Sept 2010 @Gamer Magazine Coupons ($130 in savings)

Animekatt

CAGiversary!
My store got the new @Gamer magazines in today with some pretty good coupons. All coupons are good from 8/29 - 10/2.

:360: $15 off Splinter Cell Conviction
:360::ps3: $20 off Red Dead Redemption
:ds: $15 off Dragon Quest IX: Sentinals of the Starry Skies
:psp: $20 off Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker
:360::ps3: $15 off Kane & Lynch 2 Dog Days
:360::ps3: $20 off Final Fantasy XIII
:wii: $15 off Metroid: Other M
:360::ps3: $10 off Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

In order to use these, you have to purchase the book @ $5.99, and be a Reward Zone Gamer's Club member (free). All coupons should be working correctly now.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BWS1982']Got my original store to give me $15 back, this guy didn't even bother to read anything on the back of the coupon. They were busier at this one, and he was very apologetic as his register kept locking up. He wanted to help me and move on. It's being sent as a credit to my CC, $16 and change total.

Just a YMMV for doing these coupons after the fact (with all data showing you could have saved in a past tense, on the date of orig. purchase): Some customer service people won't even consider it, others won't care. Just keep trying BB's if it's that important, otherwise, do the coupon ON the original order itself or don't bother, until BB updates their fine print on these.

Good luck to the rest of the CAG's...[/QUOTE]

Buying the game on sale and trying to stack wasn't the issue. Hell buying the game on sale and coming back while the game on sale wouldn't have been an issue either. It was buying the game on sale and bringing the coupon back AFTER the sale ended that's the issue. Why?

Scenario 1.) Game is on sale $20 you buy. You come back a day later with coupon while still on sale. Sales item is returned and resold with coupon, if tenders out sale is valid. Bestbuy is happy because they get credit for the entire sale, you're happy because you bought game for $5. Everyone wins.

Scenario 2.) Game is on sale $20 you buy. You come back with coupon after sale ends, game $40 now. What should happened is return is processed, you repurchase item $40 now, stack coupon, receieve item for $25. Why? Coupon was processed after sale, once off sale bestbuy takes a hit on item if adjusted. Why on earth would they accept a coupon that's worthless for them (it's not worthless when you use it like coupons are supposed to be used... at the time of sale...) since they lost $15 on an item that doesn't have much profit in the first place?

No offense dude but it's shit like this that will only make bestbuy (any company in general) add more restrictions to the already ridiculous fine print they have on their coupons/offers. Not the other way around... this is why we can't have nice things.

I just noticed you quoting me. I'm not even going to read what you wrote. I can get the gist of "a disagreement"...Sorry, that train left and you're not aboard. I've moved on and so should you.

[quote name='elrobo8']Just got a survey from Best Buy wanting me to rate the magazine. One of their questions was:

"In regards to reviews, what is your feeling about @GAMER's policy that they only focus on games that they feel are 'worth your time and money' rather than posting both positive and negative reviews?"

So even THEY admit they don't write anything negative.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't had a reason to pick this magazine up yet, but this pretty much guarantees I'm not going to use anything but the coupons in it. If they aren't a giant ad now, they will be in the future since game publishes know it will also be a glowing review for the right price.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Splinter Cell: Conviction.

The game was absolutely awesome. It's one of the few games I've played through and couldn't put down.

Everyone even remotely interested in action games must play Conviction.
Thanks, OP![/QUOTE]

yeah-game was pretty fun

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Dude. This was over 10 days ago. Let it rest.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter. He still had a good point. Using a coupon after it expired is unheard of even if you did buy the game when the coupon was active. That's how I view it at least. If you wanted the discount, you should have used that coupon during the time frame it was active. Not after or before. Customers who think they are entitled to coupons after they expire are almost the most annoying types of customers only second to the "This is too expensive, so you should work with me on the price customers." They just cause a headache for everyone.

[quote name='DarkRider23'] "This is too expensive, so you should work with me on the price customers." They just cause a headache for everyone.[/QUOTE]

Those are caused by idiots writing "$ave money!" columns where they try to tell people that everything is negotiable!!!!!!! Yes, some things are. But a lowly retail employee (or even sometimes the manager) at big retail chains can't change the price for you unless there are some mitigating circumstances.

That and people paying with checks! SHoot them all!

[quote name='elrobo8']Just got a survey from Best Buy wanting me to rate the magazine. One of their questions was:

"In regards to reviews, what is your feeling about @GAMER's policy that they only focus on games that they feel are 'worth your time and money' rather than posting both positive and negative reviews?"

LOL, man that is too funny....even they know their mag is crapola!

I got that same survey and took it too. That ideal of reviewing games that are worth time an money is one of the dumbest things I've seen. Why the hell would they even bother reviewing them?

[quote name='DarkRider23']Doesn't matter. He still had a good point. Using a coupon after it expired is unheard of even if you did buy the game when the coupon was active. That's how I view it at least. If you wanted the discount, you should have used that coupon during the time frame it was active. Not after or before. Customers who think they are entitled to coupons after they expire are almost the most annoying types of customers only second to the "This is too expensive, so you should work with me on the price customers." They just cause a headache for everyone.[/QUOTE]

You're greatly misinformed too. You must have missed said train. I could just be nice and say "Please read the whole story before commenting" but it's that old at this point...It's linguistically challenged posters like you who didn't read what Best Buy told me that turned it into the news story it was. If you had a modicum of understanding about the whole tale, you wouldn't be making sh*t up, now would you? It's so evident you just stumbled into part of a story; and now you're the headache. DUDE, MOVE ON! :roll:

edit: if any other insightful go-getters have the urge to fill in some blanks, please just refer to the entire story first, and if you still disagree, good for you. At least you read things. I know what really happened, I know what I was told, and I recall what CAG's said about the fine print on the coupon, IN THIS THREAD. Disagreeing with those facts won't make me an entitled douche or you a superior person. I got my $15 like BB told me, the end, el fin, that's all she wrote, game over, thank you and good night.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jaritter']does anybody know if you can use the coupons with reward zone certs? speciffically dragon quest coup + $5 cert?[/QUOTE]

yes. i've done it plenty of times no problems.

[quote name='MikePWV']yes. i've done it plenty of times no problems.[/QUOTE]

My luck I'll probably get denied using a reward certificate and a magazine coupon. What would be epic, would be if these games would go sale.
Coupon+Reward Certificate+Sale=Awesome Deal

[quote name='jaritter']does anybody know if you can use the coupons with reward zone certs? speciffically dragon quest coup + $5 cert?[/QUOTE]

Yep, I got Final Fantasy XIII for $16.xx with the $20 off coupon and a $5 reward zone certificate about 2 months ago with no problems.

Another thread here just claimed Kane and Lynch 2 is $39.99 on sale starting tomorrow... @Gamer coupon knocks it down to $24.99.

Should I expect any problems using the @Gamer coupon on a sale item?

YMMV on lynch since its already on sale, your best bet is to grab it on gamestop.com after 50% off used promo you'd be paying only about $16 shipped for a used copy

I haven't read any of the reviews yet, but what's wrong with the above statement? Leaving out reviews of bad games is entirely different from writing only positive things about games (whether they deserve it or not).

Why on earth would they won't to post a review of some shovelware game and tell you how horrible it is? Better not to mention it at all. If on the other hand they are pimping really horrible games.... ;)

[quote name='Zippon']I haven't read any of the reviews yet, but what's wrong with the above statement? Leaving out reviews of bad games is entirely different from writing only positive things about games (whether they deserve it or not).

Why on earth would they won't to post a review of some shovelware game and tell you how horrible it is? Better not to mention it at all. If on the other hand they are pimping really horrible games.... ;)[/QUOTE]

Depends on how you look at it. If you take their statement as meaning "we won't run reviews of shovelware," then it's a good policy.

If you take it as "we won't run ANY review that's negative (shovelware or not)," it's a different story, because you can learn a lot from a negative review. You can find out that a game is utterly broken and not worth buying at any price point, or you can find out the game is actually up your alley despite not being everyone else's cup of tea. You could also learn that the game you've been following for months is utter crap (Naughty Bear, anyone?). At least you'll know WHY the game has been deemed not worth your time.

Not running negative reviews just makes it seem like one of the higher ups at Best Buy didn't want a BB publication to tarnish the image of any of their products, so they enforced this policy and tried to put a positive spin on it. But that might just be my inner conspiracy theorist talking.

[quote name='elrobo8']
Not running negative reviews just makes it seem like one of the higher ups at Best Buy didn't want a BB publication to tarnish the image of any of their products, so they enforced this policy and tried to put a positive spin on it. But that might just be my inner conspiracy theorist talking.[/QUOTE]

No, that's actually probably about exactly what it is. They don't want to dish on things being put out by, well, their suppliers, as they don't want to damage the relationship and potentially lose preorder bonuses (to be exclusive to target, gamestop, etc) and such.

I'm going to try and use the peace walker coupon with my 15 dollars rewards points and get the game for 5 bucks plus tax and if they don't have that ill try dragon quest on DS.

Is it worth subscribing to the magazine at this point or not?

EDIT: by the way, I know this is a really stupid question but how do I get a RewardZone membership card?

[quote name='scarhawk']Is it worth subscribing to the magazine at this point or not?

EDIT: by the way, I know this is a really stupid question but how do I get a RewardZone membership card?[/QUOTE]

The magazine itself is garbage... but the coupons have been pretty decent.

The thing is, nobody knows if these coupons will continue to be good, because they only promise something tiny, like $20 total savings a month.

Chances are, in a few months the value of the coupons is going to drop like a rock. Right now, they want people to subscribe.

[quote name='scarhawk']Is it worth subscribing to the magazine at this point or not?

EDIT: by the way, I know this is a really stupid question but how do I get a RewardZone membership card?[/QUOTE]

If they keep the coupon values as they have been so far, probably. I'm just concerned they will drop the coupons down from $100 or more per issue down towards the minium of $20.

I got my reward zone card when I bought something at Best Buy. The cashier will most likely ask if you have a reward zone card and you should be able to sign up then.

[quote name='heyheyhey11']No October coupons news?[/QUOTE]

We should hear something soon. I was at a Best Buy yesterday and I saw the new issue at the register. I was running late, so I didn't have time to go back at look at the coupons.

[quote name='CrimsonRavage']If they keep the coupon values as they have been so far, probably. I'm just concerned they will drop the coupons down from $100 or more per issue down towards the minium of $20.

I got my reward zone card when I bought something at Best Buy. The cashier will most likely ask if you have a reward zone card and you should be able to sign up then.

We should hear something soon. I was at a Best Buy yesterday and I saw the new issue at the register. I was running late, so I didn't have time to go back at look at the coupons.[/QUOTE]

Well I signed up for the Gamer's Club and RZ but I don't know how to get the physical card.

[quote name='scarhawk']Well I signed up for the Gamer's Club and RZ but I don't know how to get the physical card.[/QUOTE]

There is no physical card for it, don't worry. It is attached to your reward zone account, and if you don't have that, it is generally tied to your phone number.

[quote name='scarhawk']Well I signed up for the Gamer's Club and RZ but I don't know how to get the physical card.[/QUOTE]

If you signed up in store, the cashier would just hand you one. As far as online, I signed up and I never got a physical card, which is why I resigned up in store.

[quote name='jonathanp']If you signed up in store, the cashier would just hand you one. As far as online, I signed up and I never got a physical card, which is why I resigned up in store.[/QUOTE]

You can also print a temp card once you're logged into the RZ website. It'll be a link under your points total.

[quote name='Nathander']You can also print a temp card once you're logged into the RZ website. It'll be a link under your points total.[/QUOTE]

I know. I'd rather have a physical card then a piece of paper. Not that it matters because I usually just give my phone number anyway lol...

Anyways, I hope the new coupons are just as good as the last two sets.

for a different store with gas rewards i copied the barcode cut it out and taped it to an old gift card from a random store, it works fine and has been that way for awhile

[quote name='Zippon']I haven't read any of the reviews yet, but what's wrong with the above statement? Leaving out reviews of bad games is entirely different from writing only positive things about games (whether they deserve it or not).

Why on earth would they won't to post a review of some shovelware game and tell you how horrible it is? Better not to mention it at all. If on the other hand they are pimping really horrible games.... ;)[/QUOTE]

It's not serious journalism when everything is positive, there is no constructive criticism, and the worst thing about games you can say is that you're upset it took 12 years for Starcraft II to come out or that the kickoff and punt return "excitement" in Madden 11 is toned down.

Reading their "reviews," you'd think Naughty Bear and Sniper: Ghost Warrior are all sunshine and roses.

So in other words, yes, they are pimping out horrible games. The magazine is just glorified advertisement.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']It's not serious journalism when ....[/QUOTE]

...the magazine in question is being provided free by a retailer. :p

Okay. If they are writing untrue positives about bad games, that's not good. But leaving out negative reviews entirely isn't necessarily a bad thing. Which is how I interpreted their poll question.

I thought it might be another example of creatively interpreting a common sense situation to fit the "BB is evil!" mind set. Badmouthing your own inventory would be just plain stupid.

[quote name='Zippon']...the magazine in question is being provided free by a retailer. :p

[/QUOTE]

$6 per issue or $20 for a year. Oddly enough, the subscription that I signed up for only stated I'll get 10. I think BB only designated this "project" to run for 12 issues or something. I dunno, but I paid for an annual subscription of 10 issues. Whatever.

[quote name='BWS1982']$6 per issue or $20 for a year. Oddly enough, the subscription that I signed up for only stated I'll get 10. I think BB only designated this "project" to run for 12 issues or something. I dunno, but I paid for an annual subscription of 10 issues. Whatever.[/QUOTE]

Well that is odd. I got an issue for free in my junk mail pile, so I thought it was just a glorified advertisement. Didn't know they were treating it like a real magazine and charging money.

Took me quite a while to realize Game Informer had decent info it. Now I look forward to each issue. Guess I should read my complimentary copy of @Gamer to see how it stacks up.

[quote name='Zippon']Well that is odd. I got an issue for free in my junk mail pile, so I thought it was just a glorified advertisement. Didn't know they were treating it like a real magazine and charging money.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, alot of people got a free issue (Aug issue here).

[quote name='mgorsi']Anyone got hands on the Oct. 2010 version of the @gamer[/QUOTE]

These dont come out every month 10 issues a year.
Ive answered that twice in this thread already

^That's good to hear. I was concerned of an October issue coming out and replacing the current issue. I have to get those coupons. I'm sure this has been asked already, but when do the coupons in the current issue expire?

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']^That's good to hear. I was concerned of an October issue coming out and replacing the current issue. I have to get those coupons. I'm sure this has been asked already, but when do the coupons in the current issue expire?[/QUOTE]

If your talking about issue #2 they exp 10/02

[quote name='zenquix']does anyone have an unused 20 off RDR to spare?[/QUOTE]
me. i didnt use any of the coupons. i already have K&L2, RDR and MW2....i might want peace walker though. i wish they had one for KH:BBS, maybe this next issue. i got this issue for free. damn these coupons expire this saturday. guess i'll have to think quick with peace walker

October issue is around the corner Best Buy just launched this MAgazine 2 months ago the last thing they will, do is miss an issue now.

November will most likely be absent But there will be a December issue.

And definitely January will be a no go No issue for January Why? Because everyone has bought all their gifts and the major push is over with people and parents are tapped out.

October issue should feature some nice $20 off Coupons on Fall Out New Vegas or Something big like Starts Wars JEDI 2 forgot the name the apprentice one.

definitely looking forward to Octobers coupons since I just got my $25 Gift card today from Best Buy regarding the Whole DEmon Soul's Fiasco.

stand corrected.

October issue

Black ops cover.

There will be a Nov. and Dec. issue also.

135 in gaming coupons in Oct. issue

[quote name='nddave']stand corrected.

October issue

Black ops cover.

There will be a Nov. and Dec. issue also.

135 in gaming coupons in Oct. issue[/QUOTE]

Any idea what the coupons are?

bread's done
Back