Sam Goody closing stores: Final Day (4/2)

Not all closing stores are closing at the same time. Some stores have already closed. Some are closing a bit later.

Mine is 60%, but there's nothing good really left. Does anyone know if they will drop any lower than that?

I had 2 stores in my area - one is already closed for sure, and the lowest they went was 40% off games/dvds. Never checked back on the other one, since I really hate going to the mall (and they didn't have much anyway).

Mine closed on Friday, 50% off everything. It sucked because on the last day there were no games, no DVD's and no UMD's left. I highly doubt someome paid $20 for an opened Tiger Woods 2005 DS so I don't think they sold every single game, DVD and UMD they had. Not that I would have bought anything at 50% off anyway at those ripoff prices. I was hoping it would be like 80%+ off.

the sam goody in hville alabama is still open, 50-60% off. it was pretty pathetic, even 50% off some of the stuff they have, is the price you can get them at DDD.com or best buy.

I did manage to get a t-shirt and the movie "following" (director of memento) for $5.49 total.

[quote name='trunks982']29.99 original price for animes. after 50% off still not a good deal.

stuff like 3-4 episodes on 1 dvd.[/QUOTE]

o_O?

Where the hell do you buy your anime dvd's then? $15 is a great price.

Oy, that last poster is probably the same kind of people who bought up the PStwos from the Sam Goodys that are closing at the meager 20% off level.

What a rip off, but eh, I guess SOME people think that ANY % off of normal retail is good.

I'm a true cheap ass gamer and refuse to buy games or consoles for any LESS than 50% + off of normal.

Went to a store around here, but as most have said (even at 50-70% off), their prices are just not that enticing. I almost bought a DQ VIII guide, but it wasn't in the greatest shape (small tear bottom right corner), so even that was not worth purchasing. Their guides were 60% off, but there was nothing rare or that I couldn't find for a penny (or trade for).

At my local Sam Goody which has games at 50% off, I attempted to purchase Ultimate Spiderman which had a 49.99 sticker on it and Tom Clancy's Classic Trilogy which had a 39.99 sticker on it. I figured that the stickers must be old and expected Ultimate Spiderman to be 14.99 and TCCT to be 9.99, as Ultimate Spiderman had a universal drop to 29.99 and TCCT is a platinum hits. Both rang up for 24.99 and 19.99. What a waste of time and gas.

[quote name='SinnerChrno']o_O?

Where the hell do you buy your anime dvd's then? $15 is a great price.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he's one of the many people wising up the fact that even at $15 a piece, a series that spans 6-8 discs would still run $90-120 -- generally much more than what you'd pay if you wait for a Thinpak collection ($30-60 seems to be somewhat common).

Though I can understand that some people got used to paying $30 per tape with only 2-3 episodes per tape for anime on VHS, you really have to look at things in comparison to what else is out there now -- i.e.: is it really worth 4x as much to get a full season of an anime as it is to get a full season of an American tv show?

I don't know about other Suncoasts, but mine did. It was on a wall next to the registers. Some in the form of Picture-on-Cardboard but they did have them.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I have never seen videogames in a suncoast[/QUOTE]
Yes, they did carry games. About six-eight years ago.

You can buy most anime's for about 6-7$ off someone's tradelist on here or you can get them on ebay for around the same price, why pay more when you can get them for less other ways, btw these are for the official usa dvd's as well, if your one of the people paying 30$+ for 2-5 eps of some anime series then you need to get some help fast (i have a friend that wastes all her money on anime this way).

Ive had a good success rate (100% official) of ordering dvd's off ebay as well, paying about 5-7$ per dvd including shipping, all have been official usa releases, and yes i know how to check for bootlegs.

God even when i bought a dvd for like 13$ from media play when it was closing (it was one that i really really wanted) then i find out its going for like 6-8$ on ebay i already feel ripped off, i could only imagine how i would feel if i had spent 30$ on that dvd!

The cheaper dvd's have been previously watched however i have not even found one scratch on any of my used condition dvd's yet, so in other words they are so called used but really in new condition. Unless you plan on keeping things in the shrinkwrap you might as well go for the 6-7 price for the used dvd's rather than spend 30$+ for dvd which has 2-5 eps of some series.

Lansing, MI Sam Goody had, like, three CDs and a John Lennon action figure.

Just wondering since I was curious, but did anyone else see a very odd, rapid decrease in stock in their stores? I think my local one around here was taking most of their stock off of their shelves and shipping it elsewhere since their sales and their diminishing stock simply weren't lining up over a period of a few days.

Not that I care all that much but it would be interesting if they did since it seemed to spur far more sales from customers when they started thinking that people were really buying out the store. I just found it highly odd that half of the TV DVDs, anime, all of the action figures, all of the posters, and almost all of the games, all of the systems, and 1/4 of the music CDs (around several hundred CDs) disappeared within 30 hours when everything was still around 30% off and they were managing around 4 or 5 small sales an hour.

...don't ask. I'm one of those "if there's a liquidation look through almost their entire stock for savings" sort of people.

I think this thread should be edited. YMMV should be added to the title as the Suncoast near me doesn't close for another two weeks.

[quote name='jPoD']i went today. Picked up Da Ali G Show Seazonz 1 and 2 for $24 :)
60% off PSPUMDs[/QUOTE]

Good job. Ali G is probably the greatest thing ever. The only downside is that I can't laugh at most comedy stuff now because Da Ali G Show raised my standards so much.

Went to the Sam Goody in the Tacoma Mall & within 1 minute i realized why these stores are going out of business.

As a previous poster stated they have ABSURD prices for games/cds.
Old Cd's were $17.99 & games were $49.99.

Example: Death by Degress Ps2 = $49.99

Yea my store near me said they are not closing until end of April or early May. They also got inventory from other closed stores and started to restock the shelves. I was able to score Virtua Tennis for $8 psp, All psp games and umd's were 70% off.

Weird thing is -- the Sam Goody in Starkville, MS isn't closing at all. For years they were the only non-Wal-Mart game supplier in town (now we have a GameStop), and they've had the same 2 managers for awhile. Both said yeah, a lot of the stores were closing but they weren't getting the axe.

Are there any other SG stores out there that AREN'T closing? Or should I start stopping in this store 2-3 times a week and looking for the markdowns?

Why hasn't FYE gone under then? They are terrible at jacking up prices!

[quote name='trunks982']thats why the stores are closing cause of the stupid ridiculous prices.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DrHogie']Are there any other SG stores out there that AREN'T closing? Or should I start stopping in this store 2-3 times a week and looking for the markdowns?[/QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken, I thought it was only the stores in malls owned by Simon Malls that were closing (at least in part due to issues over rent).

[quote name='3QGojo']Why hasn't FYE gone under then? They are terrible at jacking up prices![/QUOTE]

FYE always seems to be crowded and people are buying stuff there even if it is overpriced.

But why? I would think eventually people would wise up and not go there for an overpriced DVD/CD they could get somewhere else for WAY cheaper.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']FYE always seems to be crowded and people are buying stuff there even if it is overpriced.[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of people are lazy and want the convience of buying it in the mall and not have to make another trip to another store

[quote name='DrHogie']Weird thing is -- the Sam Goody in Starkville, MS isn't closing at all. For years they were the only non-Wal-Mart game supplier in town (now we have a GameStop), and they've had the same 2 managers for awhile. Both said yeah, a lot of the stores were closing but they weren't getting the axe.

Are there any other SG stores out there that AREN'T closing? Or should I start stopping in this store 2-3 times a week and looking for the markdowns?[/QUOTE]

The Sam Goody in the Mall of America is also not closing. However, the Suncoast on the first floor is closing.

[quote name='3QGojo']Why hasn't FYE gone under then? They are terrible at jacking up prices![/QUOTE]

lol yea. they like jacked up the games about 4 extra bucks. the FYE near my place dont buy games. i went there and i said i wanna sell some games. he was like we dont buy games anymore.

[quote name='Chacrana']Good job. Ali G is probably the greatest thing ever. The only downside is that I can't laugh at most comedy stuff now because Da Ali G Show raised my standards so much.[/QUOTE]

Yeah he's amazing. Borat is pretty much my favorite thing ever. I was beyond happy that i scored two 39.XX sets for less than one at regular cost. :)

The Pioneer Place store in Portland is still open, as I was there yesterday (The other store announced for closure in the area, at Lloyd Center, has been closed for a while). It's at 60-80% now, and even though half of the store is closed off, they still have a lot of stuff. Didn't see anything I wanted, though.

On another note, they're going to need all the luck they can get unloading the 50 or so copies I saw of of Scott Stapp's solo album. :lol:

[quote name='TimTucker']If I'm not mistaken, I thought it was only the stores in malls owned by Simon Malls that were closing (at least in part due to issues over rent).[/quote]

Nope. The two Sam Goodys that were announced for closure here are not in Simon-owned malls.

Just happy I picked up the last azumanga class album and battlestar galactica season 1 (60 percent off) today at my suncoast. Kinda surprised that those were there since there wasn't much left.

Went to the Sam Goody in Starkville, MS today. Didn't ask the manager about closings (don't want to be a pest -- "Um, are you losing your job so I can get cheap video games yet?"), but I saw signs for their "nuckinfutz" promotion, all kinds of new promo displays all over the place -- and normally priced $50 games.

FYI, this store is a standalone store in a shopping center complex. It's been in town since at least 1994 (when I moved here for college), when it was known as OnCue. IIRC from talking to the manager, they were the only store in Mississippi not to get the axe.

[quote name='Logain8955']I would edit it to include YMMV, but I cant figure out how to @.@ Sorry.[/QUOTE]

Go to your original post. Hit the Edit module. Then when that pops up you hit the Advanced mode button and you should be able to edit the title.

bread's done
Back