SERO - The formerly best cell phone plan (still good deal if you want a Blackberry).

djkunai

Banned
I just got sick of always seeing people asking about what the best cell phone plan is. Hands down, the best rates you could possibly find is SERO (however, coverage is YMMV).

SERO stands for Sprint Employee Referral Offer. Here's what you get
  • Unlimited Text Messaging
  • Unlimited Nights & Weekends starting at 7pm
  • Domestic long distance
  • Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
  • Unlimited Web/Data Access
  • Unlimited Picture Mail (with compatible devices)
500 anytime minutes for $30 / month

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my Q today. It took about an hour for activation and updating it's now working perfectly. I'm still getting used to it all. It's sweet as hell, Sprint also confirmed the unlimited Data for my plan even though the statement says otherwise. I've been all over the net and put some movies/music on it. It's an awesome phone plus I am able to play my old NES games on it. Best of all only $29.99

I think this was posted earlier, but just to remind people, since I JUST saw this. :bomb:

You can still enjoy great savings at a private Sprint Store.
Just use promotional code SAVE50 during checkout to receive
a $50 invoice credit with each new activation.*

*Offer requires new activation and a two-year subscriber agreement.
Service credit is available online only. Credit will appear within 1-3 invoices.

I was trying to find out if my university (where I will be working in the fall! :D ) still has a 15% discount. Sprint didn't recognize my work email, and brought this discount code up. Now I'm angry. At least I got a $25 credit by referring through one of my friends...

Probably a dumb question but:
If I port my number over to a SERO plan from my current cell phone (and cancel that service), how do I do that without losing a cell phone for a couple days while I wait on my Sprint phone to ship/arrive?

They want a fuckin $150 security deposit per fuckin phone. :bomb:
I don't mind 1 $150, but the fact that they want TWO of them is really annoying.

Is there ANYWAY around that? Sprintfinanceguy? :lol:

[quote name='uncbaseballfreak']Probably a dumb question but:
If I port my number over to a SERO plan from my current cell phone (and cancel that service), how do I do that without losing a cell phone for a couple days while I wait on my Sprint phone to ship/arrive?[/quote]

Get a cheapass Tracphone or other Pay-as-you-go phone, port your current number to it, then port the number from PAYGO phone to SERO

FYI:

target has a Tracphone model on clearance for $10 right now

I typed this from my new phone! :D

Although I can't access the deals forum without getting logged out...

EDIT: And after this message I was able to. ?!?!?

[quote name='uncbaseballfreak']Probably a dumb question but:
If I port my number over to a SERO plan from my current cell phone (and cancel that service), how do I do that without losing a cell phone for a couple days while I wait on my Sprint phone to ship/arrive?[/quote]
Don't cancel your old service until you get the new phone. Your number won't be switched to the new service until you physically have the phone and you activate it.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure you have to be 18 to get a contract, right? I'm only 17, do you think I can just lie about my age, or will they catch it?

EDIT2: Holy shit this is a good deal. Now that I see you get free shipping and activation, it makes it so much more awesome. Sprint = #1

Yeah, must keep your number, then have a number transfer done... then get rid of the old phone.

Now I'm debating on getting a rumor or the Q.
I'm actually intending on using it as an mp3 player as well, because I'd rather carry around two mini-SD cards for 8 gigs than carry around a separate mp3 player.

So, I'm trying to figure out which phone. Any suggestion on which would serve as a better mp3/video player? From the list of available phones which would cost me less than 199.99?

I would switch over from Verizon since Im moving to LA this summer and verizon is expensive, but my contract ends next March. Hopefully I can do this then.

[quote name='dyeknom']Yeah, must keep your number, then have a number transfer done... then get rid of the old phone.

Now I'm debating on getting a rumor or the Q.
I'm actually intending on using it as an mp3 player as well, because I'd rather carry around two mini-SD cards for 8 gigs than carry around a separate mp3 player.

So, I'm trying to figure out which phone. Any suggestion on which would serve as a better mp3/video player? From the list of available phones which would cost me less than 199.99?[/quote]

The Q is the way to go it also plays back video. Problem is the top has a headphone jack but for the life of me I can't get the rubber thing that covers it to come off and even tried to get under it with a knife. I'm guessing there really isnt one their.

[quote name='spinksjinx']The Q is the way to go it also plays back video. Problem is the top has a headphone jack but for the life of me I can't get the rubber thing that covers it to come off and even tried to get under it with a knife. I'm guessing there really isnt one their.[/quote]

That's what I was leaning towards. That, and I'd love to play some CT and FF6 on my phone :)

Unfortunately, I can't get the SAVE50 to work... oh well :) I'm happy with this. Gets me out of my 64$ month-to-month with 1000 txts, no data and 450 mins.

By the way, the unlimited texts are only valid until 5/31/08. Im not sure if that means after 5/31 they will be charged... or that after 5/31 that the plan for free txt messages is just not an option for new customers.

[email protected] worked for me as a referring number.

[quote name='dyeknom']That's what I was leaning towards. That, and I'd love to play some CT and FF6 on my phone :)

Unfortunately, I can't get the SAVE50 to work... oh well :) I'm happy with this. Gets me out of my 64$ month-to-month with 1000 txts, no data and 450 mins.

By the way, the unlimited texts are only valid until 5/31/08. Im not sure if that means after 5/31 they will be charged... or that after 5/31 that the plan for free txt messages is just not an option for new customers.

[email protected] worked for me as a referring number.[/QUOTE]

You could always use my Sprint number for a referral bonus. :D

I went with a Palm Centro and don't regret it one bit, even if the Palm OS software is dated. I don't care about games on a phone one bit, I can use it as an mp3 player and keep my Zune solely for car/office, and the internet/email stuff is just bomb compared to the crap phones I've had for the last 4 years.

Haha, nah. I used my first cell phone as the referral bonus. I just have to cancel it next week before my billing cycle is up. I hate sprint CS, though.

[quote name='dyeknom']That's what I was leaning towards. That, and I'd love to play some CT and FF6 on my phone :)

[email protected] worked for me as a referring number.[/quote]

Yeah go with the Q you can do music/movies/games..It's the total package. I went with the $29.99 version not the $150 dollar version of the Q. So I don't know what one you are looking at. I got the supposed "stripped down" model and it does everything I want it to and then some.

The texting plan is for members who sign up until then. Anyone afterwards wont get the deal.

Also I called Sprint today and they said with the Sero plan that their are no roaming charges as long as you still have your initial 500 or 1250 minutes left. :applause:

For those of you looking to get out of your contracts (like me. . .11 months. . .ugh. . ), check out celltradeusa.com. Basically, it looks like it's a site that connects people who are looking to transfer their contracts to someone else. If someone decides to take your contract, it's $19.99 for a membership. Sure beats the $200 per line I'd be looking at.

I've put a listing up to see if anyone bites. I'll let you know how it goes. . .

and those that have Verizon have a 60 day window as of May 1st to get out of their contract without paying a ETF due to their rate increase.

So.. as nice as the price is on this cell phone plan... Sprint customer service is one of the worst... ever.

I originally wanted to keep my old number (also a sprint number) with the new SERO plan. The person I talked to said for me to keep both lines open, then call on the new phone to get it transferred. So I called back today and low-and-behold I'm transfered around to about 3 places.... none of whom really speak English. Not to mention the half-stoned lady two days ago who resigned a 2 yr contract under the old account for no reason, and just added a load of crap despite me telling her something completely different which caused dozens of problems today when people kept telling me I was already in a contract. Finally, I get an English-speaking representative who tells me that I cannot switch numbers across accounts as previously stated. Anyway, the new rep then said... I don't know why you would even sign up a new account. I explained what the last rep told me about the SERO plan, needing to do it online and what the other reps told me.

So she said that we are just going to use the 30 day return on the new account, and simply add a SERO plan to my old number, and then overnight another phone to me (which means I'll get it on Monday). She then is having me return my new account's phone to them (despite it being the exact same, when I could have just activated that phone to the old number).

So, I ask what exactly I'm being charged... Well the new phone was already charged to me, so I'll get a refund when that phone is returned. The old account is getting a new phone shipped and the account is being billed for the 129.99 (which will probably dick me out of the mail in rebate).

It would have been easier keeping the new number, but I really needed that old one.
Sprint customer service is some of the worst I've ever dealt with. Hands down.

So I signed up for the SERO plan and should be receiving the phone sometime next week, but now I'm thinking about choosing a different phone instead. Could I bring the unactivated phone to a Sprint store and exchange it for something else and pay the difference?

[quote name='prot0type']So I signed up for the SERO plan and should be receiving the phone sometime next week, but now I'm thinking about choosing a different phone instead. Could I bring the unactivated phone to a Sprint store and exchange it for something else and pay the difference?[/quote]

just call CSR when you get the phone. They'll email you a receipt to print out and then you can do a instore exchange.

The Instinct is coming soon and I think I'm gonna get sucked into getting it. I don't like Sprint's coverage here but, I guess this phone might be more important. My plan is up I believe in Dec.

Earlier in this thread someone had said for me to get a pay as you go phone and then get SERO. (sorry forgot who it was)

Anyway, I'd rather call up Sprint and see if I can bully my way into this deal? Do you think it would work? I only want three things.

-The Instinct
-SERO
-$150 upgrade discount (I think it's that much)

If I can't I'll probably go to Verizon.

Is it possible to sign up for the $49.99 plan and then change your mind and want to switch to the $30 plan? I'm not even talking on mine it's a complete waste.

Few questions that i hope get answered
1. How is the sprint coverage in ny, for nyc people only?
2. How is the q9c phone, is tv free?
3. Is the 7 dollar each month extra for insurance a worthwhile invested.
4. are there any discounts that are valid?
Thanks everyone, dont feel like reading 100 pages or more of forums on fatwallet.

1, http://coverage.sprintpcs.com/IMPACT.jsp?nobrand map of sprint coverage
2, sprint tv service has limited channels that are free.
3, I have the $7 insurance and believe its worth it. I didn't have insurance on my Env and regretted it when it fell into a trash bag filled with spilled coffee. Also when you only pay $30 a month, bringing ur bill (before taxes) to $37 is still a great deal
4. I used the Urang code and got $50 credit to my new account. Also people say the cod 50back works as well ($25 off for 2 months), or you can try DIC50

Any opinions on the Touch?

I originally went with the Centro, since I prefer using a qwerty pad, but since the Touch has wi-fi it tends to appeal to me more. I'm going to a Sprint store later today to do a side by side and will ask there, but anyone here know if the Touch can be in landscape mode for typing/texting?

*Went to the store and tried out the Touch, I like it a lot. Also, found out it doesn't have wi-fi as i had originally thought. Additionally, while I was there I was given an Instinct promo package(brochure, book and pen). Looks to be a nifty phone, but I'll probably wait for reviews first.

Love the plan, like the phones, hate the provider. My contract just ran out on our family plan with T-Mobile. If my wife and I got individual SERO plans we'd end up paying the same total as we do now.

urang code doesnt work for me? Any ideas? Im a new customer. Getting a Q 9c and the plan doesn't say unlimited picture mailer thing? Any thoughts. Thanks!

did u try calling? none of the codes work when you sign up to purchase the phones. I believe you have to call CSR to get codes implemented into your account. The picture Mailer thing is considered data i believe. which you have unlimited for free.

damn, actually works out to be more than the family plan I now have with T-Mobile. Too bad there isn't a family plan deal through this.

Ok so I have a question, sorry if it's already been answered.

I'm looking to get a Blackberry Pearl and I've heard I can access web/email using third party clients as opposed to having to pay $39 for the blackberry plan. Also, I doubt this is true but I heard blackberry texting runs seperately from the unlimited texting provided by the sero program so that I would end up paying for individual texts if I don't go with the BB plan. Does anyone know if any of this is true or not?

[quote name='Zmonkay']damn, actually works out to be more than the family plan I now have with T-Mobile. Too bad there isn't a family plan deal through this.[/quote]

We're still using the $49.99 family plan that comes with 400 minutes. The other day when I was asking about upgrading phones the person told me they no longer offer it. This plan works well for us since almost all of our friends and family have T-Mobile so most of our calls are free.

I'm tempted to switch to Sprint, pay $30 for each of us, get more minutes, and unlimited data & text. Right now I have a Blackberry but can only use it to browse the internet since I don't want to pay the monthly fee for the data package.
I've just heard so many horror stories from people that have dropped Sprint.

[quote name='creeeaature']Ok so I have a question, sorry if it's already been answered.

I'm looking to get a Blackberry Pearl and I've heard I can access web/email using third party clients as opposed to having to pay $39 for the blackberry plan. Also, I doubt this is true but I heard blackberry texting runs seperately from the unlimited texting provided by the sero program so that I would end up paying for individual texts if I don't go with the BB plan. Does anyone know if any of this is true or not?[/quote]

People have said that they use Opera mini/mobile without a problem. I haven't heard the texting running seperately before and I've been trolling different SERO forums for a while.

Ok. Q9C or BlackBerry Curve. A Mogul would be nice, but not for that price. Jerks.

The real deciding factor between Q9c and Curve is the Blackberry separate data thinggy. Is there a way around it? I believe someone mentioned it's their own separate text service or something that doesn't tie in with the unlimited stuff. Anyway, I know exactly jack and shit about what makes BlackBerries so damn special and why I should pay extra, so if anyone can enlighten me, it would be much appreciated. Also, the operating systems on both of them. The Q9C has the Windows Mobile 6 or whatever, and it looks pretty good. Any knowledge to be dropped on major differences? Thanks, guys.

I talked to a guy at the local Sprint Store, and HE SAID that it is possible to use a BB without the BB data pack. However, you have to manually add an Opera browser to surf the net, manually add gmail for email, and manually add googlemaps. He said that installing and manipulating these programs can be tricky for people who are not cellphone "smart". There is no way of changing the BB default programs (so for instance the BB browser will always be the default internet browser). Also he heard that the nav and push email don't work right unless you get the BB pack. Finally you can't do OTA installs without the BB data pack. So if you need to install corporate or personal programs through OTA, you are probably screwed.

His Bottom Line:
Smart with cellphones, dont need Nav, nothing corporate-> Go with BB
Stupid with cellphones, want Nav-> Go with a non BB

I'm fairly cell phone incomptent so I decided to go with the Moto Q9C despite its larger size.

This deal looks pretty amazing, I'll have to sign up for it when my AT&T contract expires in July. Hopefully the deal is the same by then. And the Instinct is looking pretty nice...

I have the treo 755p right now but, leaning towards the q9c. Are there any descent games for WM6? palm OS software scene seems to being dying, is there a healthy scene of third party apps for WM6 ? And whats the word on WM6.1 being release?

Just signed up for the 500 plan and an HTC Mogul. Thanks kunai for posting the offer. I was going to wait for the HTC Raphael, but didn't want to miss out on Unlimited Texting which supposedly the offer ends at the end of the month.

does the text service through the blackberry really cost extra? i thought it'd be included with unlimited texting.

also, does the free texting thing really expire at the end of this month?! gotta make up my mind quick!!!

The "free text" has had the expiration date pushed back at least 3 times- it's likely to be the same at the end of the current period (where the expiration date will be pushed back yet again).

[quote name='djkunai']The "free text" has had the expiration date pushed back at least 3 times- it's likely to be the same at the end of the current period (where the expiration date will be pushed back yet again).[/QUOTE]
That's good news... I won't be able to jump on this until Oct. But you can bet I will jump on it.

bread's done
Back