a strong heart is turned into a Heartless. Afterward, Maleficent is resurrected and joins with Pete to continue her quest for power.[19]

seriously wtf

Seriously, why would they need to create all these characters when you already have a massive rooster of great characters to pick from. For example I'm playing Birth by Sleep. How cool would it be for your mentor to someone like Auron (FFX) or Cyan(FF6) instead of Master Eraqus. Or why not have this Organization XIII filled with a few past FF villians?

The Squenix side of the game is sorely under used.

[quote name='kainzero']the first one is really just "find your buddies, rescue princesses, defeat villains."[/QUOTE]

Yep, they really over complicated things.

I liked KH2 over KH1 (which I still do like, nostalgia HD remake buy day 1) because the battle system was better, less gummi crap/filler, a story that went further making you go wtf?, and the introduction of nobodies instead of heartless.

Roxas did not bother me, it was fairly short for how long the game was. That's like saying you hated the Snake part of Metal Gear Solid 2...sorta.

KH2 spoiler?
The game had to setup so that you actually feel for nobodies, otherwise they'll just be like heartless in KH1 and you don't care who you kill

[quote name='Kazaganthi']KH2 spoiler?
The game had to setup so that you actually feel for nobodies, otherwise they'll just be like heartless in KH1 and you don't care who you kill
[/QUOTE]
see, the problem with that is that it over-complicates the game and the feel of it.

again, simple stories executed well. good vs. evil. the fun of traveling and going on a trip. that's what was good about the original KH. KH2 made it worse and i'm assuming these other games just further destroy it. the whole xehanort/nobody/heartless was the most complicated thing ever and by the time it was over i had no idea who or why i was fighting anymore.

Here's what I really didn't like about KH2, plotwise (and I don't think this is much of a spoiler): in the first game, you have to lock the worlds, but in 2, you have to unlock them. I'm sure they shoehorned in some reason given as to why unlocked worlds went from being a bad to a good thing, but damned if I can remember it.

[quote name='Rodimus']Doesn't help that every character in TWEWY is either an unbearable a-hole or an annoying brat.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='whoknows']That's why I quit playing it. Couldn't stand the characters, especially the main one.

The gameplay wasn't that hot either.[/QUOTE]
You guys make me sad :whistle2:(

I didn't hate playing him. The turorial was a bit drawn out but it was fun and no bother at all. I hated him as he pertained to the story. He was thrown in there and adds nothing to game other than making it complicated and contrived.

[quote name='blueshinra']You guys make me sad :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game, it's just the characters were intolerable.

I thought the characters and music in TWEWY were intolerable to a huge extent. I couldn't get past the five hour mark without having to quit the game.

No comment, no DS.

SWTOR on the other hand, we should talk about that. Or The Witcher 2 or Dark Souls again. You guys need to play my set of RPGs :D

I stopped playing SWTOR after clearing all the raids on my 50 Sith Inquisitor. I would like to play it again, but it's not worth the 15 bucks a month that is needed to play (as of now). I pay that much for WoW, I am not doing it for a second game. Though, when it goes F2P, I will be back all over that.

As soon as I see Witcher 2 at a good price I'm picking it up. In fact I'm off to check prices now. Thanks for reminding me.

[quote name='j-cart']No comment, no DS.

SWTOR on the other hand, we should talk about that. Or The Witcher 2 or Dark Souls again. You guys need to play my set of RPGs :D[/QUOTE]

I can talk about Witcher 2. Great dialog, didn't care about the overall story.

Edit:
By the time act 3 came around, I seriously couldn't make a choice, because I didn't care about either country.

[quote name='Indignate']It's not F2P yet.

And if you really want to talk Dark Souls, then just go hit up Uraizen.[/QUOTE]

Dark Souls on the PC is going to be great! Sarcasm!

[quote name='GhostShark']I stopped playing SWTOR after clearing all the raids on my 50 Sith Inquisitor. I would like to play it again, but it's not worth the 15 bucks a month that is needed to play (as of now). I pay that much for WoW, I am not doing it for a second game. Though, when it goes F2P, I will be back all over that.[/QUOTE]

Totally get it. I dropped off because my server had maybe 25 people on fleet during peak times. Talk about trying to group up. Only came back because of server merge and I was able to play with my buddies from a different server.

[quote name='Rodimus']As soon as I see Witcher 2 at a good price I'm picking it up. In fact I'm off to check prices now. Thanks for reminding me.[/QUOTE]

Should have been my Steam friend. Was slinging them during the Steam Summer Sale.

[quote name='elessar123']I can talk about Witcher 2. Great dialog, didn't care about the overall story.

Edit:
By the time act 3 came around, I seriously couldn't make a choice, because I didn't care about either country.
[/QUOTE]

Totally get it, but I ended the game in epic fashion :D

[quote name='j-cart']No comment, no DS.

SWTOR on the other hand, we should talk about that. Or The Witcher 2 or Dark Souls again. You guys need to play my set of RPGs :D[/QUOTE]
I stopped playing SWTOR first month after release. I am waiting to hear if the actually fixed the game so it doesn't decide to just max out my machine while playing. I had some bug or dear god I hope it is, that just had my processor run 100% or close to it off the time all 4 cores while playing TOR (that and every graphic setting did not change the graphics). This is a Core i5 too. I might go back when it goes free, assuming they fixed that, and assuming I am not addicted to GW2 or I ended up buying World of Pandacraft.

Little over half way through Catherine, unsure of what to think so far. The choice aspects in the game don't seem very interesting beyond changing your morality meter, which I assume lines you up for a certain ending. Other than that, Vincent's story is pretty linear and it seems he will continue to torture himself over a question the player may or may not have already answered themselves.

But I guess the game simply wants you to think of his dilemma while weighing in with your own values on the sidelines. It's a pretty common method that Japanese games have in approaching player choice, and I guess don't mind it.

The puzzles are sometimes fun, other times frustrating. I dislike how there is a back row of blocks that you can barely see even when rotating the camera. Also, hanging off a block seems to inverse the controls and it drives me nuts.

Anyways, just hoping there's a good payoff to all of the game's self-inspection of the player.

--

Can anyone tell me why the PS3 version is considered a lot worse? I've noticed slowdown, is that it?

[quote name='panzerfaust']Little over half way through Catherine, unsure of what to think so far. The choice aspects in the game don't seem very interesting beyond changing your morality meter, which I assume lines you up for a certain ending. Other than that, Vincent's story is pretty linear and it seems he will continue to torture himself over a question the player may or may not have already answered themselves.

But I guess the game simply wants you to think of his dilemma while weighing in with your own values on the sidelines. It's a pretty common method that Japanese games have in approaching player choice, and I guess don't mind it.

The puzzles are sometimes fun, other times frustrating. I dislike how there is a back row of blocks that you can barely see even when rotating the camera. Also, hanging off a block seems to inverse the controls and it drives me nuts.

Anyways, just hoping there's a good payoff to all of the game's self-inspection of the player.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen all the endings. I typically play these "moral games" as the dick. The strait-arrow story is always lame. I enjoyed my ending to Catherine. What are you doing with yours?

The puzzle platforming part was fun but it was no match for my divine intellect...... yeah I died alot too.

[quote name='Indignate']Everything in TWEWY was awesome.

Yall are weird.[/QUOTE]

This. Although I have to admit Beat sounds completely retarded actually being voiced in KH:3DS (though true to his white boy trying to be hood character)

And holy crap j-cart, that reminds me I totally need to go back and finish Dark Souls! I rang both bells and I forget what else, I don't think I was that far from finishing the first playthrough, and then the deluge of fall titles came out and I never got back to it... I am ashamed :(

[quote name='Rodimus']I haven't seen all the endings. I typically play these "moral games" as the dick. The strait-arrow story is always lame. I enjoyed my ending to Catherine. What are you doing with yours?
[/QUOTE]

Well it said to answer honestly, so my meter has remained in the middle for most of the game.

[quote name='Indignate']Panzer, what's going on with your PSO2?[/QUOTE]

My game launcher bugged out so I haven't played in a while, need to reinstall I guess. Level 14, I'll get back to it soon I think.

[quote name='panzerfaust']

Can anyone tell me why the PS3 version is considered a lot worse? I've noticed slowdown, is that it?[/QUOTE]

Of Catherine? PS3 was considered the better version, the animated scenes were clearer due to them not being so compressed. Plus there's that whole, 360 D-pad sucking thing.

I never noticed any slowdown either.

[quote name='Rodimus'] The puzzle platforming part was fun but it was no match for my divine intellect...... yeah I died alot too.[/QUOTE]

Same here,
I had to turn it down to easy towards the last few levels, them was hard!

I wrote down the names of the techniques those sheep show you between stages so I could pause & remember them when I would get stuck.

Just finished DDS 2, really like the characters for some reason. 1 thing I didn't like about 2 was
you loose characters left & right, pretty much playing with gale & cielo the whole game, and when you get them back they are lvled up, but they have weak skills since they don't get atma. Someone told me you can skip to the 2nd game, but I think you have to play 1.
Great game after P4. Gonna start Shadow Hearts Covenant next.

Almost finished with Catherine, still can't say I find it all that special. Oddly enough, the puzzles have become quite invigorating, while conversations at the bar or with the sheep are very dry. Easy to relate with Vincent as the everyman, but in light of how the game and its story board operate, I find it difficult to care about what happens or anything I choose to do.

The animated cutscenes are very funny, game should of been an anime.

I thought it looked good, but the moon walking and pathing was kind of driving me nuts. Real problem was that the game kept crashing on me when I did not have it saved.

In other news, my copy of Last Story may not get here until Monday depending on shipping, and I have until the 23rd to complete it.

Isn't the Wii a baller thing to have at college partays?

Are you still gonna be all up in that PSO2? I'm waiting for you to tell me if it's the best thing ever or the greatest thing ever.

Nah, N64 is what gets you laid.

And PSO2 is kinda generic, but I'll get max level in a couple weeks or so and see what the end game is all about.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I thought it looked good, but the moon walking and pathing was kind of driving me nuts. Real problem was that the game kept crashing on me when I did not have it saved.[/QUOTE]
The moonwalking is easily fixeable, and the pathing shouldn't be a problem until you have a big-ish party (though you definitely want to disable AI as soon as Fall From Grace joins you so she doesn't waste her healing spells on The Nameless One or some shit). Can't help much on the crashing, though.

And you shut your whore mouth about the Infinity Engine, whoever that was!

Infinity Engine > All others (at the time... though still a solid engine imho).

Counting down the days for the BG1 HD "remake" and the inevitable BG2...

Might be stuck on the Thursday boss battle on Devil Survivor 2. Hope this isn't a game ender for me. This will probably be my last RPG for the :ds:.

Started Crimson gem Saga on the :psp: not too terribly impressed. Seems pretty generic, and I don't like that the party shares a pool of skill points. (I dumped all of them into the main character before realizing that)

[quote name='eldergamer']Started Crimson gem Saga on the :psp: not too terribly impressed. Seems pretty generic, and I don't like that the party shares a pool of skill points. (I dumped all of them into the main character before realizing that)[/QUOTE]

Same here. I got a couple hours in and quit. Not a bad game, combat was okay, graphics were nice, but so terribly bland.

Still playing Birth by Sleep. Beat Terra's story and probably halfway through with Ventus.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Nah, N64 is what gets you laid.[/QUOTE]

Back in my day it was the Dreamcast. Bitches loved my DDR setup, Space Channel 5 and Power Stone 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back