SERO - The formerly best cell phone plan (still good deal if you want a Blackberry).

djkunai

Banned
I just got sick of always seeing people asking about what the best cell phone plan is. Hands down, the best rates you could possibly find is SERO (however, coverage is YMMV).

SERO stands for Sprint Employee Referral Offer. Here's what you get
  • Unlimited Text Messaging
  • Unlimited Nights & Weekends starting at 7pm
  • Domestic long distance
  • Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
  • Unlimited Web/Data Access
  • Unlimited Picture Mail (with compatible devices)
500 anytime minutes for $30 / month

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='am90']So I just got my Centro and I was wondering if I could possibly return it and swap it for the Treo 800w instead?[/quote]

When's it coming out? How much will it be? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

[quote name='orko60']When's it coming out? How much will it be? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.[/quote]

It just came out along with the new plans on the website.

[quote name='sprintfinanceguy']I just read the corporate communication that SERO is dead. That back door link will be closed soon, as they are actively trying to stamp out the SERO program. The new "Everything" program is taking its place, and will be $60 rather than $30, but includes navigation and some other stuff...

They started asking for the last 3 digits of the employee ID as well, which I am happy to provide with my E-mail to any CAGs that might want the $60 program, but I'm sure the shock of losing the $30 will take a while for that to happen.

Too many adds were coming through on the $30 plan, which simply does not pay for itself. By the time we subsidize the phone that you buy, (it costs us $150-$200 for that free phone you get) we start off in the hole and have to try to make that money back on the margin of having a customer each month. At $30 per month, the margin is not high enough (and is actually often negative due to the amount of data a lot of people use).

Again, I'm happy to help people out for $60, but if you want in for $30, you had better use that backdoor google link while it lasts. Good Luck.[/QUOTE]

considering the amount of people they have on plans that just clusterfuck them on going over minutes or even just recieving a text message or logging onto the internet, they are definately making their money up in other areas .. i don't think anyone here got a "free" phone.. maybe a cheaper then usual phone because of the 150 "instant" savings.. but even then i had a cell contract that was 60 dollars a month for a lot less than im getting now..

i'm not convinced that it costs that much for data transfer as some of these places are leading on.. i think its something they are wanting to just screw people over with on.

IMO we've had free IM technology since AOL in like 94 it should be free on all cell phones and companies use it as an extra cost rather then something that should just be included. but anyways..

the 60 a month plan really isn't that bad of a deal when you look for unlimited data/texting.. no where near the 30 a month.. but not terrible either.

any clue as to what happens if we try to negotiate a better deal when our contract is up?

or even try to get a better phone when the contract is up/at the end of the first year?

I want a new phone and maybe 10% off eveyr month BUT i dont want to push it if there is a possiblity of having to pay $60/month if i make a fuss about it.

PS
Now that this plan isnt so hot, any ideas on what company has the cheapest/most value for their service?

So, I got a credit for $2.64, and when I look at my account, I have used 8 premium services, and I am allowed only 0. I thought those were unlimited too? Well, I thought I remember seeing that they were before the credit. Anyone else have this happen?

If anybody would like to get a referral (or hell, even use my number as one), send me a PM. For some reason I wasn't able to use homeland as a referral, so mine is up for grabs now!

^^^ That's odd because urzishra14 tried to use my number for a referral but he said it didn't work. Are they trying to kill the referral program now too?

yeah i used #733 + number and it said "this program is no longer in use" or something like that.. i've tried to get other people who don't have sero but have sprint and it doesn't work for them eitehr

You should email them. I was having problems getting my referral, so I emailed them. They couldn't give me the $25 visa card, but they did credit my account $25 as well as my referral.

OK, something strange happened to my account. Here is what the main page says now:

Last Bill Amount
$552.04
Adjustments/Credits
$0.00
Recent Payments
none
Total Due
$552.04
Pay By
August 9

Now, When I look at my last bill, it still says $47.

Whats going on here?

[quote name='chimpian']any clue as to what happens if we try to negotiate a better deal when our contract is up?

or even try to get a better phone when the contract is up/at the end of the first year?

I want a new phone and maybe 10% off eveyr month BUT i dont want to push it if there is a possiblity of having to pay $60/month if i make a fuss about it.

PS
Now that this plan isnt so hot, any ideas on what company has the cheapest/most value for their service?[/quote]

If you need 2 lines as I do with data sprint imo is still the best. You can't get 2 lines with 1500 min. & blackberry data for that with verizon. Not to mention the sprint plan has mobile tv. Also don't forget about employer discount programs. I told them where I work and get 21% off my 130 plan. No one can touch that for me. In fact this very well may be better than the new sero for people needing 2 or more lines.

[quote name='homeland']Its $250 and its on sprints site now!...and Orko60 Thanks![/quote]

NP. Is this phone worth the $150 upgrade from the Centro, though? Beyond GPS, does it do anything else of note? With GPS, can it act like a navigation system? I like the Centro, but I'm just wondering...

[quote name='orko60']NP. Is this phone worth the $150 upgrade from the Centro, though? Beyond GPS, does it do anything else of note? With GPS, can it act like a navigation system? I like the Centro, but I'm just wondering...[/QUOTE]

I'm looking at reviews of the phone now trying to decide whether it is better than the Centro. I'll post anything significant I find.

The palm treo 800w doesn't seem to be that good from what I have learned so far. I have now been eyeing the mogul. I could probably get one off ebay for $230 or less. Or I would just settle for the centro. Ah the choices .

I can't decide right now whether I should keep the Centro I have now or return it for the HTC Touch...also I heard the new HTC Touch Diamond is releasing in the fall for Sprint, sucks that it hasn't come out sooner.

I had the original SERO plan ($30 for 500 minutes) for a little less than a month. Sprint's service here was just not up to par so I decided to cancel within my 30 days. Now they are refusing to refund the $275 odd dollars I paid for my phone (Moto Q 9c). There were a couple small scratches on the screen from my other phone rubbing against the Q while they shared a pocket. They said my return was not up to requirements and I would have to contest them to get my refund (I'm assuming they mean the scratches).

What can I do to improve my chances of getting my money back?

I did have phone insurance so worst case scenario, I should at least be able to pay $50 to replace the phone to get my refund right?

[quote name='uncbaseballfreak']I had the original SERO plan ($30 for 500 minutes) for a little less than a month. Sprint's service here was just not up to par so I decided to cancel within my 30 days. Now they are refusing to refund the $275 odd dollars I paid for my phone (Moto Q 9c). There were a couple small scratches on the screen from my other phone rubbing against the Q while they shared a pocket. They said my return was not up to requirements and I would have to contest them to get my refund (I'm assuming they mean the scratches).

What can I do to improve my chances of getting my money back?

I did have phone insurance so worst case scenario, I should at least be able to pay $50 to replace the phone to get my refund right?[/quote]

not sure about the first half but, my dog ate my first phone, paid the $50 and than switched that phone for a different model as I was in my 30 days with no problem..

On a side note are you in the Raleigh Traingle? I am moving there this summer and I thought the coverage there was good.

Well took the plunge and got a Mogul off ebay. Does anyone know if I will be able to return the phone I got from sprint for a refund and transfer my plan over to the new phone? I know I can transfer my plan to the phone, but I was wondering if I could get a refund on my old phone (the one currently attached to my plan).

[quote name='homeland']On a side note are you in the Raleigh Traingle? I am moving there this summer and I thought the coverage there was good.[/QUOTE]

No I'm in Tennessee now.

i'm one of the lucky ones who's had Sero for a long time now. in fact, my contract has already expired. i know that sometime soon i'm going to have to upgrade my phone. so my question is this: will i lose my $30 plan if i upgrade my phone? sprint has a phone upgrade program but i believe you have to sign up for another contract...does that mean that i have to sign up with a "new" contract that isn't sero?

if that's the case, i'll have to decide whether i should pay full price for a new phone and keep sero or lose sero but get a new "almost free" phone...

[quote name='wildnuts02']i'm one of the lucky ones who's had Sero for a long time now. in fact, my contract has already expired. i know that sometime soon i'm going to have to upgrade my phone. so my question is this: will i lose my $30 plan if i upgrade my phone? sprint has a phone upgrade program but i believe you have to sign up for another contract...does that mean that i have to sign up with a "new" contract that isn't sero?

if that's the case, i'll have to decide whether i should pay full price for a new phone and keep sero or lose sero but get a new "almost free" phone...[/quote]

I want to say you just have to sign up for a contract as far as years of term go, not necessarily a new plan.

Thats the way I understand it at least.

[quote name='bone_matrix']I want to say you just have to sign up for a contract as far as years of term go, not necessarily a new plan.

Thats the way I understand it at least.[/quote]

hope you're right, that'd be great. now the next question is...can i get a Samsung Instinct with my existing Sero plan :whistle2:k...i guess i should just call

[quote name='wildnuts02']hope you're right, that'd be great. now the next question is...can i get a Samsung Instinct with my existing Sero plan :whistle2:k...i guess i should just call[/quote]

No.

It's been mentioned here a few times but I figured I'd bring it up again... anyone down for a new thread where we discuss cheapass apps (preferably free) for Palm OS? There's a huge array of stuff out there so I'd like to get input from fellow CAGs. Would such a thread be most appropriate for Other Deals & Requests of the Off-Topic forum?

[quote name='BustaUppa']It's been mentioned here a few times but I figured I'd bring it up again... anyone down for a new thread where we discuss cheapass apps (preferably free) for Palm OS? There's a huge array of stuff out there so I'd like to get input from fellow CAGs. Would such a thread be most appropriate for Other Deals & Requests of the Off-Topic forum?[/QUOTE]

I would be very interested in this! I would also be interested in finding a way to stop my Centro from always wanting to auto update "on demand." Every morning I wake up with a prompt asking me if its ok for my phone to connect to the internet. I check the box that says "Do not ask again" and pick no. The box then comes up again immediately and I do the same thing yet these 2 same prompts still come up every single morning :(

I'm looking at renewing my Sprint plan this month, and running about $55 a month. With SERO dead, are there any decent discounts out there?

So I called the referral number(#REF) and it looks like the program is still up... Does anybody wanna give it another try? Just PM me.

[quote name='goukill1120']has anybody gotten their rebate or confirmation that their rebate was received ?[/quote]I just got confirmation that my rebate request was accepted. It should be here in a couple weeks.

[quote name='goukill1120']has anybody gotten their rebate or confirmation that their rebate was received ?[/QUOTE]finally got my confirmation email on Sunday

So, granted, the SERO program is through, but does anyone know of what would be the next best thing for what it offered? As in regards to the 30 dollar plan they had beforehand?

well i checked and i finally get coverage in my area and now the damn program has ended? has anybody found anything like this anywhere else

Sorry to ressurect this one....

I am interested in upgrading my phone that I got on the SERO plan. When I go to upgrade, it says I have to go to the www.sprint.com/everythingplus page to upgrade because of the referral plan. But when it goes there now it wants a employee email address AND Id # (which I didn't have to provide before) just to get into the site. Anyone have this info? Or does anyone know if I call the 800 number they provided if they'll ask for the same info?

Your best bet is to buy the phone you want from a 3rd party and have someone at a Sprint store set it up for your current account.

Even then, be aware that certain phones aren't allowed on the SERO plan such as the Pre or Instinct and maybe even some Blackberries.

On-line upgrades are dead, and I'm pretty sure you'd have to sweet-talk a CSR over the phone if you want to upgrade your plan through Sprint and keep the SERO plan.

Well I was able to renew for 2 more years and get the Touch Pro 2 today with no problem at all. The phone was still pretty expensive though. $599.99 - $200 for renewing - $100 MIR = $299.99. I asked about the rebate and was ensured I qualified. They also sold me a car charger for $15.99 and screen protectors for $9 (the screen protectors were kinda high but I figured Sprint probably needs the business). They didn't give me any hassle at all and I now have the $30 SERO plan for another 2 years! Has anyone upgraded the phone from WM 6.1 to 6.5? I found this link and it seems fairly easy..

http://www.htc.com/us/support/tou...downloads/

Anyone had experience with that? You can also dual boot with Android..

http://pocketnow.com/tweaks-hacks/how-to-dual-boot-windows-mobile-and-android

[quote name='Staind204']Well I was able to renew for 2 more years and get the Touch Pro 2 today with no problem at all. The phone was still pretty expensive though. $599.99 - $200 for renewing - $100 MIR = $299.99. I asked about the rebate and was ensured I qualified. They also sold me a car charger for $15.99 and screen protectors for $9 (the screen protectors were kinda high but I figured Sprint probably needs the business). They didn't give me any hassle at all and I now have the $30 SERO plan for another 2 years! Has anyone upgraded the phone from WM 6.1 to 6.5? I found this link and it seems fairly easy..

http://www.htc.com/us/support/tou...downloads/

Anyone had experience with that? You can also dual boot with Android..

http://pocketnow.com/tweaks-hacks/how-to-dual-boot-windows-mobile-and-android[/QUOTE]Did you renew over the phone or in a store? I need a new phone, but I've always assumed I'd have to switch plans if I wanted to get any sort of discount. I will definitely look into a new phone if I'm able to keep the $30 plan. My Palm Centro has some busted keys.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Did you renew over the phone or in a store? I need a new phone, but I've always assumed I'd have to switch plans if I wanted to get any sort of discount. I will definitely look into a new phone if I'm able to keep the $30 plan. My Palm Centro has some busted keys.[/QUOTE]

I'm on the $30 plan and renewed about a month ago. Got a Reclaim free, but the GPS on it worked for a couple days as a trial before it was locked out. And the Google Maps GPS doesn't work with it.

I actually renewed with a $50 credit that they mailed to me if I renewed by a certain date because I thought I couldn't get a phone, too. So I renewed with that first, then went through getting a new phone on the site and got that with the discount, too! Still only subscribed till 2012 despite renewing 2 years twice.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Did you renew over the phone or in a store? I need a new phone, but I've always assumed I'd have to switch plans if I wanted to get any sort of discount. I will definitely look into a new phone if I'm able to keep the $30 plan. My Palm Centro has some busted keys.[/QUOTE]

I had a Palm Centro too. Call 888-882-4030 and tell them you want to upgrade your phone and renew your SERO plan for 2 more years (assuming you are eligible, my contract ended in June so I was able to renew now). I was told the phones you can choose from without having to switch plans are the ones on the right of this PDF that say Smartphones $100 MIR (starts with the Blackberry Pearl 8130 and ends with Samsung Intrepred). From the info I've gathered the HTC Touch Pro II is the best phone you can have on the SERO plan. Here is the link for the PDF with the phone choices (remember only the ones on the right side under Smartphones $100 MIR).

http://www.nextel.com/assets/pdfs/en/promotions/eprp_mir_041710.pdf

Can anyone tell me what I'm supposed to put for the CID #? My fiance and I are looking to sign up for a new plan and this seems like the way to go, problem is I don't see anything in the OP about an employee number.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Can anyone tell me what I'm supposed to put for the CID #? My fiance and I are looking to sign up for a new plan and this seems like the way to go, problem is I don't see anything in the OP about an employee number.[/QUOTE]

The original SERO plan is pretty much dead for new subscribers. That link brings you to the newer Spring Everything Plus Referral offer. I don't know if anyone on CAG has the information to subscribe to it. You may actually have to know a sprint employee this time around.

My two year on SERO ends in about a month, and my Touch Pro is still going strong. I think I'll wait til a Windows 7 Series Phone comes out before getting a new phone from Sprint.

If you want to take part in the Sprint Everything Plus Referral offer:
[email protected] and the 3 digits you’ll need are 383

Thats taken from his blog so its ok to use. However, if you look on Slickdeals there is a way to get 25% employer discount off of a regular plan which works out to be a little cheaper.

And the TP2 is great on Sero!

[quote name='Staind204']I had a Palm Centro too. Call 888-882-4030 and tell them you want to upgrade your phone and renew your SERO plan for 2 more years (assuming you are eligible, my contract ended in June so I was able to renew now). I was told the phones you can choose from without having to switch plans are the ones on the right of this PDF that say Smartphones $100 MIR (starts with the Blackberry Pearl 8130 and ends with Samsung Intrepred). From the info I've gathered the HTC Touch Pro II is the best phone you can have on the SERO plan. Here is the link for the PDF with the phone choices (remember only the ones on the right side under Smartphones $100 MIR).

http://www.nextel.com/assets/pdfs/en/promotions/eprp_mir_041710.pdf[/QUOTE]This is very helpful, thanks!

I forget, what's the deal with BlackBerries? Don't they require a data plan on top of SERO or something? Or does SERO's free data take care of that?

[quote name='BustaUppa']This is very helpful, thanks!

I forget, what's the deal with BlackBerries? Don't they require a data plan on top of SERO or something? Or does SERO's free data take care of that?[/QUOTE]

BIS is an extra $10 a month.

[quote name='homeland']If you want to take part in the Sprint Everything Plus Referral offer:
[email protected] and the 3 digits you’ll need are 383

Thats taken from his blog so its ok to use. However, if you look on Slickdeals there is a way to get 25% employer discount off of a regular plan which works out to be a little cheaper.

And the TP2 is great on Sero![/QUOTE]Mind posting the link to that thread? Tried searching a bit on Slickdeals, but couldn't quite find it. My brother is most likely going to switch to Sprint soon.

[quote name='homeland']And the TP2 is great on Sero![/QUOTE]I've been looking into this. It's a hard sell for me since $300 would be, by far, the most I've ever spent on a phone. But the thing is damn pretty. Does it have any sort of free internet radio like the Palm Centro does? I actually ended up using that pretty often. I do see that Windows Mobile has this "Shazam" program that is a lot like the song ID feature on my old Verizon enV, which is a feature I've missed dearly. I get the impression that Windows Mobile is generally a much more active platform that PalmOS these days. Would you say that is the case? Anything in particular you find worth mentioning to really sell someone on the TP2? My two years is up in June, so now I'm starting to examine all my CERO-compatible options.

bread's done
Back