Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero (PS4, Vita & Wii U) - $29.99 at Gamestop, Amazon & BestBuy

So caught up in the hype and never even played the previous game... in for one on PS VITA. :wall:  Thanks OP and others for posting.

The 3DS wouldn't be able to handle this game. While the other games were made with Nintendo portables in mind, this game is made with HD in mind. If they did eventually make it for the 3DS, they would need to heavily downgrade the visuals.
Eh, the 3DS would be able to handle the game. The devs just aren't tallented enough or are too lazy to code up a more efficient engine to use and to compress the graphics a little. The original Shantae was a work of art due in great part to the devs coding to eek out every ounce of power from the GBC. They didn't let the hardware limits stop them. If they downgraded the visuals, on the smaller screen with pixels closer together... it would still look quite excellent. I mean we have the other games in the series to prove that they can do some nice graphics even with the limits of the DSi and 3DS.

But they made their collective minds up... so no Shantae for 3DS. At least we get a Vita version, I don't mind buying it at all because to me (someone that bought the GBC game at launch) this series is a portable series first and that's how I prefer to play it.

The 3DS wouldn't be able to handle this game. While the other games were made with Nintendo portables in mind, this game is made with HD in mind. If they did eventually make it for the 3DS, they would need to heavily downgrade the visuals.
Oh, really? Well that changes things. Usually it was the other way around & they looked horrible on console. I still like he 3d, but if they can make it look like a modern game without the sprites, I'd be interested. Wayforward usually just keeps recycling assets, so I certainly didn't expect new art.

Eh, the 3DS would be able to handle the game. The devs just aren't tallented enough or are too lazy to code up a more efficient engine to use and to compress the graphics a little. The original Shantae was a work of art due in great part to the devs coding to eek out every ounce of power from the GBC. They didn't let the hardware limits stop them. If they downgraded the visuals, on the smaller screen with pixels closer together... it would still look quite excellent. I mean we have the other games in the series to prove that they can do some nice graphics even with the limits of the DSi and 3DS.

But they made their collective minds up... so no Shantae for 3DS. At least we get a Vita version, I don't mind buying it at all because to me (someone that bought the GBC game at launch) this series is a portable series first and that's how I prefer to play it.
I agree that I believe the game would absolutely work on 3DS. It could always show up in the eShop in the future too, just because they aren't doing it now doesn't mean it won't eventually happen. I ordered a Vita copy myself, can't wait to get my hands on the game.

I haven't seen it, so I can't agree or disagree, but I'm inclined to believe they can do any game on the 3ds. Street Fighter 4 & RE Revelations looked amazing. Too many examples, but they COULD make a version that looked great on the 3ds I imagine. With limited resources & Wayforward's reuse of all old assets over & over, that seems to prevent them from going that route without breaking out of the mold they've enveloped themselves in since I've played their games. PSP was my 1st handheld, hated it. 3DS 2nd, love it. Vita 3rd, only use it for Persona 4, but have kept it for remote play. I have yet to use remote play for ps4 since my 3DS is right there when I lay down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a $30 buy? I mean, is it going to run out of stock before the price can drop? I thought Shovel Knight would have a limited run, but its price dropped soon after launch.

My response was poorly worded, but you're correct. They would be able to get the game running on the 3DS by degrading it but I think you're simplifying things a bit too much. It would end up looking more like Pirate's Curse, which would require a lot of re-tooling. It's not just the visual but her animations are ridiculously smooth in this game.

And I completely disagree with Wayforward being "not talented enough" and "too lazy". They've made some bad games, sure, but Shantae is their key franchise and the series has been the some of the most visually stunning for the consoles/period they were released on (not to mention some of the best gameplay). I feel like this game is their idea of what a console version of Shantae would look like, something they can at least come close to the Vita but not the 3DS.

With all of that said though, it is surprising the game isn't getting a 3DS release, given how much success they've had on Nintendo portables. I'd wager there are other factors in play here...

Is this a $30 buy? I mean, is it going to run out of stock before the price can drop? I thought Shovel Knight would have a limited run, but its price dropped soon after launch.
For Vita I think it will be fairly limited, but PS4 and Wii U will likely be easier to find, I don't know how much of a price drop to expect though. $30 is pretty cheap for a physical copy IMO. Digital copies will likely be less too.

For Vita I think it will be fairly limited, but PS4 and Wii U will likely be easier to find, I don't know how much of a price drop to expect though. $30 is pretty cheap for a physical copy IMO. Digital copies will likely be less too.
Vita will be rare. Wii u will be around little longer and PS4 will be forever. Vita will be hot selling out of 3 on pre-order and hope they print more copies for vita. You can easy get PS4 version under $20 or less around black friday ;)

Vita will be rare. Wii u will be around little longer and PS4 will be forever. Vita will be hot selling out of 3 on pre-order and hope they print more copies for vita. You can easy get PS4 version under $20 or less around black friday ;)
PS4 and Wii U probably, but if you want Vita it's best to pre-order it now. Vita games are just going to continue to get harder and hard to find physical copies. The only store around me that really carries them anymore is Gamestop aside from a few smaller stores that carry used games.

Preordered the Vita version at AMZ, would have prefered BBY though. If it comes to BBY somebody please bump the thread.

I have no idea what the game is though, family was too poor to buy me a GB when I was a kid. But I preorder any Vita game that looks remotely interesting on the Vita...

Preordered the Vita version at AMZ, would have prefered BBY though. If it comes to BBY somebody please bump the thread.

I have no idea what the game is though, family was too poor to buy me a GB when I was a kid. But I preorder any Vita game that looks remotely interesting on the Vita...
If Squarehard is recommending it on the Vita, even if it's just for a physical release, assume it's worth the money.

This game is look good, play good and way better than any Limited Run Game. If you have Prime your price is lower than any Limited Run Game. :)

This game is look good, play good and way better than any Limited Run Game. If you have Prime your price is lower than any Limited Run Game. :)
I do have Prime. I stayed far, far away from LRG despite being a loyal Vita fan, and despite the heated discussions in the Vita thread. Definitely don't want to go down that rabbit hole when I don't have much spare change to begin with....

I do have Prime. I stayed far, far away from LRG despite being a loyal Vita fan, and despite the heated discussions in the Vita thread. Definitely don't want to go down that rabbit hole when I don't have much spare change to begin with....
Wise move, I got in with the 2nd release, Saturday Morning RPG, and have ordered everything they have done for Vita since. I'm glad to have them, but I am going for a complete NA Vita collection and know this will be my cheapest way to get these particular games.

I have no idea what the game is though
Do you know what metroidvania games are? That's the easiest answer. If you know old sega stuff, the Monster World series also applies. That's the genre. So they typically are an open platform world with backtracking, path limits based on abilities, enemies to battle along the way that typically drop stuff, and of course some big bosses to defeat. So if you've played any of the non-linear Castlevania games, Metroid, or Monster World... and you enjoyed them... then this is definitely something not to miss. If you are still confused on what the genre is then google metroidvania. There are a bunch of sites that cover the genre and more than likely you've already played a few games in the genre.

So, it sounds like I should pre-order this on Vita if I want it and pick up PS4 on the cheaper?
Yes, the Vita edition is almost certainly going to get the lowest print run. Possible consideration should probably be given to the Wii U edition. The PS4 edition will almost certainly get the broadest print run.

Personally, I've always been a big fan of WayForward as a studio. They've developed a lot of great 2D-focused games over the years. When I hear that they are putting out a new title I usually reach for my wallet. They were the company that produced the Boy and His Blob re-make, the Batman: Brave and the Bold game for the Wii and 3DS, and numerous other high-quality 2D-focused titles. And of course, Shantae.

I already have the Vita version pre-ordered, and I'm seriously considering pre-ordering a copy for either the Wii U or PS4 as well. (for that sweet full-1080p goodness)

Yes, the Vita edition is almost certainly going to get the lowest print run. Possible consideration should probably be given to the Wii U edition. The PS4 edition will almost certainly get the broadest print run.

Personally, I've always been a big fan of WayForward as a studio. They've developed a lot of great 2D-focused games over the years. When I hear that they are putting out a new title I usually reach for my wallet. They were the company that produced the Boy and His Blob re-make, the Batman: Brave and the Bold game for the Wii and 3DS, and numerous other high-quality 2D-focused titles. And of course, Shantae.

I already have the Vita version pre-ordered, and I'm seriously considering pre-ordering a copy for either the Wii U or PS4 as well. (for that sweet full-1080p goodness)
Damn it, now you're making me think about a PS4 copy as well. :wall:

I think everyone should order extra vita copies from Best Buy and return them so we can rebuild their vita section. We can do this guys!!

I'm not getting it because it's going to be limited though. I'm just getting it because it's going to be fun, and a great game. :p
I'm getting it too, I backed the game. The demos so far have been fantastic. I'm just curious as to whether or not I should pick up the physical release now or wait on it, especially since I got a digital copy of the game coming.

I'm getting it too, I backed the game. The demos so far have been fantastic. I'm just curious as to whether or not I should pick up the physical release now or wait on it, especially since I got a digital copy of the game coming.
Their past record with first print runs have been fairly limited.

The recent LEs are kind of a different story because they're the only versions that's been released, but Shinovi Versus was a low print as well.

The previous first print runs with soundtrack only have been fairly limited, and have sold out.

I guess it just depends on what trend you feel Xseed will take with this one since it's not really an LE print. If you feel that they'll treat it like the recent LEs, then maybe it will be a bigger print.

This is also one of their lower priced releases lately, so it may actually sell better than some of the other titles that were released as an LE, at the LE price.

*shrug* :D

Just chiming in to say that I don't think with Xseed's current track record that this will be rare or valuable on any platform. With how expensive Shantae on GBC is, people are going to be speculating on this game and buying multiple copies to keep sealed. Ultimately, that just means the value won't rise much. The original Shantae is worth money for a variety of reasons - notably, no one was speculating on copies of it. It was a high quality game, a brand new IP, and one of the final releases on a dying platform. Couple those with a very low print run and you've got a recipe for an expensive game. The games from this generation that will be rare and valuable will be the ones that fly under the radar.

Anyone speculating on this is probably going to end up feeling burned when it goes on sale in the future. Buy the game because you want it, not because you want something rare and valuable.

Anyone speculating on this is probably going to end up feeling burned when it goes on sale in the future. Buy the game because you want it, not because you want something rare and valuable.
That's the plan for me. I have most of WayForward's games, and have a lot of faith in them as a developer. I don't mind pre-ordering this title based on my confidence in their past work. I don't speculate anyway. I'm a collector. I've never flipped a game, and have no intention to start now.

I want Half-Genie Hero. It's looking to be a solid entry in an appealing franchise.

Just chiming in to say that I don't think with Xseed's current track record that this will be rare or valuable on any platform. With how expensive Shantae on GBC is, people are going to be speculating on this game and buying multiple copies to keep sealed. Ultimately, that just means the value won't rise much. The original Shantae is worth money for a variety of reasons - notably, no one was speculating on copies of it. It was a high quality game, a brand new IP, and one of the final releases on a dying platform. Couple those with a very low print run and you've got a recipe for an expensive game. The games from this generation that will be rare and valuable will be the ones that fly under the radar.

This guy gets it. I have to explain this all the time to people who try to trade in stuff at our store they're expecting hundreds for (because they saw some dude selling OOT once for $150 on amazon) that the basic shorthand for what appreciates like that comes down to two cases-- 1) the really good games that nobody buys (stuff with low printings, dedicated niche audiences, games near the end of a console) or 2) things with a story behind the production (think like MvC2 how production was stopped before the game had a healthy shelf-life and could never be printed again). I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the value of a lot of recent "collectors" games will be wrecked in the next decade because of people buying up readily available copies without letting any demand for them develop.

I still find it hard to believe that Shantae will have a very big print run on the Vita in NA. I doubt that they will produce a lot of copies, when retail distribution if Vita games is almost nonexistent. That leaves only GS as the retail seller, with the rest of sales being online only. BB will get a small number of copies, then immediately sell out (they are stocking far less copies of more obscure games), which leaves Amazon and maybe one or two other online retailers to sell the game. I'm getting the Vita version as soon as it goes up on BB, may get the PS4 version later.

I still find it hard to believe that Shantae will have a very big print run on the Vita in NA. I doubt that they will produce a lot of copies, when retail distribution if Vita games is almost nonexistent. That leaves only GS as the retail seller, with the rest of sales being online only. BB will get a small number of copies, then immediately sell out (they are stocking far less copies of more obscure games), which leaves Amazon and maybe one or two other online retailers to sell the game. I'm getting the Vita version as soon as it goes up on BB, may get the PS4 version later.
This I think it a lot more realistic. The Vita's library/history is pretty much the trappings for a future collector's item in the making. Somewhere in the past few years I think a LOT of people suddenly realized this and have been buying up physical vita games like the apocalypse is coming. Only difference being that a lot of those games GENUINELY have super small printings to meet the already microscopic demand

And the funny thing is, a lot of niche publishers have realized this and seem to be releasing Vita games in very small batches these days.

Yeah that is one of the games that changed my September game purchasing plans. That, and River City Tokyo Rumble. I wasn't aware of the Amazon listing. Awesome. Now just need River City to pop up.

All this "it's a great platformer" and "possibly limited run of the Vita version" talk made me pre-order it on Amazon. The Prime discount and release date delivery sure did help. Looks like I get a soundtrack too. Not a bad deal.

I sure hope it's good. It looks like its a fun game.

bread's done
Back