Sega Dreamcast DVD Case Project [56k beware!]

[quote name='cyrix`']On the spine maybe you could try to not stretch it and just center it?[/QUOTE]

That's easily enough done. They aren't all going to look the same though, due to different sizes in the titles. Let me finish this next one and I'll render the titles to see how it looks.

They look great. Now print them. And you'll see why I gave up on the project.

I'm a perfectionist and I started this project over 2 years ago, my Dreamcast project, was the idea for the GBA to DS project, and after that other projects exploded.

But what you realize in the end. Is that stretched images look like garbage in the finished project. Unless you scan a perfect copy original at 600+ dpi it looks like crap in the end. And in the end you realize that quick jobs look like shit and good jobs take 10-20+ hours.

My project consisted of new original Dreamcast covers, but in the end, I couldnt get the scans I needed in the quality I needed them in. And the second you give people the template, you'll have people making shitty covers with your template and that just sucks in the end.

I'm not telling you what to do, because you'll know after you print the first one.

Here's some help.

1. Here's some SEGA fonts - http://www.clavis.ne.jp/~sonic/segasonic/act5/font.htm
  2. You'll never find an exact copy of the "Dreamcast" font, as it was specially made for Sega. But you'll find some close ones. I'll post later.
  3. You should scan from Dreamcast Magazines, and art books from that time period. Most of my Capcom scans came from a Capcom Artbook. It even had logos in it. http://www.estarland.com/product19688.html
  4. I still have some old templates around. They could be a big help. The template is like 40-50 megs, which is why I never posted it.
  5. Scanned text looks like shit, so get your typing fingers ready.
  6. This guy had a great Dreamcast DVD cover. Check it. http://lyris-lite.net/files/cover_shenmue_newurl.jpg

I dunno, maybe it's just me but I think it looks great (printed Sonic Adventure. Yeah, the back portion is a little stretched, but not so much I'd care to change the design. I don't have a great enough printer where I notice any flaws, but I'd have to print out a modified cover (originally with the black curve) to know for sure.

I have a 5.1 camera, I'll cut this out and take a pic...err, when it dries.

BTW: Here's a pic of the revised spines
dcflavor2.jpg

I think CocheseUSA is uploading them to Snackbar Games. Hopefully Snowcone will do an update soon. Can't wait for the some Dreamcast covers!

I was waiting to see if anyone wanted them. In that case, I'll start uploading them when I get back in town next week.

I'll also print instructions how to print them on one sheet using PS.

[quote name='4tygames']Sweet! I just picked up a couple of Dreamcast games today without any covers. Crazy Taxi and Test Drive 6.[/QUOTE]

Sweet. Picked up a replacement Shenmue and MSR today (both complete). I get back into town Monday, but don't expect anything until probably Wednesday at the earliest.

[quote name='4tygames']GameScanner has some good scans of several games. Hopefully these help!

Link[/QUOTE]

OMG

How could I have not known of this site sooner??! He has a ton of good scans for all systems!!! Looks like I'll be busy for a while...

Interested in me making a new thread for requests? I could update the OP with new covers for easy access (considering this thread is a year old and half the covers are now little red Xs)

I'll try to have it done sometime tomorrow with links to Snackbar. I will also be taking requests. I will do my best to fufill requests already made, but if you want to be sure they are attempted, post in the other thread, too.

It won't just be DC, either. I'll try my hand at any cover. If I fail, at least I gave it a shot. Look for it tomorrow.

i too am intrested in porting my discs into dvd boxs.. here are some questions for those who have done it

1. Any recommendations on scanning the cover art so it doesn't pick up the scanning dust? I have cleaned my scanner repeatedly but it still picks up dust :(

2. what dpi? 300 or 600?

3. what type of printer paper to use?

[quote name='ITDEFX']i too am intrested in porting my discs into dvd boxs.. here are some questions for those who have done it

1. Any recommendations on scanning the cover art so it doesn't pick up the scanning dust? I have cleaned my scanner repeatedly but it still picks up dust :(

2. what dpi? 300 or 600?

3. what type of printer paper to use?[/QUOTE]

1. The dust may come from one of the two things

a. the thing you're scanning (a lot of dust clinging on it, not sure the safest way to clean it off since its paper)
b. Dust from underneath the glass the scanner. If this is the case, you'll need to take it apart and clean it, making sure you don't get more dust in there

But the less dust, the better. A lot of time and frustration is spent photoshopping out dust.

2. 600 is definitely much better quality, but 300 is much better for file size. We generally use 300 because of this.

3. Regular paper will look ok since it'll be behind the glossy slip, but the better the paper quality, the better and more professional it'll look. I use Speed Racer's (A CAG here that offers a printing service) cardstock and it looks like it came right out of a factory.

And I wouldn't recommend using cdcovers.cc's scans, Corchese. 72dpi isn't up to most people's standards.

[quote name='SMMM']1. The dust may come from one of the two things

a. the thing you're scanning (a lot of dust clinging on it, not sure the safest way to clean it off since its paper)
b. Dust from underneath the glass the scanner. If this is the case, you'll need to take it apart and clean it, making sure you don't get more dust in there

But the less dust, the better. A lot of time and frustration is spent photoshopping out dust.

2. 600 is definitely much better quality, but 300 is much better for file size. We generally use 300 because of this.

3. Regular paper will look ok since it'll be behind the glossy slip, but the better the paper quality, the better and more professional it'll look. I use Speed Racer's (A CAG here that offers a printing service) cardstock and it looks like it came right out of a factory.

And I wouldn't recommend using cdcovers.cc's scans, Corchese. 72dpi isn't up to most people's standards.[/QUOTE]

fuck I knew you were going to say that...i hope hp has instructions on how to clean this shit. Im using hp premium plus photo paper, its looks great but LOVES to stick to the plastic in a wierd way when you put it into a protective insert , for example samples of my graphics work, looks great by itself, but when i put it into the protective covers, air pockets form and it kinda fucks the image up :(

[quote name='SMMM']
And I wouldn't recommend using cdcovers.cc's scans, Corchese. 72dpi isn't up to most people's standards.[/QUOTE]

That's why people should supply art if they can. I just use what I can find.

Hey CocheseUSA,

Since you are taking requests, this is what I need:

A few pages back, I posted scans of these Dreamcast games and I would definitely like covers of these games:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Ecco The Dolphin

I have the cover and inserts for this game, but I do not have it scanned:
Crazy Taxi

I have nothing for this game, but I would definitely like a DVD cover:
Test Drive 6

If you are interested in Playstation games, that would be great as well, because I have no idea what happened to Dashobbity. He created covers for these Playstation games, but they were the wrong size (too small) and I have no idea what happened to him:

Spider: The Video Game
The Italian Job

I will scan these Playstation games:

Rally Cross 2
Atari: Aniversary Redux

Thanks!

quake3arenacopyhf7.jpg

anyone like? still need to finish the back bottom of it (can't find all of the little icons and shit)

Repost of the 4 "finished" covers from 2-3 years ago. In case someone wants em.

jetgrindradio1ue7.jpg

sf3thirdstrike1kr0.jpg

powerstone21au9.jpg

soulcalibur1fw0.jpg

Message me with your Email address and I'll send you the High Rez versions.

My final copy of the Quake 3 Arena cover:
quake3arenacopyxk7.jpg

I'm printing it out as we speak, maybe I'll take a picture of it incase and all.

virtuaonfinalbxf2.jpg

I'm selling off a couple of my dreamcast games, so I thought it'd be good to scan and make covers for them before I ship em out. I'll get House of the Dead 2 done tomorrow as well probably. hi-rez and brand new, more accurate template available upon request.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Repost of the 4 "finished" covers from 2-3 years ago. In case someone wants em.

Message me with your Email address and I'll send you the High Rez versions.[/QUOTE]

I like how they're all rated TEEN for Animated Violence and Suggestive Themes. =p

for my templates i dont include ratings because i think there tacky, and plus its just a waste.

Maybe a bit of a boost but this is were I got my DC orange dvd template, a thread on dcemu.co.uk created by "kingbuzzo". Here are his covers:

[quote name='kracker624']Hydro Thunder
HIGH REZ LINK = http://rapidshare.de/files/34459085/Hydro_Thunder.jpg.html

Sonic Adventure - Black Spine
HIGH REZ LINK = http://rapidshare.de/files/34459536/Sonic_Adventure_-_B1.jpg.html

Sonic Adventure - White Spine
HIGH REZ LINK = http://rapidshare.de/files/34460270/Sonic_Adventure_-_W1.jpg.html

Sonic Adventure 2
HIGH REZ LINK = http://rapidshare.de/files/34459796/Sonic_Adventure_2_-_B.jpg.html

Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
HIGH REZ LINK = http://rapidshare.de/files/34459956/Resident_Evil_-_Code_Veronica.jpg.html
[/quote]

LINK GO DOWN

please re up the sonic covers

That's because this was almost two years ago.

Maybe once school is over I will work on Saturn and Dreamcast again. I was thinking of selling both systems to raise some money, but neither system seems to be in much demand.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Honestly, I never got past the 'draft' phase, so I just used plain paper.[/quote]

Yikes...not good.

I have made dvd covers before but using normal paper is not a good idea. You need something thicker...something that doesn't rip easily.
I bought that DVD case cover paper with the pre-fold lines but they aren't as clean as a normal dvd cover paper nor glossy. Using glossy photo paper and cutting it to the size of the sleeve is a pain in the ass and often likes to stick to the plastic cover of the case, which causes air bubbles to appear and it looks worse when it sticks with the dark areas of the image. :cry:

This project needs to get going again. Has so much potential!

Like I said, when I get some time between school and trying to sell some of my collection.

No point wasting the paper or best quality ink setting on a draft copy.

bread's done
Back