Sequel to Disgaea + La Pucelle: Phantom Brave

captaincold

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
Just downloaded the new EGM & they reviewed Phantom Brave, which apparently is the sequel to La Pucelle & Disgaea.
I'd never even heard of this game until now.

Each reviewer gave it a 8.5
"a strategy-rpg to end all strategy-rpg's"

You can preorder the game now, I've got it preordered at Gamestop. They give you a cheesy artbook with your preorder. You can also order a "limited edition" that has special artwork on the cover and a soundtrack CD.

Good to hear it got great reviews, but it sounded good to start with. One interesting aspect is it loses the grid system and you have a circle around you with your attack range. Sounds similar to Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story in this aspect. However, these games are probably about as related as the Final Fantasy games, so they aren't true sequels like in the sense of Zelda, Metroid, or Mario.

Thanks for the post though!

[quote name='tdphillips']You can preorder the game now, I've got it preordered at Gamestop. They give you a cheesy artbook with your preorder. You can also order a "limited edition" that has special artwork on the cover and a soundtrack CD.

Good to hear it got great reviews, but it sounded good to start with. One interesting aspect is it loses the grid system and you have a circle around you with your attack range. Sounds similar to Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story in this aspect. However, these games are probably about as related as the Final Fantasy games, so they aren't true sequels like in the sense of Zelda, Metroid, or Mario.

Thanks for the post though![/quote]

By any chance, have you played Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits?

[quote name='tdphillips']You can preorder the game now, I've got it preordered at Gamestop. They give you a cheesy artbook with your preorder. You can also order a "limited edition" that has special artwork on the cover and a soundtrack CD.

The loss of the grid is my biggest worry about this game. I worry they're going to go away from the hardcore strategy/tactical side and move towards a more mainstream (read: easier) strategy RPG. And I agree, it's not a sequel in the least.. just another strategy RPG from Atlus.

um... I don't think you have to worry about this game being maistreamed. To cite EGM, "Rainman. The math genius dude from a Beautiful Mind. The hardest of the hardcore who beat both FFT and FFTA. These are the people who can dig Phantom Brave....It's enough to melt your brain several times over." I've had mine reserved for months and can't wait.

Man, this year is chock-full of SRPG's. I'm excited at how this genre seems to have made a bit of a comeback this year - I love 'em.

[quote name='robdees']um... I don't think you have to worry about this game being maistreamed. To cite EGM, "Rainman. The math genius dude from a Beautiful Mind. The hardest of the hardcore who beat both FFT and FFTA. These are the people who can dig Phantom Brave....It's enough to melt your brain several times over." I've had mine reserved for months and can't wait.[/quote]

Please don't quote EGM again...I find them to be industry whores who will give good ratings to games that "should" be good or to big companies who tell them to - see EA Sports and Madden 2005.

Also, in the last year or so, I would say their review scores have been more inconsistent on more games than the rest of the mags/sources out there...In other words, they seem to be the 1% of the gaming world that will give a game a score completely different than anyone else.

Some say this competition and new vantage point is good for business, but I say they are simply in too many people's pockets. They can't be trusted...

[quote name='Wlogan31'][quote name='robdees']um... I don't think you have to worry about this game being maistreamed. To cite EGM, "Rainman. The math genius dude from a Beautiful Mind. The hardest of the hardcore who beat both FFT and FFTA. These are the people who can dig Phantom Brave....It's enough to melt your brain several times over." I've had mine reserved for months and can't wait.[/quote]

Please don't quote EGM again...I find them to be industry whores who will give good ratings to games that "should" be good or to big companies who tell them to - see EA Sports and Madden 2005.

Also, in the last year or so, I would say their review scores have been more inconsistent on more games than the rest of the mags/sources out there...In other words, they seem to be the 1% of the gaming world that will give a game a score completely different than anyone else.

Some say this competition and new vantage point is good for business, but I say they are simply in too many people's pockets. They can't be trusted...[/quote]

I find EGM to be infinitely better than the crap reviews given out by Gamepro. They are the absolute worst IMO.

I agree with Big Ben... EGM has never steered me wrong. Asking one to not site from what is considered a credible source is foolish and slanted thinking. Personal views do not a bad magazine make. Also, try reading this month's editorial if you believe EGM is in people's pockets. The Madden reference is way off center too. With an average review score of 93.3 from Gamerankings and an average of 91 from EGM they're actually a little lower.

I tend to believe EGM's reviews.. although they don't really drop the scores too low very often.. even crap gets in the mid 5s. I usually stick with Game Informer though.. it never steers me wrong.

And as far as EGM's review of it (which I just read a bit ago).. I dearly hope its as deep as they make it out to be. But tactical RPGS do tend to get reviewed that way (many many people find even the simple ones to be exceedingly tough, i.e. FM4, FF:TA). I love a huge, detailed, insanely deep, and hugely mental SRPG.. unfortunately they tend to be few and far between as they obviously wont make huge money.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='tdphillips']You can preorder the game now, I've got it preordered at Gamestop. They give you a cheesy artbook with your preorder. You can also order a "limited edition" that has special artwork on the cover and a soundtrack CD.

The loss of the grid is my biggest worry about this game. I worry they're going to go away from the hardcore strategy/tactical side and move towards a more mainstream (read: easier) strategy RPG. And I agree, it's not a sequel in the least.. just another strategy RPG from Atlus.[/quote]

It is supposed to be more in depth and hardcore than Disgaea and is definitely more in depth than La Pucelle.

yup! get your pre-orders in. If all goes well u can sell the limited edition version for a profit.

Ima pre order it once I get my paycheck, unfortunately I will never get the chance to play this since I am currently working on La Pucelle rite now, and Disgaea is next on the list.

still, this game will prbably make me cry. It will own my life like no other...

Why does Nippon Ichi insist on calling every game they make a sequel? They don't follow a storyline really. Well i guess they call it a "spritial" sequel, which is pretty lame too. I don't even get how it can be a "spiritual" sequel if it has a new battle system and all.

Nippon and Square-Enix are together remaking the Strategy RPG genre with awesome games.

Also I loved the battle system in Arc the Lad, can't wait for Phantom Brave

Finally, this may seem like a slightly newbie question, but where can I download the newest EGM? I'm really curious as to what the said about the latest Dynasty Warriors game.

[quote name='WildWop'][quote name='tdphillips']You can preorder the game now, I've got it preordered at Gamestop. They give you a cheesy artbook with your preorder. You can also order a "limited edition" that has special artwork on the cover and a soundtrack CD.

By any chance, have you played Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits?[/quote]

No, but I bought it last week from ebay, so that will be an upcoming play for me.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Why does Nippon Ichi insist on calling every game they make a sequel? They don't follow a storyline really. Well i guess they call it a "spritial" sequel, which is pretty lame too. I don't even get how it can be a "spiritual" sequel if it has a new battle system and all.[/quote]

I know that's it's not a sequal in the classic sense of the word, but characters from Digaea apparently show up in it.

[quote name='bob_the_goon'][quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Why does Nippon Ichi insist on calling every game they make a sequel? They don't follow a storyline really. Well i guess they call it a "spritial" sequel, which is pretty lame too. I don't even get how it can be a "spiritual" sequel if it has a new battle system and all.[/quote]

I know that's it's not a sequal in the classic sense of the word, but characters from Digaea apparently show up in it.[/quote]

I did not know that, but still it doesn't mean much in saying it's a sequel. I don't see Square calling Kingdom Hearts a sequel of Final Fantasy or Viewtiful Joe on the PS2 a sequel to Devil May Cry. Still a nice suprise though I suppose.

[quote name='tdphillips'][quote name='WildWop'][quote name='tdphillips']You can preorder the game now, I've got it preordered at Gamestop. They give you a cheesy artbook with your preorder. You can also order a "limited edition" that has special artwork on the cover and a soundtrack CD.

By any chance, have you played Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits?[/quote]

No, but I bought it last week from ebay, so that will be an upcoming play for me.[/quote]

Well that's how the Arc the Lad battle system works. I'm sure Phantom Brave has a lot more depth, but the circle thing is certainly nothing new if an Arc the Lad game had it over a year ago.

That said, I like that style a lot. Good stuff.

Actually, Rhapsody, Disgaea, La Pucelle, and Phantom Brave and 3 other JPN games are all part of the Marl's Kingdom Series of games. Rhapsody was the 1st and actually had a sequel and a spin off, some of the characters from La Pucelle are related directly to the Characters in Rhapsody. Also all the games take place on the same world as well.

[quote name='Sartori']I find print magazines to be useless and outdated.

So there.[/quote]

ditto, i liked nintendo power about 15 years ago, but those days are long gone. I also liked next generation, but that mag left years ago. just get your info online now.

[quote name='captaincold']Just downloaded the new EGM & they reviewed Phantom Brave, which apparently is the sequel to La Pucelle & Disgaea.
I'd never even heard of this game until now.

Each reviewer gave it a 8.5
"a strategy-rpg to end all strategy-rpg's"[/quote]

Where do you download EGM from? I have a subscription but maybe I overlooked something.

If you're uber-hardcore and have like 100s of hours to waste on each game (La Pucelle, Disgaea, and Phantom Brave) then you can find tidbit connections here and there between the games.

Kinda like how Cloud and Aerith showed up in Final Fantasy Tactics if you went through that tedious sequence of events just right. Are these games sequels of one another... MAYBE in the sense that they all take place in the same "universe". In La Pucelle you can venture into the Dark World (no, that's not any sort of spoiler) and Disgaea takes place in the Dark World. There are some other little constants like the Rosenqueen Shop, which has a real outlet in the Messe Sanoh building in Akihabara Japan, come visit today! (They advertise themselves in La Pucelle, hilarious!)

In any case, I'd like some sort of deal on this game. I tried getting hooked up with the $39.99 deal at Fry's via Outpost.com, but they cancelled my order and I only heard of a few people getting it even from B&M.

-EDIT-
Apparently the bottom portion of this post should go in a different section, my bad.

bread's done
Back