Shadow Hearts: From the New World is out! Go get it you cheapasses, it's worth it!

[quote name='Gden']Are you sure you paid 51.30, because everything I've seen says its 39.99.[/QUOTE]

*sigh*

$39.99 + next day shipping.

I'll wait until this one drops in price... I got both Shadow Hearts and SH: Covenant each for under $15, one day I'll grab this one for cheap as well.

[quote name='Gden']Are you sure you paid 51.30, because everything I've seen says its 39.99.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got overnight shipping, but I just cancelled it, since the damn thing hasn't even shipped out yet, so I won't get it until Wednesday, and by that time, my local GS will have it anyways.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']7.8 on IGN... I'm still buying it.[/QUOTE]

All game review sites gave any non Final Fantasy RPG 7's, every time, espically IGN.

Well, except for DQ 8 and probably Kingdom Hearts 2 will get a 9 something.

[quote name='Roufuss']All game review sites gave any non Final Fantasy RPG 7's, every time, espically IGN.

Well, except for DQ 8 and probably Kingdom Hearts 2 will get a 9 something.[/QUOTE]

Well they did give SH:C a 9.1... I was expecting an 8 something... but the 7.8 doesn't bother me.

I like that the games so far are very subtlely linked. Alright, maybe not that subtlely, but there IS a link from 1/Covenant to FtNW besides the Emigre and Roger.

The whole reason the windows that Shania seeks and the Malice that powers Johnny exists is because Nicolai opened the door at the top of the tower in Covenant that let out some of the Malice in the world. Shania says at one point how it was about ten years ago when someone broke the seal and let a 1000 years of pent-up Malice upon the world, unleashing windows and such not.

So far I'm really enjoying it, and I love the cast, especially Frank. The man is totally Joachim Jr.

I love the game so far. I just got Riccardo. My only problem is that Johnny doesn't seem like much of a main character. The story seems much more focused on Shania. Of course that could change at any time.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I love the game so far. I just got Riccardo. My only problem is that Johnny doesn't seem like much of a main character. The story seems much more focused on Shania. Of course that could change at any time.[/QUOTE]

How's the encounter rate? Heard it was really high - at least for the Japanese version.

Actually I find it to be rather low when compared to other RPGs with random battles. I was playing Tales of Legendia before this, and it has far more random battles than SH3.

Encounter rate is a average when you're going through a dungeon the first time, but it seems like when you go back to a dungeon to catch a UMA or whatever, it drops off a lot. Plus, when the battle system is this fun, you welcome every single battle anyways.

[quote name='Ziv_Zulander']How badly would this game spoil SH:C for me? I never did end up beating it.[/quote]

From what I've played so far, not too much, considering this is a completely new story. As I mentioned before, there's only one spot that may be SLIGHTLY spoiled, and that's
if you haven't seen what Nicolai does at Aponia Tower yet.
Besides that, there's not been much in the way of Covenant spoilers.

On a different note, I just started Vegas, and damn if Lady and Killer aren't awesome. Such great villains.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Encounter rate is a average when you're going through a dungeon the first time, but it seems like when you go back to a dungeon to catch a UMA or whatever, it drops off a lot. Plus, when the battle system is this fun, you welcome every single battle anyways.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, the review of the Japanese version said the encounter rate was really high.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Just finished Vegas.. so far, the game is pretty good. Has nothing on SH:C, but I didn't think it would anyways.[/quote]

I don't know...So far I think I'm actually enjoying this more than Covenant. Sure, Johnny is no Yuri, but now that I have all 7 characters, there's not a single character I'd say I wouldn't want in my team, where in Covenant, Blanca and Gepetto just went to the bench once I got more people. I know most people disliked Lucia, but I found her oils to be awesome, especially the one that made everyone always crit.

I'm still debating whether or not it's better than SHC. I'm not making any calls until I finish it though. I'm at the Machu Pichu ruins currently. The lack of Yuri is noticeable though. He carried a lot of SHC with his relationship with Alice.

I do really like Killer and Lady. They're actually my favorite characters so far. Not only do I love their designs, they just come across as plain cool. Also is it just me or does Killer kind of remind you of Yuri? He even uses the same type of weapon.

where in Covenant, Blanca and Gepetto just went to the bench once I got more people.
Gepetto I understand, but Blanca is like the best character in the game, battle wise, when you finish all the Wolf Bouts.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I'm still debating whether or not it's better than SHC. I'm not making any calls until I finish it though. I'm at the Machu Pichu ruins currently. The lack of Yuri is noticeable though. He carried a lot of SHC with his relationship with Alice.

I do really like Killer and Lady. They're actually my favorite characters so far. Not only do I love their designs, they just come across as plain cool. Also is it just me or does Killer kind of remind you of Yuri? He even uses the same type of weapon.

Gepetto I understand, but Blanca is like the best character in the game, battle wise, when you finish all the Wolf Bouts.[/quote]
Yeah. I'm not gonna make a call till I finish FtNW, but so far I'm enjoying it more than SHC. As for my Covenant party, I much preferred the party of Yuri, Joachim, Kurando, and Lucia. Lucia would buff everyone with her oils and Yuri and Kurando would have Mind's Eyes equipped, making for some dead monsters. I also never used Anastasia.

As for the Killer/Yuri thing, I think they just used Yuri's character design for Killer. I know when the game hadn't come out, I was very big on a theory that Yuri and Killer were in fact the same character, but that was quickly debunked when the game came out in Japan.

I think I used Yuri, Joachim, Kurando and Karin for my party.

As far as FTNW, I have been using everyone, still trying to find out who can do what the best. But if I had to come up with a stud party, and not have to worry about getting Cat Coins or Snap cards, I would probably take Ricardo, Natan, Shania and Johnny.

My party is Ricardo, Shania, Johnny and Hilda. Ricardo has some really good effects with those serenatas, Shania for the fusions, Slim Hilda is the best mage in the game, and Johnny's speed makes him a good support character.

The party I've been using most of the time right now is Ricardo, Johnny, Shania and Frank. I love Frank solely for the hilarity he brings. Though honestly I just flip through all the characters. Ricardo's Serenatas remind me a lot of Lucia's oils, which I abused back in Covenant. Hilda right now is in fat form, since I

[quote name='karsh']The party I've been using most of the time right now is Ricardo, Johnny, Shania and Frank. I love Frank solely for the hilarity he brings. Though honestly I just flip through all the characters. Ricardo's Serenatas remind me a lot of Lucia's oils, which I abused back in Covenant. Hilda right now is in fat form, since I

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']But she beat The Meowmenator!

Anyone else think the Cat Director bears a striking resemblance to George Lucas?[/quote]

LOL

That's who I decided he was.

And now I'm mad at this game for a bit. Thought I was on the save point and just sorta went on auto and went to where I thought save would be without looking at the screen....It was on load...Just lost 2+ hours where I did TONS of side shit, like Lovecraft's stupid lessons, tons of snap card trading, got a new muse item for Ricardo...Got a new move for Frank. This sucks.

[quote name='karsh']Just lost 2+ hours where I did TONS of side shit, like Lovecraft's stupid lessons, tons of snap card trading, got a new muse item for Ricardo...Got a new move for Frank. This sucks.[/QUOTE]

Sucks, man. I hate it when I do stuff like that or think I'm the sh!t and don't save before a boss, only to die a horribly upsetting death. #-o

That's why I save on an obscenly regular basis. Anytime I pass a save point, no matter where I am, I save.

And where exactly does Frank learn his new moves? SPOILER BELOW

I'm in Machu Picchu, about to fight the boss, and he still only has his incredibly useless Ninja Star move.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']That's why I save on an obscenly regular basis. Anytime I pass a save point, no matter where I am, I save.

And where exactly does Frank learn his new moves? SPOILER BELOW

I'm in Machu Picchu, about to fight the boss, and he still only has his incredibly useless Ninja Star move.[/quote]

Yeah...I hadn't actually seen a save point until I got back to Machu Picchu that two and a half hours later. I may have "seen" them, but didn't actually see it.

As for Frank's moves, you get his moves by helping the pink ninja Britney. The first one is in Roswell when you have to find an atomic bomb for her. The second one is outside of Vegas once you beat the boss in there. Look outside and Britney will be waiting and you have to play ninja shell game.

I have been thinking about getting this and I have a question for everyone who has this game. I really liked Shadow Hearts: Covenant. Will I enjoy this new sequel as much? Also I haven't played the first one yet, I picked up a cheap used copy of it over the weekend.

[quote name='asianxcore']I have been thinking about getting this and I have a question for everyone who has this game. I really liked Shadow Hearts: Covenant. Will I enjoy this new sequel as much? Also I haven't played the first one yet, I picked up a cheap used copy of it over the weekend.[/QUOTE]
Yes, yes you will.

I don't know if I'd say you'd enjoy it just as much. You'll definitely love it, but I don't think as much as SHC.

One of my favorite things about the last game was the Yuri/Alice relationship. There's nothing even close to that in this one. While the characters in SH3 are all likeable, I just don't feel as connected to them. We don't get a whole lot of backstory on them at all. Just not fleshed out enough. I'll admit that Yuri had a lot of help since SHC directly followed SH1, but we still got to know a lot about him. His father, his mother, his love for Alice, the regret he felt at having to deal with kato etc.

SH3 has nowhere near that amount of characterization. Once again, this could change before the game ends, but I just finished the Vilicamba (sp?) ruins, and I don't think there's very much left. At least not enough to go very deeply into anyone's personality. We shall see though.

I'm personally enjoying it as much as Covenant, solely because the thing that made me love Covenant were the sorta insane personalities and the humor they brought. Johnny is easily carrying over the humor Yuri used to bring out, which was partially what I worried about. Sure, there's no one who is as in depth as Yuri, but I think we still know enough about most of the characters. And the humor and personalities definitely carried over into FtNW.

Well, I finally got my pre-order from gamestop.com...except the bastards didn't send me the bonus Shadow Hearts, even though their website says it shipped in the same package. PISSED.

i got tons of free rental coupons from hollywood video im using nad they just got the game in today... I will just keep renting it till i beat it... I would of played the hell out of it tonight BUT with the basketball games i would rather watch the games then play the PS2

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']It's harder than Covenant, but it never gets hard. Still an easy series.[/QUOTE]

I take it you haven't fought the Doll House boss yet?

i spoke too soon... seems i ran into the first boss and i was way under level or something cause i got my ass kicked... i was down to my final person with 15 hp left and beat the boss....

still love the game it reminds me of FF7

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I take it you haven't fought the Doll House boss yet?[/QUOTE]
Completely finished it. All sidequests as well. Still an easy series compared to other games I've played.

never play this game right before you go to bed and you got a fever..... i played it to 2am last night work up around 4am sick as hell . had a nightmare that big giant cat was chasing me LOL

I love my new found team right now. Johnny, Shania, Ricardo, and Natan. Natan has the Demon Earrings on, and all four have their max attacks. They just rape everything. And when boss time comes, Slim Mask comes in for either Ricardo or Natan.

[quote name='karsh']I love my new found team right now. Johnny, Shania, Ricardo, and Natan. Natan has the Demon Earrings on, and all four have their max attacks. They just rape everything. And when boss time comes, Slim Mask comes in for either Ricardo or Natan.[/QUOTE]
That's the same party I use, and I also have the Demon Earrings on Natan, and a Mind's Eye on Shania. They both pound ass. I also have Ricardo use the 750 MP Serenata that gives everyone a 3rd key attack. Too bad that doesn't exactly work on EVERY boss ;)

[quote name='defiance_17']Well, I finally got my pre-order from gamestop.com...except the bastards didn't send me the bonus Shadow Hearts, even though their website says it shipped in the same package. PISSED.[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me, so I called them up and they sent another which I received yesterday. The guy on the phone said a lot of them went out without the free game.

bread's done
Back