Saved a ton of $$$$ this Xmas

trip1eX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
What's my secret?

I didn't buy not buying every dam cheapass game out there. ;)

Anyone else out there able to reign it in this year and reap the best deal around - aka not buying a thing just because it was cheap.

It was difficult. But I managed. Even then I don't mean to imply I was perfect. I succumbed twice to cheap games.

FF IV for $10 on the DS got me. Wasn't on my radar, but I heard of the name and it was $10 and supposedly improved over FF III remake on the DS. You never know when you're going to need an emergency DS game. In my case it's an emergency game for my son or a relative at an xmas gathering or what not. Son already is getting Spirit Tracks. I guess I bought this as backup.

And just as I thought that was going to be the only blemish on my record I went ahead and grabbed Metroid Prime Trilogy for $20. Here's a game where I loved the original, finished the sequel, but couldn't get through the last 10% of the 3rd. And really all 3 games are basically the same game. What will end up happening is thisg ame will sti in the drawer for months on end. And once in a while I'll think about checking it out. The devil will say open it. But the little guy above the other shoulder will say you're never going to play it for more than 30 minutes. Leave it sealed and sell it. Move on. The devil will say motion controls!!!! The angel will reply, yeah nice. But 30 minutes max and you'll be like, so what? You've seen motion controls on the 3rd game. They work nice. Move on. Meanwhile the game sits in the drawer.

Eventually I sell it and make $5-$10. 3 years after that I find the sealed FF IV DS game in the cracks of the couch.

I saved a ton of money this Christmas too. I watched for good deals on things I actually wanted, and bought them. This saved me lots of $$ over what I would have had to have spent on gifts otherwise.

Oh, and good story. It was completely riveting. I had no idea that not buying stuff could possibly save money.

[quote name='yourlefthand']
Oh, and good story. It was completely riveting. I had no idea that not buying stuff could possibly save money.[/QUOTE]

Neither did I, that gecko told me the only way to do that was to switch to Geico.

I saved alot more money throughout the fall buying from amazon, thanks to a combination of various deals. i bought over 10 games, most on release day, for around half price. basically i didn't have anything left that i wanted by dec.

I usually keep a want list so and that helps me get only the things I want, if its on the list and its super cheap (aka persona PSP for 14.99) then I buy it. If its on the list I don't buy it, and chances are if its not there its a very crappy game.

[quote name='SaraAB']I usually keep a want list so and that helps me get only the things I want, if its on the list and its super cheap (aka persona PSP for 14.99) then I buy it. If its on the list I don't buy it, and chances are if its not there its a very crappy game.[/QUOTE]

Funny, I have to do the opposite- I DON'T keep a list becuase it'll just remind me of all the games I want, but probably won't play right away (if at all). If I don't know the game from memory, I figure I don't want it that bad.

I went to Five Below a couple weeks ago. Picked up like a zillion good movies for family and friends and a couple games for myself. That knocked off most of my Christmas shopping right there.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Funny, I have to do the opposite- I DON'T keep a list becuase it'll just remind me of all the games I want, but probably won't play right away (if at all). If I don't know the game from memory, I figure I don't want it that bad.[/QUOTE]

The list keeps me away from buying all the crappy games that go cheap by reminding me that there is good stuff to buy and that will eventually go cheap as well.

Perhaps this is posted in the wrong place, but I can agree with the OP here. Deals weren't that great this year, as someone else stated, but there was great games to be had at pretty good prices. October and November saw B2G1 deals that were easy to fudge with and get good games for cheap. There was the Walmart/Amazon 360 Arcade deal, and the MW2 deals with GCs attached.

I ended up upgrading my 360 to a NEW Arcade + 120GB HD, selling all my old games I didn't play anymore to Amazon for cash and buying all new games (ODST, MW2, Mass Effect, NHL 10)

After buying/selling a Craigslist'd PS3 and actually making money on it, I came out making money this season. I have actually made a little under $50 upgrading my system and buying the newest games.

I only bought what I really wanted to play and I bought smart. So I had a great year, CAG-wise. I'm sure there are people who buy intelligently and those who just buy everything that seems like a good deal. It just depends on what you do with your life as to how much time you have to game.

Great year though, for me at least.

Apart from all the B2G1 sales that GS had this month, there hasn't been much in the way of cheap games near me either. Even Best Buy and Toys R Us haven't been discounting anything even remotely interesting though I did pick up Pop Cap Arcade Vol 1 and Namco Virtual Arcade for the 360. They were both on clearance for $9.98 and they were having a B1G1 half price on all video games sale so I got the pair for $15.

bread's done
Back