Rumor: PS3 to block used games

Another reason to not play on the internet. I'm perhaps a bit old but I have never caught the 'play live online fever' that so many have. Meh...if Sony wants to do this I don't care, I don't connect online for games, if sony wants to make me connect to the internet to play a game...well than I just won't buy nor play it. I have an xbox and never went with xbox live, but I can still play games with no problems, I might miss an update.. but this update crap is just enabling publishers to rush out incomplete product, why do we put up with it? Why enable crap to be released? Someone might find a rogue example but when I buy a car I expect to be able to turn the key, engine starts and then my automobile is used. Sure there might be a rare recall but that is for something usually 'small' I can still use my car although my rear window might fall out. Is there anything else that one can put out an incomplete project and make sure the buyers will not nor cannot use it?

[quote name='Mr.Answer']Another reason to not play on the internet. I'm perhaps a bit old but I have never caught the 'play live online fever' that so many have. Meh...if Sony wants to do this I don't care, I don't connect online for games, if sony wants to make me connect to the internet to play a game...well than I just won't buy nor play it. I have an xbox and never went with xbox live, but I can still play games with no problems, I might miss an update.. but this update crap is just enabling publishers to rush out incomplete product, why do we put up with it? Why enable crap to be released? Someone might find a rogue example but when I buy a car I expect to be able to turn the key, engine starts and then my automobile is used. Sure there might be a rare recall but that is for something usually 'small' I can still use my car although my rear window might fall out. Is there anything else that one can put out an incomplete project and make sure the buyers will not nor cannot use it?[/QUOTE]
You said the exact same thing yesterday... Here's my response from then.

[quote name='dafoomie']It has nothing to do with going online...

Theres an authorization code on a part of the disc, and once your PS3 (or whichever device this is used for) reads it, it copies it, and then erases it with its laser. No going on the internet required.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dafoomie']You said the exact same thing yesterday... Here's my response from then.[/QUOTE]

Don't you get it? He won't play online, problem solved!

;)

SCE has been one of Sony's very few profitable divisions over the last couple of years. So it seems that their thinking is (potentially) to exploit that market for all they can. They're certainly testing the waters now w/their software (I don't remember the name of it) that blocks their new CD's from being ripped and/or burned. If they do go through w/this I'll own one less console next gen. Sorry, Sony, you don't get to tell me how or where to buy my games.

[quote name='dafoomie']You said the exact same thing yesterday... Here's my response from then.[/QUOTE]

That was my mistake, I went to bed and when I checked the morning papers, email etc, Cag was still open and had my response still in the reply mode like it hadn't been sent. I assumed it wasn't sent so I hit post. Sorry about the two day double post.

Ok even if this patent is dealing with just blu-ray movies and not games I still have issuses with it. As far as I am concerned my dvd player does not need to be hooked up to the net so how is it going to check to make sure it is okay to play it.

I am still a little unclear as how a regular laser can alter and finalized disc, but maybe I missed that part since I just skimmed the patent article. If someone could explain this I would appreciate it.

One other thought I have concerning the movie end of this is, if blu-ray takes off and becomes the next "standard" some people, like myself, probably would have more than one player in their home. If each movie could only be played on one player I wouldn't buy it. Hell even if I didn't have multiple players what happens if I get a power spike or my player dies... are you telling me I would have to rebuy every single movie I own on blu-ray? I can't see any company purposely screwing it's customers like that, because why would anyone buy one then?

This whole DRM thing has gotten out of control, it blows my mind that I can go and buy a CD that won't play in my computer because it's not safe for the disc to be read by the drive.... I've had friends who couldn't play cd's the bought in their cars. I think the whole industry needs to be real careful or instead of preventing piracy they will just drive down sales are people get pissed off that they can't use the movie/game/cd they just bought

[quote name='Mr.Answer']That was my mistake, I went to bed and when I checked the morning papers, email etc, Cag was still open and had my response still in the reply mode like it hadn't been sent. I assumed it wasn't sent so I hit post. Sorry about the two day double post.[/QUOTE]
Thought it was weird... Oh well. The site has been acting funny when you hit post sometimes.

Gamecube would sell more units in 2007 than ps3 if his hapend .

I secretly wish a cheap system would come out like nintendos revolution and have this feature just because id like to see gamestop and eb have to re evaluate there entire buisness and possibly run it the right way.

[quote name='extzed']I am still a little unclear as how a regular laser can alter and finalized disc, but maybe I missed that part since I just skimmed the patent article. If someone could explain this I would appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

Remember how the NES system came with R.O.B. the Robot?

famirobot.jpg

Well similarly, each PS3 will be packaged with a Cyborg accessory. If you attempt to put a used game in your PS3, the Cyborg will take it out and incinerate it with his laser eyes.

terminator-2.jpg

[quote name='camoor']Remember how the NES system came with R.O.B. the Robot?

http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repository/nes/peripherals/images/famirobot.jpg

Well similarly, each PS3 will be packaged with a Cyborg accessory. If you attempt to put a used game in your PS3, the Cyborg will take it out and incinerate it with his laser eyes.

http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry/Documents/terminator-2.jpg[/QUOTE]

That's absurd. Being a Japanese product, the cyborg you speak of will actually be Godzilla. If you attempt to insert the used or copied game, he will breath is radioactive fire and melt you ps3 and anything else within a 5 foot radius. Sheesh...cyborg, yeah right.

[quote name='GreenMonkey']This is more likely to occur for Blu-ray movies than videogames, if there is any likelihood at all.[/QUOTE]
This was recently debunked, a Sony spokesman came out and said they won't do this with games. Didn't mention movies though.

As long as I'm not forced to keep a game I think sucked holy ass, I'm good. To hell with the movies let'em lock those. It'll destroy BluRay movie sales faster then Betamax and we'll be left with one format again. I dont mind using my PS2 as a movie player on ocasion when I dont feel like switching wires for the DVD player, after the first few years when the PS2 was all I had, eventually I came to have like 5 differnent movie players. That same can likely happen here, only I wont care about bluray movies because I dont have a TV that cantake advantage of the improved visuals of the movie.

it's kinda like saying; Why should I buy a movie UMD for my PSP when I can just rip my dvds to a Gigstick to watch on the go?

Sony probably was really thinking in this direction, otherwise they wouldn't have developed the technology. But with the huge backlash over the XPC thing in their CD's, I doubt they'll be stupid enough to follow through with this.

bread's done
Back