Sept. 08 EGM - Reviews Scores and Rumor Mill

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Rest of the Issue

- Exclusive Skate 2 first look and hands-on preview
- Afterthoughts - MGS4
- Interview with Hironobu Sakaguchi (mini interviews with Nobuo Uematsu and Yoshitaka Amano at the end)
- Small article on Call of Duty: World at War's appeal in Japan
- Mini-interview with the guy behind Final Fantasy XI and what that team's working on next.
- First look at Diablo III
- Roundtable with a few western devs on Japanese influences on their work and vice versa.
- An article on Square Enix's line of 360 RPGs.
- Bayonetta Feature - 25 Things You Need to Know About Bayonetta and Interview with Hideki Kamiya
- Feature on the Rise and Fall (and Rise?) of Japan
- Interview with Kenji Eno and his possible return to game development.
- First interview with Tomonobu Itagaki after leaving Tecmo.

Rumor Mill

-Both Banjo-Kazooie games will be headed to XBLA and will incorporate the Stop N Swop feature to let both games interact with one another.

-A certain old-school Konami franchise will be getting a surprise retro-revival sequel that will stay true to its 2D roots. The only hints are that it's not Bucky O'Hare nor Biker Mice From Mars.

-Additional Star Wars characters will be coming to Soul Calibur IV via DLC. They suggest that with the upcoming Clone Wars movie that Obi-Wan, Mace Windu, and/or General Grievous would be likely candidates

-While Japan continues to make quirky games, such as Sony's sequels to Loco Roco and Patapon, but also mentions that Q Entertainment is working on a new fantasy-themed adventure that's definitely not a sequel to Ninety-Nine Nights.

Q-Tips

-Don't expect Halo Wars, Fable 2, or Call of Duty: World at War to to make this holiday season.

-Namco Bandai plans to revisit the Dead to Rights franchise, which last saw the cancelled Extreme Force: Grant City Anti-Crime.

-Rumor is that Bungie has a few multiplatform projects in development, including some that will appear on the PS3.

Reviews

:360::ps3: Soul Calibur IV - A, B+, B+
:360::ps3: Madden NFL 09 - A, B, A-
:360::ps3: NCAA Football 09 - A- - Game of the Month
:360::ps3: Beijing 2008 - B

:360::wii::ps2: Alone in the Dark - B-, D+, C-

:ds: Izuna 2: The Unemployed Ninja Returns - B-
:ds: Guitar Hero: On Tour - B-

Download/Wrap-up

:ps3: PixelJunk Eden - Eden is weird, but the elegant pairing of psychodelic audiovisuals and accessible mechanics is more than welcome.

:360: Too Human - If you've got a loot-whoring, troll-vanquishing itch to scratch, expect to get sucked into this world for hours and hours.

:360::ps3: Bionic Commando Rearmed - Whether you love the original or don't even know what it is, you'll love this.

:360::ps3: 1942: Joint Strike - It's a great revamp of an arcade classic, complete with online multiplayer. We just wish you could continue after losing all of your lives.

Feel free to ask questions about anything in the magazine and I'll try to answer as best as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']

-Additional Star Wars characters will be coming to Soul Calibur IV via DLC. They suggest that with the upcoming Clone Wars movie that Obi-Wan, Mace Windu, and/or General Grievous would be likely candidates

[/quote]

I'm not surprised if that happens. Namco is going to make SCIV the next IDOLM@STER or whatever the hell it's called.

Needless to say I'll buy into it. ;)

-Don't expect Halo Wars, Fable 2, or Call of Duty: World at War to to make this holiday season.

Halo Wars won't, but wasn't Fable just dated for October and CoD: World at War dated for November?

-A certain old-school Konami franchise will be getting a surprise retro-revival sequel that will stay true to its 2D roots. The only hints are that it's not Bucky O'Hare nor Biker Mice From Mars.

snatchersnatchersnatcher.. which I think is technically 2D

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']NCAA 09 was game of the month.[/quote]

Over Madden? Really? Care to fill in why they went that route?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Because it's a higher average score than the rest of the games.[/quote]

Hmm I see. Even with just 1 review?

[quote name='Moxio']Looks like they were wrong about Fable 2... didn't they announce October?[/quote]
They did give a date. But that still doesn't mean it will actually come out on time.

I thought everyone was saying ncaa was significantly buggy... I haven't played it, but if true they need a new reviewer.

[quote name='happy']I thought everyone was saying ncaa was significantly buggy... I haven't played it, but if true they need a new reviewer.[/quote]
Maybe you're thinking of another game? It seems to be getting decent reviews from alot of reviewers.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']-A certain old-school Konami franchise will be getting a surprise retro-revival sequel that will stay true to its 2D roots. The only hints are that it's not Bucky O'Hare nor Biker Mice From Mars.[/QUOTE]
Konami didn't create (and doesn't own) either property, so that's not much of a surprise...

It would be interesting to see what it ends up being, though.

[quote name='primetime']Over Madden? Really? Care to fill in why they went that route?[/quote]

Todd Zuniga loves anything with an acronym and numbers in the title. If he reviews Madden it'll be gotm next month.

Neat. I never played Banjo-Tooie way back when as I had already sold my N64. Now once I get a 360, I'll finally get the chance =].

A couple of issues ago, wasn't there a rumor that Sega was going to be bringing out a Skies of Arcadia sequel soother rather than later? I hope to God that's true and that they weren't referring to Valkyria Chronicles...I really want a new SoA!

"A certain old-school Konami franchise will be getting a surprise retro-revival sequel that will stay true to its 2D roots. The only hints are that it's not Bucky O'Hare nor Biker Mice From Mars"

This would seem to fuel rumours of Suikoden on Wii/PSP.

[quote name='Jest']Todd Zuniga loves anything with an acronym and numbers in the title. If he reviews Madden it'll be gotm next month.[/QUOTE]

Um... Madden was reviewed in this issue. NCAA beat it.

The game of the month is pretty useless now with some games having 1 review and some 3 it just doesn't really work anymore. They need to make it more subjective and not just based on highest average score--have a vote in the office each month or something and a paragraph on why the game won etc.

EGM sometimes makes up rumors if they don't have enough real rumors to fill up the space... On one of their podcasts, they talked about making up a rumor that was actualy true.

EGM is turning to crap lately. They barely have any game reviews anymore. Also saying Fable 2 won't be out this holiday season is weird seeing that Peter M announced at E3 the game was finished and would be out this fall/October.

[quote name='Jest']Todd Zuniga loves anything with an acronym and numbers in the title. If he reviews Madden it'll be gotm next month.[/quote]
He is one of their main sports reviewers, so I'm not sure what your point is.

[quote name='happy']I thought everyone was saying ncaa was significantly buggy... I haven't played it, but if true they need a new reviewer.[/quote]
It has some bugs, but they don't really detract from it being a very good game.

You guys need to remember how early they write this stuff, since this issue was written well before E3, so the delay rumors were written before dates were announced at the show.

[quote name='Kendal']So is Bionic Commando Rearmed coming out?[/quote]
In two weeks. You didn't see the announcement yesterday?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']In two weeks. You didn't see the announcement yesterday?[/quote]

No. I gave up on it ever coming out and figured it would release in a few months. This is awesome.

bread's done
Back