Sega Dreamcast DVD Case Project [56k beware!]

This concept is like 2 years old guys, I've moved on due to lack of intrest. (This is like the 2nd thread over this) I needed high rez scans, funding or like new copies of games... and got a few scans. I found other ways to occupy my time than spend hours making the perfect Dreamcast covers. Anyways, with all the total garbage hackjob covers going around now... I just got bored. Sorry guys!

[quote name='cyrix`']Well I've been thinking of changing the cover to one I found someone use on dcemulation.com:
http://img367.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kof02dvd4ao.jpg

Why?
- I like the orange better than white
- Looks more next gen (or current gen now)
- Is a lot more easier to make covers for

But oh great CYRiX, orange won't work for pal!
Well if there is enough people who want it I can easily change orange to blue.[/QUOTE]
I like that a lot. Maybe we could even make the orange bar a little thicker so that the square cover art could just plug right in there? I probably won't get in on this project since all my DC stuff is complete, but I could possibly provide scans.

EDIT: Here's a quick template I threw together. If anyone wants a 300 dpi PSD of this, let me know. OBviously the solid blue and green would be replaced by cover art (they're not perfect squares, but they're pretty close, within 60 or so pixels).

dctemp.jpg

[quote name='cyrix`']Eh still it wouldn't work because the covers have that little Curve that would mess it up.[/QUOTE]
I was figuring just leave it in. But, whatever :)

So, something like this then?

plasma9bd.jpg

Edit: heh, just noticed that little sliver of white on the right. Oh well. You get the idea.

[quote name='cyrix`']I must say that looks really ugly...[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that orange is pretty harsh in such large volumes...

Well, seems like we'll have to do the custom covers for the most part then.

Unless, you just want to plug the front and back, while stretching the height.

20hr.jpg

Or..

Stretch the back a hell of a lot to make it similar to that KOF02 cover.

17us.jpg

Yeah, I'm not sure what the best approach is... maybe have an orange border around the spots up top rather than solid orange? I'm not a big fan of stretching at all, let alone that much, but the labor involved in getting something passable in this project might be a little much...

The problem with the original white cover is you have to stretch any image beyond all belief so every cover has to be completely 100% custom. That way if we do them like mine they won't be stretch out as much and will make the current gen.

Just have it resized to print on one page (Yes a little white shows on the long sides, thats normal) and it should be fine.

A Jet Grind Radio cover (that fits into a SLIM DVD case) would be great. Please retain the ORIGINAL artwork on the front cover though! (and when sizing it, make sure its sized to print!). Thanks! :D :) :applause: :cool: :hot:

I have Alone in the Dark and would like a cover of it. If I scan the front and back, would it be possible to make a game cover out of it?

[quote name='4tygames']I have Alone in the Dark and would like a cover of it. If I scan the front and back, would it be possible to make a game cover out of it?[/QUOTE]

Problem here is that we haven't even decided on a proper template. If I have time later, I can probably work something; similar to the import Saturn covers I made, maybe

[quote name='4tygames']Ok, here are the scans:

Front Cover

Back Cover

Some of the inside cover artwork

Thanks again![/QUOTE]

Alright, I have the front cleaned up and lookin good, but can you rescan the back? There seem to be a ton of scratches on the back of the case that would be a pain to edit out, plus the barcode sticker in the corner. So, if you took the insert out and scanned that, it should be a lot cleaner. Not too hard to take out btw. Just kinda pull the CD holder away from the back, should snap right out and back in when you're done.

EDIT: Include the spine as well.

The problem with the back cover is that the game is uses a 2 disc case. I tried prying the cd holder away from the back but it is sealed shut.

I'll scan the spine and have it up in an hour.

EDIT: Spine

Hard part's done and the back is looking better than expected. Just need to mess with the front some more and make the spine. I'll post the hi-rez when I'm done.

Alright, I think I'm done. Took a while for me to figure out what I wanted to do with the front, but I think it turned out pretty nice.

Hi-Rez

[quote name='cyrix`']why dont u actually put in a lil more effort and use the black template.[/QUOTE]

You mean having the Dreamcast logo on the side instead of at the top? I tried that, didn't look right, so I just took the side of the white and darkened it. I actually like how it looks, plus it makes it seem a little more in uniform with the whites.

That looks awesome. Thank you so much for all the hard work you put into it SMMM.

Now I can replace my cracked CD case with this!

EDIT: Oh yeah, don't forget to upload it to snackbar ;).

I recently picked up some Dreamcast games dirt cheap. I would like DVD covers of these too. Anyways these titles absolutely deserve Dreamcast DVD covers.

Here are the scans:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Front
Back
Inside

Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Front
Back
Inside

Ecco The Dolphin: Defender of The Future
Front
Back
Inside

If there are any problems with the scans let me know and I will gladly rescan it.

Thanks for all your hard work!

[quote name='4tygames']I recently picked up some Dreamcast games dirt cheap. I would like DVD covers of these too. Anyways these titles absolutely deserve Dreamcast DVD covers.

Here are the scans:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Front
Back
Inside

Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Front
Back
Inside

Ecco The Dolphin: Defender of The Future
Front
Back
Inside

If there are any problems with the scans let me know and I will gladly rescan it.

Thanks for all your hard work![/QUOTE]

I'll try to get started on them sometime. Did you print out the AitD cover?

This thread really took a crap, huh? I was going to make my own with the GIMP file, but the link doesn't work anymore. Hmm...if I get some time later I might try to resurrect this from the dead.

OK, aparently I suck at all things photo. I downloaded a free trial of PS, and I can't get things to work out right. All I can manage to do is stretch the images. And until I can get the CD-style spines edited out, I'm not going to waste my ink.

This is awesome, its threads like these that are helping my disc and cart-only games get a new look. Thanks everybody keep up the good work! :)

Well, decided to infuse some life into this thread. This is the style I am going to use, and if anyone likes it, I suppose I could upload them to snackbar once I get a few done.

dcps3d.jpg

Hope you like it.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Well, decided to infuse some life into this thread. This is the style I am going to use, and if anyone likes it, I suppose I could upload them to snackbar once I get a few done.

dcps3d.jpg

Hope you like it.[/QUOTE]

That's actually pretty nice. Got a template?

[quote name='SMMM']That's actually pretty nice. Got a template?[/QUOTE]

Well, what I did was use the one cyrix gave me and I slightly modified it. I'll see if I can't get it hosted.

GooglePages or box.net

Those are the best free options on hosting.

I am interested too, this could make it a lot easier getting Dreamcast covers created.

Neither worked, but I'm uploading to rapidshare. Hope to have that link up in about 15 minutes.

Basically, here's how I got from my template to the finish product:
Placed cover as new layer and stretched it to fit the orange boundary on top and spine.
Cropped title from front cover and paintbrushed around it to get white border. Placed this as a new layer on spine and stretched it to look right.
Cropped sides from back cover and placed as new layer on back, stretched to fit.

I had to use a little paintbrush due to not the best scan from cdcovers, but I think it turned out really good.

BTW, does anyone know where to get a student or em, 'evaluation' copy of PS? I don't have the cash to pay $600 when these 30 days are up.

Eh- you'll notice I forgot to delete my powerstone layers. Either leave them hidden or delete.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']

BTW, does anyone know where to get a student or em, 'evaluation' copy of PS? I don't have the cash to pay $600 when these 30 days are up.
[/QUOTE]

no prob. I'll send you something in a sec.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']
sonicadventure3d.jpg

I'll probably have my entire collection done in a week. I do need, however, the regular Toy Commander front cover.[/QUOTE]

ouch. I just traded Toy Commander to another CAG and sent it off yesterday. whoops.

aerowings23d.jpg
or
aerowings2alt3d.jpg

Second one took a little more time (and I'm not completely happy with it) as I had to transform the curve.

BTW, if people think these suck I'll stop whoring the thread, but I think they are pretty good.

Last one for tonight:
crazytaxi23dalt.jpg

If someone could come up with a layer of the white curve, that would reduce this thing down even further. I just have no idea how to do it.

dcflavor.jpg

:D

^Looks great! Thanks for the effort!
I'm would like to see what you can do with the following:
Soul Calibur II
Tech Romancer
Suzuki Astare -that motorcycle racing game
Resident Evil 2
Fur Fighters
Speed Devils

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']^Looks great! Thanks for the effort!
I'm would like to see what you can do with the following:
Soul Calibur II
Tech Romancer
Suzuki Astare -that motorcycle racing game
Resident Evil 2
Fur Fighters
Speed Devils[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna be really selfish and complete the ones in my collection first. At the rate I'm going, I should be done next week (going out of town for a few days starting tomorrow).

I've been using scans at cdcovers, if you don't like what you see let me know.

Oh, and I've only rendered what this looks like, I haven't printed anything yet. I'm going to do at least one more and then I'm going to print to see what it looks like. I also tried making a white curve template, but can't figure out how to make the large portion of it transparent.

bread's done
Back