SERO - The formerly best cell phone plan (still good deal if you want a Blackberry).

djkunai

Banned
I just got sick of always seeing people asking about what the best cell phone plan is. Hands down, the best rates you could possibly find is SERO (however, coverage is YMMV).

SERO stands for Sprint Employee Referral Offer. Here's what you get
  • Unlimited Text Messaging
  • Unlimited Nights & Weekends starting at 7pm
  • Domestic long distance
  • Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
  • Unlimited Web/Data Access
  • Unlimited Picture Mail (with compatible devices)
500 anytime minutes for $30 / month

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='homeland']Just a heads up. Looks like this deal is coming to a close come July 10th. If you want to get on it you'd better sign up soon to get Grandfathered in!!!![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info homeland I just did a little research after reading that. This info comes from user "Next Steps" on HowardForums:

Here is the dirt on the new SERO plans

Launch Date is 7/10/08.

SERO is gone. In its place is Everything Plus. Its basically the same as SERO except it includes text and GPS Navigation in the plan. Thats the good news, the bad news the pricing is going up. Way up.

Everything Plus 500 is going to be $59.99
Everything Plus 1000 is going to be $79.99
Simply Everything for $99.99 will still be an option

The $50 for 300 and $50 for 1250 will expire on 7/10. Those customers still on it will be grandfathered and remain on the plans, but all new SERO activations will be on these new Everything Plus plans.

As others have said, I'm also stoked to have gotten in on this plan before the change, and everyone holding off for more phone options or are on the fence should get in now!

I just bit on this a couple days ago. So glad I got on the bandwagon before it switched over.

Just to be even more of a cheap ass, are there any coupons still available to get that 50$ credit off of your bill?

I know its against the OP rules, but since this deal is on a very short time leash and about to expire I think that would qualify as extenuating circumstances, so I'm wondering if anyone can PM me with a referral number. I'll do it for whoever sends me one first. I PM'ed the OP to no response.

I constantly miss good deals and I know I'll be kicking myself if I don't get a cell phone with this cheap of a price right now, and I really need one. I'm still kinda kicking myself over missing that 35% cashback deal right when it started. If anyone can help, please PM me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, so from what I've gathered in using several phones and observing online, I want the Moto Q 9c but it is no longer an option on the sero site. I have seen it at my local Sprint RE-seller, (not the actual Sprint store). Is it a possibility to get a centro through the online and take it in to the Sprint reseller store and have them swap them out for a Q 9c?

I'm new to this thread. What emails are people using these days to sign up for this offer?
Is everyone still using the one posted in the OP with success?

That's great!
I need to have a talk with my mom about this plan.
Right now she's paying 130 a month on a Verizon family plan, 3 lines, 1400 minutes.
She would be saving 40 bucks a month, easy. Plus, we'd have a total of 1500 anytime minutes every month. And I'm in for a phone upgrade too.

[quote name='sprintfinanceguy']I am happy to provide my work E-mail if needed for people to sign up for the SERO plans, as they are clamping down on the generic addresses, and recent layoffs may make some of the ones posted from SlickDeals invalid. Send me a PM, I'm not quite willing to post it out here in public, but very willing to help in any way I can regarding Sprint.[/QUOTE]

I PM'ed this guy, just giving him a heads up if he's still active and wants a referral if he's checking this thread too. I gotta do it tomorrow though really, so I hope he checks his PM's or is on, otherwise I'll just have to use a random one.

Heads up, there are rumors that there will be new SERO plans on july 13 and the $30 500-SERO plan will get a higher pricer. So act quickly.

[quote name='salvamag']Heads up, there are rumors that there will be new SERO plans on july 13 and the $30 500-SERO plan will get a higher pricer. So act quickly.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, on the 10th. Someone posted the details about it on the page before this one.

well I purchased 2 centros yesterday (one for me, one for my girlfriend) its my first cell phone in a while (the prices were exorbinant for what I use it for.. i don't call many people) but the price is cheaper then the landline + 1 cell we currently have.. i'm really more intrigued with the web browsing being able to CAG at work or school and you have to have that unlimited data plan for that..

[quote name='uncbaseballfreak']Ok, so from what I've gathered in using several phones and observing online, I want the Moto Q 9c but it is no longer an option on the sero site. I have seen it at my local Sprint RE-seller, (not the actual Sprint store). Is it a possibility to get a centro through the online and take it in to the Sprint reseller store and have them swap them out for a Q 9c?[/QUOTE]

you may be able to get that work.. but that seems very YMMV..

[quote name='FFMooglestar']Thanks for the info homeland I just did a little research after reading that. This info comes from user "Next Steps" on HowardForums:

As others have said, I'm also stoked to have gotten in on this plan before the change, and everyone holding off for more phone options or are on the fence should get in now![/QUOTE]

I was under the impression that text and GPS were included in SERO. Can somebody clarify?

If both are in, I'll definitely jump on board. If not, I'll still probably do it.

Just had my first experience with spring service representatives. My order was on backorder, so I wanted to select an alternate phone. I call the number listed in the e-mail that was specified for me to call to select an alternate phone. I reach CSR #1. I give her the information then she tells transfers me to some other department. I get cut off. I call back and reach CSR#2. This guy tells me that because I am applying for a SERO plan I would have to call a special department. He even gives me the number to call in case I get disconnected again.

What a surprise I get disconnected, but here's the funny part. That motherfucker gave me the number to cancellation. WTF. I called and CSR#3 was talking to me like I was a jackass for calling the cancellation department. She transfers me to sales. I think I got disconnected again.

I finally reach CSR#4 and she seems very competent. She tells me that she can't cancel my account, but her supervisor will in some hours. I didn't quite hear her. So basically I just wasted my fucking time. Why wouldn't they just let me change my phone. I dont want to wait 2 weeks for another phone. The SERO plan is the only reason why I am dealing with this.

I ordered a replacement phone for my ocean via warranty so I could sell it. I have to send my current phone back and can't activate the new one obviously. I need a phone asap.

I just canceled T-Mobile and am about to sign up for SERO. If someone wants to PM me their Sprint #, I'll use it as my reference when signing up.

Thanks.

[quote name='Gamehead']Just had my first experience with spring service representatives. My order was on backorder, so I wanted to select an alternate phone. I call the number listed in the e-mail that was specified for me to call to select an alternate phone. I reach CSR #1. I give her the information then she tells transfers me to some other department. I get cut off. I call back and reach CSR#2. This guy tells me that because I am applying for a SERO plan I would have to call a special department. He even gives me the number to call in case I get disconnected again.

What a surprise I get disconnected, but here's the funny part. That motherfucker gave me the number to cancellation. WTF. I called and CSR#3 was talking to me like I was a jackass for calling the cancellation department. She transfers me to sales. I think I got disconnected again.

I finally reach CSR#4 and she seems very competent. She tells me that she can't cancel my account, but her supervisor will in some hours. I didn't quite hear her. So basically I just wasted my fucking time. Why wouldn't they just let me change my phone. I dont want to wait 2 weeks for another phone. The SERO plan is the only reason why I am dealing with this.

I ordered a replacement phone for my ocean via warranty so I could sell it. I have to send my current phone back and can't activate the new one obviously. I need a phone asap.[/quote]

I never got disconnected, but trying to change phones is a bitch apparently. They have to cancel the order than redo it or something. A few pages back, some guy went though crap to do that I think, so I figured I would just wait. Took about a week or so from when I ordered it to finally receive it. Totally worth the wait though. Cheap plan, pretty much everything unlimited, and I got a Centro. Which I love.

Just bear with it I would say.

they didn't explain it to you? Your first bill will be for your first 2 months... after that you'll be paying for 1 month. So right now you are paying for July/August .. in August you'll be paying for September. Basically unlike how verizon is, which you pay in june for what you did in may, Sprint has you pay a month in advance.

[quote name='homeland']they didn't explain it to you? Your first bill will be for your first 2 months... after that you'll be paying for 1 month. So right now you are paying for July/August .. in August you'll be paying for September. Basically unlike how verizon is, which you pay in june for what you did in may, Sprint has you pay a month in advance.[/QUOTE]Oh okay good. I figured it was something like that. I just panicked because they were listing the "Bill Period" as June 2nd through July 1st. Heh, they kinda fudge up a lot of the finer details on the website don't they?

Well, everyone says the first bill is fucked up.. Somehow I have a $160 credit :D. Must have been a mix up when I switched phones.

I actually think your first bill depends on your credit. My first bill came in today and they charged me $5 for the time I had the phone in June, and then the regular $30 plus fees and taxes for July, totalling $47. Never had to pay 2 months in advance.

It's probably current month, prorated, and next full month. I think that's the way the cable company does it as well.
So it looks like the Centro is the current recommendation, based on a balance between price and features? What is the difference between Vision and Power Vision, and what exactly are either of those?

Does the URANG promotion still work? I missed it during my initial signup, and a customer service guy said I should put it in on the website. Any idea where?

I got the Centro, and it is pretty neat (with iPhone skinning). Anyone know anything about the 800w that Homeland said would be coming out soon? I wonder if I should upgrade before my 30 days is up...

So I get my first bill today. $66! I take a look, and find out half is for this month, and half is for next month. No big deal, they're letting me know ahead of time what next months bill should be. But wait, it's due July 29. But July's billing period doesn't end until August 5th. So why am I being forced to pay July's bill before July is over?

They told me that mine would be basically the same thing. I suppose I'm going to be paying for July and for August. Weird...

Yeah, haven't received my first bill yet, but it is going to be about $60 because of the partial month thing.

Whatever, its cheap, and pretty much unlimited everything, I'm not going to complain.

This evening I got an email from Sprint saying that a feature had been removed from my account - namely "CDMA Welcome Call." So, umm... what exactly is that?

[quote name='cheba63']It's just a phone call from Sprint when you first get your phone to go over stuff with you.[/QUOTE]

Oh good, so it's useless. Thanks!

my red centro is still back ordered.. darn them.. (i already confirmed that I am getting the sero deal no matter when it comes.. but for my rebate the box has to be postmarked today or tomorrow.. grr)

my GF got her Pink centro a few days ago and its definately pretty cool..

but then again "cool to me" may not be cool to you guys, i'm very much NOT a cell phone person in general but this deal was not only better than any one out there currently it did a lot more then the service we were on (a crappy altel family share thing with my mom.. its up in SEPT anyways) and the centros we have are going to be literally light years ahead of the crappy razr we had.. i hate that phone..

but yeah its basically 2 phones for the price we were paying for 1 phone.. if you guys haven't got on the deal yet, a friend of mine got on it from calling sprint still so you may get lucky if you have still procrastinated.

edit:

also we confirmed our first bill is in sept for 69 dollars (total for 2 phones) apparently the first month was included when we paid for our phones (or thats what the customer service lady told us)

Um... it appears that Sprint has changed how one signs up for this. I was checking it a few nights ago and it only required a Sprint employee email to go forward; now it's asking for an email and the last 3 digits in their employee ID (and the page has been redesigned.) So... how do I proceed now?

[quote name='Bravelionheart']Um... it appears that Sprint has changed how one signs up for this. I was checking it a few nights ago and it only required a Sprint employee email to go forward; now it's asking for an email and the last 3 digits in their employee ID (and the page has been redesigned.) So... how do I proceed now?[/quote]
Like this:
Attn all cags that work for sprint! I will trade game/paypal for your e-mail and last 3 of employee id so that I can get the sprint cell deal.
BTW if any cags work for sprint pm me and we can work something out.:bouncy:

since they changed the website this might be the one that has changed into the rumored "60 dollar" plan as the "everything plus" suggests on the front page..

i would try and call and get it over the phone

This is a great deal if you can get it. However, for those that can't I'd say sprint offers the best price and features for the buck on their plans. I can get 1500 min plan with 2 lines, data, powervision, etc for 130. With sero we would have spent 30 less, would have gotten the 50/mo plan. How does the mobile tv work? I decided I'm switching to sprint when I heard they had live espn on it. My cost will be 110.50 + fees/tax after employer discount not bad.

Another question(sorry)

Does anyone know how I can get it so that when I call someone with caller ID, they can see my number AND name? Right now they only see my number. I remember they told me how to do it while setting up the phone, but for the life of me I forgot. I tried calling to ask CS yesterday, but I got some dude who has no clue what he's talking about.

Also, if anybody wants to do the referral thing with me so that we can each get a $25 gift card(just got my first one, woot!), just let me know via PM. I could REALLY use the money right now.

So I think it is safe to say that the $30 deal is dead. My question is regarding the "grandfather clause". Does Sprint honor the $30/month until I'm 70 years old and die of a heart attack, or do we only get $30/month until my current contract finishes in 2010?

You can still get on the website and check it out as of right now without id numbers.

Go to google (or probably any search engine), and type in SERO, hit enter.

The first listing should be SERO WELCOME. If you click on it, it will take you to the new login screen. If you clicked on 'cached' it will take you to the OLD login site that works with [email protected]

or go here. [SIZE=-1]http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:d9qDx_9TXB0J:www.sprint.com/sero+sero&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

[/SIZE]Page is cached as of July 7th

Enjoy. The new plans *thumbsdown* if you don't have a blackberry, its just more money for the same. You can however get a blackberry with BIS service for less than you could before ($30 sero + 40, BB) vs $60 everything

[quote name='thecurrybot5000']So I think it is safe to say that the $30 deal is dead. My question is regarding the "grandfather clause". Does Sprint honor the $30/month until I'm 70 years old and die of a heart attack, or do we only get $30/month until my current contract finishes in 2010?[/QUOTE]

going off of every service (non cell phone mind you) you continue to pay the same even after.. (although this may be different in the cell phone world, as I haven't ever had a cell phone contract) just after the 2 years you can cancel and get a new plan or continue with the same plan,..

EDIT: if you need Referals i have access to 4 phones that will give you a REF .. PM me

EDIT AGAIN: while I do not have my phone yet (it is en route) i was playing around with my girlfriend's and heres a few applications I suggest for any of the Palm phones (we got centros) google Mundu radio.. it basically lets you stream any internet radio station (even FM ones that have links on their website) you can literally get thousands of internet radio stations for free instead of paying sprint extra money for them (because it goes through that awesome internet connection) .. there was a free "get sports" where it gives you schedules and scores.. although it probably isn't as good just going to ESPN.com but its nice that you can get it without extra steps.. i've been trying to find a free internet flash video watcher but the only one i can find is this 25 dollar Kinoma player..

I just read the corporate communication that SERO is dead. That back door link will be closed soon, as they are actively trying to stamp out the SERO program. The new "Everything" program is taking its place, and will be $60 rather than $30, but includes navigation and some other stuff...

They started asking for the last 3 digits of the employee ID as well, which I am happy to provide with my E-mail to any CAGs that might want the $60 program, but I'm sure the shock of losing the $30 will take a while for that to happen.

Too many adds were coming through on the $30 plan, which simply does not pay for itself. By the time we subsidize the phone that you buy, (it costs us $150-$200 for that free phone you get) we start off in the hole and have to try to make that money back on the margin of having a customer each month. At $30 per month, the margin is not high enough (and is actually often negative due to the amount of data a lot of people use).

Again, I'm happy to help people out for $60, but if you want in for $30, you had better use that backdoor google link while it lasts. Good Luck.

[quote name='urzishra14']going off of every service (non cell phone mind you) you continue to pay the same even after.. (although this may be different in the cell phone world, as I haven't ever had a cell phone contract) just after the 2 years you can cancel and get a new plan or continue with the same plan,..

EDIT: if you need Referals i have access to 4 phones that will give you a REF .. PM me

EDIT AGAIN: while I do not have my phone yet (it is en route) i was playing around with my girlfriend's and heres a few applications I suggest for any of the Palm phones (we got centros) google Mundu radio.. it basically lets you stream any internet radio station (even FM ones that have links on their website) you can literally get thousands of internet radio stations for free instead of paying sprint extra money for them (because it goes through that awesome internet connection) .. there was a free "get sports" where it gives you schedules and scores.. although it probably isn't as good just going to ESPN.com but its nice that you can get it without extra steps.. i've been trying to find a free internet flash video watcher but the only one i can find is this 25 dollar Kinoma player..[/quote]

With the old SERO plan, you got unlimited data, so streaming wouldn't really matter. Also, I can't find a better video player either, and I'm too cheap to buy the player.

I'm glad I jumped in on this when I did. I hope you like your Centro, I know I do!

Found out today I'm in my contract until August 7th. I'm not sure if I want to keep my current 1000min. plan, or switch to the 500min. plan with net and texting.

They both cost $60 a month, so I really need to start looking at my usage to see what's best.

So I just got my Centro and I was wondering if I could possibly return it and swap it for the Treo 800w instead?

bread's done
Back