Severe shortage of rechargeable battery packs?

slickkill77

CAGiversary!
Feedback
78 (100%)
Is it just me or is there something going on with MS official rechargeable battery packs? I can't find them on Amazon other than in blue and I can't find them on Gamestop. This has been going on for weeks/months. Am I just not searching for the right thing or is MS making a new type of battery therefore waiting for all the old ones to sell out? Or do they just want people to buy new play and charge kits since they are only ~$11 more than the batteries by themselves

[quote name='Ziv']They've been discontinued for over a year.[/QUOTE]

This is true. The only way to get them now are in P&C and QC kits.

I'd recommend to just buy some eneloops and a good charger. They are far superior to the rechargeables that come in the packs. The nice thing about the eneloops is that they don't lose ther charge over time like cheaper NiMHs do. So even though they are typically rated lower than a standard NiMH, if you account for the loss you get in regular NiMHs you usually get more charge out of an eneloop.

I played through pretty much the entire game of Assassin's Creed 2 on one set of eneloops. They were pretty fresh when I started playing, and they ran out on like the 2nd to the last mission or something. And to add to that, I was playing through all the DLC as well as getting 100% completion + achievements- not just blasting through the levels.

[quote name='Ruahrc']I'd recommend to just buy some eneloops and a good charger. They are far superior to the rechargeables that come in the packs. The nice thing about the eneloops is that they don't lose ther charge over time like cheaper NiMHs do. So even though they are typically rated lower than a standard NiMH, if you account for the loss you get in regular NiMHs you usually get more charge out of an eneloop.

I played through pretty much the entire game of Assassin's Creed 2 on one set of eneloops. They were pretty fresh when I started playing, and they ran out on like the 2nd to the last mission or something. And to add to that, I was playing through all the DLC as well as getting 100% completion + achievements- not just blasting through the levels.[/QUOTE]

+1 for eneloops. I have a bunch of rechargeable 360 battery packs that won't hold a charge for longer than a couple of hours - while I'm not sure the eneloops won't degrade just as quickly, at least I can charge up a batch and throw them in a drawer knowing they'll work when I need them (as well as being able to use them for other things).

I just bought a few at a local game trade store. They're cheap there and the store backs the performance. Even if they don't last as long as a new pack, they're dirt cheap.

[quote name='Ruahrc']I'd recommend to just buy some eneloops and a good charger. They are far superior to the rechargeables that come in the packs. [/QUOTE]
I've been beatin' this drum for a long time. I just don't understand why anyone would buy those overpriced MS packs. They're junk.

The play-n-charge kits make even less sense. May as well buy a wired controller.

[quote name='MSUHitman']What are eneloops?[/QUOTE]

Brand of rechargeable batteries.

I'm not sure if they are any better than other batteries though. I have multiple sets of Eneloops and Energizers and I don't notice a difference in how long they last.

[quote name='MSUHitman']What are eneloops?[/QUOTE]Sanyo's brand of rechargeable batteries.

4-pack with charger:
http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Eneloop-Pre-Charged-Rechargable-Batteries/dp/B000IV0REA/

The main draw is that they have low discharge rates compared to other NiMH batteries, so if you charge them and leave them alone for months, they won't be dead when you go to use them. A little pricier than other branded rechargeable batteries, though I swear by them.

Anything that doesn't have a proprietary battery pack (PS3, I'm looking at you) in my house has Enerloops in them when the original alkaline batteries that came with them die off. I've used them in 360 controllers, Wiimotes, TV/AV remotes, clocks, just about anything with great results.

Well worth the money and I'm glad to be done with the 360's proprietary battery pack.

life.exe's comment about them being as good as Energizer batteries is what I've heard from multiple people on SD and other places, though I've heard that some Energizer rechargeables are Enerloops in disguise.

I would get a set of eneloops but I am still burning through a pack of 60 Rayovac AA's that I got around X-Mas time for $10. Pretty good deal lol. I have about 26 left.

[quote name='shrike4242']life.exe's comment about them being as good as Energizer batteries is what I've heard from multiple people on SD and other places, though I've heard that some Energizer rechargeables are Enerloops in disguise.[/QUOTE]

Those are the Duracells actually. If you buy the Duracell "Pre-charged" NiMH rechargeables and look on the packaging- if it says made in Japan, they are actually rebranded Eneloop batteries. It's also an indicator when you look at the top/bottom of the batteries, and see the classic eneloop "white" cell with a Duracell sticker covering it up. Some of the Duracell pre-charged batteries are not eneloops though. You know because they will say "made in China" and won't have the white color underneath the Duracell sticker.

In general all the "low self discharge" batteries perform pretty similar but there is a pretty comprehensive set of results on the candlepowerforums (best place for battery info IMO) which show that while the eneloops may not always have the highest capacity, they seem to pretty consistently have the highest operating voltage, and actually live up to their claims on discharge rates (or lack thereof). Some of the cheaper brands of LSD NiMHs have higher discharge rates but the eneloops hold to their claims (I think it's >75% remaining after 6 months?).

[quote name='dodgeme']I would get a set of eneloops but I am still burning through a pack of 60 Rayovac AA's that I got around X-Mas time for $10. Pretty good deal lol. I have about 26 left.[/QUOTE]

Hehe I did the same thing- ran down my stock of AA's I bought a couple years prior from Costco for a few months before finally picking up a set of 16 AA and 8 AAA eneloops. As the AA's I have installed in things I use run out (flashlights, remotes, etc) I will just swap them out with eneloops.

Just bought the enelop power pack from Amazon. Comes with the charger 8AAS, 2 AAAS, 4 C adapters and 4 D adapters. Looks like you just plug in a AA battery into the C or D adapter and your ready to go!

[quote name='nateeasy29']Just bought the enelop power pack from Amazon. Comes with the charger 8AAS, 2 AAAS, 4 C adapters and 4 D adapters. Looks like you just plug in a AA battery into the C or D adapter and your ready to go![/QUOTE]

sweet

bread's done
Back