SERO - The formerly best cell phone plan (still good deal if you want a Blackberry).

djkunai

Banned
I just got sick of always seeing people asking about what the best cell phone plan is. Hands down, the best rates you could possibly find is SERO (however, coverage is YMMV).

SERO stands for Sprint Employee Referral Offer. Here's what you get
  • Unlimited Text Messaging
  • Unlimited Nights & Weekends starting at 7pm
  • Domestic long distance
  • Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
  • Unlimited Web/Data Access
  • Unlimited Picture Mail (with compatible devices)
500 anytime minutes for $30 / month

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ducci']What's the procedure for getting this but keeping your existing phone number? Can it be done online or what? Thanks.[/quote]

The Op should put a guide for this in the first post, think I've answered this several times before.

Don't cancel your current plan yet. First order your plan and phone from sprint.
When you receive your phone and call to activate it, tell the CSR you need to port your old number to the new phone. Just make sure you have an old bill from your old account as they will need some info. Once that is done they will tell you "ok the port will take 24-72 hours" and you wait. You will get a text message saying the port was successful once its been done.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Oh, so existing Sprint customers CAN get this plan?[/quote]

no, you'd have to get a gophone (by as you go phones) and then go to sero.

Got my first bill today.. for whatever reason they decided to send me two identical copies... $36.69 after taxes and crap. I love this phone plan.

[quote name='BustaUppa']thanks, I'll definitely want to use that one.

Heh, this alarm thing is the ONE area that seemed to be better when I was with Verizon. Of course I had to hack the filesystem to do it, but I was able to add an mp3 ringtone, then set an alarm to recur every weekday and use the mp3 ringtone as the alarm.

Palm has much better POTENTIAL when it comes to alarms but it looks like you have to pay up to maximize that potential. Looks like there's plenty of free options but I'll probably have to settle for default alarm sounds. Good to know I can get the ringtones all hooked up though![/QUOTE]

The alarm has the ability to repeat itself. It's actually quite customizable. I have mine set to ring at 5:30 every weekday from the time I started school till the time I finished. You can even set it to not go off on holidays. You just have to get used to it. After that, it's a breeze.

damn, just figured out that the Centro doesn't work with my pricey bluetooth headset (Motorola S9). So do I just call regular Sprint service to switch phones? Or is there some secret hotline for SERO users? And is it really FREE to switch (well, I assume they charge you the price difference in phones, if there is any, but I mean other than that)?

[quote name='BustaUppa']damn, just figured out that the Centro doesn't work with my pricey bluetooth headset (Motorola S9). So do I just call regular Sprint service to switch phones? Or is there some secret hotline for SERO users? And is it really FREE to switch (well, I assume they charge you the price difference in phones, if there is any, but I mean other than that)?[/quote]

If your really going to switch I advise you to have the sprint email address you used handy (or at least get anyone) When I did this I basically had to go through the process 2 times, 1 with the Indian's and then at the end she transfered me to an american and did the whole process again (thats who asked me about the email address)

The process is free, they ship the second phone next day just like the one you first received. When you get the phone you mail out your old phone with a UPS prepaid mailing address label that Sprint emails to you. And yes you pay the difference or get credit.

[quote name='homeland']If your really going to switch I advise you to have the sprint email address you used handy (or at least get anyone) When I did this I basically had to go through the process 2 times, 1 with the Indian's and then at the end she transfered me to an american and did the whole process again (thats who asked me about the email address)

The process is free, they ship the second phone next day just like the one you first received. When you get the phone you mail out your old phone with a UPS prepaid mailing address label that Sprint emails to you. And yes you pay the difference or get credit.[/QUOTE]ah ok cool. I used that sample email address but you said it's better to locate a real Sprint addy and use that one right?

I was really digging this phone too. :whistle2:( but after plunking $100 on headphones less than a year ago I really wanna be able to use them to their fullest.

$100! damn. The guy wouldn't accept the [email protected] The feeling I got was basically you were signing up for Sero all over again. Wouldn't it be wiser to just sell the headphone on ebay and buy another one then get another phone that you might not like?

[quote name='homeland']$100! damn. The guy wouldn't accept the [email protected] The feeling I got was basically you were signing up for Sero all over again. Wouldn't it be wiser to just sell the headphone on ebay and buy another one then get another phone that you might not like?[/QUOTE]hmm, it does seem like a hassle I would rather avoid. Maybe I could sell all my old stuff as a bundle. Orange enV w/charger + data transfer kit + Motorola S9 headhpones all for $150-$200 perhaps? Heck I could always try putting them up for sale on CAG and seeing what happens.

[quote name='BustaUppa']hmm, it does seem like a hassle I would rather avoid. Maybe I could sell all my old stuff as a bundle. Orange enV w/charger + data transfer kit + Motorola S9 headhpones all for $150-$200 perhaps? Heck I could always try putting them up for sale on CAG and seeing what happens.[/quote]

Definetly get rid of the phone. My wife sold her old verizon samsung phone (the one that flips both ways) on ebay and got over $100.

My only inhibition is that sprint has no killer app phones. The closest worthwhile phone is the Instinct which of course can't be used with sero. If sprint had a good phone, or a hacked iphone worked on sprint, i'd be all over SERO

[quote name='seththefallen']My only inhibition is that sprint has no killer app phones. The closest worthwhile phone is the Instinct which of course can't be used with sero. If sprint had a good phone, or a hacked iphone worked on sprint, i'd be all over SERO[/quote]

I guess if your definition of "killer app phone" is the Iphone clone, then ya. But both the palmOS and windows mobil based phones have a large catelog of 3rd party apps that allow you to customize your phone to your hearts desire. Heck you can get a Palm phone with the same interface as the Iphone using Iphone Immitator.

Damn, I think I've narrowed the phone I want down to two: Motorola Razr V3c, and the
Katana DLX.

I just can't decide which to get. Reviews are basically identical... Anybody here have any experience with these phones? If so, thoughts?

[quote name='homeland']I guess if your definition of "killer app phone" is the Iphone clone, then ya. But both the palmOS and windows mobil based phones have a large catelog of 3rd party apps that allow you to customize your phone to your hearts desire. Heck you can get a Palm phone with the same interface as the Iphone using Iphone Immitator.[/quote]

LOL. I owned a Windows Mobile phone, HTC Excalibur. It was the worst phone experience I've ever had. Windows Mobile is slow, you have to constantly use the task manager to close applications because it lets everything run in the background eating up the RAM.

[quote name='Malice']Damn, I think I've narrowed the phone I want down to two: Motorola Razr V3c, and the
Katana DLX.

I just can't decide which to get. Reviews are basically identical... Anybody here have any experience with these phones? If so, thoughts?[/QUOTE]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Why would anybody WANT a RAZR? Those phones suck monkey ass. The only reason you see so many of them is because they're free.

The Katana sucks too. It's just like a RAZR only without the sleek style.

Between those two, I'd have to go with the RAZR. But personally, I'd try to find another phone.

[quote name='Malice']Motorola Razr V3c, and the Katana DLX. If so, thoughts?[/quote]

If I had my choice between a Razr or a Katana I think I'd rather slit my wrist with an actual Katana instead.

My wife ended up picking the Palm Centro as her device although I was rooting for her to get the HTC touch (because I'm a big nerd and love how functional it is). She couldn't be happier. If you're still still on the fence Malice, just go to a Sprint store and spend some time playing with each device.

[quote name='seththefallen']LOL. I owned a Windows Mobile phone, HTC Excalibur. It was the worst phone experience I've ever had. Windows Mobile is slow, you have to constantly use the task manager to close applications because it lets everything run in the background eating up the RAM.[/quote]

Well I've only had my windows mobile phone for 2 days and already loving it. Is it as fast as the PalmOS? No. But thats ok, I've already done more tweaking with my phone than the palm I had for almost 30 days. To each his own I guess, I found the wm 6.1 phone to better fit my needs.

[quote name='Malice']Damn, I think I've narrowed the phone I want down to two: Motorola Razr V3c, and the
Katana DLX.

I just can't decide which to get. Reviews are basically identical... Anybody here have any experience with these phones? If so, thoughts?[/quote]

Im going to have to agree with others. If your getting this plan, getting these phones seems like you won't be using what you pay for to its full potential. I know you don't like the keyboard look, but have you tried it before? texting with a qwerty keyboard feels like such a jump over T9 and regular typing on a cellphone.

Katana DLX.

I just can't decide which to get. Reviews are basically identical... Anybody here have any experience with these phones? If so, thoughts?[/QUOTE]

DO NOT GET A RAZR! I am on my 5th one since july of 06 and this one is messed up too. The only reason I haven't sent it in is because Im switching to this sprint plan.

So I called the referral number, referred a few cags from this thread and for some of the numbers, the automated message I got said something along the lines of "the number you just dialed is a duplicate number that is currently being processed". Not sure how this is possible since it's the first time I referred it.

Any ideas? Is it possible the referral is only eligible to be referred x amount of times?

Also, I have some friends who are ready to jump on this plan, one of which though is really interested in the Instinct. Anyone know if it will be available immediately on the SERO site next week?

Haven't heard to many good things about the instinct coming to Sero.

I don't understand your problem with the referrals. Are you checking to see the status of those that you have referred? If so you do not need to put in their number, they just had to enter yours.

Did you check the site that shows you the status of your referrals? http://www.myecount.com/sprintstatus/

just enter your number and it will tell you the status of those that you have referred.

Keep in mind I'm a new Sprint customer and yep, checked the status site and some numbers were approved while others are still pending. I'm talking about when I dial #733 from my phone, follow the prompts and entering the number of the referral then receiving the message from my previous post.

Okay, okay!

Maybe I'll try out one of the keyboard phones. It couldn't hurt, right? I do have 30 days to return them for a different phone...

Currently I'm looking at the Palm Centro and the BlackBerry Pearl. Any others I should check out?

[quote name='Malice']Okay, okay!

Maybe I'll try out one of the keyboard phones. It couldn't hurt, right? I do have 30 days to return them for a different phone...

Currently I'm looking at the Palm Centro and the BlackBerry Pearl. Any others I should check out?[/quote]

lol, isn't peer pressure great? Seriously though, you have the right idea use that unlimited data to the max! With the Blackberry Pearl, unless you want to do some extra work to get a 3rd party web browser I would steer clear from blackberry's. You are suppose to pay $30 a month extra with blackberry's for their data plan (which you don't need as you already have unlimited data) so you'd have to get a 3rd party browser on the phone like opera. Just seems like to much hassle. The Centro is great, my wife has it and is very nice. Takes just a few days to get use to the small keyboard but once you get use to it you'll be fine.

Okay, quick question: I have selected my phone. It requires a mail in rebate to bring it down to $99 total. Problem is, on the rebate form, it says offer ends 6/14/08. So does that mean the rebate is over? or does it end AFTER today? Here's the rebate form:

http://www.nextel.com/assets/pdfs/en/promotions/mir_061408.pdf

If someone could answer this question QUICKLY I'd appreciate it. I emailed Sprint about it. but after hearing about their CS, I doubt I'll get an email back today.

Means today is the last day for you to make the purchase and qualify for the rebate. After which you have until the 28th to mail the form.

There will be a one-time $150.00 refundable deposit added to your total due today.This will be refunded to you as an invoice credit after you have been a Sprint customer for one year.
So basically I'm forced to deposit $150 and then in one year I will get it back as invoice credit not cash? =/ Does this happen to everyone

I'm going to wait until the fall/winter. The first Android headsets are supposed to be due out and the HTC Raphael is due in Sept on Sprint so might be worth the wait for me.

[quote name='seththefallen']My only inhibition is that sprint has no killer app phones. The closest worthwhile phone is the Instinct which of course can't be used with sero. If sprint had a good phone, or a hacked iphone worked on sprint, i'd be all over SERO[/QUOTE]

Is the HTC MOGUL 6800 bad?Cause it seems like a great phone.....

[quote name='hcamacho']Is the HTC MOGUL 6800 bad?Cause it seems like a great phone.....[/quote]

You have the Q now right? While the Q is a shitty phone, the Mogul has the WM operating system as well. At this time I don't think it has GPS unlocked. I've heard its kind of slow as well. If you get the mogul do post your thoughts curious what you think of it. at $250 or $300 forget how much it is, it better be good.

[quote name='homeland']You have the Q now right? While the Q is a shitty phone, the Mogul has the WM operating system as well. At this time I don't think it has GPS unlocked. I've heard its kind of slow as well. If you get the mogul do post your thoughts curious what you think of it. at $250 or $300 forget how much it is, it better be good.[/QUOTE]

As of right now, the Q is not as good as I hoped it would be, have a lot of crashes, slows than a lot, not what I was expecting, changing it for a mogul next week, will keep u informed.And the battery life of the Q is trash, drains so fast, it not even worth it....

[quote name='Dro']So basically I'm forced to deposit $150 and then in one year I will get it back as invoice credit not cash? =/ Does this happen to everyone[/quote]

They do this in case you don't pay your bill, then they can just take your deposit. You have a spending limit on your account of $150. Your bill can't go any higher than that. And while they don't give you cash back, just think of it this way: in one year, you'll go 4 months without needing to pay a phone bill. :D

[quote name='Access_Denied']They do this in case you don't pay your bill, then they can just take your deposit. You have a spending limit on your account of $150. Your bill can't go any higher than that. And while they don't give you cash back, just think of it this way: in one year, you'll go 4 months without needing to pay a phone bill. :D[/quote]

You know whats weird I tried again today, and I'm approved wtf.

[quote name='hcamacho']As of right now, the Q is not as good as I hoped it would be, have a lot of crashes, slows than a lot, not what I was expecting, changing it for a mogul next week, will keep u informed.And the battery life of the Q is trash, drains so fast, it not even worth it....[/QUOTE]

if u like the Q look, check out the Q replacement the Q9c. typing this message from mine as we speak. it fixed alot of the problems the Q had. the Q is considered a p.o.s phone.

I just switched to SERO from AT&T the last day of May. Everything bad you have heard about Sprint Customer Service is true, but I guess you get what you pay for. Anyways here was my experience if you are interested:

None of the coupon codes worked during checkout, but I emailed Ecare after I received my phone and they manually added SAVE50 without much fuss. It took less than 2 days from the time I placed my order to receive my phone. However it took 5 days for Sprint to actually port my number over from AT&T. I probably wasted 4 hours total on the phone with inept Sprint Customer Service reps, and nobody was very helpful with the porting issue. Everyday it was "Check back tomorrow". They did give me a temporary number, but it was a hassle carrying around 2 phones. Also Sprint did not honor my student discount right away. So I emailed ecare again, told them that I wanted a student discount, and told them that porting was taking way too long. A day later I got an email saying that I would get $10 off per month for the first 13 months. Initially none of the SprintTV channels worked, but after 2 weeks I finally receiving NFL network. CNN, Weather Channel, etc still do not work, but I read somewhere that Sprint is no longer offering those channels for free to SERO customers. Coverage is not as good as AT&T (I'm in LA), but I usually don't have problems unless I wander off to rural areas. I also got an email from Sprint in 10 days saying that they received my rebate form and that it is being processed.

I bought the Moto q9c. The Centro keyboard was too small, the Treo and Ace were $50 more. The BB's have better design (smaller but comfortable keyboards), but I just didn't want to deal with the Blackberry without the BB data pack. Overall I would say the phone is good not great. GPS (with Live Search) and keyboard are nice. Battery life is good for a smartphone due to the extended battery that you get with it. Unfortunately the phone response time does get slow at times. I am not sure if it is due to WM6 or the phone itself, but a quick reboot usually fixes things. Some people have complained about dust getting under the screen, so I bought a full body invisible shield for protection. Picture mail does not work out of the box (I think this a common Sprint thing), but there is a website that shows you how to enable it for free. Unfortunately this picture mail hack expires every 30 days.

Anyways in summary, the Sprint network coverage is good but not great. Be careful if you are not in a major city. Also customer service can be a nightmare, but emailing Ecare leads to quick results. In the end, I am paying $20/month for 500 min, free data, free text, and 7pm nights so what right do I have to complain?

[quote name='homeland']You have the Q now right? While the Q is a shitty phone, the Mogul has the WM operating system as well. At this time I don't think it has GPS unlocked. I've heard its kind of slow as well. If you get the mogul do post your thoughts curious what you think of it. at $250 or $300 forget how much it is, it better be good.[/QUOTE]

I'm using the Mogul now and love it. I'm not sure what to be looking for as far as speed is concerned, but everything seems to run seemlessly including Slingplayer Mobile, so I can watch my full Home Cable TV service from anywhere on my phone. With the latest Firmware GPS has been unlocked so Google Maps works flawlessly. Let me know if you have any questions about this phone and I'll try to answer them for you as best as possible.

Just placed my order, does everyone who is new get free overnight? How long will it take for them to ship?

[quote name='FFMooglestar']I'm using the Mogul now and love it. I'm not sure what to be looking for as far as speed is concerned, but everything seems to run seemlessly including Slingplayer Mobile, so I can watch my full Home Cable TV service from anywhere on my phone. With the latest Firmware GPS has been unlocked so Google Maps works flawlessly. Let me know if you have any questions about this phone and I'll try to answer them for you as best as possible.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, I will contact u , if I have any questions.....!

[quote name='thecurrybot5000']I just switched to SERO from AT&T the last day of May. Everything bad you have heard about Sprint Customer Service is true, but I guess you get what you pay for. Anyways here was my experience if you are interested:

None of the coupon codes worked during checkout, but I emailed Ecare after I received my phone and they manually added SAVE50 without much fuss. It took less than 2 days from the time I placed my order to receive my phone. However it took 5 days for Sprint to actually port my number over from AT&T. I probably wasted 4 hours total on the phone with inept Sprint Customer Service reps, and nobody was very helpful with the porting issue. Everyday it was "Check back tomorrow". They did give me a temporary number, but it was a hassle carrying around 2 phones. Also Sprint did not honor my student discount right away. So I emailed ecare again, told them that I wanted a student discount, and told them that porting was taking way too long. A day later I got an email saying that I would get $10 off per month for the first 13 months. Initially none of the SprintTV channels worked, but after 2 weeks I finally receiving NFL network. CNN, Weather Channel, etc still do not work, but I read somewhere that Sprint is no longer offering those channels for free to SERO customers. Coverage is not as good as AT&T (I'm in LA), but I usually don't have problems unless I wander off to rural areas. I also got an email from Sprint in 10 days saying that they received my rebate form and that it is being processed.

I bought the Moto q9c. The Centro keyboard was too small, the Treo and Ace were $50 more. The BB's have better design (smaller but comfortable keyboards), but I just didn't want to deal with the Blackberry without the BB data pack. Overall I would say the phone is good not great. GPS (with Live Search) and keyboard are nice. Battery life is good for a smartphone due to the extended battery that you get with it. Unfortunately the phone response time does get slow at times. I am not sure if it is due to WM6 or the phone itself, but a quick reboot usually fixes things. Some people have complained about dust getting under the screen, so I bought a full body invisible shield for protection. Picture mail does not work out of the box (I think this a common Sprint thing), but there is a website that shows you how to enable it for free. Unfortunately this picture mail hack expires every 30 days.

Anyways in summary, the Sprint network coverage is good but not great. Be careful if you are not in a major city. Also customer service can be a nightmare, but emailing Ecare leads to quick results. In the end, I am paying $20/month for 500 min, free data, free text, and 7pm nights so what right do I have to complain?[/QUOTE]

20$ monthly, how?

those that have wm based phones, what do u think of portable IE? i found it to be a complete p.o.s. Im using mini opera now and totally loving it. really nice software, I highly suggest checking it out as an alternative to PIE. Also has anyone put games on there phone? wierd there's no mobile gaming thread on CAG.

posted from my Q9C

[quote name='homeland']those that have wm based phones, what do u think of portable IE? i found it to be a complete p.o.s. Im using mini opera now and totally loving it. really nice software, I highly suggest checking it out as an alternative to PIE. Also has anyone put games on there phone? wierd there's no mobile gaming thread on CAG.

posted from my Q9C[/QUOTE]I've dabbled in games, mainly emulators so far. I got Little John, SummVM, and Reminiscence (emulator for the PC game "Flashback") on the Centro. Agreed, there should be a thread! I'm curious as to what freeware stuff is out there... a CAG thread would help sort through the crap!

ugh it says

Additional Information

Additional information required to complete your online purchase.

Sprint Nextel Employee Business Email:

in the email, do i have to have a sprint employee email? Also they've been calling me early in the morning leaving a voice mail saying they need additional information to complete the order. (I was at work at the time and couldn't answer).

bread's done
Back