Save Up to 67% on Select FUNimation & SPHE Anime DVD/BD Titles @ Amazon.com

WTK

CAGiversary!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh I want Champloo so bad and that's the cheapest I've seen it. Samurai 7 and the 2 DBZ movie packs I'm missing are great prices too. I really shouldn't spend any money though.

Sweet. Picked up FMP + Fumoffu and FMA:B Part 2. Disappointed I missed out on FMA:B being $20 but $23 is good enough for me.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Technically, Fumoffu is season 2, and Second Raid was the third series. Fumoffu is probably my favorite, too, though Second Raid is also great. The first series is really mediocre by comparison.[/QUOTE]

It came second, but it's really more of a spin-off or companion series, that's why a lot of people consider the Second Raid as the actual second series. It's a matter of perspective and semantics, really.

[quote name='jayntampa']It came second, but it's really more of a spin-off or companion series, that's why a lot of people consider the Second Raid as the actual second series. It's a matter of perspective and semantics, really.[/QUOTE]

Typically, 2 comes before 3. Those people need a remedial math course. :p

[quote name='GuardianE']Anyone have any impressions of RIN?[/QUOTE]

Exploitative violence, sex, and violent sex. It's genuinely terrible.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Exploitative violence, sex, and violent sex. It's genuinely terrible.[/QUOTE]

Aw really? All the reviews online are glowing.

Is FMP worth the upgrade? I have FUMOFFU on DVD.

[quote name='GuardianE']Is FMP worth the upgrade? I have FUMOFFU on DVD.[/QUOTE]

They're all upscales, so if you already own them on DVD, there's no reason to upgrade.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']How is Sengoku Basara?

$25 for 13 episodes seems pricey.[/QUOTE]

I answered this one earlier - it's not great, but it *is* entertaining, in an over-the-top kind of way. I certainly wouldn't pay $25 for it.

[quote name='wormraper']does this sale go THROUGH the 3rd or UP TO the 3rd of January???[/QUOTE]
Today (1/3) would be the last day of the sale (not sure about time zone and how strict they follow it).

[quote name='GuardianE']Thinking of picking up all of FMP.

Anyone have any impressions of RIN?[/QUOTE]
Full Metal Panic: Blu-Ray is just an upscaled DVD version. It's not even broadcast on Widescreen (only Second Raid was).

RIN: Only seen 2 episodes, but I actually am enjoying this series because I like the whole noir mystery-detective atmoshphere it has. It's not for everyone.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Full Metal Panic: Blu-Ray is just an upscaled DVD version. It's not even broadcast on Widescreen (only Second Raid was).

RIN: Only seen 2 episodes, but I actually am enjoying this series because I like the whole noir mystery-detective atmoshphere it has. It's not for everyone.[/QUOTE]

what does widescreen have to do with resolution ???? if it was shot or animated in 4x3 ALWAYS keep the correct resolution

[quote name='wormraper']what does widescreen have to do with resolution ???? if it was shot or animated in 4x3 ALWAYS keep the correct resolution[/QUOTE]
Nothing, it just reinforces the fact that these shows were never intended to go all out HD. That's why people should never be surprisided if they usually all have just upscaled DVD quality.

P.S. Not to mention a lot of people would like to know that kind of information, if the Blu-ray somehow is in Fullscreen rather than the normal Widescreen format i.e. see Family Guy / Dragon Ball Z Blu-ray threads.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Nothing, it just reinforces the fact that these shows were never intended to go all out HD. That's why people should never be surprisided if they usually all have just upscaled DVD quality.[/QUOTE]

the format means nothing. movies from the 30's and 40's were ALL shot in 4x3 and have perfect transfers. film resolution and aspect ratios are completely un-related. Even today shows or movies may be 4x3 yet still shot with hi-res cameras or on film (which has WAY more resolution than blu-ray can ever hope to replicate if mastered properly)

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Full Metal Panic: Blu-Ray is just an upscaled DVD version. It's not even broadcast on Widescreen (only Second Raid was).

RIN: Only seen 2 episodes, but I actually am enjoying this series because I like the whole noir mystery-detective atmoshphere it has. It's not for everyone.[/QUOTE]

Would you say then that it's not worth getting FMP Second Raid on BD if you already have the remastered DVD?
I picked up the other two simply because I don't have them on DVD yet, but I'm debating about Second Raid.

[quote name='bestsister02']Would you say then that it's not worth getting FMP Second Raid on BD if you already have the remastered DVD?
I picked up the other two simply because I don't have them on DVD yet, but I'm debating about Second Raid.[/QUOTE]

Yet again, it's not worth the upgrade. These are upscales.

[quote name='wormraper']the format means nothing. movies from the 30's and 40's were ALL shot in 4x3 and have perfect transfers. film resolution and aspect ratios are completely un-related. Even today shows or movies may be 4x3 yet still shot with hi-res cameras or on film (which has WAY more resolution than blu-ray can ever hope to replicate if mastered properly)[/QUOTE]

You can't compare film, though -- it's totally different. The problem with most of these late-1990s/early-to-mid-2000s anime series is that they were produced digitally, and in order to save space and speed up rendering, they were done only at the highest resolution that television and media at the time supported -- which means that the most that you're going to get, in most cases, is 480p. Often it's only 480i. For anything more than that, you're upscaling. In hindsight I'm sure the studios realize that it was a bit short-sighted, but at this point it is what it is.

That's not to say that upscaling can't make an anime look better. However, since most blu-ray players and even most recent DVD players have DVD upscaling capability built-in, the added benefit from the blu-ray upscale is negligible.

As for the aspect ratio, there is at least a tangential relationship -- to the best of my knowledge (admittedly, it's not something that I've followed super closely), most (all?) series that have been produced in HD have also been in widescreen. So yeah, while you can't make a direct correlation between aspect ratio and resolution, you can probably make an indirect assumption that anything in a 4:3 ratio (that was produced digitally) is probably not going to be HD. Wouldn't count for any series old enough to have actually been produced on film, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
To anyone considering Rin, be forewarned. It is DIRTY. Don't get me wrong, it is absolutely one of my favorite animes, and I'm not into the hentai kinda crap (or anything remotely similar. Though I don't mind nudity in anime. That doesn't bother me.), but this show is absolutely amazing. Story is gripping, characters are well thought out and superbly voice acted, the animation is vivid and flows very nicely with the noire theme, and oddly enough, the bondage shit actually works well with the feel of the show. I would recommend it, but buyer beware when going into it. It's not for the young, feint of heart, or absolute prude ;).

[quote name='arcane93']As for the aspect ratio, there is at least a tangential relationship -- to the best of my knowledge (admittedly, it's not something that I've followed super closely), most (all?) series that have been produced in HD have also been in widescreen.[/QUOTE]

A large portion, but not all. Family Guy: Something, Something, Something, Dark Side was produced in HD in 4:3, for example.

I sucked up to Samurai Champloo yesterday and it already shipped. Eden of the East however seems like it won't be shipping until next week. Not a huge deal though, since it was one hell of a deal. =P

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']A large portion, but not all. Family Guy: Something, Something, Something, Dark Side was produced in HD in 4:3, for example.[/QUOTE]

Hm, good point -- I was thinking specifically of Japanese anime titles, not American animation (for whatever significance that distinction has), though. I can't think of any anime titles that are 4:3 and HD right off -- it seems like the Japanese were a lot quicker to fully embrace widescreen aspect ratios, as a lot of titles were being produced in widescreen before HD was even a consideration.

Updated the first post with additional FUNimation DVD/BD titles and Sony Pictures title (Blood+).

F'n great price on Blood+ set 2 if anybody picked up the first set many eons ago and forgot about the second. Yes it has dubtitles and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment screwed the pooch with this release but I don't care, I love that show.

Sorry to revive the thread. But most of these are back (did they ever go back up, I didn't even check) on sale at the prices listed in the op, Just a heads up.

bread's done
Back