Shopping Morality Thread

I'll post my thoughts here even though I was so tempted to post in the other thread but decided not to.

I'm one of those people who dislike flippers that buy 2 or even 3 copies of a game just with the intent of flipping it to another retail store for store credit. True, early bird catches the worm, but you're deliberately denying others (including CAGs) the opportunity to enjoy the deal if they all want to do is play the game for cheap.

I can still remember how skewed Best Buy's trade in prices used to be last year and how that affected Gamefly's used console game sales. I really wanted :ps3: Castlevania Lords of Shadow for $12.99, but by the time I got off of work, Gamefly was sold out. Now I don't mind if people would have posted saying how great the game is, or that they're looking forward to giving it as a gift to their friend, but many CAGs were posting about how they flipped all their copies to Best Buy for profit. I only recently just got it from Sears brand new for $19.99 but only because I've given up on it ever going back on sale again.

On the other hand, glitches like Buy 2, Get 2 free from Best Buy are one of the reasons I joined CAG in the first place. I loved the sense of "us" versus "them". The underlying concept of the website for me is that we're all helping each other finding good deals, and the resulting comraderie is something that cannot be found on other deal sites. I've gotten miffed in the past when a deal I've already posted gets a duplicate post, but the person's intent is only to help out others share in the good fortune they themselves are in.

I'm looking at my 6 games that I have picked up today from Best Buy (2 are being shipped) still in their shrink wrap. I wouldn't have bought these games otherwise since I have a sizable backlog. Yeah, I made off pretty good but people's jobs may be affected, and it wouldn't be their CEO and upper level executives that'll feel the sting. I myself work in retail and would hate to find myself unemployed due to someone finding a loophole on a sale we're having. People steal from my store all the time (we find opened packages hidden behind other products on a daily basis) and I get upset knowing that it directly affects my 401K, inventory bonus, etc.

If this was Gamestop where they go out of the way to ripoff the unsuspecting shopper then I'd have no qualms about taking advantage of them. This is Best Buy however, the last retail store that's been going out of their way to give gamers great value and sales without pestering people for pre-orders and pushing used versions of games onto customers. Best Buy has had a reputation within my family for having terrible customer service in the past, but I the people I've encountered in the gaming department have for the most part been stand up guys and gals. I'd hate to see them lose their jobs as a result of something I've done.
I'm going to leave the games in their original packaging for now and will have to think about this over the next several days.

[quote name='YBX87']i agree. Eventually those same ppl are going to be singing a different tune, and saying they wish bestbuy was still around, because of all the good deal they got from bestbuy.[/QUOTE]

We already lost some good competition in the marketplace when Circuit City went out of business. Can't deny that regardless of how you have felt about CC's actions before they closed for good.

As someone who is out of the loop - what happened this time?

But in general, flippers will be flippers. You can't start imposing arbitrary limits on the number of copies of something someone can purchase, or even the terms for purchase.

"You can only purchase 1 copy if you intend to play it."

"You can only purchase 1 copy to play and 1 to sit uselessly sealed on your shelf as a collectible."

"You can only purchase 1 copy to play and 2 copies to flip to lower the costs of the first item."

It just gets a bit ridiculous. You can attempt to have your own "shopping morality" as this thread is titled (really, more of shopping ethics, not morality), but good luck forcing that on others.

And for every CAG posting about buying 1 or 2 or 3 or however many copies to "flip," there's an untold number of people buying an untold number of games and trying to profit from them without needing to post about it on CAG.

You can't stop flippers. You can just follow your own code of conduct for purchasing games if it helps you sleep better at night.

As for glitches, gigantic corporations like Best Buy should have their sales and deals and what have you thoroughly checked. Whether a computer priced something wrong, or a human did, either way it comes down to human error since a human should have programmed the computer better. And if someone loses their job over it - they quite possibly should. If someone wants to tell Best Buy their site is glitching, that's fine. If no one does, that's on Best Buy for not noticing the glitch themselves. I've directly tried to ask on the Best Buy forums how they keep screwing up with glitches (this was a couple years back when they had a handful of glitches in a row) but they had no rationale for how it kept happening. They possibly could have cancelled the orders without threats of "BAIT AND SWITCH ILLEGAL SCAMMING" since I think obvious price mistakes provide a legal loophole, but they shipped them anyway so that's also a decision on someone's shoulders at Best Buy. Either someone who okayed the sales or someone who programmed their system to not flag orders like whatever occurred. It's really not the consumer's problem.

[quote name='Platinumstorm']I know this isn't the best thread for it, but BB seems to be honoring their transactions if you chose shipping.[/QUOTE]

you knew they would mostly honor it .. I remember back around thanksgiving they had

BUY 2 used 19.99 games+ get 10 buck gift card or something like that

well it worked with any games so you could grabbed 2 4.99 games and got them free ....

2. 4.99 games and 10 buck gift card for 10 bucks..

hell i would admit i made like 20 orders and 14 of them shipped ... the other 7 i made money off them cause 7 of the games shipped and 7 still in process

so
i got

4.99 game and a 10 buck gift card for 4.99 (since the other game never shipped)

[quote name='YBX87']i agree. Eventually those same ppl are going to be singing a different tune, and saying they wish bestbuy was still around, because of all the good deal they got from bestbuy.[/QUOTE]

That's what they did with Circuit City. These types of people only care about the short term, not the long term.

Yes BBY is doing so horribly because of glitches. My ass.

The reasons they cited were because of lower TV sales, and slow to recognize Amazon. And with the plummet of games sales already happening, it's a drop in the bucket. If anything, you should boycott Amazon if you want to save BBY.

On the glitch thing, sure I participated. There was a store with several copies of Pokemon Conquest, so I stayed up to buy a copy, but they were already gone by the time the sale was live. I didn't stay up hoping for a glitch.

But I wouldn't have bought the games I was going to had it not been B2G2, which is a fact. Whether or not they actually "lost" money is debatable. Would they lose more money if I had waited for then to be on sale (Black Friday is like 4 months away, and I have games to play for much longer than that). Would it have been better for the gaming industry to buy them in the B2G2 glitch for new, or when it hits $14.99 at Gamefly?

I didn't order any $60 titles, even though they were in my cart, just because I didn't think I'd want to pay $33 a piece for them.

I have no sympathy for their coder. Saying someone shouldn't lose a job because they can't do it is ridiculous. Hire someone who doesn't have a job who can do the work.

As for being fraud or hacking", I don't think it is. I did what their system allowed, no more, no less. Are you people returning extra certificates issued to you that you did nothing to get? I doubt it. That's the exact same thing. Or penny guides. Or getting 20 copies of Fairytale Fighters. Or Deadliest Warriors for free. Or reusing coupons. Or using two coupons from two magazines, since you're supposed to be limited to one. They're all "glitches."

And someone on the deals thread said the same people participating in this probably pirates games. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. A) why would a pirate buy games at any price, if they're already pirating, and B) why is it bad if these pirates are now spending money in the gaming industry, especially if they're buying new items?

I participated in this glitch and I hate piracy and would never pirate a game. I got 3 first party 3DS games and the Ico/Shadow Collection that were all priced as 40 each for 80$. I dont even have my 3DS yet but I jumped on it cause it was a great deal. Im confident in saying that I never would've purchased these items from bestbuy if this "glitch" wasn't happen. I see nothing wrong with using something they allow on their own website. Bestbuy held 3 blackfriday orders of mine in 2011 for more than a month just to cancel them, I didn't bitch about it. Now Im abusing them back and they aren't bitching about it either. Eitherway it's all by their rules.

People say that using an online glitch is wrong, yet there are tons of people here who choose to go in a store and get a partial refund because a game dropped in 10$ or try to get coupons/promotions to stack when they shouldn't. Also to people who return things because of a price drop elsewhere, or they price match at the store, do they not see the negative effects of this? Whether you're not paying full price by using a coupon, website glitch, promotion, price match, etc, it still hurts the company but what all those things do provide is a sale to the company.

Glitch or exploit? I wasn't around for the B2G2 until late in the day, and then had to read back a bit it figure out out went on. To me, it seems more like exploiting the system. Reading the steps to do it on the BB forum, it certainly seems you had to go out of your way to get it to work. It wasn't just put four in cart and two are free. You had to almost force it to get 2 free.

On the other hand, I think the $50 store pickup is a glitch. Make your order, pick it up, and wait for your $10 cert. You do nothing wrong if they send you multiple certs.

In one scenario, you are trying to get away with something. In the other, you follow the rules, and it is their system giving you extra.

[quote name='Nesboy43']People say that using an online glitch is wrong, yet there are tons of people here who choose to go in a store and get a partial refund because a game dropped in 10$ or try to get coupons/promotions to stack when they shouldn't. Also to people who return things because of a price drop elsewhere, or they price match at the store, do they not see the negative effects of this?[/QUOTE]

How is that a moral issue when that's store policy? The difference is someone isn't getting their ass kicked for it like whoever didn't catch that glitch is because you wanted some free games.

[quote name='spmahn']The bigger moral quandary isn't even hoarding to take advantage of the glitch and denying others of cashing in on deals, it's taking advantage of Best Buy, who is already in financial trouble and laying off employees, and further contributing to their eroding bottom line. Yes, I know people are going to come in here and say fuck Best Buy they suck, I'm glad to see them go out of business and don't care, but at the end of the day, lack of competition in the retail market hurts everyone.

I don't shop at Best Buy often because they are sparse up here in Connecticut, but they do sometimes have good deals, and I do enjoy shopping there from time to time, and will be sad when they shutter their stores for good, and I don't want to see them go.[/QUOTE]
:applause: I agree with you....for once.

When Circuit City closed, there were zero chains up here in the northeast that really could compete with Best Buy. There's no Fry's, Hastings or anything else I've even half considered a halfway decent chain up here STILL to compete with them.

What we got in place of Circuit City(they even took over their old retail stores in many cases) is HHGregg, which makes WalMart look like Dollar Tree by comparison.

Any time I've gone into HHGregg it's been laughable. Their prices are 10-15% or more higher than everybody else and on the paltry selection of gaming related stuff they have they truly do believe that MSRP is just a suggested price(example: They charge $60 for a Dual Shock 3 instead of the industry standard $54.99).

So yeah, if BB goes under, then I'm SOL for places to get my gaming deals at, since Sears/Kmart are on the brink of oblivion again(and the local game store owner and his one buddy are fuckin' clearing them out anymore:roll:), TRU has ceased doing reliable/good sales and Target has very few decent sales anymore.

I didn't participate in the best buy glitch because there simply aren't 4 games out right now that I want and don't have. I can think of Twisted Metal, Star Wars Kinect, and GOW Origins as basically it. But they aren't liked price, and I see TM and SWK dropping at some point and they aren't even must plays for me (hell, I just want SWK for the Han Solo DDR bullshit lol). That being said, if this happened when there was a ton of stuff I wanted and it was in stock and like priced, I'd probably have taken part.

Um...I just hate moral police. Yes, certain things are wrong. BUT I find it quite annoying when someone pops into a thread with unwanted opinions and starts commenting on every incident somone did something 'immoral'. Glitches are a little different, than say doing return fraud.

[quote name='Nesboy43']People say that using an online glitch is wrong, yet there are tons of people here who choose to go in a store and get a partial refund because a game dropped in 10$ or try to get coupons/promotions to stack when they shouldn't. Also to people who return things because of a price drop elsewhere, or they price match at the store, do they not see the negative effects of this? Whether you're not paying full price by using a coupon, website glitch, promotion, price match, etc, it still hurts the company but what all those things do provide is a sale to the company.[/QUOTE]are u high? #1 price matching is a policy & if you read the policy you'd fully understand why they do it. Also, pay attention to the wording used
"Best Buy Price Match guarantee"
"Buy It Now with Confidence"

Right on the walmart ad it says "with ad match, their sale price is our price." "Low price guarantee backed by ad match"

The use the word guarantee is used to convey TRUST in their company b/c they know today's consumer is smarter & will research to find the better prices. So in BB's case they convey the buy it now no matter the price b/c you know you're protected for 30/60 days to get the cheaper price. And stores know that you're already in their to buy something as is so chances are you could be tempted into spending more on items you see(impulse purchases cause by foot traffic) both of which retailers love & strive for. Post purchase pm'ing is huge, since the store would much rather give you the difference back vs a person returning the item altogether & buying it elsewhere which is a complete loss not to mention foot traffic. They give $20 back & a person then has unexpected money to spend in the store.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-To...ee/pcmcat204400050011.c?id=pcmcat204400050011

http://localad.walmart.com/Walmart/Entry/Flash?storeref=2885&forceview=y

i take advantage of glitches whenever i get the chance also i flip but only in store?! i careless for other CAGs because they careless about me and its been proven time and time again....people on this site are selfish so i will be selfish as well better get the deals before i get them all agree? and no i dont flip at best buy or gamestop i usually sell it on amazon ...does that make me a bad person? no im just trying to feed my family = )

What I find ridiculous is anyone who values the opinions of strangers on the internet over their own financial well-being. I've never even done any kind of this flipping from one store to another, but hearing people talk about how immoral it is is just insane. Are those people that do extreme couponing to get $500 of groceries for $20 immoral now too? I even remember an old yard sale find post where someone found a bunch of rare SNES RPGs for next to nothing and instead of buying them he told the seller what they were worth and paid close to retail because it was the "right thing to do"....give me a damn break

The level of white-knighting on this entire forum is just mind boggling, who are you people trying to impress?

[quote name='crows in black']What I find ridiculous is anyone who values the opinions of strangers on the internet over their own financial well-being. I've never even done any kind of this flipping from one store to another, but hearing people talk about how immoral it is is just insane. Are those people that do extreme couponing to get $500 of groceries for $20 immoral now too? I even remember an old yard sale find post where someone found a bunch of rare SNES RPGs for next to nothing and instead of buying them he told the seller what they were worth and paid close to retail because it was the "right thing to do"....give me a damn break

The level of white-knighting on this entire forum is just mind boggling, who are you people trying to impress?[/QUOTE]

certainly not trying to impress the guy who bought a scratched up copy of a megaman game at a yard sale only to "return" it to a GS for a working copy:roll:

spiderman-the-fuck-i-was-giving-has-disappeared.jpg

Just wanted to warn anyone listening that I got an email from xbox permanently banning my account (with 20,000+gamer points) AND my console for:

This account was permanently suspended for the theft or attempted theft of marketplace assets, specifically by attempting to utilize or share fraudulent methods in order to obtain content or redemption codes.

The specific conduct that caused this suspension may include, but is not limited to:

- Promotion or distribution of fraudulent methods in order to obtain marketplace content
- Utilizing fraudulent methods in order to obtain region-specific marketplace content or circumvent regional pricing
- Illegitimate acquisition of marketplace content
- Illegitimate acquisition of redemption codes

To help avoid future account suspensions, please review the Xbox LIVE Code of Conduct and the Terms of Use here:

http://www.xbox.com/Legal/CodeOfConduct
http://www.xbox.com/Legal/LiveTOU

The second point is exactly what happened. I got all the Oman and Russian stuff using the methods posted previously here. SUCKS! Lost account, all DLC, arcade games, avatar purchases and have a bricked machine.

I read all the posts saying no one's been banned etc, but if you go to xbox live forums you can see a ton of people getting banned for this now.

Again:
- Utilizing fraudulent methods in order to obtain region-specific marketplace content or circumvent regional pricing

Well good luck. I guess it sucks to be me now.

And if anyone asks, no I didn't do anything else. Never played on another machine, never bought sketchy MS point cards etc etc. just got and played the Oman/Russia stuff

Just wanted to warn anyone listening that I got an email from xbox permanently banning my account (with 20,000+gamer points) AND my console for:

This account was permanently suspended for the theft or attempted theft of marketplace assets, specifically by attempting to utilize or share fraudulent methods in order to obtain content or redemption codes.

The specific conduct that caused this suspension may include, but is not limited to:

- Promotion or distribution of fraudulent methods in order to obtain marketplace content
- Illegitimate acquisition of marketplace content
- Illegitimate acquisition of redemption codes

To help avoid future account suspensions, please review the Xbox LIVE Code of Conduct and the Terms of Use here:

http://www.xbox.com/Legal/CodeOfConduct
http://www.xbox.com/Legal/LiveTOU

The second point is exactly what happened. I got all the Oman and Russian stuff using the methods posted previously here. SUCKS! Lost account, all DLC, arcade games, avatar purchases and have a bricked machine.

I read all the posts saying no one's been banned etc, but if you go to xbox live forums you can see a ton of people getting banned for this now.

Again:

Well good luck. I guess it sucks to be me now.

And if anyone asks, no I didn't do anything else. Never played on another machine, never bought sketchy MS point cards etc etc. just got and played the Oman/Russia stuff
Damn. Never participated in this but have seen dozens of threads with lots of activity on CAG promoting this kind of stuff. Looks like we'll have lots of angry Xbox users in the near future.

I can confirm that console bans are indeed going out. I just received mine today after logging off for a quick break from Diablo 3. Logged on not more than 30 minutes later and got the console ban. I used an Oman account to get free games but I never hacked, modded, shared accounts or even license transfer. No doubt as to the reason I was banned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can confirm that console bans are indeed going out. I just received mine today after logging off for a quick break from Diablo 3. Logged on not more than 30 minutes later and got the console ban. I used an Oman account to get free games but I never hacked, modded, shared accounts or even license transfer. No doubt as to the reason I was banned.

was yours only a console ban? Can you log into xbox.com and see all your info?

So MS just delisted 11 WP7 games, so if my phone breaks now I'll never be able to get those games back, games I paid money for!

Anyone care to comment on why it's ok for MS to do this, bearing in mind recent events.

So, I'm new to this morality thread but apparently this is where I need to be since I'm fed up with the fraudsters on the Target B2G1 and 30% threads. Scanning the coupon and using an app (SnipSnap?) to put it on your phone so only the barcode shows when the original coupon is printed out by Target coupon printers at the register and is supposed to be invalid if scanned, etc.

Then the folks purposely buying 3 games with the B2G1 and returning 2 of them...on purpose!...to get the 3rd game for $2 or $3 or in some cases for free and/or with money back!

I admit to buying several games with the B2G1...9 in fact!  But with one exception, all games that I wanted and intend to play. And that one exception was one I let the electronics dept. guy talk me into.

I guess I spent too much time over in those threads over the past week and it continuously went downhill as the week went on.

And speaking of coupon and/or return fraud...can we or should we report specific posts?

It's really a clear indication that this site is quickly becoming slickdeals lite. It's sad to see but these types of blatant fraud and flips have become so prevalent lately that it's really hard to miss at this point. It's too bad because this website always seemed different with at least somewhat of a positive community feel rather than the cesspools other deals sites are.

It's really a clear indication that this site is quickly becoming slickdeals lite. It's sad to see but these types of blatant fraud and flips have become so prevalent lately that it's really hard to miss at this point. It's too bad because this website always seemed different with at least somewhat of a positive community feel rather than the cesspools other deals sites are.
Just to add to this, they do this here knowingly to keep away from other deal sites that really don't care to keep things more active for there own purpose on this site.

I was at a liqour store buying at 6 pack the day of the superbowl. I paid on my card and asked if I could get two fives for a ten. He agreed and gave me the two fives then took my ten, finalized my transaction and looked confused and handed me another two fives....I quietly walked towards the door swiftly I felt guilty though.

I had an amazing occurrence of positive morals on ebay.  Had an item where I had shipped it to the buyer (in Brazil) in October. In January he contacted me regarding wanting a refund since the item was clearly lost (tracking stopped at customs in Miami).  I gave him the refund and took the loss since I apparently forgot to insure the package.  Much to my amazement, in March the buyer contacted me saying that the item had just arrived (5.5 months later) and he wanted me to know what my paypal email address was so that he could send me the money for the item.

I let him know the email address and didn't hear anything back for a few days, then I got the notice from paypal that he sent the money.  Needless to say I thanked him profusely as most people in that situation would probably just consider it a bonus and keep both the money and the game. 

I had an amazing occurrence of positive morals on ebay. Had an item where I had shipped it to the buyer (in Brazil) in October. In January he contacted me regarding wanting a refund since the item was clearly lost (tracking stopped at customs in Miami). I gave him the refund and took the loss since I apparently forgot to insure the package. Much to my amazement, in March the buyer contacted me saying that the item had just arrived (5.5 months later) and he wanted me to know what my paypal email address was so that he could send me the money for the item.

I let him know the email address and didn't hear anything back for a few days, then I got the notice from paypal that he sent the money. Needless to say I thanked him profusely as most people in that situation would probably just consider it a bonus and keep both the money and the game.
Wow that's really rare!

Glad to hear there is some honesty out there still :)

Just had an experience at the local Best Buy. Went in to pick up my MK 8 pre-order. I approached the .com pickup line and no one was there; but there was a manager sitting at a desk on the phone. Five minutes passed and She got up and walked past me and asked if I'd been helped, I said I hadn't and she radioed someone.

Some nerd came by and just looked around and said to himself, "help who? There's no one here." I waived to him and he walked out to the manager and told her he was with a customer so he couldn't help me. -_-'

Just as I'm typing up my email to complain once I got the survey, the same manager comes back and asks for my last name. She couldn't locate my item so she asked what I purchased and I said MK8. She looked it up and couldn't find it. She asked for my order number, rather than say it out loud I hand her my phone to scan the barcode on the email; but she manually entered it instead.

She went to the cage in the back and came back with a Wii U Mk8 bundle. I was still typing away on my phone when she asked me to sign...dumbfounded I did a double take and looked up at her. She handed me a pen, i signed and stood there thinking the guard at the door would surely call me out on this when he checked the receipt. I figured i'd chance it since that's what the manager gave me.

The guard at the door just smiled asked for the receipt and ran his fingernail through the receipt and said, " see you next time boss." With that, my fellow CAGs, I walked out with a brand new Wii U with MK8 for $47.99 + tax AND I also redeemed my $10 gas card a few moments ago.

Upon further inspection it was not the manager's fault, whomever did the .com order fulfillment put my order for MK8 as the Wii U MK8 as the order sticker was on the side.

Did I feel a bit guilty? For a split second, but as soon as I loaded the Wii U into my car I felt okay :).

Just had an experience at the local Best Buy. Went in to pick up my MK 8 pre-order. I approached the .com pickup line and no one was there; but there was a manager sitting at a desk on the phone. Five minutes passed and She got up and walked past me and asked if I'd been helped, I said I hadn't and she radioed someone.

Some nerd came by and just looked around and said to himself, "help who? There's no one here." I waived to him and he walked out to the manager and told her he was with a customer so he couldn't help me. -_-'

Just as I'm typing up my email to complain once I got the survey, the same manager comes back and asks for my last name. She couldn't locate my item so she asked what I purchased and I said MK8. She looked it up and couldn't find it. She asked for my order number, rather than say it out loud I hand her my phone to scan the barcode on the email; but she manually entered it instead.

She went to the cage in the back and came back with a Wii U Mk8 bundle. I was still typing away on my phone when she asked me to sign...dumbfounded I did a double take and looked up at her. She handed me a pen, i signed and stood there thinking the guard at the door would surely call me out on this when he checked the receipt. I figured i'd chance it since that's what the manager gave me.

The guard at the door just smiled asked for the receipt and ran his fingernail through the receipt and said, " see you next time boss." With that, my fellow CAGs, I walked out with a brand new Wii U with MK8 for $47.99 + tax AND I also redeemed my $10 gas card a few moments ago.

Upon further inspection it was not the manager's fault, whomever did the .com order fulfillment put my order for MK8 as the Wii U MK8 as the order sticker was on the side.

Did I feel a bit guilty? For a split second, but as soon as I loaded the Wii U into my car I felt okay :).
And to this day that WiiU has done little more than collect dust... :rofl:

I guess i'm sort of a heartless bastard when it comes to Target. I could of easily done the Madden 15 boomerangs to BB and Xbox $303 flip but I didn't. I guess I hate Target with a passion but trading in and reselling so many Assassin's Creed 4s, Tomb Raider, and Call of Duty Ghosts did their damage to other stores. I wouldn't commit fraud or false pricematching but people will also make the choice to go the grey route. I still question why Walmart takes returns without receipts when I've seen people return items that are clearly not sold by Walmart and just arguing for the credit. I guess the amount is low enough for them not to care or they only target dealer level returns. Plus I suppose they take your information so they could ban you from making returns since they pay a company to track returns.

I guess i'm sort of a heartless bastard when it comes to Target. I could of easily done the Madden 15 boomerangs to BB and Xbox $303 flip but I didn't. I guess I hate Target with a passion but trading in and reselling so many Assassin's Creed 4s, Tomb Raider, and Call of Duty Ghosts did their damage to other stores. I wouldn't commit fraud or false pricematching but people will also make the choice to go the grey route. I still question why Walmart takes returns without receipts when I've seen people return items that are clearly not sold by Walmart and just arguing for the credit. I guess the amount is low enough for them not to care or they only target dealer level returns. Plus I suppose they take your information so they could ban you from making returns since they pay a company to track returns.
fairypansa, i wasn't going to call you out in the video game deal section, but you had to put my username on your profile along with your slanderous statements, and report my posts to the mods. two can play that game. worst case, i go out like mask

Figured I'd ask here. I want to get Halo 5 and want to get all the pre-order bonuses. Is there anything wrong with pre-ordering at Gamestop and returning it later that week after redeeming the bonuses? Since the pre-order bonuses are just bonuses printed on the receipt and don't actually take anything from the game cost, I figured there would be no issues. Thoughts?

Are you going to open the game and play it?  If so, you're committing return fraud.  You're returning a game that is missing something and claiming it as complete for a full refund.

If you're not going to open the game, you're basically renting the game for that content.

Gamestop probably won't care.  The Halo 5 developers will probably care.

No, I won't be opening it. I was going to return it and just redeem the codes. I was thinking of getting the game elsewhere to keep. Since Gamestop generates the codes, I'll probably get it since there is nothing wrong with taking bonus content.

Is it considered return fraud to return a completely identical item (with receipt!) to a store that it may or may not have come from?

My family wanted me to make a Christmas list, so I did, which included Overwatch.  Then I saw how cheap I could get it during the Black Friday weekend ($28 from Best Buy), and I went ahead and nabbed it.  My reasoning was that if I got it for Christmas, I could just return the copy I bought, and if not, then I got it for cheap!

However, now I'm really itching to play the copy that I already own (especially because I think there's an in-game event coming up), and my Christmas gatherings may not be finished until New Year's, at which point my winter vacation is pretty much over.

Now I'm wondering if I can go ahead and open my copy (A), and if i do get a copy (B) for Christmas, can I return it to Best Buy with the reciept for copy A?  I've looked at two copies side-by-side and they seem completely identical, right down to the bar code.  Would that be considered return fraud?

Is it considered return fraud to return a completely identical item (with receipt!) to a store that it may or may not have come from?

My family wanted me to make a Christmas list, so I did, which included Overwatch. Then I saw how cheap I could get it during the Black Friday weekend ($28 from Best Buy), and I went ahead and nabbed it. My reasoning was that if I got it for Christmas, I could just return the copy I bought, and if not, then I got it for cheap!

However, now I'm really itching to play the copy that I already own (especially because I think there's an in-game event coming up), and my Christmas gatherings may not be finished until New Year's, at which point my winter vacation is pretty much over.

Now I'm wondering if I can go ahead and open my copy (A), and if i do get a copy (B) for Christmas, can I return it to Best Buy with the reciept for copy A? I've looked at two copies side-by-side and they seem completely identical, right down to the bar code. Would that be considered return fraud?
Nothing wrong with that at all.

You're still returning the exact same version of Overwatch to the store the same version was purchased at. Sure the atoms that make up the copy you are returning are not the same, but there is noting fraud about it

I see no problems with it either. It's dickish to return a damaged copy sometimes, but that's about it. For example, Best Buy sends you something with GCU, it arrives damaged, but your Gamestop full price copy is in perfect condition. You return the damaged Best Buy copy to Gamestop. I mean, no one likes Gamestop, but still.

Thanks for the replies!  I feel better about it knowing that fellow CAGs don't think there's anything wrong, as return fraud is generally frowned upon around here.  I prefer to keep things on the up-and-up.

I'll probably go ahead and go through with it later this month then, as I get closer to my vacation.

bread's done
Back