Shopping Morality Thread

[quote name='contej85']You're an idiot.

Moron.[/quote]

You have to love it when people start calling other people idiots and morons for stating their points of view. The classic "you are an idiot" because I do not agree with you.

At least I have class and I do not call people idiots and morons if I do not agree with them.

[quote name='Trakan']I did use Google Checkout a few different times, but I did not 'brag' about it. Once they told me that they canceled an order, I stopped using it.[/quote]

Come on man, can't you read that the $10 off is for the first time purchase only? you knew better and you knew that a 2nd and 3rd time using this discount was fraud...

This is no different than scamming wal-mart, both of them are frauds...

[quote name='mikej012']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3310728#post3310728

But now in this thread, it's "Don't tell me I'm not supposed to defraud Google! You're not my mommy! Freedom of speech!"

So which is it? Should we deride those who talk out against fraud (as you have), or should we join their ranks (as you now have done)? If you want to argue a point, fine, but figure out what the fuck you're trying to argue so you at least make sense.[/quote]

Dude, what are you talking about? I have no idea what the hell you are saying...:bomb:

[quote name='oasisboy']You have to love it when people start calling other people idiots and morons for stating their points of view. The classic "you are an idiot" because I do not agree with you.

At least I have class and I do not call people idiots and morons if I do not agree with them.[/quote]

First you tried to argue "but what about freedom of speech", obviously knowing nothing of what your right to "freedom of speech" entails. Then you tried to say that a meesage board is exactly where one should have free speech, when in fact a privately owned website is exactly where you have NO right to freedom of speech. Your opinions make no sense, and are a detriment to the community. That is all.

doesn't this thread contadict the tropicana thread where it says do not talk about return fraud?

if a person has no conscience then they can return or what they will and talk about but y et it is frowned upon once someone does it i am confused on this now

someone please explain

LOL Whitedeath, cmon now, you've been a member here longer than me and you should know by now that it's selective policing of tactics. Return fraud is barred from being talked about under ANY circumstances, yet 'getting in on a glitch' that may make a game or three free when they're not supposed to be is ok to talk about.

Notice a double standard there? Both are taking advantage of the system, but in a different manner, yet only ONE is banned from conversation.

There's many great CAGs on here, I've dealt with a bunch of them, but for every great member, there's more and more who follow the SD/FW mantra of 'price gouge until someone cries foul'.

That's to be expected whenever any deal site grows though, which makes it all the more important to be selective in who you help. I prefer to keep to the CAGs I've dealt with already, since all of them are great and have helped me find deals when I thought none existed.

I just wish the selective policing of banned topics would cover some other things which are wrong, but aren't looked upon as as wrong as something like return fraud.

When the stores screw up on prices, they suffer, not the game publishers, so fuck em. They have plenty of money. Who cares if walmart or best buy end up losing thousands of dollars? in the longrun, that's nothing to them.

Well, when your favorite target to grab these 'screw ups' from goes under from taking too many hits that're 'nothing to them' and their competitors no longer have them to worry about, don't come on here crying that 'best buy hasn't dropped a game price since (store name) went under'. Waaaaahhhhh.

Honestly, it's just as wrong in my opinion as return fraud, yet it's not as looked down upon since people view it as 'just another way to get a deal'.

Yet, what if this was a mom or pop store who had a screw up on price and has more to lose than the big boys, would anyone take full advantage then? If so, then don't cry when they're outta biz too.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Yet, what if this was a mom or pop store who had a screw up on price and has more to lose than the big boys, would anyone take full advantage then? If so, then don't cry when they're outta biz too.[/quote]

A mom and pop store would notice a price mistake alot faster than a Best Buy, ie. before 1 copy is even sold. :)

This is true, since a couple local shops refused to sell me stuff which was priced wrong but on their shelves before. I didn't mind though, since I had found other great deals there in the past and whenever possible, I sell/trade them my stuff including some of the Kmart/Best Buy clearance games that I don't sell or trade here.

As for the bigger chains NOT feeling the pinch of price errors/glitches, I feel that's very wrong and probably a reason for many of the store closings we've seen. It may have only been a smaller part of the problem, but still, I'd rather have chains like Kmart and Sears and even to a lesser extent Circuit City and Best Buy stay in business rather than fold.

Why? Because I know that without their competition in place, the remaining stores wouldn't feel obligated to be competitive anymore. We saw it happen with the Bell phone companies until they were broken up in the 80's. So, imagine a world where stores never put stuff on clearance and you had to pay full retail for items.

That's why I feel the glitch discussions are just as bad in some cases as talking about return fraud.

i think price matching a sales error and return fraud are the same you are trying to optimize your dollar which is fair practice.

especally when it comes to gamestop ripping them off is the best since they rip off every person who walks through that door on a daily basis.

anymore i trade my stuff @ the blockbuster by me. my wife is the assistant mgr they give more and atleast the selection is small but they give you 25 for forza 2.

sorry to get off topic. but i would never rip off a mom and pop store becuase those are the people who sometimes have the rare hard to find system or game.

[quote name='whitedeath']i think price matching a sales error and return fraud are the same you are trying to optimize your dollar which is fair practice.[/quote]
Regardless of my thoughts on what you're saying, the word "fraud"'s connotations are so negative that this sentence doesn't even make sense. If you're going to try and justify it, use a different word.

[quote name='whitedeath']
especally when it comes to gamestop ripping them off is the best since they rip off every person who walks through that door on a daily basis.[/quote]
Two wrongs don't make a right.

[quote name='whitedeath']
sorry to get off topic. but i would never rip off a mom and pop store becuase those are the people who sometimes have the rare hard to find system or game.[/quote]
And sometimes, GameStop/EB/GameCrazy have those rare, hard to find games. My store has two copies of Nocturne and a copy of MvC2 for Xbox and a copy for PS2

And sometimes, GameStop/EB/GameCrazy have those rare, hard to find games. My store has two copies of Nocturne and a copy of MvC2 for Xbox and a copy for PS2

yes but mom and pop stores don't charge 60-70 for mvc2 like gamestop

[quote name='whitedeath']you just admitted gamestop charges ebay prices., glad u seen the light[/quote]

I don't even understand what you're trying to say here. I've never once said that GameStop is the glorious bastion of hope in this corporate run industry, hell, as an employee, I see more of the bullshit than you guys do.
Of course they charge eBay prices, it's a business, not a charity. Regardless of how much we hate thier business practices, they make bankroll constantly. You're not going to see a CAG sell his Suikoden 2 for 10 bucks just because, no, they're going to charge eBay, or close to eBay, price; that's just how the reseller's market works.

Speaking of Morals and CAG, why is it we don't allow threads about fraudulent returns, but we freely allow (and often encourage) threads about fraudulent coupons?

They actually closed the topic(s) concerning the BlockBuster/GameRush $5 for $25 one. I don't quite know where the line gets drawn, though.

I believe that the key to something being a fraud is deception. If all party involved know all information and everyone involved is still "ok" with the transaction there is no deception.

I would like to discuss return fraud regarding Wal-mart "lax" return policy. While I am not advacating returning things you bought somewhere to wal-mart, I am wondering if it is fraud to Wal-Mart. According to wikipedia; (the best concise definition I could find) "In the broadest sense, a fraud is a deception made for personal gain."

However; Wal-Mart allows people to return items without reciepts, and they have to be well aware that there is potenial for items not purchased from Wal-Mart. I am almost certain Wal-Mart knows this happens, I highly doubt a corporation like Wal-Mart would ever depend on a costumer honor system to protect any profit or assets.

Sure they have the "only 3 receiptless returns every 6 months" policy, but in every article and explanation on the website, Wal-Mart only gives the reason for the policy is to protect against massive stolen material return.

While this is in no way an explicit nod to allow people to return items to Wal-mart not purchased from them. I decided to go a little deeper.....

I purchased a 15 dollar ps2 game, and then left the store. I shopped at the mall and target among other places then returned. Of course I "forgot" my reciept in the car. The customer service was long, so while I was waiting I read the posted return policies. I did not see anything, although I could have missed it, that said anything about not returning non-wal-mart items. The closest thing I saw was that an item without a reciept must be in Wal-mart inventory.

I got up to the counter, and said I had gotten the game for Christmas in the mail from my grandparents. The clerk took the game out of my hand and scanned it......I felt guilty and interested so I started to explain," Yea, I already have the game, and I heard you guys do receiptless...I have no way of knowing that it has come from Wal-mart."

Did not matter. Before I barely got out my story she was handing me the giftcard and moving on the to the next costumer.

My friend told me that when he worked at Wal-Mart that "brand-new" products that had not been opened or serverly damaged were put right back on the shelf and sold at the normal price.

a fraud is a deception made for personal gain. There was no deception in my return story. The clerk knew full well that I had no receipt and that I had no clue whether it was from Wal-Mart or not. Of course it was from Wal-Mart, but no one there seem to care about the product other than whether it was in the system.

There was no deception involved. In fact, I made known on my on accord any information that might seen as deception. It was not for personal gain, but it could have just as easily been.

It would be return fraud, if you said I don't think this is from Wal-mart will you return it. Yes here's xx.xx giftcard. Is that how much you paid for it, and you lie and say yes even when you paid a lot less. That is deception for personal gain.

gareman, I hope you never get arrested with logic as weak as that. :roll:

It's simple. WalMart's return policy is there for their own customers, that legitimately made purchases at WalMart. It's not for someone who didn't make a purchase at WalMart, as they wouldn't be a customer for that item.

This "wink wink, nudge nudge" attitude isn't how their return policy is to be used. If you didn't buy the item at WalMart, you can't return it there. Any other case is return fraud.

it is not weak logic.

fraud is deception for personal gain
deception is lying to someone
I am not lying to them
therefore, I am not decieving them
thus not commiting fraud

Like I said I am not advocating it....I am just exploring the possilbilty that Wal-Mart doesn't really care if a product that they can resale was orignally purchased from their own store. ha, I find it absurd that I have to keep referring to Wal-Mart as if its this collective being.

But anyway just sharing my information, and seeing what anyone had to say.

Although, I don't really get the the 'wink wink nudge" comment. That was never involved me telling the clerk that it more than likely wasn't from wal-mart. Just like if I boughta stolen item, and the person who sold it to me was like yea, its probably stolen. If later on someone directly confirmed that it was stolen, then I wouldn't run to the police and told that I was decieved by a thief.

i know this is the wrong thread to put this in. but, i was wondering if anybody knew of any upcoming fye trade in deals? ive been looking for some games to trade er...flip.

With the recent Target $10 off coupon I think this is a good discussion piece.

The original coupon specifies no copies, however people have edited the coupon to say "Target.com" so they can have an excuse to why its a copy. They might as well have just deleted the part of the text that specifies no copies. Either way the coupon is fraudulent, but it saves you $10 and this is CAG...

So I was wondering what your opinions were on editing coupons to make them "CAG friendly".

[quote name='Bezerker']With the recent Target $10 off coupon I think this is a good discussion piece.

The original coupon specifies no copies, however people have edited the coupon to say "Target.com" so they can have an excuse to why its a copy. They might as well have just deleted the part of the text that specifies no copies. Either way the coupon is fraudulent, but it saves you $10 and this is CAG...

So I was wondering what your opinions were on editing coupons to make them "CAG friendly".[/quote] Well, I was the one who posted the coupon with the text deleted, but after thinking about it, it seems wrong to commit a crime just to get cheap games.

[quote name='gareman']it is not weak logic.

I am not lying to them
thus not commiting fraud

"I purchased a 15 dollar ps2 game, and then left the store. I shopped at the mall and target among other places then returned... I got up to the counter, and said I had gotten the game for Christmas in the mail from my grandparents."[/quote]

there, let me help you find where you lied to them. did you see it? i enlarged the text and put it in bold for you. did you catch it?

find it?

I really don't get what the big deal is. If someone does something kinda crooked (in the sense of returning stuff..that thing)..I don't see why other people get mad or whatever?

Whatever happened "to each their own"?

[quote name='lilboo']I really don't get what the big deal is. If someone does something kinda crooked (in the sense of returning stuff..that thing)..I don't see why other people get mad or whatever?

Whatever happened "to each their own"?[/quote] Yeah, I see his point.
The store is just going to sell it for the price that you returned it to them at.
They won't lose any money.

[quote name='Bezerker']With the recent Target $10 off coupon I think this is a good discussion piece.

So I was wondering what your opinions were on editing coupons to make them "CAG friendly".[/QUOTE]

That's a perfect example of crossing the line, IMO.

I see that, recently, people took advantage of a crazy Pepsi Points loophole and got TONS of shit from it. Good stuff, too: dvds, cds, etc. That's licit, as far as I'm concerned: the loophole was there, people exploited it, someone caught wind of it, and it died. Amazon/Pepsi kept their end of the bargain, perhaps a little sore from the exchange, but certainly wiser. Their fault, your gain.

Manipulating something for a use it was not intended for (in the case of this coupon) is fraud and certainly not "ethical." Trust me, we'd all love to make our own coupons (150% off all brand new Maseratis!") - but this, while not pushing your collective luck too much, is trying to get Target to give you $10 off something that their marketing not only did not intend to, but (somewhat) succeeded in doing so, until the coupon was manipulated in a way to make it seem like it was their error. That's deception, that's fraud. Yeah, it's $10 and not $600. But that doesn't change what it is or isn't: it just changes the degree of crime it is.

[quote name='darkslime']Yeah, I see his point.
The store is just going to sell it for the price that you returned it to them at.
They won't lose any money.[/QUOTE]

No no no, I'm not even talking about that either. All I'm saying is if you have a few DVDs and you took them to walmart and did THAT thing..I don't see why I should care. See what I mean? I'm not defending the stores, nor the people..I'm just saying it really shouldn't bother anyone else.

[quote name='mykevermin']That's a perfect example of crossing the line, IMO.

I see that, recently, people took advantage of a crazy Pepsi Points loophole and got TONS of shit from it. Good stuff, too: dvds, cds, etc. That's licit, as far as I'm concerned: the loophole was there, people exploited it, someone caught wind of it, and it died. Amazon/Pepsi kept their end of the bargain, perhaps a little sore from the exchange, but certainly wiser. Their fault, your gain.

Manipulating something for a use it was not intended for (in the case of this coupon) is fraud and certainly not "ethical." Trust me, we'd all love to make our own coupons (150% off all brand new Maseratis!") - but this, while not pushing your collective luck too much, is trying to get Target to give you $10 off something that their marketing not only did not intend to, but (somewhat) succeeded in doing so, until the coupon was manipulated in a way to make it seem like it was their error. That's deception, that's fraud. Yeah, it's $10 and not $600. But that doesn't change what it is or isn't: it just changes the degree of crime it is.[/QUOTE]

I agree. The pepsi/amazon thing had a loophole and we really took advantage of that (big time, :lol:).
Making a coupon is completely different. That's a bit too much.

To me, the easier it is to do (like return something to walmart) the less "guilty" you are. If I were to take some of my DVDs to Walmart and get some credit..it's simple only because
1) Pepsi/Amazon had a glitch that allowed all of us to do it legit
2) Walmart strives for customer service, so it's not a big deal.
3) The stuff ISN'T stolen.

[quote name='gareman']it is not weak logic.

I am not lying to them
thus not commiting fraud

Like I said I am not advocating it....I am just exploring the possilbilty that Wal-Mart doesn't really care if a product that they can resale was orignally purchased from their own store
yesa.jpg
ha, I find it absurd that I have to keep referring to Wal-Mart as if its this collective being.

Although, I don't really get the the 'wink wink nudge" comment. That was never involved me telling the clerk that it more than likely wasn't from wal-mart. Just like if I boughta stolen item, and the person who sold it to me was like yea, its probably stolen. If later on someone directly confirmed that it was stolen, then I wouldn't run to the police and told that I was decieved by a thief.[/quote]

lol, i like your reasoning.

I work at walmart. everyone who works there knows that over 50% of the time, the item didn't even come from walmart, but no one cares. You could walk up to the counter and say "I didn't get this here but want to return it" if its sealed and in their inventory, they should do it. It's policy.

I've done it before, I don't sugar coat some lie, I straight up tell them it wasn't bought there, there is a reason they only allow it 3 times every 6 months.

[quote name='gareman']it is not
smile.gif
weak logic.

I am not lying to them
thus not commiting fraud

Like I said I am not advocating it....I am just exploring the possilbilty that Wal-Mart doesn't really care if a product that they can resale was orignally purchased from their own store. ha, I find it absurd that I have to keep referring to Wal-Mart as if its this collective being.

Although, I don't really get the the 'wink wink nudge" comment. That was never involved me telling the clerk that it more than likely wasn't from wal-mart. Just like if I boughta stolen item, and the person who sold it to me was like yea, its probably stolen. If later on someone directly confirmed that it was stolen, then I wouldn't run to the police and told that I was decieved by a thief.[/quote]

The law is a strange thing.

Some law is based on Caveat Emptor, meaning "let the buyer beware", and so NOT saying something is not a lie, and TO say somthing which is lie does not matter to the law when Caveat emptor applies. The law is saying that the buyer must be careful of what it believe, and use their own judgement on what is true or not.

Other law requires total disclosure, like when buying an insurance policy. Here NOT saying something (eg a pre-existing condition) is considered a lie, and it will not matter if you paid the insurance premium for 20 years before the "truth" comes out.

Then there is "offer and acceptance", where the price advertised by a shop to sell something is NOT an offer to sell it at that price. The law says the listed price is "an indication only" of what the retailer will/may accept. The "offer" is made when the buyer offers to pay for it, and the deal is done IF the retailer accepts the money. But the shop does not HAVE to accept it, and can legally claim the price offered is not enough, even if it had a sign on it saying otherwise.

The Law is a strange thing, and has little to do with Justice, right and wrong. Most Law was shaped by big business and powerful lobby groups.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Birakon']I work at walmart. everyone who works there knows that over 50% of the time, the item didn't even come from walmart, but no one cares. You could walk up to the counter and say "I didn't get this here but want to return it" if its sealed and in their inventory, they should do it. It's policy.

I've done it before, I don't sugar coat some lie, I straight up tell them it wasn't bought there, there is a reason they only allow it 3 times every 6 months.[/quote]

I don't know what walmart you work at, but my gf is a dept. manager at a walmart, and they're really cracking down on it because these kinds of losses cut into their quarterly bonuses just as much as theft does. They also did away with the "x number of returns without receipts per year" rule.

Interesting. I thought people would have more compassion on a stores mistake that doesn't directly affect anyone in a detrimental way.

I, for one, will not buy one of these 4000 points cards from a Chinese credit card thief. I'm also skeptical of this dude from U. of Texas selling them, and where he got the cards from...

[quote name='CheapyD']The purpose of this thread is to act as a home to all discussion of shopping morals.
All discussions on this topic should take place here and not inside threads in the Video Game Deals forum.
Thank you for your cooperation.[/QUOTE]
Its good idea...
Well done dude...

For a misprinting in the ad, I think you should be able to get it with little to no fighting. After working at Kmart for almost 2 years, I had to do that a lot. It can get to be ridiculous, especially at Christmas, but hey, there should really be a proofreader on the ads.

Changing a coupon though, is a terrible thing, and if anyone tried it at my register, I would verify the eff out of it. If I hadn't heard about it, I asked every manager on duty.

by law. the price advertised is the price they have to sell if to you
it happened to me at target and blockbuster,
they pwn themselves

[quote name='ghbabe']by law. the price advertised is the price they have to sell if to you
it happened to me at target and blockbuster,
they pwn themselves[/QUOTE]
Except most stores have a clause in their terms of agreement where they state they don't have to honor pricing errors.

Example, Best Buy. Last year, they didn't honor the $10 HDTV.

People always cite to these imaginary laws. At the end of the day the laws that rule are the laws of contracts and so forth. Stores have the discretion to do as they please. Most do the right thing to keep customers happy.

As for the coupon thing - that is fraud and deception. If you want to do it for 10 bucks it's on your own conscious.

As for the idea walmart doesn't lose money - they do lose money taking back fraudulent returns. They make no profit for the item - but they still have their regular overhead cost, still have to inventory the item, etc. etc. In the end, selling that item at cost loses them money because they don't recover even their expenses. Do that enough times and business go bankrupt. You can twist it however you want to make yourself feel better, but it is taking advantage of a store. Not to say wal-mart is a saintly entity, but that's a completely different conversation.

[quote name='gareman']I believe that the key to something being a fraud is deception. If all party involved know all information and everyone involved is still "ok" with the transaction there is no deception.

I would like to discuss return fraud regarding Wal-mart "lax" return policy. While I am not advacating returning things you bought somewhere to wal-mart, I am wondering if it is fraud to Wal-Mart. According to wikipedia; (the best concise definition I could find) "In the broadest sense, a fraud is a deception made for personal gain."

However; Wal-Mart allows people to return items without reciepts, and they have to be well aware that there is potenial for items not purchased from Wal-Mart. I am almost certain Wal-Mart knows this happens, I highly doubt a corporation like Wal-Mart would ever depend on a costumer honor system to protect any profit or assets.

Sure they have the "only 3 receiptless returns every 6 months" policy, but in every article and explanation on the website, Wal-Mart only gives the reason for the policy is to protect against massive stolen material return.

While this is in no way an explicit nod to allow people to return items to Wal-mart not purchased from them. I decided to go a little deeper.....

I purchased a 15 dollar ps2 game, and then left the store. I shopped at the mall and target among other places then returned. Of course I "forgot" my reciept in the car. The customer service was long, so while I was waiting I read the posted return policies. I did not see anything, although I could have missed it, that said anything about not returning non-wal-mart items. The closest thing I saw was that an item without a reciept must be in Wal-mart inventory.

I got up to the counter, and said I had gotten the game for Christmas in the mail from my grandparents. The clerk took the game out of my hand and scanned it......I felt guilty and interested so I started to explain," Yea, I already have the game, and I heard you guys do receiptless...I have no way of knowing that it has come from Wal-mart."

Did not matter. Before I barely got out my story she was handing me the giftcard and moving on the to the next costumer.

My friend told me that when he worked at Wal-Mart that "brand-new" products that had not been opened or serverly damaged were put right back on the shelf and sold at the normal price.

a fraud is a deception made for personal gain. There was no deception in my return story. The clerk knew full well that I had no receipt and that I had no clue whether it was from Wal-Mart or not. Of course it was from Wal-Mart, but no one there seem to care about the product other than whether it was in the system.

There was no deception involved. In fact, I made known on my on accord any information that might seen as deception. It was not for personal gain, but it could have just as easily been.

It would be return fraud, if you said I don't think this is from Wal-mart will you return it. Yes here's xx.xx giftcard. Is that how much you paid for it, and you lie and say yes even when you paid a lot less. That is deception for personal gain.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I'm calling bullshit. If you can't see how everything you mentioned was purely deceptive and for personal gain, then you have no sense of ethics or morality. I'm going to break this down for you legally. You knowingly commit fraud/larceny under false pretenses when you return a non-Walmart item to Walmart. How and why?

First and foremost, you knew the item you were returning was not purchased from that store. You can try to tell yourself that's fine because the clerk assumed it was but that's irrelevant. The law only cares about your state of mind and your knowledge and, here, you knew the item you were returning wasn't from that store AND you intended to return it to receive additional money.

Second, you outright fabricated a story to get the clerk to take the item back and give you title (meaning full possession) of the extra money you had no right to. Even if you didn't fabricate the story, you still approached the clerk with the hopes that you would be able to pass off the item as one bought from Walmart. Explicit language you know the item didn't come from that store is not required. Again, this goes to YOUR knowledge and intent.

Three, the return policy is irrelevant unless it explicitly says we will accept returns from other stores, which it doesn't. You may think that Walmart taking back things without asking questions justifies your actions but it doesn't. The very definition of the word return is to give or bring back an item to its original location. You're not doing that here. You're buying an item from a separate store and then "selling" it to Walmart at a higher price under the guise of a return. The money you received, both covering your original purchase and any profit afterwards, is stolen, plain and simple.

Try to rationalize it anyway you want but you're committing fraud under false pretenses and that is a crime. And before you ask, yes, I'm an attorney.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ardrid']Sorry, but I'm calling bullshit. If you can't see how everything you mentioned was purely deceptive and for personal gain, then you have no sense of ethics or morality. I'm going to break this down for you legally. You knowingly commit fraud/larceny under false pretenses when you return a non-Walmart item to Walmart. How and why?

First and foremost, you knew the item you were returning was not purchased from that store. You can try to tell yourself that's fine because the clerk assumed it was but that's irrelevant. The law only cares about your state of mind and your knowledge and, here, you knew the item you were returning wasn't from that store AND you intended to return it to receive additional money.

Second, you outright fabricated a story to get the clerk to take the item back and give you title (meaning full possession) of the extra money you had no right to. Even if you didn't fabricate the story, you still approached the clerk with the hopes that you would be able to pass off the item as one bought from Walmart. Explicit language you know the item didn't come from that store is not required. Again, this goes to YOUR knowledge and intent.

Three, the return policy is irrelevant unless it explicitly says we will accept returns from other stores, which it doesn't. You may think that Walmart taking back things without asking questions justifies your actions but it doesn't. The very definition of the word return is to give or bring back an item to its original location. You're not doing that here. You're buying an item from a separate store and then "selling" it to Walmart at a higher price under the guise of a return. The money you received, both covering your original purchase and any profit afterwards, is stolen, plain and simple.

Try to rationalize it anyway you want but you're committing fraud under false pretenses and that is a crime. And before you ask, yes, I'm an attorney.[/QUOTE]

-Lawyered! (Fans of How I Met Your Mother get this joke? Lol)

This is something that CheapyD, Wombat, and Shipwreck should discuss on this issue for the next podcast. I personally think this BB glitch deal has got out of hand. I am hoping to see what they Cheapy has to say about this in a more elaborate and well thought manner since of course this site is used by flippers and there is just no way to get around that.

I don't really have a problem with people whistle blowing a deal dead. I look at it as "Hey, maybe they just saved someone's job". And thats all I think of. No games or deal are worth more to me than someone's livelyhood.

The bigger moral quandary isn't even hoarding to take advantage of the glitch and denying others of cashing in on deals, it's taking advantage of Best Buy, who is already in financial trouble and laying off employees, and further contributing to their eroding bottom line. Yes, I know people are going to come in here and say fuck Best Buy they suck, I'm glad to see them go out of business and don't care, but at the end of the day, lack of competition in the retail market hurts everyone.

I don't shop at Best Buy often because they are sparse up here in Connecticut, but they do sometimes have good deals, and I do enjoy shopping there from time to time, and will be sad when they shutter their stores for good, and I don't want to see them go.

[quote name='spmahn']The bigger moral quandary isn't even hoarding to take advantage of the glitch and denying others of cashing in on deals, it's taking advantage of Best Buy, who is already in financial trouble and laying off employees, and further contributing to their eroding bottom line. Yes, I know people are going to come in here and say fuck Best Buy they suck, I'm glad to see them go out of business and don't care, but at the end of the day, lack of competition in the retail market hurts everyone.

I don't shop at Best Buy often because they are sparse up here in Connecticut, but they do sometimes have good deals, and I do enjoy shopping there from time to time, and will be sad when they shutter their stores for good, and I don't want to see them go.[/QUOTE]

i agree. Eventually those same ppl are going to be singing a different tune, and saying they wish bestbuy was still around, because of all the good deal they got from bestbuy.

bread's done
Back