Shadowrun should I buy it?

Lonedragon87

CAGiversary!
Saw shadowrun for 360 for 5 bucks wondering to pick it up. Do people still play it? Is the game only online mostly? I am going to read about it on ign and other sites but also like hearing fellow CAGs opinions.

It is online only. Unless you have a lot of friends you can play with, I would pass on getting it, even at $5. You'll have a fairly hard time finding games, and the ones that do play it are people who used to be on the pro circuit for it and are insanely good at it.

ah thanks might stay away mostly a single player gamer but love games with bots sometime for splitscreen co-op like perfect dark but looks like game is just online think i will leave it alone then

Neat game, had a good concept just wasn't executed as well as i hoped. No idea what online is like now but it wouldn't be the worst pick up for a couple bucks. I'd suggest you and a friend both pick it up and give it a shot online.

which would work but none of my friends would be ok with buying it and one would be ok with playing it if i grab 2 copies

[quote name='MSUHitman']It is online only. Unless you have a lot of friends you can play with, I would pass on getting it, even at $5. You'll have a fairly hard time finding games, and the ones that do play it are people who used to be on the pro circuit for it and are insanely good at it.[/QUOTE]

Please, ignore him.

I've played Shadowrun since day one. Not once in the last 3 years have I ever had a problem finding a match, NOT ONCE. The community is not as big as it used to be, but there are at least 25+ matches occurring at any given hour.

It is an online game, but you'll find the community to be friendly for the most part. I enjoy Halo and COD, but people that play Shadowrun are generally team oriented and you should hear very little from little kids that mouth off like COD of Halo. You don't need friends, just jump online and find a group of people playing. I don't play with friends often because I tend to play at odd hours, so I rely on the community to play with. I almost never have problems finding people who want to play as a team.

There are some really good players, but the game uses a karma system to balance teams who are losing. There are also a lot of new players like yourself, so don't feel like you'll get owned online. The game has a deep learning curve, so it takes time to get used to. It is also a very deep game that won't be as easy as COD when you first start. You'll need to play with the various races and builds to find the right one for you. Every build has a counter, you just need to sink some time into the game to learn what works best for you.

Good luck, this game is sadly one of the most overlooked game on 360. But for $5 you can't go wrong.

[quote name='horns456']Please, ignore him.

I've played Shadowrun since day one. Not once in the last 3 years have I ever had a problem finding a match, NOT ONCE. The community is not as big as it used to be, but there are at least 25+ matches occurring at any given hour.

It is an online game, but you'll find the community to be friendly for the most part. I enjoy Halo and COD, but people that play Shadowrun are generally team oriented and you should hear very little from little kids that mouth off like COD of Halo. You don't need friends, just jump online and find a group of people playing. I don't play with friends often because I tend to play at odd hours, so I rely on the community to play with. I almost never have problems finding people who want to play as a team.

There are some really good players, but the game uses a karma system to balance teams who are losing. There are also a lot of new players like yourself, so don't feel like you'll get owned online. The game has a deep learning curve, so it takes time to get used to. It is also a very deep game that won't be as easy as COD when you first start. You'll need to play with the various races and builds to find the right one for you. Every build has a counter, you just need to sink some time into the game to learn what works best for you.

Good luck, this game is sadly one of the most overlooked game on 360. But for $5 you can't go wrong.[/QUOTE]

^ I second this. I picked it up back on release date years ago and had a blast with it. I stopped playing for about 2 years and then some friends picked it up and we were all surprised to find that a lot of people still play it. For 5 bucks I would say it is worth it. The offline mode (you/team of AI vs bots) is actually a lot of fun. If you are looking for an online feel offline, this is a great game to have.

Also, the powers and all that stuff are awesome!

Good luck, this game is sadly one of the most overlooked game on 360. But for $5 you can't go wrong.[/QUOTE]
I "third" this...

[quote name='force_assassin']^ I second this. I picked it up back on release date years ago and had a blast with it. I stopped playing for about 2 years and then some friends picked it up and we were all surprised to find that a lot of people still play it. For 5 bucks I would say it is worth it. The offline mode (you/team of AI vs bots) is actually a lot of fun. If you are looking for an online feel offline, this is a great game to have.

Also, the powers and all that stuff are awesome![/QUOTE]
...and second this.

Game is great. I bought it on launch date, and LOVED it. So much fun. Even playing against Bots is fun.
I also agree this game was vastly overlooked. This and Team Fortress 2 were 2 games that I thought were too much fun online, but most people stuck with Halo/GoW/COD. But this game is a blast.

I'd be up for playing some online with you sometime, shoot me a friend request.

Yeah, I basically purchased the game because Horns (who's on my XBL friends list) was playing it so much. I tried the demo and really enjoyed it. I actually haven't played my Shadowrun disc yet. I want to play with Horns, but I'm scared I'm going to get crushed (he's 1000'd the darn thing).

With all that said, I'll probably play some Shadowrun tonight - finally. I'm actually looking forward to it. To anyone who's up for playing tonight (especially those that are new to the game, like me) feel free to send me an invite. We can learn together. ;)

[quote name='DrumsVocalsKeys']Yeah, I basically purchased the game because Horns (who's on my XBL friends list) was playing it so much. I tried the demo and really enjoyed it. I actually haven't played my Shadowrun disc yet. I want to play with Horns, but I'm scared I'm going to get crushed (he's 1000'd the darn thing).

With all that said, I'll probably play some Shadowrun tonight - finally. I'm actually looking forward to it. To anyone who's up for playing tonight (especially those that are new to the game, like me) feel free to send me an invite. We can learn together. ;)[/QUOTE]

Nice, I didn't know you bought it. I'll be on later this evening with another friend who just bought the game yesterday. Come join us.

Alright all this talk has got me exited, I'm gonna have to go buy back my copy from gamestop today. Shoot me a friend request if you guys need another.

To each their own opinion but my impressions come from when all of the Ragtag CAG's (about 15 of us) bought the game about this time last year. We play mainly at night (anywhere from 7 p.m.- 2 a.m. central) and we would almost always get matched up against people that were way better than us, and our group has a bunch of players that play CoD at a semi-pro level.

The most fun we had with the game was when we did private matches. Also in all the public matches we played, very few people not in our party talked, and the ones that did only made remarks to the girl in our group. We also couldn't find more than 1-2 different public matches at any time we were playing.

It's a fun game for $5-$10, but in my experience, it was best to have numerous friends playing it vs. relying on public matches.

[quote name='horns456']Nice, I didn't know you bought it. I'll be on later this evening with another friend who just bought the game yesterday. Come join us.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have about 80+ games and have only opened about 40 of them. I'm definitely down. I really like the concept of the game - magic, teleportation, hovering, guns...I'm really going to have fun losing tonight. :lol:

[quote name='DrumsVocalsKeys']Yeah, I have about 80+ games and have only opened about 40 of them. I'm definitely down. I really like the concept of the game - magic, teleportation, hovering, guns...I'm really going to have fun losing tonight. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Sweet, I'll be on tonight. It's a team game, so long as your team is trying losing can be fun. We need to discuss some trades anyway.

I seriously love this game, I still occasionally get my friends on it too - this is one of the most under-rated 360 titles. Critics bashed it for being multiplayer only, which is mostly is, but if they had put more than 2 hours into the title they would have realized just how deep the game is.

Microsoft shut this studio down 3 months after the game was released - I mean, really? Didn't even give it a chance.

That said, go pick it up, it's a steal @ $5. If anyone wants to, shoot me a FR on XBL and let me know that you sent in in regards to Shadowrun. I'm an Ambassador and frequently get FR's from people pretty randomly.

I got it a while ago and there was a bunch of people playing it. I think I'm gonna play it right now, nothing else to play just yet.

Microsoft did not shut down the studio by the way. Shadowrun was made by Fasa who just made Darkvoid.

[quote name='microcuts777']I seriously love this game, I still occasionally get my friends on it too - this is one of the most under-rated 360 titles. Critics bashed it for being multiplayer only, which is mostly is, but if they had put more than 2 hours into the title they would have realized just how deep the game is.

Microsoft shut this studio down 3 months after the game was released - I mean, really? Didn't even give it a chance.

That said, go pick it up, it's a steal @ $5. If anyone wants to, shoot me a FR on XBL and let me know that you sent in in regards to Shadowrun. I'm an Ambassador and frequently get FR's from people pretty randomly.[/QUOTE]
I always found it hilarious when people would bash this game for being multiplayer only, and then I would see them online playing COD4 multiplayer, never even touching the SP.
Not saying the MP is as good as COD4. But it's a breath of fresh air, something different and new, and worth playing for sure.

Start up a CAG Shadowrun group if there isn't one already, and by the looks of it you'll be ok having people to play with.

This is a cult classic, when it comes to online gaming. Few know about it or have the patience to get through the fairly high learning curve (the tutorials are a MUST...and I mean that), but once you do it offers some of the best online play you'll find.

Just know that even though the graphics and animations aren't up to par with other games, the play balance and depth of gameplay is really second to none. Why Microsoft abandoned this game like they did (forcing it out the door and closing the dev) just stumps me.

you guys want to start a CAG group we could start friday night for sure sounds like great fun just send me a request will accept and be getting this tomorrow

Wow this thread was just started today and it's gotten all these replies, didn't know there were so many fans. I got it for PC for like $9, and it was fun for a while. Since this is one of the few PC-360 cross platform games, if anyone wants you can add me at Lord Mooseifer so we can play sometime.

[quote name='Puffa469']For $5 pick up several copies and give them to the friends you want to play with.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I did. I also have never had a problem finding a game. I even play at 6 am cst and there is at least a full game. I do notice the same gamertags a lot though. I bought it for 10 and don't regret it.

Been playing for the last hour or so, and I must say, I enjoyed it. I was definitely the n00b of the group, but people didn't seem to mind too much.

Thanks to HoRns for showing me how to play!

I'd say save your $5 and get Shadowrun for the Sega Genesis on ebay instead. That game was and still is one of the best action rpgs.

The 360 version was utter garbage though.

Great games, but I think we lost everyone of them last night.

[quote name='Bob A. Booey']Gonna pick this up for the pc. The SNES version is one of my all time favorites and I forgot about this one.[/QUOTE]

You might want to throw out those old school expectations. Besides the name, the 360 version has almost nothing in common with the old versions.

I used to play at launch date for awhile then it faded out with cod4 and other games that followed. I have 3 people on my friends list who still play it online and say they don't take long to find a match and there are usually people playing it online. Don't forget, this is a in which pc and xbox 360 users can both play together and there are achievements for that as well. I'd get it for $5 if I were you.

[quote name='DcupsOfJustice']Microsoft did not shut down the studio by the way. Shadowrun was made by Fasa who just made Darkvoid.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Microsoft did shut down FASA.

Details:

Release of Shadowrun in NA: May 29, 2007

Wiki quote: "FASA was officially shutdown on September 12, 2007 with only the Community Manager and Technical Support Manager positions remaining active to support their games."

(I was off, it only took them 4 months to shut down the studio, not 6.)

The studio head at FASA created a new studio called "Smith & Tinker" http://www.smithandtinker.com/ which hasn't done much since.

The game that you mention, Dark Void, was made by "Airtight Games" which DOES have members from the FASA team, but isn't under Microsoft's umbrella of companies like FASA was. Part of the FASA team was hired at Airtight after FASA closed.

Anyhow - Shadowrun is a deep game that required too much learning so critics were pissy with it. It's a damn shame.

bread's done
Back