Rumor (w/ good source): Amazon PS3 & Wii Restock Soon!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Via Kotaku

I normally wouldn't post a rumor like this here, but this story comes from the same site (CrunchGear) that first broke the rumor about the $100 Xbox 360's, and that turned out to be true. Sounds like they've got a man on the inside.

We’ve just received information from a reliable source that Amazon will soon have the Nintendo Wii and the Sony PlayStation 3 readily available. There is no specific date currently set, but it will be “in the coming days.”
It's probably a good idea to keep on checking Amazon frequently if you are on the lookout for these systems as they sell the systems without bundles and have free shipping.

:ps3:
PS3 60GB

PS3 20GB

:wii:
Wii

So is this the console by itself or in a bundle, if it was by itself that would be promising. Otherwise ill be out early on the 17th :(

fuck... I need to know when the "coming days" are. I told my family I want a Wii for Christmas, and if my Mom can just one click order one from Amazon I will definitely get one.

Thanks for the heads up, Cheapy! If they get the Wii in stock before Sunday, I might try to order one and save myself some sleep on Sunday!

Man, I really need to get a Wii. It's getting ridiculous. And I HATE buying things full price in store. I need specifics!

[quote name='2Fast']Hmmm..I might be down for a 60GB PS3.[/quote]

No, bad idea, I own one and its not worth $600 yet. Wait until March when theres a couple of games. But of course if you have the cash then it wont really matter when you purchase it if you plan on keeping it.

[quote name='b3b0p']I've saving this AMEX 25% Amazon coupon just for a Wii. Hope they have enough to go around.[/QUOTE]

You know you can use the coupon multiple times for savings of up to 150 total (600 purchased) -- once it's associated with your account as long as you pay with the amex card it'll continue to take off a discount. So you can use it for another $350 in purchases if all you're buying is the wii. No need to save it :)

I'd love to pick up a PS3, but I'm just not going to set here for the next three days or so hitting refresh, which is pretty much what you would have to do, since they will most likely sell out in under 60 seconds. And yeah, I'm fully aware it's not worth $600, but I still want one, dammit, just not that bad. Thanks for the heads up, though.

I have a question:

Would I have just as much of a chance getting a Wii on Amazon with a money order as someone would with a credit card? Seeing as how the credit card is instant and you have to send out the money order which takes a few days, I would figure the answer would be "no".

[quote name='cleaver']How do you get the Amex coupon? Can you buy them off ebay?[/QUOTE]
Believe it ended today.

http://mylifemycard.com

The coupon is tied to the credit card. Not transferable I would assume.

[quote name='getmyrunon']You know you can use the coupon multiple times for savings of up to 150 total (600 purchased) -- once it's associated with your account as long as you pay with the amex card it'll continue to take off a discount. So you can use it for another $350 in purchases if all you're buying is the wii. No need to save it [/quote]

Are you sure? I'll go read my fine print again. But I thought it said only once up to $600 or $150 discount or something like that.

Well I'd imagine since BB, CC, and TRU are getting new shipments to sell Sunday Amazon would as well. The only problem there is they can post the product up at anytime. I wish I would've found this out earlier. I wanted to order a system alone but since I have had no luck I purchased a TRU bundle.

Ebay.

I just did a search on ebay and many PS3's are currently going for under retail.

One just ended that I was watching for $580. Free shipping. 3 Blueray movies and 1 game. Tiger Woods. I dont have the money but some of you guys do.

If you want a PS3 get one off ebay. You'll save money. Poor ebay profiteers.

[quote name='j.elles']Ebay.

I just did a search on ebay and many PS3's are currently going for under retail.

One just ended that I was watching for $580. Free shipping. 3 Blueray movies and 1 game. Tiger Woods. I dont have the money but some of you guys do.

If you want a PS3 get one off ebay. You'll save money. Poor ebay profiteers.[/quote]

:lol: That serves 'em right.

[quote name='j.elles']Ebay.

If you want a PS3 get one off ebay. You'll save money. Poor ebay profiteers.[/quote]

I've noticed that too. Seems like the average selling price I've seen is $700 (60GB) or so. Those that are making profits are only getting about $50-$75 tops.

My original plan was to camp out for lauch, sell one PS3 for at least double the price, hold onto the cash, and basically get one for free next year when they were more plentiful next year. That fell through when I couldn't get off work for the required 3 days and when I found out blockbuster got none.

Well why pay $600 for a PS3 when ur going to get maybe 1 or 2 good games till April/March? The Wii has a better launch lineup, more titles, and is cheaper.
Regardless I want to grab a Wii this Sunday via camping, if not I dont mind waiting till January.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Well why pay $600 for a PS3 when ur going to get maybe 1 or 2 good games till April/March? The Wii has a better launch lineup, more titles, and is cheaper.
Regardless I want to grab a Wii this Sunday via camping, if not I dont mind waiting till January.[/quote]
Well I figured it was worth it to get one for free if I could've got one at launch, cash in on the launch hype, save the profits, then buy later when they are plentiful and more games are out.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Well why pay $600 for a PS3 when ur going to get maybe 1 or 2 good games till April/March? The Wii has a better launch lineup, more titles, and is cheaper.
Regardless I want to grab a Wii this Sunday via camping, if not I dont mind waiting till January.[/quote]

Meh, the Wii Launch lineup is lackluster like the PS3.

Could have sworn reading in the Amazon forums that they will be sending out emails to those that signed up for the alerts. Then again, what good would that do? By giving out release information, we'll just have another site meltdown like that day with the $100 360s.

[quote name='Blade70']Meh, the Wii Launch lineup is lackluster like the PS3.[/quote]

:whistle2:s

zelda_twilight_princess_160705-781924.jpg

Zelda not your style?

[quote name='b3b0p']Believe it ended today.

http://mylifemycard.com

The coupon is tied to the credit card. Not transferable I would assume.

Are you sure? I'll go read my fine print again. But I thought it said only once up to $600 or $150 discount or something like that.[/quote]
That's what the certificate says, but it's not true. It can be transferred and used by anyone and it keeps giving you 25% off until you reach $600. Expires 1/31.

There's a google group for trading/sales of the wish certificates here
http://groups.google.com/group/MyWishList-Cert?hl=en

You also don't need to use an American Express card. All you do is purchase Amazon gift cards with whatever card you want to use, then apply them towards your purchase. It works so long as you have an Amex card as your default payment type, even if it doesn't get charged.

Meh, the Wii Launch lineup is lackluster like the PS3.

Well, the two have different meanings of the word "lackluster" for me. The PS3 just has a lot of 'play-it-safe' games that are redundant (for 360 owners, anyway), predictable, and nondescript. The Wii, on the other hand, has a lot of titles that are unique by nature, but really aren't particularly good.

Outside of Twilight Princess, I don't think History is going to be too kind to the Wii 'launch window' lineup (ending, in my opinion, next week). I'm not even going to get into the fans and Red Steel, as I know that'll turn into a quote-n-flame-a-thon.

EDIT: Oh yeah, on topic...as little as I want a PS3 right now, I'm still going to watch this closely on behalf of my brother, who is one of those people that defaults to Sony not out of loyalty or research, but out of comfort and laziness. Sadly, I think people like him determine how the consoles' successes and failures shake down each generation.

hm...drats my coupon's up for sale right now...maybe I shouldn't have been so hasty...

Oh well there's still toys r us...but with tax...

[quote name='Blade70']Besides Zelda OF COURSE![/quote]

Maybe Nintendo just figures Zelda will hold you over until Smash Brothers which will then hold you over until Mario Galaxy, and by then they'll have more developers on board for the Wii.

Regardless I want to grab a Wii this Sunday via camping, if not I dont mind waiting till January.[/QUOTE]

Um, because the Wii is a gamecube with a stupid controller that half-assed works? Seriously, it is horriblely outdated RIGHT NOW. But to each his own, I suppose. Although, granted, the PS3 has, at best, 3 exclusive games worth playing at the moment. I'll be honest. I wanted a Wii, but as it gets more and more successful, it is turning the industry toward a very dangerous place, that I really don't want to see it go. I just can't support it. Personally, I'd rather play Call of Duty 10 than Excite Truck 10. And in response to the PS3s on ebay: they aren't selling because, at this point, the vast majority of the auctions are scams, and ebay/paypal is doing nothing to help people recover their money. It doesn't take too many "I pissed away $700+" stories to scare a WHOLE lot of people off, myself included. I want a PS3, and the prices, on the surface, look good, but it's simply not worth the risk. It's kind of funny. Amazon.com's PS3 board has several stories of jackass resellers returning the systems to stores to get their money back because they can't successfully complete an auction. Now that is fucking funny.

[quote name='mietha']And in response to the PS3s on ebay: they aren't selling because, at this point, the vast majority of the auctions are scams, and ebay/paypal is doing nothing to help people recover their money. It doesn't take too many "I pissed away $700+" stories to scare a WHOLE lot of people off, myself included. I want a PS3, and the prices, on the surface, look good, but it's simply not worth the risk. It's kind of funny. Amazon.com's PS3 board has several stories of jackass resellers returning the systems to stores to get their money back because they can't successfully complete an auction. Now that is fucking funny.[/QUOTE]

This is bull. They aren't selling on CraigsList either and there's no fraud danger in having somebody come to your workplace and doing a transaction out in the open.

[quote name='Beer Monkey']This is bull. They aren't selling on CraigsList either and there's no fraud danger in having somebody come to your workplace and doing a transaction out in the open.[/QUOTE]
Not exactly a direct comparison. Craigslist isn't ebay. And it appears the artificial demand has finally outpaced the real demand, at least for the most part. It's going to be funny as hell if there are all kinds of PS3s on store shelves right after Christmas from returns. I guess we'll see. Interesting post just put up on Joystiq about this.

Has anyone seen this? I just noticed it and thought it was cute:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3611121

Basically, it's a PS3 branded $599.00 Wal-Mart gift card. "Here son, I was too lazy to actually look for the system myself. Here's a gift card, so you can buy it (minus tax), when you happen to find one." I'm not sure if that a good or bad thing. I mean on one hand, somebody is still giving you $600, but on the other, it's kind of hard to play a gift card. I guess you could always use it to get a 360 and like 3 games. Hell, if you don't have one, better choice right now anyway. I wish I was privy to the sales numbers on these cards. It would probably be interesting.

[quote name='mietha']Has anyone seen this? I just noticed it and thought it was cute:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3611121

Basically, it's a PS3 branded $599.00 Wal-Mart gift card. "Here son, I was too lazy to actually look for the system myself. Here's a gift card, so you can buy it (minus tax), when you happen to find one." I'm not sure if that a good or bad thing. I mean on one hand, somebody is still giving you $600, but on the other, it's kind of hard to play a gift card. I guess you could always use it to get a 360 and like 3 games. Hell, if you don't have one, better choice right now anyway. I wish I was privy to the sales numbers on these cards. It would probably be interesting.[/quote]

I've seen several stores offering this.

The possibility of PC style games like RTS games and Adventure games coming to the Wii. Maybe in a different form or ports or whatever.

Add on to that the new way to play old games like Excite Truck, DragonBall Z Budeki 2 Tenkaishi, and Call of Duty 3 on Wii which I LOVE the new controlls for.

I cant do anything but support the Wii. I have a 360 and A top quality gaming PC by the way. Thank god for rentals. I wouldn't have played some of those Wii games and did because of them.

I recomend people to play Wii games at random. You will probably be surprised by which titles you like and which you don't.

I just got an email from Amazon.com telling me they are not going to send updates for the PS3 availablity through email and that I need to check the website pages in a more timely fasion.

Could be their going to have some soon.

bread's done
Back