Rumor- Next Xbox will play Blu Rays and may not play used games. Kinect 2 also.

Backwards compatibility is the main selling point for me.

Space on my TV center is already limited as it is now.
Making room for two MS consoles seems silly to me.

If both the "PS4" & "720" were similar in performance, like the PS3 & 360 are right now, might just go with the PS4.

The 360 would stay where it is for my old games, and the PS4 in the new spot.

[quote name='Dark Rider']No way Microsoft is going to pay their rival for blu ray.[/QUOTE]
Why does everyone believe Sony owns blu ray? They're one of MANY who pushed for the technology, nothing more.

Plus do people really think Microsoft is going to stick to DVD's or better yet a new format for the next console, really? REALLY?

I could only see MS not allowing used game sales if Sony is going to do the same thing. If Sony allows used and MS doesnt, the next xbox will flop. They would be cutting out rentals, bringing games to a friends house, and much more. I could see the xbox after the next one being completely digital so used games would be impossible, but if they are sticking with physical media this time (they pretty much have to) then don't expect blocks for used games unless Sony does the same thing.

[quote name='majorscud']I could only see MS not allowing used game sales if Sony is going to do the same thing. If Sony allows used and MS doesnt, the next xbox will flop. They would be cutting out rentals, bringing games to a friends house, and much more. I could see the xbox after the next one being completely digital so used games would be impossible, but if they are sticking with physical media this time (they pretty much have to) then don't expect blocks for used games unless Sony does the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Even if Sony did it, that would be even more reason for them to not do it, at that point it would benefit them more if they didn't.

Either way it's a bad for business, if used games aren't allowed, I just wont get it, end of story.

This would be fine if new games cost no more than $20 and were guaranteed to have flawless programming from day one. But obviously, the intent here is to make MORE profit. If this ends up being the case, I probably won't move on from this generation of systems (my backlog is big enough to keep me occupied until I'm an old man anyway, lol).

In my opinion, it's this type of crap that causes piracy. It's not good enough to push your system, and make new release games seem like "must haves" via early adopter programs, pre-order bonuses, quality programming, etc. You have to go out and actually eliminate the alternative, nickel and diming your customers, and bullying them into overpaying. Squeeze people tight enough and they're bound to lash back.

In all honesty, with the shitty coding that many games are released with, most of them aren't worth the new price anyway. 2-3 months after release, games are still getting patched just to get them to a non-broken, playable condition. If it wasn't a big site like Kotaku reporting on this, I would think there's no way MS could be this stupid. I guess we'll see.

I remember reading about sony inventing a type of disc where a tiny portion is writable. When you put the disc in, it auto records the serial number of the player. It can only then be played by that player. If MS used this type of tech it would cause a lot of ill will from the gaming community. I know that the PSV locks other accounts from getting trophies if you get a used game, unless you format the game. I wouldn't be surprised if some games don't let you format them.

cant play used games?

- if its imbedded in the hardware.... then what if the hardware breaks down on you and was force to buy a new console?

- if its linked to an online account... then what if for some reason your account gets banned or has been compromised or something?

hmmm... hard to understand... lets just see how this can be implemented if its true...

People hate this so much but love Steam, which has essentially done the majority of the work to eliminate used PC game sales. No physical disc involved but it's the same difference.

Don't get me wrong, I'd hate to see this happen as much as anyone, but this is why I laugh when I hear people try to talk up Steam like it's so great. fuck Steam and any & all digital distribution services (including Live). When I buy a game I want to own it, not own a "license to play it." I bought it and it should be mine to do with as I wish. If that includes reselling it, that's my decision. Our gaming overlords are playing Just the Tip this generation with stuff like tying DLC to a console/gamertag combo & "project 10 dollar" - you had better be prepared to get it rammed in your ass hard next time around. Gross.

Fully expect this story, or at least a variant of it which achieves the same result, to be true.

What's sad is, after half a year of that, people will talk themselves into thinking it's not that bad.

My favorite thing in the article is the claim that publishers are angry with Gamestop for "hurting their sales". Yes, it's Gamestop's fault that no one wants to pay $60 for your cash in movie license game with wonky controls, ugly graphics, and a broken online experience. If these companies are that stupid, they deserve to get replaced by Angry Birds and Farmville. :roll:

EDIT - Follow up article on the subject.
http://kotaku.com/5879439/why-an-xbox-with-anti+used-game-tech-makes-perfect-sense

One of the comments spells it out clear as day. When you buy a used car, the manufacturer doesn't get anything. It's also not a "lost sale". What it means is that your pricing scheme was too high for that person to afford it new. But you don't blame the used car dealer for "ruining your business". You accept that you're catering to a select group of people at those prices. If losing those sales bothers you that much, lower your prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could understand and believe the blu-ray part, but I don't the used game part. I don't see how that would work exactly and knowing MS it wouldn't work correctly.

So i'm guessing every new Xbox game would have a code in the box which you have to punch in so it recognizes the game as "new". If you buy a used game you can to buy the code separately from the marketplace? Thats the only way I think they could do it.

Killing the used game market sounds like suicide. What would happen to terrible games;games that don't sell well and are in short supply?

[quote name='mrx001']Killing the used game market sounds like suicide. What would happen to terrible games;games that don't sell well and are in short supply?[/QUOTE]
Games on demand?

The only way I can imagine blocking used games is by going to a download only platform. People with physical media are going to be very annoyed to be told it is essentially garbage after installation. The next generation seems a bit early to go that route. The transition would likely be more readily executed by a subscription service that further detaches the gamer from a sense of ownership of the software.

Services like Gaikai are not going to be viable for a major portion of the market for many years. The rate of broadband deployment and speeds is the gating factor. So locally installed games will remain a need for at least the next decade and that allows for competing platforms vying for developers. But that doesn't mean the subscription model cannot be done right now if downloads are factored in. It wouldn't be surprising to see Sony or Microsoft offer a cost-reduced version of their next gen consoles that has only three connectors: power, network, and AV output. USB may be a fourth for charging and connecting peripherals.

But no optical drive or support for external drives. Everything is contingent on the content covered by the subscription. At a high enough monthly rate you might not even own the box but instead rent it like a cable box. In fact, it might even BE the cable box and the billing done through that channel.

The Blu-ray thing is pretty much a given. It greatly adds to the utility of the console as a entertainment device. There is only a very small difference in cost for a Blu-ray reader these days and the license costs have already been dealt with by other parts of Microsoft. (The reason you paid for DVD playback on the original Xbox and not on the 360 and Windows Vista/7 is due to a licensing scheme that gets cheaper the more units you sell through. There is similar licensing for Blu-ray playback.)

As far as video disc formats go, Microsoft doesn't have a dog in that fight any more. That came and went a long time ago. HD-DVD wasn't the native disc for the 360 because it and Blu-ray were still mired in DRM negotiations with Hollywood the continued well after the intended 360 launch date.

Sony may be Blu-ray's biggest promoter but it doesn't own Blu-ray, any more than it did DVD. Drives could come from any of a dozen different OEMs. Blu-ray won its battle against HD-DVD but it won a declining market where on demand services are the rising market. For Microsoft to incorporate Blu-ray at this point wouldn't be much to crow about. Not when so many new devices are selling with no optical drive at all.

This is why I hate online passes. Online passes were the first step in this sort of thing. First they require a code for a portion of content, next step, the whole thing. I can totally believe this would happen.

And KaneRobot, you are exactly right. While there is outrage now, there will be a defense force as soon as it is confirmed. There are plenty of people who are ok with online passes. I have three 360s and 3 PS3s in operation in my house, but refuse to pay $10 on top of a $60 game so my kids can play online. But the very idea of online passes pisses me off.

As far as blu-ray in a Microsoft device, makes sense. Sony uses Windows in their PCs.

I don't see the used game market going away any time soon. The only way they could get rid of it is by using basically the current online passes, but for the entire game. This would require that every person have their system online whenever they're using it (or at least every time they get a new game). I think there is still a fair number of people that don't have their consoles online and I don't think Microsoft is going to risk losing those customers.

I do expect every game to include an online pass before long, and these passes could include bonus single-player content as well. Plus I expect more games to be download only and I wouldn't be surprised to see more games have a delayed launch on disc.

I love my 360, but I won't support the next Xbox if they go through with this. No used games? Those are the only kind I play. I really hope this is false.
[quote name='KaneRobot']fuck Steam and any & all digital distribution services (including Live). When I buy a game I want to own it, not own a "license to play it." I bought it and it should be mine to do with as I wish.[/QUOTE]
Preach it. My thoughts exactly, I hate downloadable games I can't freely and easily move over to another computer if I wish. I recently downloaded Amnesia from Amazon because it was on sale for $5, then found out I could only play it if I was online. Never downloading a game from them again. The DRM free Humble Indie bundles have spoiled me.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I do expect every game to include an online pass before long, and these passes could include bonus single-player content as well. Plus I expect more games to be download only and I wouldn't be surprised to see more games have a delayed launch on disc.[/QUOTE]

I think it's inevitable that we're going to transition to these sorts of models. It's going to be a fairly drawn out process though, MS probably isn't going to do something drastic like go disc-less or try to cut off used game sales with their next console. This rumor doesn't pass the smell test.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']
When you buy a used car, the manufacturer doesn't get anything. It's also not a "lost sale". What it means is that your pricing scheme was too high for that person to afford it new. But you don't blame the used car dealer for "ruining your business". You accept that you're catering to a select group of people at those prices. If losing those sales bothers you that much, lower your prices.[/QUOTE]

Apples and oranges, people tend to buy more than one video game every 5+ years, or however often people buy a car. A used car price is not $5 - $10 (or the equivalent percentage) less than a new car, and you don't get a flat rate on your used car trade-in regardless of condition, you get a dollar amount based on the condition of the vehicle. The shit that Gamestop tries to pass off in 'used' condition is insulting to the consumer and I am all for MS trying to find a way to get this used game money into the hands of the developers that are making the games.

Gamestop makes the majority of their profits on used game sales, but they have taken zero steps to implement any type of standards for what they take in (case/manual/game not beat to hell), or give appropriate compensation according to the condition of the item. This says that they don't have any concerns for the gamer or the industry, just their bottom line, so fuck them.

I feel like we've heard all this before, weren't people saying the PS3 would have some anti used games feature?

I'll believe it when I see it, if it is true I won't be buying the new Xbox till there are decent games available for $19.99

[quote name='benjamouth']I feel like we've heard all this before, weren't people saying the PS3 would have some anti used games feature?

I'll believe it when I see it, if it is true I won't be buying the new Xbox till there are decent games available for $19.99[/QUOTE]

Yeah I recall that too, wasn't it something like Sony were going to ban sales of used games?

[quote name='youbastards']Apples and oranges, people tend to buy more than one video game every 5+ years, or however often people buy a car. A used car price is not $5 - $10 (or the equivalent percentage) less than a new car, and you don't get a flat rate on your used car trade-in regardless of condition, you get a dollar amount based on the condition of the vehicle. The shit that Gamestop tries to pass off in 'used' condition is insulting to the consumer and I am all for MS trying to find a way to get this used game money into the hands of the developers that are making the games.

Gamestop makes the majority of their profits on used game sales, but they have taken zero steps to implement any type of standards for what they take in (case/manual/game not beat to hell), or give appropriate compensation according to the condition of the item. This says that they don't have any concerns for the gamer or the industry, just their bottom line, so fuck them.[/QUOTE]

I like how you shoot down my analogy with "apples to oranges" and then just break into a rant about Gamestop, lol. I realize that the article mentions Gamestop specifically because they're the "big name" in the used game market, but it has been my opinion for years now that smart consumers do not buy used games at Gamestop (outside of a pricing mistake or occasional B2G1 that somehow results in a deal).

Yes, the structure that Gamestop has set up of undercutting new prices by $5 is stupid. But the people who are willing to acquire a used game for only a $5 savings are even more stupid (Little Timmy's mom says "hello"). My concern in eliminating used game sales is not Gamestop. It's Gamefly, GoHastings, Amazon Warehouse Deals, Ebay, etc. Ya know...places that actually have DEALS on used games (and most let you know exactly what you're getting too).

If publishers have a legitimate problem with Gamestop, then cut them off. Don't allow them to sell your games new, and reduce them to ONLY being a used game store. Between Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, ToysRUs, etc. there are plenty of other B&M stores to sell those games...not to mention Amazon, Buy.com and other online retailers as well. And I would say the same thing for Gamestop (though it's much less of a threat due to the stores listed above...though they still are the #1 store for stupid people to buy games). If publishers threaten to go "anti-used games", then tell them you'll stop carrying their games new. See who blinks first.

But unfortunately, the target is bigger than that. They want ALL used game sales eliminated because they have the same delusions that the RIAA had. "Getting rid of the alternative = MOAR PROFITS!!!" Except it doesn't. Just because someone can no longer obtain the product for less doesn't just automatically mean they'll be willing to pay your prices. There are very few games that I just "have to have" at $60. If that becomes my only option, I'll find a new hobby. As the saying goes, pride comes before a fall.

I'm in a minority here but I don't think MS will use Blu-ray. Yes, it's primarily owned by Sony and Sony really effed MS and Toshiba when they paid off Warner brothers to kill HD DVD. MS is not shy about the fact that they want everything to go digital distribution. They only wanted HD DVD to last long enough for Digital distribution of movies to be more mature. It's part of their grander plan to push digital content as the replacement for bluray so why would they want to support bluray?

I believe the anti-used games efforts. Who knows what they will be but I know for a fact that all publishers support it. They support it so much that MS can very likely get a lot of exclusive titles if Sony doesn't support it.

Again, everything WILL go digital distribution. Physical media's life is near its end. I don't know if the next gen is when it will die - but it will die in the next ten years. If Microsoft decides that they still must go with physical media, you can expect stuff like digital only early launches and/or discounts.

If the next Xbox uses physical media my bet is they use a proprietary format/laser (another anti-piracy measure) for games, not movies.

You all can pretend you will throw in the towel on gaming when this happens but you won't.

The video game industry makes a ton of money. More than the movie business as a perspective. Even though the gaming outrage over this new sales transition would be immense,in the end I can see us sucking it up and just getting with the program. The demand is definitely there and games are addicting enough. I can see the digital transition coming. Like it or not.

And for the record I totally want the used game business to continue. Anybody on this board would be crazy to not think the same. Problem is the majority of the video game customers are not really CAGs and have the same mindset about used games as we do.

MS will still put a disc drive in their next system. It will use a high density format. Third party will ask for it for their multiplatform games. Besides with going digital, publishers/developers will make less money and retailers will not be happy. And I don't want charge extra by my ISP, incase I go over my bandwidth limit.

[quote name='retro.elite']MS will still put a disc drive in their next system. It will use a high density format. Third party will ask for it for their multiplatform games. Besides with going digital, publishers/developers will make less money and retailers will not be happy. And I don't want charge extra by my ISP, incase I go over my bandwidth limit.[/QUOTE]

I can totally see MS doing their own proprietary disc format. They may even eventually trickle out some HD movies on it that are far higher bitrate than bluray just to pull in videophiles.

[quote name='srr']Where is this 'primarily owned by Sony' junk coming from re: Blu?[/QUOTE]

I realize bluray is a pie with hundreds of fingers in it but I am relatively certain that Sony makes the most royalties off every disc manufactured if not players as well. I believe they also own the most bluray disc manufacturing facilities and/or make bluray manufacturing machines.
I could be wrong but I don't have time at the moment to research it.

Royalties are split among a number of BDA members - I can only find an analyst guess that Philips makes more than Sony per disc. Regardless - even at the head of the table you are talking about a number of big technology companies.

To call it primarily owned by Sony is baseless.

Sony doesn't own blu ray, MS would be stupid to NOT let the new xbox play blu rays. Blu ray is the new DVD and nothing more. Sony backed blu ray and Microsoft backed HD-DVD, neither of them created the formats. I don't know why people don't understand this.

I must be the only person that doesn't give a shit about not being able to play used games on 720. I don't even remember the last time I bought a used game, there's enough good deals on new games anyway, it's not that big of a deal. What does surprise me is that game publishers seem to have a great relationship with Gamestop, what with giving them pre order bonuses and whatnot. It's a pretty bold move for Microsoft to blatantly say "fuck you" to Gamestop. I guess this is so they can in a way cut out the middle man if they're going to be using digital downloads.

Sony was a significant part of creating the format.

I think:
-proprietary format would cost too much
-pure digital download isn't available enough - broadband availability, bandwidth caps, etc (also because of hard drive size concerns)
-needs to go blu for both game capacity and entertainment purposes

I don't see any reason that used games would be going anywhere with this generation. I don't think enough has changed (from the exact same rumors in previous console generations). Live Arcade's success is a step in that direction, sure, but I think it will take several more (large) steps.

If M$ thinks they will get away with banning used games on their next system, they are about as dumb as a box of rocks.

Between this and the current online pass scheme, I'm surprised no one has tried to sue under the first-sale doctrine. If a game is worth nothing once it's been opened, then why should it be worth $60 because of a layer of shrink wrap?

If a game is worth nothing once it's been opened, then why should it be worth $60 because of a layer of shrink wrap?

I think that's the whole issue. They are going to see diminishing returns on a slew of anything other than major A-grade titles if a non-used play structure is instituted. Hell, most of the games on the market offer 5-7 hours of single player and multiplayer that's only good for a certain amount of time...and they're expecting people to unload $60 for that, and get NOTHING in return when they're done? I think a lot of people right now pay the MSRP money because they know they can get something back when they're through with the game, however much it is. They are going to kill their own market if that's the road they're going to travel down, no doubt about it, especially among younger consumers who comprise the bulk of their sales.

I can't see the new Xbox just having a standard DVD drive though, I mean some games now ship on three discs+ imagine the new games for the next console surely none of them will fit on a standard DVD disk.

I would not really be effected by the 'used game' thing as I don't buy them, and I don't care that much about selling/trading games anymore.

I hate having options removed from consumers that pay for a product though. This is *not* a good thing. I don't believe when I buy a physical copy of a game that I am paying for a license to play the game - I believe I fucking own that game and can do whatever the hell I want with it. Telling me otherwise pisses me off, even if I would typically just do what they want anyways, which is just to sit on it after I beat it.

[quote name='KaneRobot']People hate this so much but love Steam, which has essentially done the majority of the work to eliminate used PC game sales. No physical disc involved but it's the same difference.

Don't get me wrong, I'd hate to see this happen as much as anyone, but this is why I laugh when I hear people try to talk up Steam like it's so great. fuck Steam and any & all digital distribution services (including Live). When I buy a game I want to own it, not own a "license to play it." I bought it and it should be mine to do with as I wish. If that includes reselling it, that's my decision. Our gaming overlords are playing Just the Tip this generation with stuff like tying DLC to a console/gamertag combo & "project 10 dollar" - you had better be prepared to get it rammed in your ass hard next time around. Gross.

Fully expect this story, or at least a variant of it which achieves the same result, to be true.

What's sad is, after half a year of that, people will talk themselves into thinking it's not that bad.[/QUOTE]

i sort of disagree with that because people i think get steam more for convenience of not having to manage a bunch of disks and them generally offer really cheap discounts over retail. you can also log into steam on other pcs without a problem. the problem is a lot of games want to fight piracy so they pretty much force ya to use a steam like platform so people wanting the benefits of lets say a drm free cd install are not going to get it. do see the point in not being able to sell the game afterwards tho.

i hope if they do get rid of used games that the 720 will adopt more digital services like steam so i dont have to use a cd to play my games and it'll give people more choices in buying games over the overpriced microsoft market. :)

[quote name='saunderscowie']I can't see the new Xbox just having a standard DVD drive though, I mean some games now ship on three discs+ imagine the new games for the next console surely none of them will fit on a standard DVD disk.[/QUOTE]

There is no way it will have a standard DVD drive. But I'll be surprised if it has a Bluray drive.

[quote name='majorscud']I remember reading about sony inventing a type of disc where a tiny portion is writable. When you put the disc in, it auto records the serial number of the player. It can only then be played by that player. [/QUOTE]

I can see this actually working. Two major things though. First Sony & MS(maybe Nintendo?) would have to be on board and instead of being tied to the system, it would have to be tied to your account. That way once you've registered Halo 5, it doesn't matter what copy of Halo 7 is in the drive(i.e. you bought new, played & sold and then re-bought/borrowed later), they know you bought and registered a new copy.

Picture a free one-time use code on disc. You put that new disc in and the system reads the disc and ties that code/game to your account. Assuming this is a re-writable disc, it simply erases that code or generates a new one. Once this disc is inserted into another console for another user, it flags it as being used via the new or missing code and said user would have to pay the $10 activation fee.

It's essentially "project $10" but all done behind the scenes without the need for DLC codes or separating out content just for DLC ala, Catwoman.

In this scenario, Gamestop would survive(but would have to adjust their inflated prices to account for the $10) and publishers get the $10 for every used copy sold. Assuming used prices started to fall in line to account for the $10, then gamers really wouldn't be affected. You used game still has value, and you can still play any game.

This, of course, still relies on a persistent online connection.

Just tossing out ideas. Don't crucify me. :)

So many problems with this..

This system will obviously require internet access, not everyone has internet access at home, let alone wireless internet. I know a ton of people here with offline 360's. This alone is going to kill a ton of sales. Wireless broadband internet doesn't appear magically across the whole USA.

Retailers will start refusing to sell this system if they can't sell games and the games are download only. Retailers do not make much profit on new games. Gamestop makes all their money on used games. I really can't see GS selling a system that would essentially hurt their business model. Gamestop customers also expect that they will be able to trade in a game that is bought there, regardless of how low the trade in value is. Other retailers like Target and Walmart make money off the sale of systems and overpriced accessories, the systems and games are just there to get the initial sale but in reality they expect you to pick up the system, accessories and some games when you purchase a system there.

More retailers are starting to get into used games like Best Buy too, so I don't think they would be too keen on selling a system that does not play used games.

If MS can't get the system into stores then they are gonna have an awful hard time selling it.

A lot of people also trade in games then put that money towards a new game. Most people only have so much to spend on gaming every year, so if games are set at a fixed $60 price and never go down in price which I find hard to believe then that means people will only buy the AAA titles, perhaps only one game a year, play it to death, and they definitely won't be buying the latest movie cash in game for that price. Not everyone is used to the $60 price tag, plenty of people will only buy games when they hit 19.99. I can't see parents paying $60 for the latest movie cash in, but they will pay 19.99 for it.

I'd definitely bow out of gaming if that ended up being true across the board.

I have no interested in collecting games. If I can't trade/resell them after beating them, it's just not worth the money to me. Hell, I'm already iffy on whether to buy any next gen consoles without such restraints being added as games are huge time sinks that I have a harder and harder time justifying making time for.

Steam gets away with it because they have crazy sales. Yeah, the cost-benefit analysis is basically, "No used games, but goddamn, $12 for every GTA game ever, including GTA4 expansions." Xbox Live doesn't have nearly as many sales, and when they do they aren't as good.

[quote name='KaneRobot']People hate this so much but love Steam, which has essentially done the majority of the work to eliminate used PC game sales. No physical disc involved but it's the same difference.

What's sad is, after half a year of that, people will talk themselves into thinking it's not that bad.[/QUOTE]
i see you hate on digital gaming, the only thing thats different in digital is the fact you cant resell it. (edit there is overpricing which is only do to microsteal)

your phrase "its mine and i can choose to do with it what i please (physical copy)" annoys me when i see people say it. why? its a video game whether in physical form or not you do the same thing with it PLAY IT

But the resell point is a big sticking point for a lot of us.

I'm not willing to pay very much for a game I can't resell or trade on Goozex etc. as I'm not that super into gaming, and not at all into collecting games as I rarely ever replay a game after beating it.

If it ended up like steam where there were lots of cheap sales, then I'd be ok with it I guess. But not if games are still coming out at $50-60 and the best games are rarely on sell for below $30 etc.

I'm not even sure why there is a debate about blu ray. Obviously it will use them. This no used games thing seems a bit out there. They would definitely be giving up a lot of marketshare if they do that.

I'm one of those people that believe in ownership. I want to sell my shit on ebay when I don't want it anymore. If I can't resell it then my shelf is going to fill up with disks I will never again use. At that point there's no difference in buying the disk vs buying a download game other than the disk takes up space. I doubt this will happen but if it does I'll have a hard time convincing myself to buy the Xbox 3. Id probably just go with PS4. If they did it too then I'm not sure what I would do.

[quote name='dmaul1114']But the resell point is a big sticking point for a lot of us.

I'm not willing to pay very much for a game I can't resell or trade on Goozex etc. as I'm not that super into gaming, and not at all into collecting games as I rarely ever replay a game after beating it.[/QUOTE]

You make a very good point. The game companies can do whatever they want and they have my blessing. But I hypothesize that if they take away the ability to resell, they simply deteriorate the value of the game. This means that at every price level, $60, $40 and so on, they'll see less sales, if video game consumers take reselling into account. This assumes they do sell or trade games.

This is why I bought into Steam (and more recently Amazon, as they are competing well with Steam for my business). Getting an older but great game for $5 during a sale basically means they "compensated" me for my inability to resell the game. I'm satisfied and then some.

So I think that if Sony and Microsoft get in on this action, those price points better be lowered if they want me to behave the same way I did before.

One caveat. Industry growth has been on a long-term upward trend, and this may mask any effects from such poor decisions.

[quote name='majorscud']I remember reading about sony inventing a type of disc where a tiny portion is writable. When you put the disc in, it auto records the serial number of the player. It can only then be played by that player. If MS used this type of tech it would cause a lot of ill will from the gaming community. I know that the PSV locks other accounts from getting trophies if you get a used game, unless you format the game. I wouldn't be surprised if some games don't let you format them.[/QUOTE]
"Once the PSN key has been consumed with a disk it cannot be resold/ replayed with the second user adding a sub," Sony Online Entertainment recently confirmed. "Only the original consumer can use that account. Disk and account are one."
Basically, the key is attached to your PSN account and can't be reused by another subscriber, and secondhand buyers won't be able to apply for a new key with old copies of the game. Bummer. -http://www.neoseeker.com/news/15822-dc-universe-online-serial-keys-are-one-time-use-only/

I think sony already have this implemented with DCUO when it was originally disc based before it went free to play a few months ago. I guess Sony already have everything in place to make it possible with the PS3 if they feel like it.:whistle2:#

bread's done
Back