Short Survey on Game Collection (for a college paper)

C0dy

CAGiversary!
Hey everyone, I am writing a paper for college on the hobby of game collecting. If you don't mind, I'm looking for some answers to a few questions in order to get some insight from collectors about their motives for collecting. All answers are appreciated. In no particular order, here are the five questions.

1. Why do you enjoy collecting games?

2. What games do you collect? (ie do you specialize in a certain system, company, etc)

3. How did you get started collecting games?

4. Through what methods do you most often obtain the games you purchase? (Stores, online shopping, garage sales, etc)

5. What do you consider the most prized item of your collection?

There are worse things to spend my money on, like crack.

2. What games do you collect? (ie do you specialize in a certain system, company, etc)

Anything I feel like at that point in time. I go through spurts, but all systems in general.

Bought a DS, never turned back.

4. Through what methods do you most often obtain the games you purchase? (Stores, online shopping, garage sales, etc)

Online shopping majority. 90% probably.

I don't play favorites. They're all special to me.

[quote name='C0dy']
[/QUOTE]
Gives me something to focus on.

[quote name='C0dy']
[/QUOTE]
The ones I like.

[quote name='C0dy']
[/QUOTE]
I started to create my own games through modding and garnered an appreciation for games with effort and creativity put in them.

[quote name='C0dy']
[/QUOTE]
Honestly, all of the above.

[quote name='C0dy']
[/QUOTE]
I guess my copy of TMNT Tournament Fighters for the SNES. I have games worth a whole lot more, but I tie a lot of nostalgic value in that one.

Because it's one of many personal hobbies I enjoy and I can really never get enough of since I was a kid

Anything fun.

Since realizing that when you're broke as a kid you don't get that much for trade in anyways at the time so might as well keep them.

Mostly stores and online.

Nothing particularly, after awhile they're all going to come down to gameplay because by now I doubt I'll ever sell much of anything from what I own.

I've always enjoyed collecting. Card games, comics, TF2 hats for a while. Game collecting is just the most recent collection I've started to acquire. I think I'll be sticking with it for a while though, since it seems like it will hold value (and my interest) better than a lot of other collections I've had.

I love Sega, especially the Genesis and Dreamcast, but basically whatever strikes my fancy. I'll often go on a mini buying spree of whatever new console I acquire, though any cool Sega stuff will always pique my interest

This site :lol:
Well, not entirely. A huge box of NES games at a garage sale a couple years ago that I figured I could resell for more than the $100 asking price got me interested. In the midst of trying to figure out what any of them were worth I learned a lot about the history of them, and it got me started. I ended up only selling enough of them here in a lowball to recoup my costs, and keeping the rest.

A decent mix, I pretty much never buy retail unless it absolutely can't be avoided or if there's an awesome clearance. I go thrifting and to pawn shops a LOT, and flea marketing when I can, as it's a good way to get stuff that's usually rarer or more expensive cheaply. It's also more fun and more fulfilling to go searching for something great amidst the junk then it is to just waltz into a store and buy something. Same thing with the many card games I collected, I'd always prefer to get a booster pack and hope for something cool than to buy the single I wanted. I buy online a lot too, obviously buying or trading here.

For the memories of good times, keeping them as trophies of accomplishment, and as reference for educational purposes.

Super Nintendo and Playstation 1 are my focus, with some dabbling in other areas. I've always been into RPGs and Survival Horror; I tend to retain games I enjoyed and stay away from the duds.

Being a gamer there were certain titles I could just never get rid of due to the strong attachment; it just happens over time from playing and learning what other people are into.

Garage sales are a huge means of acquisition as of late, online shopping and purchases from CAGs would probably rank second, Gamestop being third.

It's not easy to pick, but I'd say my Persona 2 for Playstation sticks out because it was nearly impossible for me to find in my pre-ecommerce days (I keep the yellow pre-owned sticker on there, it gives the case character). Lots of grinding required to complete the game too, sometimes it's the troubled relationships that are the most rewarding, eh?

I enjoy collecting games because I like to play them. And almost all of the games I own, I often go back and play again or start over (RPG's) so I get my money's worth out of them. Besides I'm notorious for collecting things I like (Just look at my Lego collection)

I specialize in games that I like. If I REALLY love the game (If it's part of my top ten) then I will do my best to acquire every port of the game, for example with Donkey Kong Country 2, I already have the SNES and the Gameboy version complete and just missed out on winning an auction for the GBA complete version. I also sometimes collect games I may not love but am a fan of the character but that's kinda rare. I also have this strange urge to collect Resident Evil games even though I'm scared stiff of them but am enamored with the story behind them...I'm weird.

I...don't know. I guess it really started when I got a job and decided it'd really be nice to own all those cool SNES games in the flesh rather than play them on a goofy emulator. It kind of went from there. Yea, it really did start from me wanting to own the games rather than just play them on an emulator.

Anywhere. I've found quite a few games from the pawn stores, flea market and thrift stores but I've bought quite a few others online and from other stores. I rarely ever pay retail price for a game, I can't be bothered and I would rather have more money for MORE games. And other stuff.

That is super tough because I love everything in my collection but if there was one game that is the prize jewel of my collection....it'd be a tie between my copy of Sonic 2 or Sonic 3. Both games were from my childhood (I got Sonic 2 when my dad first bought us a Genesis waaaaaaay back in 91) and since it was the only videogame we had for a while (Parents let us only play on the weekends), I played the hell out of them. They are my favorite games and you'd be hard pressed to get them from me...EVER.

Hard to say. I guess it's just simply because they're fun to play.

I mostly collect 360 games, with a very select few original Xbox games thrown in, but only ones that are backwards compatible. Also kind of collecting 3DS games.

I bought a 360 last October, and before I even bought it I realized that games are expensive, and if I enjoy a game, and there's any chance I'd want to come back to it, why trade it away and re-buy it when I can just collect them and have my group. And that's really the idea I'm taking with me to all my systems. I actually like keeping it relatively small. I have I think 43 or so 360 games, 3 Xbox games, and 2 3DS games, and I'm running out of room. I don't want to have like 8 huge shelves packed with games.

Almost all were bought at GameStop, with a few coming from a garage sale.

I would have to say my copy of Star Wars The Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith Edition. It took me a while to find, I got a great deal on it when I did find it, and since I bought it the value has gone up, so I'm happy. Runners-up would be my Gears 3 Epic Edition and Batman Arkham City LE.

I'm extremely OCD, and collecting has been something I've enjoyed doing since I was very young. Given my huge interest in video games, it was extremely natural for the two to go together for me.

I collect from most genres. I don't go any farther back than the 23 bit systems though. The mainstay of my collection, however, are RPGs. I have every game of nearly every series I'm interested in at all. That took a lot of time and money..a lot...A LOT lol

I always have to a certain extent just due to how I am. I started getting really serious about it though when I got more into RPGs. There were so many series that I liked, and so many games in each one that it was just exciting to start slimming down the list and growing the shelf!

90% of all my games come from here/amazon/ebay. I only want like new and complete, so gamestop hasn't been an option since I was very young haha.

I have every single US Squaresoft game for the PS1 black label, complete, and like new. I think that is pretty awesome.

-I like the thrill of the chase on stuff that I don't have. Popping into a random GS to see what they have is very entertaining to me.

-I used to collect for every system I have owned but have since moved onto pretty much LE/CE/SE's and almost anything on the xbox 360.

-I realized how much money I was losing trading in games all the time to gamestop. It did help getting a nice paying job out of college so I can afford to buy more and trade less.

-Any and every means except stealing and fraudulent means.

-My Magna Carta 2 LE. Only 1000 made, not even playasia had them available. You could only get it in Korea. :)

Besides the fact that I love playing games, I love the feeling when I buy a game with money I earned (Through begging and doing house work).

Any that i find interesting,

My uncle gave me his NES when i was real young. I played the few games he gave me, that worked, to hell and back. My cousin gave me my N64 and a few games that I did the same too. (I really sucked at games then so I did not get far).

I buy them at Stores, Garage Sales, and my friends have given me a few PC games for Steam.(I can't buy them myself because I do not have a credit card)

My collection itself. I don't think I could part with most of it. (I have sold a few games...I have regreted it ever since)

Typed,
Daw19yoyo

Thanks everyone, getting a lot of info between here and a couple other sites. Keep 'em coming :)

I just enjoy being able to go nuts and play 10 completely random games, any time I want. I also see it as an invest of sorts as games do seem to hold their value well though I understand it could crash at any point... but I really don't care.

Most of my collection is PS1 and PS2 games though I'm fairly finished getting everything I've wanted for those systems. I've expended into specific classic games for the SNES, GB/GBC, SegaCD and Saturn. I've got games for nearly every popular system dating back to the NES with the exception of the N64 and Genesis.

It started as a backlog, due to me finding CAG. After my backlog became 50 games, I knew I'd never finish this backlog and thus, it became a collection of over 900 games.

Unless it's a game I really want, I wait until a game is really cheap and buy it then. For older games, I just randomly hunt eBay auctions for a good deal.

My complete Chrono Trigger (SNES). It's not the most valuable or in the prettiest shape but it's my favorite game. Also, my Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening.. I spent hours playing that game back in the day on the Game Boy.

Cause i love staring at them on my shelf.

2. What games do you collect? (ie do you specialize in a certain system, company, etc) Ive been drawn towards DS and PSP LE/CE games.

CAG

Online and importing

all of them

At the risk (guarantee?) of sounding like a loser, I'm going to be totally honest. Well, I'm keeping out most of the illegal details, but opted to leave in stuff that makes me sound sad 'cause really, I don't think it's even that significant.

The very first answer that comes to mind is "I don't know, I can't help myself." I've always been very materialistic and I don't know why. Mom didn't hug me enough or something, I guess. That may also be related to my second reason: I want to show off by displaying an impressive collection because I have nothing else going for me. It actually gets a little more depressing than that, but I'll quit while I can. But perhaps more importantly: I enjoy games and I take comfort in knowing that I always have them around in case I want to play them or if visitors want to play them.

Video games and board games. That's about as specific as I can get. I just get whatever I think is fun. Sometimes, not even that is a requirement.

I bought one. Then I bought another. And so on. It was never my intention to collect them; that's just the way it went.

Mostly online through eBay and Amazon. But I've also obtained a lot of games by writing reviews, which is the only reason why I write them. Other games are from surveys, contests, promotions, and the like. I've also pirated a ton of games, but I don't count those as part of my collection (more like placeholders until I get an official copy).

Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt. It was my first.

[quote name='Squarehard']1. Why do you enjoy collecting games?

There are worse things to spend my money on, like crack.[/QUOTE]
So, you just collect games because they're not crack? That kind of attitude is how Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize.

I think a lot of it is the thrill of the hunt. Like one day I'll hear about a game that is supposed to be really awesome and then I'll make it a point to try and track it down for a good price. There is also a lot of nostalgic value to a lot of the games and I will sit down and play them again just for fun. It's not the same when you do it with an emulator.

Just games I like mostly, but I think PS2 games take up the most space on my shelf. I do focus a lot on specific companies, even some of their weaker releases, such as Clover Studios, Working Designs, pre-merger Square, etc.

It kind of happened by accident I think. Growing up, I always kept all my games because I would always go back and replay them, and ones I had gotten rid of I would always regret doing it. As a poor college student I would buy out of necessity, or I would buy to resell. Lots of pawn shops at the time didn't know the value of what they had, so I would buy low and sell high. (I fondly remember buying Mega Man X3 for $5 and then reselling for almost $130). When I finally got a "real" job, I would continue to buy cheap, though since I didn't need the added income I just kept all of my finds. It escalated from there, you could say.

I do a few online purchases, but most of what I do is local such as pawn shops, game stores, etc.

That's tough. Can I say all of them? I dunno, I've always taken pride in having games like Earthbound for SNES, Dragon Force for Saturn, and so forth.

bread's done
Back