Searching For A Job - Rant/Rave/Discuss Here

Just happened on this thread as I am currently employed but rather unhappy with my job situation. Looking through people's struggles, I really feel for everyone going through rough times. I've been trying to gut out my current job until something better comes along, but I've been actively looking for several months with no luck. I've wanted to quit the job I was at after 2 months. I've been there for nearly 10 at this point.

[quote name='cruzfactor']It's been almost nine months since I've been laid off from my last job as a CSR. It was the most I ever made from a job (a little over $33K+/yr), but I can't seem to find another job that will earn anything close to what I made previously. I currently have an offer for a warehouse position for $9/hr. I'm unsure if I should take it. Since it's a day job, I'm going to have trouble going on interviews when I eventually decide to look for new work. Luckily, I still have some savings; Money hasn't become an issue yet. However, I can't decide. Continue being unemployed/searching for work for almost a year (maybe even more) or take a low paying job?[/QUOTE]

The future is uncertain. I've taken two jobs I've hated and totally out of my field to stave off unemployment as long as possible after initially struggling to find work out of college. My current salary is barely half of what the positions I was grabbing interviews for straight out of college were. You never know when that next interview might or might not come, and not taking a job assuming that something better will come is not a surefire bet. I've had that mindset myself, and for me, it has not panned out thus far.

[quote name='confoosious']Guys, don't even worry about anything less than a 12 month gap in employment. Everyone knows the economy is tough.

Just be prepared to explain what you did in those intervening months. If you can say something like "I used the time to gain this new skill or got a certificate or took a class," it won't look like you sat on your ass and played video games.

Even better: "I worked (some job that is hard but beneath your level of experience or education) while taking ___ class while actively looking for a job like this, blah blah blah."[/QUOTE]

As much as I'd love to agree with this and don't want to come off as a huge pessimist, this varies by industry/company. There are several companies that have unofficial policies that they will only consider candidates who are currently employed. There are a few states that have laws against this and a few more planning legislative action, but it's something that's very hard to prove.

It's great to take classes/certification, especially if unemployed, but you might not have the opportunity to explain that if you're screened out from getting an interview to begin with :cry:.

After temping for a few months, I've been asked to come on board permanently. Does anyone have any negotiating tips? My situation is a bit unique.

I left my last permanent job to take this temporary one because there was the promise that if I did well, they would offer me perm (in which case they did). The biggest reason I took a chance is because they offered me 50% more than my last job. I'm going to use $10 an hour for example purposes just because it is easiest to do the math.

Last job - $10 an hour.
This job - $15 an hour.
Everyone else at this job is making more than $20, some at $25.

Where it gets tricky is that if I ask for the $20, I am effectively doubling my salary in just a short few months which is a bit extreme since most job hopping are increases of 20% at max. But my last company paid on the lower end of the scale compared to the industry.

If I am making $15 now, but work just as hard as everyone else or even harder (which is the reason I got asked to come on as perm), how do I negotiate a higher pay? I would imagine HR and management would come back offering $17. Don't get me wrong, it is still a lot more than I made 6 months ago, but I don't want to take the job and bust my ass knowing that everyone around me is making $20 plus.

This will sound a little narcissistic but the reason they have asked me to become perm in a relatively quick amount of time is because I am very good at what I do. In just a few months I have already spearheaded myself as one of the "go to" guys and thus I know they need me just as much as I need them, albeit at a fair offer.

What if they come back with a $20 offer which is what I want, how do I effectively push it to $22 without insulting them? $20 is a fair offer but I don't want to leave money on the table. And the biggest increases to pay are when you first come on board. After that I will be busting my butt for a measly 2 or 3% which is the industry standard so I want to maximize the offer now.

You don't want to work for those companies because those companies are fucking idiots. The right person for a job is the right person for a job.

If someone comes to me highly recommended by someone I know, I don't give a crap if he's been unemployed for awhile.

That being said, now more than ever, its about who you know.

[quote name='confoosious']That being said, now more than ever, its about who you know.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Two colleagues that I used to work with at my last company have contacted me within the past month if I wanted to join them at each of their current companies. Fortunately I am happy where I am right now but it is nice to know I have options.

In addition, I was able to help an ex-colleague secure a position at my current company after he interviewed. My boss asked me how he was, and I said he was very good. I have also forwarded the resume of another ex-colleague to my boss for an opening in another department. He was so enamored with it, he is considering bringing him onto our team.

Don't get me wrong, all of the above is well merited. The individuals that I worked with and have referred are all top notch and skilled which is the reason why I spoke so highly of them. But if you're a valued employee and your boss trusts you, and he's looking at two resumes and one of the people is someone you used to work with and you can give a good referral; they will go with your guy. Networking is key, but you also have to be a valued commodity or no one will refer you.

[quote name='Kendro']Agreed. Two colleagues that I used to work with at my last company have contacted me within the past month if I wanted to join them at each of their current companies. Fortunately I am happy where I am right now but it is nice to know I have options.

In addition, I was able to help an ex-colleague secure a position at my current company after he interviewed. My boss asked me how he was, and I said he was very good. I have also forwarded the resume of another ex-colleague to my boss for an opening in another department. He was so enamored with it, he is considering bringing him onto our team.

Don't get me wrong, all of the above is well merited. The individuals that I worked with and have referred are all top notch and skilled which is the reason why I spoke so highly of them. But if you're a valued employee and your boss trusts you, and he's looking at two resumes and one of the people is someone you used to work with and you can give a good referral; they will go with your guy. Networking is key, but you also have to be a valued commodity or no one will refer you.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. You would think that having 100000 candidates would be good for a hiring manager but they don't want to deal with any of that shit. They want a solid recommendation from someone they trust and work with, even if it's peripherally. And I (and most sane professionals) would never recommend someone who I didn't think could do the job because that would make me look like an asshole.

I have never gotten a job cold applying. (edit: besides my first one.)

Even if it's someone someone's former babysitter knows who once had a class with someone, it's better than no relationship whatsoever.

[quote name='62t']Can't you call in sick or something to go to an interview?[/QUOTE]

Most places (that I've worked at or know of) don't offer sick time until at least 3-6 months of work.

[quote name='confoosious']You don't want to work for those companies because those companies are fucking idiots. The right person for a job is the right person for a job.

If someone comes to me highly recommended by someone I know, I don't give a crap if he's been unemployed for awhile.

That being said, now more than ever, its about who you know.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on the who you know part. I actually read an article recently about one particular Ernst and Young location where a recruiter admitted that they didn't look at any resumes which didn't come from referrals.

Unfortunately for me, my close friends all either went to medical school or became engineers. A lot of them want to help, but I've tapped my network as far as I can, with nothing to show for it. Both jobs I've gotten, I've gotten on my own entirely. That also explains why I've struggled to get a job in my desired industry (finance/accounting).

Meritocracy should be all that matters, but unfortunately these days, it's not. As much as I love the internet, I feel it's almost destroyed the job search process. Before, talking to someone in person would show initiative and moxie. These days, it's just a hindrance met with the generic response of "just apply online."

[quote name='Malik112099']Most places (that I've worked at or know of) don't offer sick time until at least 3-6 months of work.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but you just don't get paid for that day. But it's worth it to not get paid if you're potentially getting another job. Just don't get fired over doing it.

[quote name='darkcecil32']Agreed on the who you know part. I actually read an article recently about one particular Ernst and Young location where a recruiter admitted that they didn't look at any resumes which didn't come from referrals.

Unfortunately for me, my close friends all either went to medical school or became engineers. A lot of them want to help, but I've tapped my network as far as I can, with nothing to show for it. Both jobs I've gotten, I've gotten on my own entirely. That also explains why I've struggled to get a job in my desired industry (finance/accounting).

Meritocracy should be all that matters, but unfortunately these days, it's not. As much as I love the internet, I feel it's almost destroyed the job search process. Before, talking to someone in person would show initiative and moxie. These days, it's just a hindrance met with the generic response of "just apply online."[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you are trying to get into the Big Four? Sometimes it is easier to get into a financial firm first, and then try to get into the Big Four after a few years of experience under your belt. They typically don't hire non-experienced graduates unless you have a stellar GPA and come from a top school. Ironically, one of the two that I spoke of in my previous post wants me to join his team in the Big Four (we both met and got our start in one of the lower-tier banks).

I would also suggest applying to jobs out of state. The higher profile cities obviously have more openings (NY and Chicago), while you can also apply to less desirable cities where the requirements won't be as strong (San Antonio). Think of it as studying abroad. Just get your few years experience out of state and move back to your home city.

[quote name='Kendro']I'm assuming you are trying to get into the Big Four? Sometimes it is easier to get into a financial firm first, and then try to get into the Big Four after a few years of experience under your belt. They typically don't hire non-experienced graduates unless you have a stellar GPA and come from a top school. Ironically, one of the two that I spoke of in my previous post wants me to join his team in the Big Four (we both met and got our start in one of the lower-tier banks).[/QUOTE]

My sister used to work for one of them. Not sure why she left it, actually.

I got the job seeking equivalent of "it's not you, it's me" e-mail.

Thank you for your interest in this opportunity. Based on the information provided, we are pursuing other candidates who more closely match our current requirements and needs.

This was, literally a minute after, I got an email request to complete some pending tasks on their applicant website. Big companies are weird to deal with. When I originally applied for the job, I got the same message as above about 30 min. before I got the call to interview in the first place.

First time I've ever got shot down (job-wise) on a Saturday night.

I was unsure about the position in the first place. 25-50% travel isn't the best when You have a family at home.

I get those "impressive qualifications but we went with someone that more closely matches our needs but we'll keep your resume on file aka some guy's buddy got the job" emails all the time. :whistle2:/

You guy are lucky - most employers don't bother to send rejection emails at all. At least you know for sure what the outcome is.

[quote name='eldergamer']
It's only stressfull if you don't know how to multi-task and mange your time well. Unfortunately, I work with people who have been there 30+ years and get totally flustered and panic any time they have to deal with more than three specimens at a time.[/QUOTE]

That is so true. 90% of the people were just like that. God forbid something goes wrong or a piece of equipment failed. They would just panic and run around in circles complaining instead of just calling the manufacturer help line or trying to get someone sent out. It was nice being the go to person after only being there for a year. Once I got back into engineering I realized I was no longer a big shot hah.

Just read through the entire thread. Hope you all find something soon.

One route I suggest is temp agencies. I graduated college last May at 22 with a economics degree and spent my entire senior year filling out hundreds of applications only to end up with rejection after rejection. Well about 2 weeks after graduation I decided to apply through a temp agency for an accounting position and was brought in for an interview, agency liked me and got me a job at a large company doing some projects. Stayed there for 5 months building rapport with the manager and department and when a full-time position opened up I was pretty much instantly chosen thanks to my history there. So now less than a year after graduation I've got a solid job in finance, benefits, and the inside track on any other good corporate opportunities that come up in the company.

Check out those temp agencies, find a decent one that gives you holiday pay and stick it out for a few months. So many companies use that as their screening process nowadays so its definitely worth a shot.

Temp agencies don't really apply to some industries. Glad you found something but the closest thing to a temp agency in my industry is contract positions which is a whole other ball of wax.

[quote name='Kendro']I'm assuming you are trying to get into the Big Four? Sometimes it is easier to get into a financial firm first, and then try to get into the Big Four after a few years of experience under your belt. They typically don't hire non-experienced graduates unless you have a stellar GPA and come from a top school. Ironically, one of the two that I spoke of in my previous post wants me to join his team in the Big Four (we both met and got our start in one of the lower-tier banks).

I would also suggest applying to jobs out of state. The higher profile cities obviously have more openings (NY and Chicago), while you can also apply to less desirable cities where the requirements won't be as strong (San Antonio). Think of it as studying abroad. Just get your few years experience out of state and move back to your home city.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with everything you said, Kendro. I'm trying to get in wherever I can. My initial aim was to get a corporate financial analyst position, preferably at a Fortune 500 firm (had a few interviews, no dice), out of college. Today, I'll really take whatever I can get. Building any sort of experience in the right industry is key, as you've said, and I definitely don't want to be pigeon-holed into doing what I do now moving forward. I've been applying for jobs all over the country (I ideally want to be in Seattle, currently in Upstate New York) with a mishmash of large cities and smaller ones.

I'm not aiming for the Big 4 in particular, (although I have some loose connections at all of the Big 4 besides Ernst and Young) as much as I am keeping myself apprised on industry trends. I come from a good but not amazing undergraduate program, but most classmates of mine, even mediocre ones, got jobs in the industry without a hitch. I tried to get a start as a bank teller at a local Bank of America branch a while back, but was told I was way over-qualified and should be looking for a corporate job :roll:.

I also had a memorable phone interview from an elite hedge fund where the interviewer told me that I interviewed very well and that he'd pass my resume onto a hiring manager, but since I didn't come from "Dartmouth, Yale, or Princeton" that I had virtually no realistic shot. He advised me to go to a top 15 business school and apply again after getting an MBA.

[quote name='Malik112099']I get those "impressive qualifications but we went with someone that more closely matches our needs but we'll keep your resume on file aka some guy's buddy got the job" emails all the time. :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. Read through the entire thread and very sad to hear about your situation, Malik. I hope that things work out for you soon.

[quote name='darkcecil32']I also had a memorable phone interview from an elite hedge fund where the interviewer told me that I interviewed very well and that he'd pass my resume onto a hiring manager, but since I didn't come from "Dartmouth, Yale, or Princeton" that I had virtually no realistic shot. He advised me to go to a top 15 business school and apply again after getting an MBA.
[/QUOTE]

It's always awesome when an interviewer insults you or your school or something like that. Once I basically got told "Well, I decided to interview you anyway even though you weren't in the top 15% of your class because of your work experience." Oh, gee, thanks. So kind of you to come down off your high horse to interview a peasant like me. And this was me interviewing for a position below where I normally would have been - so no shit I had the work experience you were looking for. It's also ironic because I've often found that the people who interview me don't have outstanding academic credentials themselves that they seem to want in their candidates. But apparently think those high academic credentials are key to doing the very kind of work that they're doing even though other things like work experience might matter more... despite the fact they don't meet their own academic qualifications. Its just absurdity out there. I guess in this kind of market they can demand certain qualifications, but you'd think some of these people without the most stellar backgrounds who are in positions to interview and hire would see the value in other things.

I had an interview for an avionics bench technician job (which I basically did in the Air Force for 10 years) and was given an electrical engineering test during the interview. Then they brought in an actual electrical engineer to grade the test in front of me. It was horrifying. I shit you not. Worst interview ever.

I am really disliking recruiters trying to push positions that are below my skill/education level. If I wanted that job I would have stopped going to school years ago and just settled.

It bothers me when some of these companies act like it's an honor for them to even talk to you. HCA is a big employer here, and even with having gotten an in with a recruiter there through my fiance, the last folks I talked to acted like I wasn't good enough for them. Not that I wasn't qualified for the job, they weren't even looking for a degree, they just had a very elitist attitude I didn't appreciate. Of course they're also one of the largest employers in the area, so that's kind of an issue.

[quote name='Clak']It bothers me when some of these companies act like it's an honor for them to even talk to you. HCA is a big employer here, and even with having gotten an in with a recruiter there through my fiance, the last folks I talked to acted like I wasn't good enough for them. Not that I wasn't qualified for the job, they weren't even looking for a degree, they just had a very elitist attitude I didn't appreciate. Of course they're also one of the largest employers in the area, so that's kind of an issue.[/QUOTE]

I've felt like that at work. Been in positions where you have to talk with management 3 or more levels above you and they act like you don't deserve to be in the same room as them. Hate that shit.

Only real way to deal with it is to exert yourself. It's been my experience people like that tend to back down when they see you won't take shit from them. Stand up for yourself, have pride in your work, don't let them look down on you.

I live in a heavy industry area and got an Associate's Degree in Applied Science (Process Technology) I finished that program back in May of 2011 and decided not to continue on with the Bachelor's degree. I noticed how much more valuable experience is compared to a degree so I have been trying to get some.

I was working at a Wholesale produce place since I was 18 up until 21 (I am 23 now) I ended up quitting that job In August of 2011 and ended up being unemployed for an entire year. Looking back at it I should have had something lined up before jumping the gun but the stress was too much and it was seriously affecting my day to day mood.

Fast forward to now and I got a job at a Waste Recycling plant now and though it's not really what I want to do it is good enough to put on my resume. I've been there for 6 months now and it's also the most money I have made (Right around 30k/yr with overtime and incentives) The perk is that I work 2nd shift so I am continuously applying to places and have my mornings open for interviews.

A friend of mine got pretty lucky and was hired in somewhere more closely related to what we went to school for. He's making more than double than I am and I hope to land something similar. He called me yesterday to let me know that someone is leaving his department and had me forward my resume to give to his Plant Manager. Hopefully something works out for me soon but in the mean time I am going to make the best of what I have.

[quote name='elessar123']My sister used to work for one of them. Not sure why she left it, actually.[/QUOTE]

Maybe she wanted to work less than 80 hours a week?

so a gamestop is opening close to my house. I was thinking of applying. This would be my first job, and I don't really know all that well what to expect. Obviously I'm not one to think you sit around playing games all day, but for anyone that's worked there or knows someone who has, how does it compare to other retail jobs? I'm desperate for just about anything, but do I have a chance without experience?

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']so a gamestop is opening close to my house. I was thinking of applying. This would be my first job, and I don't really know all that well what to expect. Obviously I'm not one to think you sit around playing games all day, but for anyone that's worked there or knows someone who has, how does it compare to other retail jobs? I'm desperate for just about anything, but do I have a chance without experience?[/QUOTE]
Oh god, you might need some retail experience for that kind of job. Especially for promoting their items. Thing is, most places ask for retail experience, but where in the hell do we get experience if most of them require it. I currently work at a Circle K (Job is very demanding for the little they pay) and I believe it would be the same except you're not worrying about getting robbed or shafted as much.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']so a gamestop is opening close to my house. I was thinking of applying. This would be my first job, and I don't really know all that well what to expect. Obviously I'm not one to think you sit around playing games all day, but for anyone that's worked there or knows someone who has, how does it compare to other retail jobs? I'm desperate for just about anything, but do I have a chance without experience?[/QUOTE]

I would think gamestop to be a pretty entry level job. I wouldnt imagine anyone with any type of interest in video games would have an issue getting on there.

[quote name='Rosterking']Oh god, you might need some retail experience for that kind of job. Especially for promoting their items. Thing is, most places ask for retail experience, but where in the hell do we get experience if most of them require it. I currently work at a Circle K (Job is very demanding for the little they pay) and I believe it would be the same except you're not worrying about getting robbed or shafted as much.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Malik112099']I would think gamestop to be a pretty entry level job. I wouldnt imagine anyone with any type of interest in video games would have an issue getting on there.[/QUOTE]

Well now I'm very confused. Thanks for the advice though, I'm going to probably try regardless. Yeah, that's my problem. Can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job:cry:

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Well now I'm very confused. Thanks for the advice though, I'm going to probably try regardless. Yeah, that's my problem. Can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job:cry:[/QUOTE]
Yea, that's what I was thinking when I got my job there. All you really need is a friend who can put in a good word for you. My friend did this for me and the manager loves me. I'm even training the new guy.

[quote name='Rosterking']Yea, that's what I was thinking when I got my job there. All you really need is a friend who can put in a good word for you. My friend did this for me and the manager loves me. I'm even training the new guy.[/QUOTE]

by friend do you mean someone that works there, or just a good "reference"? The store is just opening, so obviously I'm out of luck on the first one

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']by friend do you mean someone that works there, or just a good "reference"? The store is just opening, so obviously I'm out of luck on the first one[/QUOTE]
Someone who works there. Sorry, that's all I can say about that.

[quote name='Rosterking']Oh god, you might need some retail experience for that kind of job. Especially for promoting their items. Thing is, most places ask for retail experience, but where in the hell do we get experience if most of them require it. I currently work at a Circle K (Job is very demanding for the little they pay) and I believe it would be the same except you're not worrying about getting robbed or shafted as much.[/QUOTE]

Kmart seems to hire anyone breathing.

[quote name='kodave']It's always awesome when an interviewer insults you or your school or something like that. Once I basically got told "Well, I decided to interview you anyway even though you weren't in the top 15% of your class because of your work experience." Oh, gee, thanks. So kind of you to come down off your high horse to interview a peasant like me. And this was me interviewing for a position below where I normally would have been - so no shit I had the work experience you were looking for. It's also ironic because I've often found that the people who interview me don't have outstanding academic credentials themselves that they seem to want in their candidates. But apparently think those high academic credentials are key to doing the very kind of work that they're doing even though other things like work experience might matter more... despite the fact they don't meet their own academic qualifications. Its just absurdity out there. I guess in this kind of market they can demand certain qualifications, but you'd think some of these people without the most stellar backgrounds who are in positions to interview and hire would see the value in other things.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, elitism and arrogance like that sicken me. And it's definitely true that most people that are searching for idealized credentials hardly ever possess said credentials themselves. You would hope that a solid work ethic would count for something. I know a fair amount of people that went to top tier schools but had no work ethic and struggled to hold down their jobs. Of course, it certainly didn't hurt that they were afforded great opportunities right off the bat, but complacency/being idle won't get you terribly much in the long run.

So..interesting morning..

Received a call from a recruiter about 2 possible jobs, a friend of mine told me his boss asked for my resume and now I'm sitting here waiting for this rescheduled phone interview...

EDIT: He finally ended up calling. Liked my resume but I have no ERP experience. Wants to keep my resume for any future openings because he really likes to hire ex-military. I thanked him for his time and the hunt continues...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='2DMention']Had a phone interview with Target that went well. Have an in-person interview on Fri.[/QUOTE]

For a corporate or management type position? Or for a run of the mill hourly position?

I remember fresh out of high school I applied for a job at Target at the computer kiosk in the store, went through all that jazz, and then it told me to pick up the red phone for an immediate phone interview. I picked up, dialed whatever extension it said, and the manager was like "Yeah we're not hiring right now I don't know why it bothered to have you pick up the phone and call." Maybe she was bullshitting, maybe not. The point of my story is - was that your phone interview? Like in the store? Or did someone actually call you at home?

I have an interview tomorrow morning I landed thru a buddy that works at the place. I've got lots of inside info and drove by earlier to take a look. Pretty excited/nervous.

i just had my first full fledged interview on the phone.

usually phone interviews are just screening interviews, but this one was like a regular in person interview, but on the frickin phone.

ive honestly never liked phone interviews. i need to see the other person to perform well.

After two + months of unemployment, I am back to work on Monday with a great job making more than I ever have before. I've been ghosting this thread for awhile and hope everyone else looking finds the right job for them.

Congrats on the phoner. Hope it turns out well.

I had my interview this morning at 11am. Lasted about 45 minutes and was very comfortable/informal. Fingers crossed I would love to get this position.

[quote name='Malik112099']Congrats on the phoner. Hope it turns out well.

I had my interview this morning at 11am. Lasted about 45 minutes and was very comfortable/informal. Fingers crossed I would love to get this position.[/QUOTE]

hey were you wishing me?

because my phone interview was hell and i dont think i did well at all. i applied for a specific position, and i was asked, what kind of role are you looking for?

durrr the one that im interviewing for right now? derp?

so i just had to bullshit and i hate bullshitting and exaggerating. I was also asked, what I like and dislike about one of my past experiences.

This isn't even entry level and the last time I was asked that question was for an internship 2 years ago. So I too had to bullshit my answer on that one.

Seriously, I don't feel bad about myself. I just hate the interviewer (who was the hiring manager, not HR) for asking questions that HR* are supposed to ask! Really wanna smack that guy in the head.

Give me a technical question please, or some case studies, or some scenarios. not this fit behavioral crap.

edit: when the hiring manager emailed me to inform me that he wasnt moving forward with my application. i was tempted to respond with telling him to consider changing careers to HR. considering the types of questions he asked and how unprepared he was, hes better off as HR

Last edited by a moderator:
This is kind of weird, but I've never done an interview. (I've had 3 jobs.) Now that I'm a senior in college, I'm starting to look for more jobs, and I already have one lined up, but I'm kind of scouting for others, just to see. I have plenty of experience in my field (computer science, programming), but I'm still nervous about interviews. Especially since I know most of them will be phone interviews. Unlike most CS majors, I work well with people and would prefer to talk to somebody directly.

I guess we'll see how it goes. Hopefully my experience will balance out what I screw up in the interviews. :/

Also, good luck Malik. I've been lurking the thread really hoping that you'll fall into something. :p I think you've got a good chance with this one. As somebody who's only been hired via friends/references, I know that definitely gives you a 1-up on everybody else.

[quote name='kodave']For a corporate or management type position? Or for a run of the mill hourly position?

I remember fresh out of high school I applied for a job at Target at the computer kiosk in the store, went through all that jazz, and then it told me to pick up the red phone for an immediate phone interview. I picked up, dialed whatever extension it said, and the manager was like "Yeah we're not hiring right now I don't know why it bothered to have you pick up the phone and call." Maybe she was bullshitting, maybe not. The point of my story is - was that your phone interview? Like in the store? Or did someone actually call you at home?[/QUOTE]

They called me on my cell phone. It wasn't at the kiosk.

It's for a run of the mill hourly position. Back room.

Well, I found out I got the job. I'm happy to be working anywhere. My orientation starts on Tues. I've been searching for a over a year. It will be nice to be working again. And the good thing is that it's not far from my parents house or my house.

Can anybody comment on how it is working at Target? I'm sure some of you have worked there. I've heard it's a good place to work.

[quote name='2DMention']Can anybody comment on how it is working at Target? I'm sure some of you have worked there. I've heard it's a good place to work.[/QUOTE]

For a while, it was a decent place to work, although I think it started to go downhill shortly after I started there. I've worked in two different Targets, and the first one back in 2010 was good as my hours stayed consistent. The second one where I'm at now, started decent, but the demands have gotten more outrageous as time goes by. Maybe it varies by store, but the store I'm at now I've been averaging 10-15 hours for the past month and a half and the store as a whole is understaffed. Feels like Target is a glorified Wal-Mart at this point in time.

bread's done
Back