SERO - The formerly best cell phone plan (still good deal if you want a Blackberry).

djkunai

Banned
I just got sick of always seeing people asking about what the best cell phone plan is. Hands down, the best rates you could possibly find is SERO (however, coverage is YMMV).

SERO stands for Sprint Employee Referral Offer. Here's what you get
  • Unlimited Text Messaging
  • Unlimited Nights & Weekends starting at 7pm
  • Domestic long distance
  • Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
  • Unlimited Web/Data Access
  • Unlimited Picture Mail (with compatible devices)
500 anytime minutes for $30 / month

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dro']All my orders keep getting canceled because they think I'm using a fake social security # they tell me to go instore to confirm it. Problem is I can't get Sero in store. Anyone want to help me out =/[/QUOTE]

Then u must be using a fake number...check, be sure.

I'm using a legit one, I even went to a corporate store with my social security card but they still declined me for Sero since I can't get it instore. (They offer me regular accounts). I don't know what to do. I want Sero =[

So, I just got the Rumor. I didn't have to call Sprint or anything. I just went into the store and switched phones. They didn't even give me the mail-in rebate, they just took $50 off, so it only cost me $50 to get it. fuck all you naysayers, so far, I'm loving Sprint.

[quote name='urzishra14']is the Q9 still available?.. heh.. i heard such good reviews of it here that was the one i was targeting[/QUOTE]

The q9, I have it like 3 weeks, and I am going to change it for the Mogul HTC 6800.

[quote name='urzishra14']is the Q9 still available?.. heh.. i heard such good reviews of it here that was the one i was targeting[/quote]

I have the Q9c and love it. Thing is amazing. I can even listen to my Sirius satellite radio on it. Whatever phone you get you have 30 days to switch, so if you're stuck between 2 phones just get the one your leaning towards and if it doesn't work out, switch. I started out with the Palm 755p and moved to the q9c.

[quote name='Access_Denied']So, I just got the Rumor. I didn't have to call Sprint or anything. I just went into the store and switched phones. They didn't even give me the mail-in rebate, they just took $50 off, so it only cost me $50 to get it. fuck all you naysayers, so far, I'm loving Sprint.[/quote]

Congrats on being able to change instore, but what you did was a very big YMMV. and are you planning on using the instore receipt for your mail-in rebate?

Alright guys, I need a few answers about this plan quick

So can I get the base $30 plan and add lines?
Also, is there rollover minutes?

and how is the coverage? Im in California if that matters.

Alright. Final question before I jump all over this deal. There is no roaming fee, right? They just take it off of your normal minutes? What about using the web in a roaming area?

I just want to make sure I won;t get charged for anything when I go on vacation next month, because the resort is considered a roaming area.

[quote name='homeland']Congrats on being able to change instore, but what you did was a very big YMMV. and are you planning on using the instore receipt for your mail-in rebate?[/quote]

No, I don't need a mail-in rebate. The phone is normally $100, with a $50 mail in rebate. But, rather than charging me $100, and give me the rebate form, they just charged me $50 for the phone.

[quote name='adawg555']Alright. Final question before I jump all over this deal. There is no roaming fee, right? They just take it off of your normal minutes? What about using the web in a roaming area?

I just want to make sure I won;t get charged for anything when I go on vacation next month, because the resort is considered a roaming area.[/quote]

No roaming fee whats so ever. and u can use the web during roaming.

[quote name='FFMooglestar']I'm using the Mogul now and love it. I'm not sure what to be looking for as far as speed is concerned, but everything seems to run seemlessly including Slingplayer Mobile, so I can watch my full Home Cable TV service from anywhere on my phone. With the latest Firmware GPS has been unlocked so Google Maps works flawlessly. Let me know if you have any questions about this phone and I'll try to answer them for you as best as possible.[/QUOTE]

Just got the phone today, and after a few minutes with it, the phone is great, point me in the right direction, for getting aditional apps for it!thanks!

And by the way, while at the store at around 7pm, like 4 people asked for the samsung Instinct, people are going nuts for this phone, there was no Instinct left in the store....The thing is I believe the Mogul is a better phone than the Instinct, after reading a few reviews online about it.

[quote name='hcamacho']Just got the phone today, and after a few minutes with it, the phone is great, point me in the right direction, for getting aditional apps for it!thanks!

And by the way, while at the store at around 7pm, like 4 people asked for the samsung Instinct, people are going nuts for this phone, there was no Instinct left in the store....The thing is I believe the Mogul is a better phone than the Instinct, after reading a few reviews online about it.[/quote]

Yeah, when I was in the store, they had a dry erase marker, and they wrote on the display window, "We have 23 Instincts left". They changed the number about three times while I was there. They're going fast.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Yeah, when I was in the store, they had a dry erase marker, and they wrote on the display window, "We have 23 Instincts left". They changed the number about three times while I was there. They're going fast.[/QUOTE]

People are going nuts over that phone, it is just like if it was the first touchscreen phone on the market, Sprint and Samsung must had a great promotional agreement on that phone.

So, if I do this, I'll be porting my number. My question is, how soon do I lose access to my current account? Will I call in once everything ships, or is it pretty much immediately?

I only ask here because I can't find any answers online. The one faq I found a link to didn't have anything in the page. Looked like an error or something.

[quote name='bone_matrix']So, if I do this, I'll be porting my number. My question is, how soon do I lose access to my current account? Will I call in once everything ships, or is it pretty much immediately?

I only ask here because I can't find any answers online. The one faq I found a link to didn't have anything in the page. Looked like an error or something.[/quote]

What you do, is order as normal, porting your phone number. Your old phone number won't stop working until you get your new phone and activate it. That way you can use your old phone until your new one is delivered. Then, when the new one is activated, call your old company, and cancel the phone.

[quote name='Access_Denied']What you do, is order as normal, porting your phone number. Your old phone number won't stop working until you get your new phone and activate it. That way you can use your old phone until your new one is delivered. Then, when the new one is activated, call your old company, and cancel the phone.[/quote]

K, thanks. I appreciate all the help you have all given me. :applause:

I think I'll be doing it this week then.

just a f.y.i when you call to activate your phone and port the number you will need to have information about your curent phone company and account. If you just have a copy of a bill from your old phone company you'll be fine.

After calling back to check on my order again today...for the third time...I finally got someone to tell me why it's backordered. The Q9c has been discontinued. :whistle2:( So I'm back to picking a phone again. Looking at either the Centro or the Samsung Ace. Which of these is best, or is there another one I should be looking into?

Bah, I just want a phone at this point - I've been cellphone-less for about 3 months now.

If I were in your shoes, id just get any phone and then next month get the new Palm thats coming out. WM 6.1 with touch screen.!

[quote name='homeland']If I were in your shoes, id just get any phone and then next month get the new Palm thats coming out. WM 6.1 with touch screen.![/quote]

Ewww. Palm OS is SOOOO much better than Windows Mobile. That's a decision breaker right there.

[quote name='argyle']After calling back to check on my order again today...for the third time...I finally got someone to tell me why it's backordered. The Q9c has been discontinued. :whistle2:( So I'm back to picking a phone again. Looking at either the Centro or the Samsung Ace. Which of these is best, or is there another one I should be looking into?

Bah, I just want a phone at this point - I've been cellphone-less for about 3 months now.[/QUOTE]

thats what i was trying to say earlier..

after playing with them in a store.. i like the Ace a bit more then Centro but you probably couldn't go wrong with eiter.

[quote name='bisquit']Nice deal. I've been on it for over 2 years. Cept I got on it before the unlimited texting.[/quote]

Have you tried calling up CSR and seeing if you can get unlimited text added?

[quote name='homeland']If I were in your shoes, id just get any phone and then next month get the new Palm thats coming out. WM 6.1 with touch screen.![/QUOTE]

What phone are you talking about?

palms new phone, it comes out next month and looks really good. at grocery store and cant provide a link. but it looks like the 755p but comes with winows mobile. i think its called the 800.

Currently I am stuck with helio for another year. At around $55 per month with limited data features I am wondering if I should just cancel early and eat the early termination fee. The sero plan seems like such a good deal and having unlimited texts and data is icing on the cake.

I wonder what I should do.

[quote name='Gamehead']Currently I am stuck with helio for another year. At around $55 per month with limited data features I am wondering if I should just cancel early and eat the early termination fee. The sero plan seems like such a good deal and having unlimited texts and data is icing on the cake.

I wonder what I should do.[/QUOTE]

Unlimited data, for 30$ monthly, wont find that anywhere else...What are u waiting for...My mobile contract expired like a year ago, and I was waiting for the right plan to sign up again, and the SERO plan is the best plan out, if u dont use the phone much, I rarely use the phone, it is to be always in contact with wife and kids at school , other than that, I can live with 500 minutes, and nights and weekends free.The SERO plan is a no brainer IMHO.

Sorry guys I don't want to sift through the whole thread so im just going to ask now. My Cingular contract ends on July 13th. How would I go about doing this SERO plan and getting my number ported? Do I need to wait until the 13th when I can end my contract with AT&T or should I just sign up for SERO now (so ill have the phone before the 13th)? Thanks in advance..

You can do either, wait until your out of contract or order it before. Probably Just order it on July 9th (its a wensday) and you'll have your phone by that Friday. So when your crongrat runs out on that Sunday you'll be all set! order your sero service and phone from the sero website. When you get your phone, call to activate it and tell them you need to port your number (have your cingular bill at hand as you'll need some info) and within a few hours your number will be ported.

[quote name='homeland']palms new phone, it comes out next month and looks really good. at grocery store and cant provide a link. but it looks like the 755p but comes with winows mobile. i think its called the 800.[/QUOTE]

I have to confess, I've always gotten a phone w/ a contract, and never swapped phones until I got a new contract. How difficult is it to buy a phone "in the wild" (ebay, etc.) and swap service to it?

I really am considering just getting a phone that will end up being free after rebate right now, since I honestly don't need to spend the extra $$ right now anyway, and then getting something better later on.

Oh and one more question.. after some research I think I may go with the BlackBerry® Curve™ 8330. Anyone have experiences on this? I basically would like to be able to surf the net, use AIM, and talk (obviously). Thanks!

After some research I am thinking I will go with the BlackBerry® Curve™ 8330. I want to be able to talk (obviously), surf the web, and use AIM (I can do this with the $30 plan right)? Any experiences with this phone? I like it because it is a smart phone but it still small and also has expansion for up to 8GB. Thanks again.

Edit: After looking I guess you can't get a Blackberry for the $30 plan. Any other suggestions for a phone that will do the above things I want to do? (I want to make sure I get the full keypad)

So, just called Sprint up, the red Centro (the one I ordered) is backordered, as is the black one. Course they have no idea when they will get more in stock.

I could get a different phone, and then switch it out at a Sprint store or something because of the 30 day thing right? Also, why the hell is it on the website to order if they don't have any? Fraken BS.

They are on backorder on the centro? so wierd, thats one of their more popular phone. Not sure about switching in store. Technically no, you can't but a couple of people have said they've done it in store before. I think its a big YMMV on that. Switching phones through mail isn't to bad though, as they ship the phone with next day delivery.

[quote name='Gamehead']Currently I am stuck with helio for another year. At around $55 per month with limited data features I am wondering if I should just cancel early and eat the early termination fee. The sero plan seems like such a good deal and having unlimited texts and data is icing on the cake.

I wonder what I should do.[/quote]

don't cancel... Helio is about to kick the bucket any time now. They're supposedly in talks to merge with Virgin Mobile, as soon as next week, and at that point Helio customers may or may not have service(..as well as a contract)

So,.. I'd say dont gamble the money when the end is probably close. I'm on Helio also.. and I'm banking on their collapse to switch to this.

I do have a question though... how do you have a limited data plan for 55 a month? you know for 65 a month you can get unlimited everything(except anytime minutes), right?

[quote name='smoger']don't cancel... Helio is about to kick the bucket any time now. They're supposedly in talks to merge with Virgin Mobile, as soon as next week, and at that point Helio customers may or may not have service(..as well as a contract)

So,.. I'd say dont gamble the money when the end is probably close. I'm on Helio also.. and I'm banking on their collapse to switch to this.

I do have a question though... how do you have a limited data plan for 55 a month? you know for 65 a month you can get unlimited everything(except anytime minutes), right?[/QUOTE]

Awesome news. I am not surprised helio is going under. Not many people seem to know about it. Anyway, I have the $40 ala carte plan. Then you add 7 for insurance plus taxes and random amounts for texting and data. That is at least $55 per month sometimes more. I tried doing the all in 500 plan, but that is way too expensive when you add in the insurance and taxes.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

OK, last week, I placed an order for the Q9c and the $50/mo SERO plan. I received an email the next day saying it was backordered. I called to check on it to find out why & for how long, but no one could tell me any more than what the order status said - backordered. I tried calling 3 different times over the next week, and the third time, Monday, I got the lady to tell me why it was backordered. They were discontinuing that phone.

So she tried to transfer me to another dept, saying that I would have to pick a different phone. The transfer didn't work, but she had also given me a number so I called that & spoke to someone. Explained to them the situation - as best I could, since the lady was VERY hard to understand - and she starts doing...something. What exactly this lady did, I'm not sure. I do know it wasn't what she was *supposed* to have done. What she did was dark, an affront to nature. About mid-ways through her asking me questions, I tried asking her if she was placing a brand new order. She said yes - or at least, that's what I made out that she said. Since I had determined that my chances of her getting anything right in a order were slim to none, I asked if she could just cancel the original order (which she said she had done anyway) and let me place a new one online. She said yes, that would be fine, and told me goodbye.

This was the beginning of the end.

I waited to place the second order Tuesday morning, so I could settle on a new phone. Later that day, I received an email saying my order was on hold. I called to find out why, and was told that I had two accounts. I explained the situation to the lady, and she claimed she understood and would correct the issue. I didn't think much more about it.

Later that night, I get a call from Sprint. The lady on the other end sounds rather confused, and she starts asking me about the "number I had requested" and saying something about how this number already belonged to someone else, and was there a reason I had requested it, etc. I explained to her that I hadn't requested any number, didn't have a phone or service, and basically had no idea what she was talking about. I tried to explain my situation to her up to this point, and she pulls up my account - she says I have a credit for about $280 on my account.

Now I was really starting to get concerned. I pulled up my bank records online after hanging up with her, and sure enough, I see charges for the phone last week as well as the one I had just ordered.

About an hour later, someone else calls. She starts asking me the same kinds of questions about this number, and I kinda snapped. I told her that I had told the other lady I have no clue what they're talking, and all I know is that I've been charged twice for phones when I haven't received a single one yet. I tell her I'm pretty close to canceling it all and going with someone else at this point. She apologizes and tells me she's going to look into the issue, and will call me back in about 30 minutes.

She does as she says - her name is Maria, and she's the only sane person I have spoken to yet at Sprint. She gets all the details of the problem up to this point, and fills me in on the ones I'm not aware of. Apparently, somehow someone else's cell # had gotten on my account - as in another active number. So not only is she working to straighten out my 2-account problem, but she's trying to extract this line from my account. To do this, she has to call me back several times, but at least she's always very friendly and does as she says.

At about 9:00 last night she calls back and we really start working on the main problem. She has to transfer me all around Sprint, but she stays on the line the entire time as well. She has to put me on hold periodically, but she always puts me on "silent hold" so there's no hold music & I can still hear the third person. We go from dept. to dept., and every time the new person is completely lost. I stopped explaining the situation and just let Maria do it, since she knew it better than I did at this point plus she could throw in the Sprint technical jargon to them. Sometimes the person we dealt with would seem to sorta understand, sometimes they would be completely lost, and on at least one occassion they were extremely rude. Finally, Maria told me that someone should be able to complete the order at this point, so we transferred one last time (hoping each time this would be the leap home... :p ).

I got on the phone with a sales lady, but Maria had put herself on hold again. So I tell the sales lady we just need someone to complete the order at this point. She says ok, that doesn't look like a problem, and she does it. I'm pretty leery, so I ask her a couple of times if she's sure it's all squared away now, and she says "yes." She says goodbye, but I don't hang up - I wait for Maria to return from her hold. When she does, I tell her what has happened. She pulls up the order to make sure it was done correctly, but it turns out the lady somehow sent the original order back through - the one with the phone they no longer carry.

Maria tries to get her back on the line to fix it, but it's just after 10:00 now my time (11:00 Eastern, which is when that dept. closes) and she can't reach her. I can tell she's about as frustrated as I am - she says she promises she will fix this tomorrow, and she will call me around 6:00 (this afternoon). I tell her ok and thank her for her help.

Just a few minutes ago I got another phone call from a random Sprint lackey. The lady asks for my account verification info, in broken English, then proceeds to tell me that my order is on hold because I already have an existing account. I cut her off, tell her that I stayed on hold for over an hour the night before fighting the issue. I tell her that someone by the name of Maria is working on the problem, and that if she can't resolve it I'm canceling everything I have with them & going with another carrier.

It's rare to find a company this completely incompetent - I'm starting to think it might be worth the extra $$/mo to use a carrier that isn't staffed by trained monkeys.

i doubt its rare as its one of the reasons sprints in the shitter. lucky u found a competent csr. luckily i havent had to deal with their csr often. if they would just get rid of their indian csr's it would solve half the problem.

written from my q9c!

got my phone and my wife just got hers today! i called to try to get the $50 discount for URANG and some other codes but they wouldn't do it. my experience so far has been pleasant with the reps, no complaints. we got our phones fast (the M520 and the Katana LX). I have something like 23kb downloaded already. love it.

Next im gonna try to get a university discount cuz i think i read somewhere about somebody getting that. Anybody hear of this before?

bread's done
Back