Searching For A Job - Rant/Rave/Discuss Here

[quote name='Ag_SurfR']i've got an interview this thursday. i'm really hoping i get the job. right now i'm in graduate school and have about 1.5 semesters to go, but my desire to finish is non-existent.[/QUOTE]

I am literally in the exact same boat as you are even including having an interview on thursday.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Get on LinkedIn with a full profile if you haven't already. My husband and I BOTH got our current jobs from recruiters directly contacting us on LinkedIn.[/QUOTE]

I'm not that familiar with LinkedIn and never used it before. How does it actually work with employers contacting you on there?

[quote name='Blackout']I'm not that familiar with LinkedIn and never used it before. How does it actually work with employers contacting you on there?[/QUOTE]

It is a professional social network. You can find coworkers/recruiters/companies/etc on there to follow. There are status updates and posts (all business/industry related). When you follow a company you can see their updates and posted jobs and the same with following recruiters. The main thing to do is make sure you have a very complete profile. It is basically an online resume.

So apparently my separation notice was given to HR today and it said that I declined to sign. It also stated different reasons for termination as was told to me. i was never given the chance to sign a separation notice. I am beyond pissed.

[quote name='Malik112099']So apparently my separation notice was given to HR today and it said that I declined to sign. It also stated different reasons for termination as was told to me. i was never given the chance to sign a separation notice. I am beyond pissed.[/QUOTE]

They gave you an explanation? That's extremely odd for an At-Will(I assume) state. That would open them up for all sorts of lawsuits. Better read up on that in case they try to screw you out of unemployment.

[quote name='dohdough']They gave you an explanation? That's extremely odd for an At-Will(I assume) state. That would open them up for all sorts of lawsuits. Better read up on that in case they try to screw you out of unemployment.[/QUOTE]

it doesn't matter the reason as long as it is not unlawful. I got screwed. My ex-boss took the low road and disregarded any professionalism.

After months of nothing I'm closing in on 2 opportunities.

job #1.) Part time. Work like crazy 3X a year (for 2-3 weeks) surveying bridges in wildlife refuges. Most of the time is spent driving. After that you go back and make reports for each one. Looks to be super easy, I can work from home the rest of the time doing the reports about 80 hrs/ month. Some months have only about 10-20 hrs of work.

job #2.) full on corporate job. Involves 20%-40% travel to the North East from Denver. It's a rep job but thank god not sales...a technical rep. for a roofing product. Really good base pay + full benefits, 401k , bonuses. I'm not wild about the travel but everything else could be fun.

We can afford for me to do either. Both jobs are not exactly in my field (architecture) but are close.

I can't find shit in IT in this area. Actually let me rephrase that, I can, but it's mostly higher level stuff I don't have enough experience for. Have my BS in CIT (kinda computer science lite, more business focused than science), but even more entry levels positions are hard to get. I'm employed but just looking to get out of here as there is no room to move up really. I'm more in the infrastructure side of things and a lot of the jobs I see posted are for programming jobs when I'm looking more for support/admin type stuff. Don't have any certs yet which I know is hurting me, but I need money to get some of the higher level certs, may have to take some classes for some of the more complicated ones. I could pass the A+ exam easy, but it's piratically worthless as it is, I usually see companies wanting the MCP or sometimes Cisco certs depending on what the job entails.

[quote name='Clak']I can't find shit in IT in this area. Actually let me rephrase that, I can, but it's mostly higher level stuff I don't have enough experience for. Have my BS in CIT (kinda computer science lite, more business focused than science), but even more entry levels positions are hard to get. I'm employed but just looking to get out of here as there is no room to move up really. I'm more in the infrastructure side of things and a lot of the jobs I see posted are for programming jobs when I'm looking more for support/admin type stuff. Don't have any certs yet which I know is hurting me, but I need money to get some of the higher level certs, may have to take some classes for some of the more complicated ones. I could pass the A+ exam easy, but it's piratically worthless as it is, I usually see companies wanting the MCP or sometimes Cisco certs depending on what the job entails.[/QUOTE]
Too bad you're not in my hood. No one really gives a shit about certs up here. A BS and experience is all I see in the listings for what you're looking for.

I'm still looking for my first job, and having no luck. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough, but it seems everywhere needs experience, or has a billion more qualified applicants. It's really disheartening to go through all the work of filling out applications, calling to check on them, etc. and not get so much as a call back. If anyone has advice I'm all ears (please don't say fast food, that's the ONE thing I just can't do):(

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']To the original poster have you checked USA Jobs for federal jobs? With a military background you'll get a leg up on non-vets applying for the same position.[/QUOTE]

ABSOLUTELY CANNOT AGREE WITH THIS ENOUGH. I've been in a handful of federal job processes and basically what all of them are looking for are smart people who are lawyers and ex-military. Since the number of smart, former military lawyers is a small pool, they tend to next look for lawyers, then look for military, then look for smart people. I wish I could say that's an exaggeration. As long as you held a rifle, you have a better chance of being hired than someone who is smart and has work experience.

Now the counter-point, the federal budget is such a disaster, that I was in one hiring process for 2 yrs, just waiting for a response, when finally they told me the job I applied to 2 yrs ago has been closed because due to budget cuts. I reckon I've wasted somewhere around 500 hours in the federal hiring process, and instead work for a private company.

Having said that, the place I'm working at is actually pretty cool, relates to the game and movie industry, and has a handful of job openings. If anybody is computer science, Electrical engineering, or maybe even MechE, PM me and I'll send you a link to our hiring page. We're located in Oregon, and relocation would be a requirement.

EDIT: Oh, and people, unless you're continuing education because the job market sucks and it lets you defer loans, in my experience an MBA is worthless. Work experience is going to trump certifications and advanced degrees every single time. If the choice is one year in the workforce, or one year pursuing an MBA, go work. There are so many people with experience looking for work, that your MBA won't mean dick against their experience. The only time it will be useful is when you're applying alongside a bunch of people with their bachelors only, and those interview processes are rare.

[quote name='dohdough']Too bad you're not in my hood. No one really gives a shit about certs up here. A BS and experience is all I see in the listings for what you're looking for.[/QUOTE]
There is the experience too. a lot of what I see for even entry level stuff will say 2-3 years of experience and maybe a cert or two. Once people start demanding that for entry level stuff, you're pretty much screwed already.

[quote name='usickenme']I can't believe people still ask "where do you see yourself in 5 years"?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Just weird questions all around. Don't like them. Feel like if I say working here blah blah blah then they will think I'm too forward but if I say some generic shit then they wont like that either.

[quote name='usickenme']I can't believe people still ask "where do you see yourself in 5 years"?[/QUOTE]

I find humor that the interview script my current employer has for internal applicants still has that question in there.

I'd love to know who comes up with those dumbass questions. At this point my answer would be something like "Right where I am unless the economy picks up soon."

I usually answer with a specific skill I would like to develop but if I wanted to throw the interview I would simply say "off the meth"

[quote name='Malik112099']It is a professional social network. You can find coworkers/recruiters/companies/etc on there to follow. There are status updates and posts (all business/industry related). When you follow a company you can see their updates and posted jobs and the same with following recruiters. The main thing to do is make sure you have a very complete profile. It is basically an online resume.[/QUOTE]

Is there any way for you to have your resume on there but only viewable to actual companies and not people? A colleague of mine had his bullet points on his resume swiped by another colleague from a previous job. Literally copied his stuff word for word. He only found out because apparently LinkedIn shows who viewed your profile and when he clicked on that person, he basically saw his resume on that guy's profile.

[quote name='Prepster']I am literally in the exact same boat as you are even including having an interview on thursday.[/QUOTE]

and you're from chicago?...this is getting creepy. are you me?

[quote name='Ag_SurfR']and you're from chicago?...this is getting creepy. are you me?[/QUOTE]

Maybe alternate universes are colliding :boxing: one of you will get the job, the other...:robot:

[quote name='Kendro']Is there any way for you to have your resume on there but only viewable to actual companies and not people? A colleague of mine had his bullet points on his resume swiped by another colleague from a previous job. Literally copied his stuff word for word. He only found out because apparently LinkedIn shows who viewed your profile and when he clicked on that person, he basically saw his resume on that guy's profile.[/QUOTE]

Not that I know of. The whole point is to make professional contacts. You can have the profile be private I think but not letting someone see your profile that you are connected with makes no sense. I doubt that happens a lot and if it does then break that connection. Why don't you get on it already and just check it out?

I've never had any luck personally with LinkedIn. I've applied for some stuff through it, but never any reply.

It also seems hard finding someone for a position. We've had an evening and night shift Medical Technologist position open at work for about a month now. We've had maybe two interviews for both positions.
We've also had several people cancel their scheduled interviews (for whatever reason) as well.

I'm debating on whether or not to upgrade to a Job Seeker Basic account on LinkedIn for a month. I figure it can't hurt and it's $20 I'd spend on junk otherwise. Doing some research into it right now.

EDIT: aaaand no. read a few articles. No reason to pay for a job seeker account.

Since I'm looking every day for hours a day I am running into a lot of jobs I've already seen. Any tips or tricks when it seems like you are looking at all the same jobs over again? Hidden gems you use to find more?

[quote name='Malik112099']Since I'm looking every day for hours a day I am running into a lot of jobs I've already seen. Any tips or tricks when it seems like you are looking at all the same jobs over again? Hidden gems you use to find more?[/QUOTE]

Unless you're looking to relocate, there are only so many jobs you can apply for locally. You can try walking/driving around looking for names of companies to check their sites for listings, but even then, eventually you'll run dry and relatively quickly. Sometimes, you just have to wait and sit on your ass until new listings pop up.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Maybe alternate universes are colliding :boxing: one of you will get the job, the other...:robot:[/QUOTE]

:pray:

please be me. please be me. please be me.

I got an email to set up a phone interview for a job I submitted to recently. Any little bite feels good at this point.

EDIT: Scheduled for tomorrow at 10:30am.

Last edited by a moderator:
Malik. I have been following your posts for quite some time and wanted to write and wish you good luck.

[quote name='Dar_k']Malik. I have been following your posts for quite some time and wanted to write and wish you good luck.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I really appreciate it.

[quote name='Malik112099']I got an email to set up a phone interview for a job I submitted to recently. Any little bite feels good at this point.

EDIT: Scheduled for tomorrow at 10:30am.[/QUOTE]

Good luck!

I actually got a call about some data center position yesterday, would be fucking perfect for me, I just hope I hear more about it. It was from this head hunter I've been talking with, and she's flaky as hell. Most of the time when I email or call her she never gets back with me. I called her early this morning and she never did call me back, probably won't either. Honestly the hardest part of looking for work is not getting discouraged, because it's extremely easy to.

Oh and on the subject of job sites, do not, I repeat do not make an open careerbuilder account. You can make one to apply to things with, but don't make it viewable to just anyone. As soon as I did that I started getting calls from places wanting to hire me to do sales. Last one was shady as hell, lady led me on about who they were and what they were looking for. Looked them up and it was some insurance company, what little info they had on their careers section was about sales and offered a number to call. That gets annoying as hell, aseptically when you tell them what field you're in and they just ignore it.

Yeah, I've had quite a few calls/emails about the wonderful world of insurance.

Not getting discouraged is HUGE. I started feeling a little panicky a while ago but that helps no one. I'll do some research on this company tomorrow morning, have a phoner and press on with the search. Caffeine is helping. A lot.

10:35 and no call yet. :whistle2:/ Ill give it till 10:45.

I have to go turn in an application at another place. Friend of a friend told me a guy there was expecting me. We'll see how that goes.

Anyone get nervous when they ask what your pay requirements are? Sometimes the job description is so muddled I cant tell if they want entry level or experience. So its hard to tell if I'm applying for something in my pay range or not.

EDIT: 10:40 now......thinking about calling the "help" number in the email in 5 minutes and asking for the guy by name.

EDIT2: No call. I called them and left a voicemail.....Off to turn in an app in person....

Just either tell them the pay range you're honestly looking for, or just say you'd rather discuss it later.

Went to the place. Guy was at lunch....little did I know I would be asking for on of the head guys. Left my pre-filled out app and resume. Did the name drop game and we will see how it goes.

Am i the only one who thinks that all resumes in the future will just be a list of impressive people you know?

[quote name='Malik112099']
Anyone get nervous when they ask what your pay requirements are? Sometimes the job description is so muddled I cant tell if they want entry level or experience. So its hard to tell if I'm applying for something in my pay range or not.[/QUOTE]

I don't anymore. I'm at a point in my career and follow the industry enough so that I know what's fair and when an offer is too low. It's a bit difficult when the job description is muddled, but that can usually be cleared up in the phone screen. I've actually had two cases fairly recently where my salary expectations were WAY off the position offered. I told the guy straight up that he was out of line. When questioned how much out of line, I told him double.

It's no wonder he couldn't find someone competent to fill the position after 9 months of searching.

[quote name='eldergamer']It also seems hard finding someone for a position. We've had an evening and night shift Medical Technologist position open at work for about a month now. We've had maybe two interviews for both positions.
We've also had several people cancel their scheduled interviews (for whatever reason) as well.[/QUOTE]

As a person that has worked 17 years of graveyard I'll tell you why that is. It's the shift. No one wants to work those hours. Hell I don't want to work those hours. I've spent 17 years trying to figure out how to get off those hours. I've missed a lot of my kids growing up years cause of that shift

The place called me back that didnt call this morning. Guy asked if the interviewer ever called me. I said no and he apologized a ton. He rescheduled the interview and promised he would find out why I wasnt called.

I got a Telecom/Networking degree 13 years ago but barely used it since I got out of college. I wasn't ready for a full time job out of college and too immature.

I got a degree in accounting which I've kinda used as a purchaser/warehouse at my last job.

It's been 1.5 years tomorrow since I've been laid off from my last job. I've gotten a few jobs at banks which didn't work out for about a month each, and a seasonal job at sears as a cashier last xmas.

Sometimes I wonder if I will ever find a job. I've been going for inventory/warehouse/retail jobs. About an interview a week, but no luck. There's just too many people looking right now.

[quote name='Malik112099']You want the job or you want to be the robot?[/QUOTE]

i'll take either one at this point. i'm so sick of my life.

[quote name='eldergamer']It also seems hard finding someone for a position. We've had an evening and night shift Medical Technologist position open at work for about a month now. We've had maybe two interviews for both positions.
We've also had several people cancel their scheduled interviews (for whatever reason) as well.[/QUOTE]

I will say evening medical technologist was the best 2.5 years of my life. Easy job, very good pay, etc.

I ended up at as a medical technologist for a while after college when the company I had interned, co-op'd, and worked part-time during the school year, was circling the bowl and wouldn't hire me. I graduated with that as a sure thing the fell apart and ended as a Med Tech for a while. Planned on doing it short term but then the engineering offers I was getting were all pretty much less pay or 6 month contracts. I didn't want to leave the sure thing for less money an having a contract (with no benefits) hang over my head.

I did eventually get an engineering job with the pay I thought I deserved, but even with the big bump in pay it is a much more stressful job.

In the long run engineering has huge oppurtunities for advancement when compared to Med Tech, but for someone who wants decent pay without as much stress, I think Med Tech is a pretty good field.

It's been almost nine months since I've been laid off from my last job as a CSR. It was the most I ever made from a job (a little over $33K+/yr), but I can't seem to find another job that will earn anything close to what I made previously. I currently have an offer for a warehouse position for $9/hr. I'm unsure if I should take it. Since it's a day job, I'm going to have trouble going on interviews when I eventually decide to look for new work. Luckily, I still have some savings; Money hasn't become an issue yet. However, I can't decide. Continue being unemployed/searching for work for almost a year (maybe even more) or take a low paying job?

[quote name='cruzfactor']It's been almost nine months since I've been laid off from my last job as a CSR. It was the most I ever made from a job (a little over $33K+/yr), but I can't seem to find another job that will earn anything close to what I made previously. I currently have an offer for a warehouse position for $9/hr. I'm unsure if I should take it. Since it's a day job, I'm going to have trouble going on interviews when I eventually decide to look for new work. Luckily, I still have some savings; Money hasn't become an issue yet. However, I can't decide. Continue being unemployed/searching for work for almost a year (maybe even more) or take a low paying job?[/QUOTE]

That's always the catch-22. Keep a gap in your resume or fill it with something that's going to be inapplicable to the field you want to be in? Some employers value the fact you went to work - others don't give a shit if you've been flipping burgers or whatever because it doesn't make you more experienced in whatever field they're in.

Yeah, that's a slippery slope. I've been worried about a 2 month gap in employment. It is all gonna come down to the individual preference of who's hiring.

Guys, don't even worry about anything less than a 12 month gap in employment. Everyone knows the economy is tough.

Just be prepared to explain what you did in those intervening months. If you can say something like "I used the time to gain this new skill or got a certificate or took a class," it won't look like you sat on your ass and played video games.

Even better: "I worked (some job that is hard but beneath your level of experience or education) while taking ___ class while actively looking for a job like this, blah blah blah."

[quote name='Dokstarr']I will say evening medical technologist was the best 2.5 years of my life. Easy job, very good pay, etc.

I ended up at as a medical technologist for a while after college when the company I had interned, co-op'd, and worked part-time during the school year, was circling the bowl and wouldn't hire me. I graduated with that as a sure thing the fell apart and ended as a Med Tech for a while. Planned on doing it short term but then the engineering offers I was getting were all pretty much less pay or 6 month contracts. I didn't want to leave the sure thing for less money an having a contract (with no benefits) hang over my head.

I did eventually get an engineering job with the pay I thought I deserved, but even with the big bump in pay it is a much more stressful job.

In the long run engineering has huge oppurtunities for advancement when compared to Med Tech, but for someone who wants decent pay without as much stress, I think Med Tech is a pretty good field.[/QUOTE]

And here I thought I was the only one! :D

Working as a med tech is pretty easy, once you're trained and get to know the routine. It's the same thing. You're going to be looking at the same cells or seeing the same results for the rest of your life.

It's only stressfull if you don't know how to multi-task and mange your time well. Unfortunately, I work with people who have been there 30+ years and get totally flustered and panic any time they have to deal with more than three specimens at a time.

There really isn't an room for advancement unless you want to be a supervisor and double check everyone's work.

[quote name='cruzfactor']It's been almost nine months since I've been laid off from my last job as a CSR. It was the most I ever made from a job (a little over $33K+/yr), but I can't seem to find another job that will earn anything close to what I made previously. I currently have an offer for a warehouse position for $9/hr. I'm unsure if I should take it. Since it's a day job, I'm going to have trouble going on interviews when I eventually decide to look for new work. Luckily, I still have some savings; Money hasn't become an issue yet. However, I can't decide. Continue being unemployed/searching for work for almost a year (maybe even more) or take a low paying job?[/QUOTE]

Can't you call in sick or something to go to an interview?

bread's done
Back