Sept 2010 @Gamer Magazine Coupons ($130 in savings)

Animekatt

CAGiversary!
My store got the new @Gamer magazines in today with some pretty good coupons. All coupons are good from 8/29 - 10/2.

:360: $15 off Splinter Cell Conviction
:360::ps3: $20 off Red Dead Redemption
:ds: $15 off Dragon Quest IX: Sentinals of the Starry Skies
:psp: $20 off Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker
:360::ps3: $15 off Kane & Lynch 2 Dog Days
:360::ps3: $20 off Final Fantasy XIII
:wii: $15 off Metroid: Other M
:360::ps3: $10 off Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

In order to use these, you have to purchase the book @ $5.99, and be a Reward Zone Gamer's Club member (free). All coupons should be working correctly now.

Last edited by a moderator:
quite honestly I think you can argue that its returnable merchandise. B&N does this with books and mags. Personally, I would never do it because the time, drive, and gas to save $6, is not worth it to me.

I picked up Other M today with the coupon. Probably could have waited for a price drop on it, but I like my Metroid!

[quote name='elrobo8']I picked up an copy of the magazine after class today for the Metroid and Peacewalker coupons only to get home and find a free copy of it sitting in my mailbox. Anybody know if BB's return policy covers magazines?[/QUOTE]

I returned it though Bestbuy would not like to return the magazine. But the return desk guy asked the manager and they said this one is exception.

For the guys who got the Sept mag, did any of you also receive the initial 1st mag also? Was just thinking maybe the people that got skipped for the 1st mag are now getting this one. I would hate to buy one just to find one in my mailbox later.

Found my "trial" copy of the magazine in the mail today. It's the current one, not the August one. The August one never showed up in the mail.

[quote name='icarusmight']For the guys who got the Sept mag, did any of you also receive the initial 1st mag also? Was just thinking maybe the people that got skipped for the 1st mag are now getting this one. I would hate to buy one just to find one in my mailbox later.[/QUOTE]

I received this months issue in the mail but never received the first issue. So I assume if you received the first issue you wont receive this one as well. Incidentally my brother, who also has a RZ gamer account, has yet to receive either issue so I assume that some CAGs may not receive this issue either and may end up receiving the Oct issue in the mail.

At the Best Buy by me the magazines were by a computer near the video games not near the registers. I asked and they had no idea and I did some looking around and found them there, so if they aren't by the registers try checking around there.

I received the first issue in the mail, but I didn't even use any of the coupons from it. I wish I had gotten the second issue instead of the first one.

Best Buy blows. I couldn't get my SC:C coupon to work because like I stated, my Best Buys around here are like that. "Well see, the coupon states it can't be used with sale prices"...This was me trying to get an adjustment on 8/31, two days into SC:C returning to $40 so I can't exactly grab the game and say "Look, just try it, I guarantee it works"...I bought the game on 8/29 for $20, and was told I could just bring the receipt in for an adjustment (like my previous post) because they didn't have the new issue out yet...I have receipt and coupon there finally, but nope. He "wasn't aware of such a glitch" as any coupons, at all, working against their rules...I even explained twice that corporate means for them to work, and 3 days or so into the last session of coupons they fixed the system. I lied and said my fiancee's sister explained that to me (she works at a BB, but didn't say that, CAG did)...Still, nothing. He had to follow the coupon.

This is why I didn't even think to ignore the fine print, sh*t like this is how my BB's roll (this was between 2 B & M's). They wouldn't give me my $15 difference because of the damn coupon print. Then I got into a "debate" with the same tool at Cust. Service about sending feedback up the chain to fix the coupon print for future issues. I tried to state it like 3 times, that I was realizing I couldn't get my $15 NOW (I gave up on that), I wanted him to send some feedback on a broad scale to corporate to stop printing the damn coupons with irrelevant and useless rules if they weren't applicable/valid. If what is being said is true here, and these ARE to work with sale items (way too many people here had success across the nation), then they shouldn't be printing otherwise on there so BB zealots in the stores just follow it. It's moot, remove it.

I was very tactful (unlike this post) to the man, and intelligently conversed about escalating the concern, but he kept saying "that won't fix the here and now, I can't give you $15 back, it'll take days to work through channels and might not even do anything" ...Then he tried to retort with "those are printed months in advance" when I said they changed the system to accept them but need to change the print. Again, no. I calmly said there was an ad deadline table in the back of the first issue that showed they are monthly publications and there is no such delayed time line, so cutting the head off the problem would ensure it dried up sooner than that.

Repeatedly, I tried to make him understand I get that I won't get $15 "now", that I was concerned for the tens of THOUSANDS of customers who this "discrepancy" could impact over the next YEAR (that perspective should have gave him a red flag). He just got more aggravated because he still thought I wanted my $15 right then. He went down in flames from a customer service standpoint. I do some heavy sales/psychology in my line of business, and he just plain sucked at his job. I was the perfect customer with a real issue, I told him it's not him, it's his company that's the problem and I repeatedly kept calm and stated I realize it's not his fault, I said I don't mean to be difficult, I realize he can't fix my problem and can't guarantee a future fix, I just wanted an attempt. I remained logical and rational and polite. I was literally ideal. All meaningless.

I have subscribed to the magazine, and one of the selling points was from CAG's, that they work on sale items. $5 games? Sign me up. Ignorant corporate mistakes? GTFO.

Maybe I'll try returning to the original location I bought the game from to see if they can match it, maybe I'll get a different response. My point (rant) though, is about a pattern...I've never had the best of luck with BB and these kinds of "things"...hence why I didn't blink twice about these coupon rules. Fail.

[quote name='BWS1982']Best Buy blows. I couldn't get my SC:C coupon because like I stated, my Best Buys around here are like that. "Well see, the coupon states it can't be used with sale prices"...This was me trying to get an adjustment on 8/31, two days into SC:C returning to $40 so I can't exactly grab the game and say "Look, just try it, I guarantee it works"...I bought the game on 8/29 for $20, and was told I could just bring the receipt in for an adjustment (like my previous post) because they didn't have the new issue out yet...I have receipt and coupon there finally, but nope. He "wasn't aware of such a glitch" as any coupons, at all, working against their rules...I even explained twice that corporate means for them to work, and 3 days or so into the last session of coupons they fixed the system. I lied and said my fiancee's sister explained that to me (she works at a BB, but didn't say that, CAG did)...Still, nothing. He had to follow the coupon.

This is why I didn't even think to ignore the fine print, sh*t like this is how my BB's roll (this was between 2 B & M's). They wouldn't give me my $15 difference because of the damn coupon print. Then I got into a "debate" with the same tool at Cust. Service about sending feedback up the chain to fix the coupon print for future issues. I tried to state it like 3 times, that I was realizing I couldn't get my $15 NOW (I gave up on that), I wanted him to send some feedback on a broad scale to corporate to stop printing the damn coupons with irrelevant and useless rules if they weren't applicable/valid. If what is being said is true here, and these ARE to work with sale items (way too many people here had success across the nation), then they shouldn't be printing otherwise on there so BB zealots in the stores just follow it. It's moot, remove it.

I was very tactful (unlike this post) to the man, and intelligently conversed about escalating the concern, but he kept saying "that won't fix the here and now, I can't give you $15 back, it'll take days to work through channels and might not even do anything" ...Repeatedly, I tried to make him understand I get that, that I was concerned for the tens of THOUSANDS of customers who this "discrepancy" could impact over the next YEAR. He just got more aggravated because he still thought I wanted my $15 right then. He went down in flames from a customer service standpoint. I do some heavy sales/psychology in my line of business, and he just plain sucked at his job. I was the perfect customer with a real issue, I told him it's not him, it's his company that's the problem and I repeatedly kept calm and stated I realize it's not his fault, I said I don't mean to be difficult, I realize he can't fix my problem and can't guarantee a future fix, I just wanted an attempt. I remained logical and rational and polite. I was literally ideal. All meaningless.

I have subscribed to the magazine, and one of the selling points was from CAG's, that they work on sale items. $5 games? Sign me up. Ignorant corporate mistakes? GTFO.

Maybe I'll try returning to the original location I bought the game from to see if they can match it, maybe I'll get a different response. My point (rant) though, is about a pattern...I've never had the best of luck with BB and these kinds of "things"...hence why I didn't blink twice about these coupon rules. Fail.[/QUOTE]

Think if you showed them a copy of a receipt with it working, you could get your $15 back?

^^ No idea, not sure if this guy was just bullheaded or if it's a local BB mentality.

Toss...um, okay?

[quote name='kataztrophik']Think if you showed them a copy of a receipt with it working, you could get your $15 back?[/QUOTE]

Not in my experience. I tried a couple of times to go to a different BestBuy, then the store I got "A Deal" at, to see if I can get another copy of a game. I had a receipt in my pocket. They will just say something to the effect of: "That clerk made a mistake, they were not supposed to do that". Then they refuse to scan the coupon & don't even care about the receipt.

Thanks to the guys who responded to my question. I hope BB doesn't stop stacking the coupons with the sale prices but with people trying to get price adjustments with a coupon on top of that, after the sale has ended, will certainly not help. You know who you are...

[quote name='icarusmight']Thanks to the guys who responded to my question. I hope BB doesn't stop stacking the coupons with the sale prices but with people trying to get price adjustments with a coupon on top of that, after the sale has ended, will certainly not help. You know who you are...[/QUOTE]

The only thing I did was try to join the other 99% of posters in this thread on the deal. I bought the game in the sale time frame and I have a $15 off coupon, and only wanted to get the same deal, so I'm not sure what "on top of that" means. I wanted to go as far in saving as the rest of the members here, I didn't try and go above and beyond or work outside the confines of their results.

I might try the original store I got the game in.

[quote name='BWS1982']The only thing I did was try to join the other 99% of posters in this thread on the deal. I bought the game in the sale time frame and I have a $15 off coupon, and only wanted to get the same deal, so I'm not sure what "on top of that" means. I wanted to go as far in saving as the rest of the members here, I didn't try and go above and beyond or work outside the confines of their results.

I might try the original store I got the game in.[/QUOTE]

No, what you wanted to do was to buy the game on sale without having the coupon on hand and then return to the store after you found the coupon to get your money back after the sale ended. That's a strong YMMV with a high likelihood of failure at any store, not just Best Buy. I'm sorry, but for things to work like they do for every one else in this thread, you need to at least approach the deals the same way. If your local store doesn't have the coupon, go somewhere else that does while the sale is still on. Otherwise, don't count on getting the deal.

[quote name='bojay1997']No, what you wanted to do was to buy the game on sale without having the coupon on hand and then return to the store after you found the coupon to get your money back after the sale ended. That's a strong YMMV with a high likelihood of failure at any store, not just Best Buy. I'm sorry, but for things to work like they do for every one else in this thread, you need to at least approach the deals the same way. If your local store doesn't have the coupon, go somewhere else that does while the sale is still on. Otherwise, don't count on getting the deal.[/QUOTE]

Do you remember his post earlier in the thread?

[quote name='BWS1982']Well, with all due respect to those with the conquered attempts of stacking (and your good fortune), don't blame some of us (well, me?) for adhering to the logical idea of reading and comprehending fine print. I was never aware corporate went with a big fat "Nah, let's ignore what we printed for the whole month", and I'm not understanding any condemnation involved of people who did "the moron thing" and figured the fine print meant a damn.

In fact, I'd have felt like a moron walking up to the register and trying to get a sale price discounted when the coupon clearly stated it was disallowed. Whatever, all the better if they stack, but really, I don't get how that is being pitched as common sense, at CAG we are used to catches and fine print. My Best Buy usually shoots that kinda shit out of the sky like anti-aircraft, I didn't even think it worth an attempt.[/QUOTE]

If that would have made him feel like a moron, I wonder how he feels now?

[quote name='BWS1982']The only thing I did was try to join the other 99% of posters in this thread on the deal. I bought the game in the sale time frame and I have a $15 off coupon, and only wanted to get the same deal, so I'm not sure what "on top of that" means. I wanted to go as far in saving as the rest of the members here, I didn't try and go above and beyond or work outside the confines of their results.

I might try the original store I got the game in.[/QUOTE]
Just call the best buy 1-800 number, and explain.

What is there to explain? "I didn't use a coupon on a game that was on sale and now the sale is over. It's your fault for not letting me have the discount. Damn you!!!"

[quote name='Indiana Jones']What is there to explain? "I didn't use a coupon on a game that was on sale and now the sale is over. It's your fault for not letting me have the discount. Damn you!!!"[/QUOTE]

He was explicitly told that he can come back in and use the coupon at a later date because his store did not have this month's copy of the magazine at the time of purchase. Now they are no longer honoring this adjustment.

[quote name='kataztrophik']He was explicitly told that he can come back in and use the coupon at a later date because his store did not have this month's copy of the magazine at the time of purchase. Now they are no longer honoring this adjustment.[/QUOTE]

Yes, by the store he bought it from, not this other location that made no such promises to him. Best Buy does not have a coupon after the sale matching policy, so the second store he visited did nothing wrong.

[quote name='bojay1997']Yes, by the store he bought it from, not this other location that made no such promises to him. Best Buy does not have a coupon after the sale matching policy, so the second store he visited did nothing wrong.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree. I was just trying to give back story to others who didn't read his first post. He should head back to the first store because they should honor the coupon as they told him it was okay.

What's stopping people from just taking the coupon they want/need to use out of the magazine and using it?

[quote name='SnoT']What's stopping people from just taking the coupon they want/need to use out of the magazine and using it?[/QUOTE]

A soul...

and maybe a thin wrapping of plastic, I haven't seen it in the store yet.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']whats to stop you from making a copy of the coupon in the store with one of their copiers?[/QUOTE]

Quite possibly a lack of opposable thumbs ;)

[quote name='bojay1997']No, what you wanted to do was to buy the game on sale without having the coupon on hand and then return to the store after you found the coupon to get your money back after the sale ended. That's a strong YMMV with a high likelihood of failure at any store, not just Best Buy. I'm sorry, but for things to work like they do for every one else in this thread, you need to at least approach the deals the same way. If your local store doesn't have the coupon, go somewhere else that does while the sale is still on. Otherwise, don't count on getting the deal.[/QUOTE]

Glad you know what I "wanted to do" when you clearly aren't aware of the facts as I explained them nor the precedents and expectations set in this thread. Maybe I will seek advice elsewhere. Thanks.

[quote name='Ronin317']Just call the best buy 1-800 number, and explain.[/QUOTE]

I will do that if going to the original location fails me, hopefully I won't have to. I've been busy with some work and have had zero opportunity thus far.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']What is there to explain? "I didn't use a coupon on a game that was on sale and now the sale is over. It's your fault for not letting me have the discount. Damn you!!!"[/QUOTE]

That is out of context for what happened and you know it, your distortion is unappreciated. I'm sorry, but your advice is also null and void.

[quote name='bojay1997']Yes, by the store he bought it from, not this other location that made no such promises to him. Best Buy does not have a coupon after the sale matching policy, so the second store he visited did nothing wrong.[/QUOTE]

As mentioned in my previous post from Tuesday, I'll attempt the original store. My original non-usage of coupon was NOT linked to anything other than Best Buy's ineptitude in diligent stock management (store # 1, mag not in on time). The exacerbation of the issue was another failure in employee education, this is a corporate move (remember?), meaning the choice of store should be irrelevant. Communication breakdown doesn't fall in my lap. This mishap should NOT have happened, mind you, according to the entirety of results in this thread. Remember, BB coupons "just work" with sale prices, and have for months. This isn't a time issue as much as it is Best Buy's lack of communication in allegedly moot fine print. It's deplorable.

If this Customer Service agent at store # 2 had been my cashier on 8/29, he would have DENIED my usage of the coupon due to moot fine print, even assuming I had it on time and in hand. I shouldn't have had to go on an adventure seeking out a magazine AND game, both in stock, just to get the same deal everyone else got with such ease. Per Best Buy, I was advised of security in equitable savings, the same as my fellow CAGer's, and this is supposedly a unanimous corporate initiative, nationwide. The store location shouldn't have had any bearing, per this thread. So now I'm supposed to know I went to the ONE store (apparently) where they don't know about the coupons? I didn't go back to the first store because they had expired magazines 48 hours prior, and I was close to store #2 on Tuesday anyways. How could I have had such foresight after, as you say, "approaching the deals" like everyone else? I DID do just that--didn't work out so well.

[quote name='hotwls13']LOL I think it's his Avatar. Talk about EPIC FAIL!![/QUOTE]

I'm glad your grand intellect could contribute such insight into the relationship of political affiliation and the logistics of including and adhering to coupon fine print. I'll take that under advisement.

48 hours later... Glad you were able to try to make yourself sound smarter than what you have in previous posts.

As for your whole argument, it is pointless because the whole problem could have been avoided by subscribing to the mag. Of course then I am sure you would have found some way to botch that as well and surely you'd be saying how it was the mailman's fault or the real estate agent who persuaded you to live in an area where mail takes an additional day.

[quote name='mvp828']48 hours later... Glad you were able to try to make yourself sound smarter than what you have in previous posts.

As for your whole argument, it is pointless because the whole problem could have been avoided by subscribing to the mag. Of course then I am sure you would have found some way to botch that as well and surely you'd be saying how it was the mailman's fault or the real estate agent who persuaded you to live in an area where mail takes an additional day.[/QUOTE]

You don't get it, do you. And your sarcasm doesn't cement any point, mind you. I'm gullible, or naive about BB, if anything.

I did subscribe (based on the alleged ability to use coupons on sale prices, too), it's noted to take 4-6 weeks. That's irrelevant, as stores are expected to have them in stock (and it'd be nice for them to be aware of their existence, too). I have a document (receipt) that shows I purchased product X on a valid date (Aug. 29) for usage with coupon Y, I have coupon Y which shows it's valid starting on the date of the product purchase. In the 5 years I spent at Jewel during college, that would have been kosher for a refund/credit at the customer service desk, and the BB employee indicated just that. Where did I veer off course? I had a mound of logic behind my decision. On top of that (yes, the argument is that solid), this entire 18 page diatribe indicates the entire company is ignoring that fine print.

You could read said argument and then rebut it, it'd help. The ENTIRE point, per this thread (and I've read the whole thing) and a BB cashier, is it could have been 168 hours later (or within 30 days, according to store #1's cashier) and it WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN RELEVANT. 48 hours, 48 minutes, 4.8 days. I don't get the complexity you're injecting, here. This is a corporate change that was explained here, not anything otherwise, unless that's not true. If I was to believe my fellow CAG's here, and I did, this wasn't to be such a debacle, and I've read some tales of great BB customer service here. I trusted 2 entities: CAG and the BB employee, and at this point, it's still ONLY BB's corporate who I blame. Stop deconstructing the issue at hand to fit your assault. Your spin does nothing, twisting this into me deflecting fault won't work. Anyone who knows me would know I take blame when due. At no point was I lent any doubt to make me figure I was on the wrong track, until recently.

I'm not that defensively adamant on this forum about virtually anything, but this is black and white.

Edit: I'm going to do what should be done. Walk away from this trivial "debate" and barrage of condescension, I'll just give it a damn go at the original BB on my half a day of work tomorrow. If I don't get it I'll call the #, if that still doesn't work, I'll walk away with lesson learned about BB and their coupons. And hey, I still got the game half off, so I'm not b*tching. I don't mean any offense to anyone (unless they meant it at me, I guess)...Some of you have alignment with me, others don't, let's keep this about the coupons and drop my incident. It's an influence for some YMMV variables, though, so I'll report back with a concise result so future CAG's can use it. We're all gamers and here to give and take to save some cash, the rest is a waste of energy.

I received this magazine in the mail yesterday. Something about a "Complimentary copy of GAMER magazine." not complaining. Going in later to get Dragon Quest for $15 after the coupon and a $5 reward certificate.

I got one in the mail, also, so now I have two copies ;-) I'm fine with it though since it would not have been in time to pick up Splinter Cell: Conviction.

The game was absolutely awesome. It's one of the few games I've played through and couldn't put down. All this made better by the fact I got it for $12.

Everyone even remotely interested in action games must play Conviction. An easy 9/10 for me. Loses a point for a slightly annoying camera (only when you're moving on the pipes, though).

Thanks, OP!

[quote name='strife01104']Do those coupons stack with the 10% off coupons they just sent for this weekend? The reward zone coupons[/QUOTE]

You could try, but no, they don't. They are not to be combined with other coupons.

I mean, that's fairly standard for all coupons, especially here since both are from Best Buy.

Where do I subscribe to this lame magazine so I can get my coupons? $15 off Other M would have made it an instant purchase for me.

I think you can subscribe from the reward zone gamers club. Or just buy the magazine in the store if there's a coupon you want...if you buy a lot of new games anyway, probably worthwhile to subscribe.

Got my original store to give me $15 back, this guy didn't even bother to read anything on the back of the coupon. They were busier at this one, and he was very apologetic as his register kept locking up. He wanted to help me and move on. It's being sent as a credit to my CC, $16 and change total.

Just a YMMV for doing these coupons after the fact (with all data showing you could have saved in a past tense, on the date of orig. purchase): Some customer service people won't even consider it, others won't care. Just keep trying BB's if it's that important, otherwise, do the coupon ON the original order itself or don't bother, until BB updates their fine print on these.

Good luck to the rest of the CAG's...

I bought SC Conviction on 8/26 for the full MSRP of $19.99 (at that time it was on sale). Anyways I received a free copy of @gamer magazine in the mail today. My question is, would Best Buy give me the difference (~15) if I brough in SCC and took it to customer service. The only reason I'm asking here, and say not just calling up the store is because I thought I read somewhere in this thread that people were able to do that... granted that was a couple of days after they had bought it and not a couple of weeks in my case.

Just got a survey from Best Buy wanting me to rate the magazine. One of their questions was:

"In regards to reviews, what is your feeling about @GAMER's policy that they only focus on games that they feel are 'worth your time and money' rather than posting both positive and negative reviews?"

So even THEY admit they don't write anything negative.

bread's done
Back