Should CAG take an official stance against EA?

Man, you people are really dumb. EA has already said they were gonna raise prices!!!!!!!!!

How much worse do you think it would be if they continued to buy up every company?

It is right in front of your face. Why can't you people see it?

[quote name='Scrubking']Man, you people are really dumb. EA has already said they were gonna raise prices!!!!!!!!!

How much worse do you think it would be if they continued to buy up every company?

It is right in front of your face. Why can't you people see it?[/quote]

Other compaines have said the same thing. Why aren't you starting a crusade against them?

[quote name='Scrubking']Man, you people are really dumb. EA has already said they were gonna raise prices!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, I've got more than enough games to play for right now anyway. The market for video games will take care of itself. Raised prices does not translate into equal or higher sales. It will easily decrease sales.

[quote name='greendj27'][quote name='Scrubking']Man, you people are really dumb. EA has already said they were gonna raise prices!!!!!!!!!

Other compaines have said the same thing. Why aren't you starting a crusade against them?[/quote]

After I'm done with EA. One evil company at a time.

Not to mention there is a difference between raising prices because of production costs which is what most companies are saying and just raising prices cause you have a monopoly on all sports games.

I can't see it because the tin foil hat you're wearing is reflecting the sun right into my eyes.

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='greendj27'][quote name='Scrubking']Man, you people are really dumb. EA has already said they were gonna raise prices!!!!!!!!!

Other compaines have said the same thing. Why aren't you starting a crusade against them?[/quote]

Not to mention there is a difference between raising prices because of production costs which is what most companies are saying and just raising prices cause you have a monopoly on all sports games.[/quote]

They don't have a monopoly on all sports games though. PLus, when EA said they might have to raise prices they would be doing it because of rising development costs. My main point is that there are lots of other companies doing the same things as EA, yet EA is taking all of the heat. It jsut gets annoying to see so many threads bashing on EA when they aren't the only one. Either way, I think we need to wait a little while to see what is going to happen with pricing. I assume EA realizes that raising prices does not necessarily equal higher profits. Its all based on the supply and demand curve, so just because EA suggested it MAY raise prices does not mean they actually will.

[quote name='JimmieMac'][quote name='Scrubking']Man, you people are really dumb. EA has already said they were gonna raise prices!!!!!!!!!

I can't see it because the tin foil hat you're wearing is reflecting the sun right into my eyes.[/quote]

Jimmy you are cracking me up today. :rofl:

[quote name='greendj27'][quote name='JimmieMac'][quote name='Scrubking']Man, you people are really dumb. EA has already said they were gonna raise prices!!!!!!!!!

I can't see it because the tin foil hat you're wearing is reflecting the sun right into my eyes.[/quote]

Jimmy you are cracking me up today. :rofl:[/quote]

:rofl: Yeah, for being an unfunny douche, he's been hitting on all cylinders today.

[quote name='RichD1'][quote name='Scrubking']I hope all you people who support EA realize that if EA continues on the path they are on there will only be a handful of publishers in the future where EA publishes 75% of all the games or worse. Prices will go through the roof to somewhere like $80 a game with little to no price drop.

.[/quote]

I'd like to live in your fantasy world of chocolate rivers and candy rain and ginger bread houses.[/quote]

How is it a fantasy world? Look at EA's recent track record. They seem to be hell-bent on gaining a monopoly, and it's not like things like this haven't happened before. Look at Microsoft in the 1990s.

[quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='Scrubking']I hope all you people who support EA realize that if EA continues on the path they are on there will only be a handful of publishers in the future where EA publishes 75% of all the games or worse. Prices will go through the roof to somewhere like $80 a game with little to no price drop.

And all because everyone said it wasn't a big deal, or that nothing could be done.

I thought CAG was composed of people who liked cheap games. I guess I was wrong.[/quote]

Yep and then to continue your story. The games come out at $80, no one buys them, and then they drop in price. Besides, if the games are $80 then just don't buy them, no one is forcing you to spend your money on entertainment products.[/quote]

People WILL pay for it. People paid that much for NES games, for SNES games, and for Genesis games. The demand is there; if there is no other alternative beyond paying the higher price, people will do it. If it means they buy less games, so be it - the Madden fix outweighs the need for other games for a lot of people.

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='greendj27'][quote name='Scrubking']Man, you people are really dumb. EA has already said they were gonna raise prices!!!!!!!!!

Not to mention there is a difference between raising prices because of production costs which is what most companies are saying and just raising prices cause you have a monopoly on all sports games.[/quote]

I'd like to see where you get your news from.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='greendj27'][quote name='Scrubking']Man, you people are really dumb. EA has already said they were gonna raise prices!!!!!!!!!

I'd like to see where you get your news from.[/quote]

No...no, I don't think you'd like to see it.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='RichD1'][quote name='Scrubking']I hope all you people who support EA realize that if EA continues on the path they are on there will only be a handful of publishers in the future where EA publishes 75% of all the games or worse. Prices will go through the roof to somewhere like $80 a game with little to no price drop.

.[/quote]

I'd like to live in your fantasy world of chocolate rivers and candy rain and ginger bread houses.[/quote]

How is it a fantasy world? Look at EA's recent track record. They seem to be hell-bent on gaining a monopoly, and it's not like things like this haven't happened before. Look at Microsoft in the 1990s.

[quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='Scrubking']I hope all you people who support EA realize that if EA continues on the path they are on there will only be a handful of publishers in the future where EA publishes 75% of all the games or worse. Prices will go through the roof to somewhere like $80 a game with little to no price drop.

And all because everyone said it wasn't a big deal, or that nothing could be done.

I thought CAG was composed of people who liked cheap games. I guess I was wrong.[/quote]

Yep and then to continue your story. The games come out at $80, no one buys them, and then they drop in price. Besides, if the games are $80 then just don't buy them, no one is forcing you to spend your money on entertainment products.[/quote]

People WILL pay for it. People paid that much for NES games, for SNES games, and for Genesis games. The demand is there; if there is no other alternative beyond paying the higher price, people will do it. If it means they buy less games, so be it - the Madden fix outweighs the need for other games for a lot of people.[/quote]

Well if people were paying that high for games on those systems then how come I can go out and buy a wide variety of good games for $20 at almost any store that I go to. Even the new games don't go above $50 anymore.

Obviously not enough people were paying that much for the games otherwise they would still be priced that high!

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='greendj27'][quote name='Scrubking']Man, you people are really dumb. EA has already said they were gonna raise prices!!!!!!!!!

I'd like to see where you get your news from.[/quote]

No...no, I don't think you'd like to see it.[/quote]

Yeah, you're probably right.

A smart business move? Yes. Good for the gaming industry? No.

You can applaud EA all you want, but it doesn't mean they have to try any harder to improve the quality of their games. I fear we're going to be stuck with another version Madden '05 every year until 2010.

[quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='RichD1'][quote name='Scrubking']I hope all you people who support EA realize that if EA continues on the path they are on there will only be a handful of publishers in the future where EA publishes 75% of all the games or worse. Prices will go through the roof to somewhere like $80 a game with little to no price drop.

.[/quote]

People WILL pay for it. People paid that much for NES games, for SNES games, and for Genesis games. The demand is there; if there is no other alternative beyond paying the higher price, people will do it. If it means they buy less games, so be it - the Madden fix outweighs the need for other games for a lot of people.[/quote]

Well if people were paying that high for games on those systems then how come I can go out and buy a wide variety of good games for $20 at almost any store that I go to. Even the new games don't go above $50 anymore.

Obviously not enough people were paying that much for the games otherwise they would still be priced that high![/quote]

If "not enough people" were paying that much for games, we wouldn't have a console market. The reason why prices dropped is BECAUSE people paid that much; that allowed the industry to drop prices, which led to an increase in demand. Economics, man.

Beyond that, the "good games" in question fall into one of three groups. They've "value titles" like Katamari Damacy, which were made cheaply and exist specifically to be sold at that price, discounted older games that weren't selling, or Greatest Hits games, which were rereleased BECAUSE they sold enough units at $50 apiece to recoup the development costs.

As much as I dislike EA (see sig) I don't think CAG should take any official stance.

It's up to each user to make up his or her own mind.

I'll do whatever i can to stop ea, i've always hated them and always will, i was going to buy Timesplitters 3 because it was just being published by ea, not acutally developed by them. now forget it, i'm getting rid of basically all my games with ea on them, and will not buy another ea title, even Timesplitters 3. Sega decides to sell their game for 20 bucks, so EA decides to remove a liscence they where using and steal ESPN from them.
This website is in game magazines often. i learned about it from EGM and recently read about it again in another . So if this site started to do something, people would notice, now the game magazines would never want to run an article about a website hating the biggest game company in the country when at least 30% of the games mentioned in that magazine are in some way related to ea.

My Main reason to hate EA,
They don't create new innovative games, they use a simple generic recipe to make a game. They are not a game developer, they are a game manufactuer, manufacturing games, while other companies are designing games. Get It?

double post time!!

An Anology of EA

EA makes games, games that if they were music would be sung my Ashlee Simpson and every mindless MTV zombie will love it no matter what. The generic, non-gaming educated public, sees that ea has many games, sells many games and hasn't really even been complained about too much. When you go to Amazon.com and buy a product, you can read customer reviews, most of the time, they are a quick little this is good, this sucks, because blah blah. When you get that product and it turns out that those 235 good reviews were basically useless because there's a major flaw in the product. you log in, and leave your Review of the product. We must leave our review of EA so that all can be informed of what is going on.

not trying to make this political, but isn't siding aganist a company that is practicing good business, aganist your way of thinking as a republican, or are you not a big fan of big business? Just wondering since you are a Republican and most republicans are fans of the free market economy and would not really care all that much about this

and my main problem with EA is they buy up companies to gut them, and they do not pay their employees for the overtime they work. Pretty shitty practices is going to lead to shitty games. The Stamper bros. practiced this policy for a long time (exceedingly high turnover from subpar working conditions and pay) and it nipped them in the butt. MS paid 400 million for a steaming pile of crap that has released more games on the GBA than on a MS system

[quote name='greendj27']PLus, when EA said they might have to raise prices they would be doing it because of rising development costs.[/quote]

The last game I bought the full $50 sticker shocker price was Dead or Alive: Ultimate and the game before that was Mobile Suit Gundam DX.

I would much rather denounce my gaming habbit than pay $55+ for even the latest Metal Gear Solid where Snakes kills all of the "Patriots" and fight a 300 foot Metal Gear. Or even Dead or Alive Chronos with almost realistic ladyflesh moving around in Team Ninja Glory.

If development costs make the prices of games higher, I would try to encourage a lot of people to stop paying for video games. Nintendo is trying to curb away rising production costs since they had to deal with that durring the N64 days and expensive carts.

We are the CHEAPASS GAMERS! Cheappy cheapy ASS gamers.

Not even the PS3 Devil May Cry with 20 enemies at once with 5 story bosses would make me pay $60 for a video game.

[quote name='Matarick'][quote name='greendj27']PLus, when EA said they might have to raise prices they would be doing it because of rising development costs.[/quote]

The last game I bought the full $50 sticker shocker price was Dead or Alive: Ultimate and the game before that was Mobile Suit Gundam DX.

I would much rather denounce my gaming habbit than pay $55+ for even the latest Metal Gear Solid where Snakes kills all of the "Patriots" and fight a 300 foot Metal Gear. Or even Dead or Alive Chronos with almost realistic ladyflesh moving around in Team Ninja Glory.

If development costs make the prices of games higher, I would try to encourage a lot of people to stop paying for video games. Nintendo is trying to curb away rising production costs since they had to deal with that durring the N64 days and expensive carts.

Not even the PS3 Devil May Cry with 20 enemies at once with 5 story bosses would make me pay $60 for a video game.[/quote]

Were you high when you wrote that? :roll:

[quote name='Matarick'][quote name='greendj27']PLus, when EA said they might have to raise prices they would be doing it because of rising development costs.[/quote]

Not even the PS3 Devil May Cry with 20 enemies at once with 5 story bosses would make me pay $60 for a video game.[/quote]

Please read everything I said. I ws responding to someone else saying that other compaines were considering raising prices because of development costs, while EA was raising prices because they have a monopoly on sports games.

Well ,as an example, California is considered anti conservative but obviously some conservatives live here. Just because CAG would rally against EA others would know there are some who accept EA. We are pretty much the only community who can resist EA and get noticed. Game news sites wouldn't be smart to rally against EA and Gamefaqs is way too unorganized and or retarded. The only problem I see is that Cheapy D may be hasseled to interview game magazines if this gets big enough.

[quote name='greendj27'][quote name='Scrubking']I hope all you people who support EA realize that if EA continues on the path they are on there will only be a handful of publishers in the future where EA publishes 75% of all the games or worse. Prices will go through the roof to somewhere like $80 a game with little to no price drop.

Once again you are guessing that any of that will happen. Noone really knows. Also, its fine if you want to criticize EA, but where are you when Nintendo buys a company or Sony or even Microsoft?

Regardless, this is Cheapy's site so the decision is his alone. We are all guests here. Not too mention that most of the guests so far say that the site should not have an official stand. But you don't care because they don't agree with what you want them to believe.[/quote]

That's right. Let's just wait and see what happens. Let's not do anything. Because once we have waited ten years for everything to unfold, we can all just get in our magical fantasy land time machine and come back to the present thread and say, "OMGosh, teh EA is teh MAJO/2Z SUXXXO/2Z!!shift+1!"

I, as Casey, am not trying to make this politics, but just as an analogy, look at the mess the Social Security and Welfare programs are in today. But as early as the 1880's, we had people on Capitol Hill trying to say there was a problem with the way it was suggested to set it up. Well, disaster struck (1929), they slapped something on a product and they shipped it. Now we have what we do today. Need another example? People warned of Hitler as he was slowly rising to power. No one wanted to do anything because he wasn't a threat to us. He came to rule Germany and started marching on other countries. Even the U.S. public didn't want to do anything because he was not our problem. It took Japan attacking us to bring us into the war. By the time we entered the war, pepole were starting to realize that Hitler was a threat to the whole planet. Entering as late as we did cost many more U.S. lives than it would have if we had done something sooner, and it almost gave him the win in the end. Even look at today. People have felt that the Federal Government should have certain powers to help protect it's citizens for a long time. Nothing was done. 9/11 happens. they scramble, slap a name on a product (The USA Patriot Act) and within a year you have people on both sides of the aisle saying that some things need to happen, but the Act was the wrong way to do it.

Like I said, I don't want to make a political debate, these are just widely known world events as examples.

Sure, you sit there in your gaming goodness now, claim conspiracy theory this, conspiracy theory that, but in the end, it is too late. You can't change the events of the past. They have already taken place. You have to realize what is happening in the world around you and do something about it now. No one is seriously asking for a lynch mob. As has already been stated, EA exploits their own employees. We aren't saying anything against those people. But it has also been stated that the general public doesn't realize what they are putting their money into unless someone shows them.

And I'm not going to vouch for Sony and M$, but as for your talking about Nintendo being like and unto EA, you know that that is crap. I'm not saying that Nintendo doesn't buy things up, because I'm sure that they have bought a company at some point in the past. But that is not the general rule, that would by far be the exception. They have, on the other hand, dumped tons of money into individual, independant developers. These developers become second party. And they develop some of the best titles that we have ever seen. This is because Nintendo sees potential somewhere, decides to invest in it, maybe they'll lend a producer from their staff to the company, out comes great products. But they don't buy the company up and devour them, then poop out crap games. They let them do what they want. Then most companies get thinking that they are God, break off from Nintendo or sell themselves out, and Nintendo lets this happen. Why? Because they know programmers and developers are a dime a dozen. They have made a nothing into a great developer before, and they probably will do it forever more. Examples are: Left Field, Rare, Silicon Knights, Retro will probably come soon, etc...

Sure, you sit there in your gaming goodness now, claim conspiracy theory this, conspiracy theory that, but in the end is too late. You can't change the events of the past. They have already taken place. You have to realize what is happening in the world around you and do something about it now.

Well said.
:applause:

[quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='RichD1'][quote name='Scrubking']I hope all you people who support EA realize that if EA continues on the path they are on there will only be a handful of publishers in the future where EA publishes 75% of all the games or worse. Prices will go through the roof to somewhere like $80 a game with little to no price drop.

.[/quote]

Obviously not enough people were paying that much for the games otherwise they would still be priced that high![/quote]

That makes no sense. Movies take more to produce than videogames and they are not even priced at $50. It's called mainstream. Besides that, back then there were added costs to development. They were called cartridge roms. Cartridge = Expensive :dunce: . Disc = Pennies on the dollar. There were many games in the 80's and early 90's that cost $59.99, $69.99, $79.99, even $99.99. And not because of greed, the respective size of cart was very expensive back then.

If people don't understand what is happening, they will pay for inflated prices. And if EA keeps going down the road they are on, people won't have any choice.

All Sega has to do is buy the Madden. People want to buy Madden and when they see that it is only 20 bucks they will go for it. I'm pretty sure that Sega has something up their sleeve. They are very creative

[quote name='Scrubking']
Sure, you sit there in your gaming goodness now, claim conspiracy theory this, conspiracy theory that, but in the end is too late. You can't change the events of the past. They have already taken place. You have to realize what is happening in the world around you and do something about it now.

Well said.
:applause:[/quote]

Well, here's to hoping FuturEA sends a killer cyborg back in time to stop you two from leading the resistance to victory.

I think CAG should take an official stance against EA! Having a monopoly (don't kid yourself, with the NFL license and ESPN in their pocket they have a monopoly over football in the gaming industry) allows them to set whatever price they want for their game. I don't think it'll be anything terribly outrageous but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the price went up 5 or 10 dollars. And we all know EA wants to charge for online play for Madden (it's why they weren't on Xbox Live before this year). There's no question they'll be charging a hefty fee for what is basically a single game exclusive matching service.

My vote, take a stand against EA! Never buy another one of their games new ever again!!!

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Scrubking']

Well said.

Well, here's to hoping FuturEA sends a killer cyborg back in time to stop you two from leading the resistance to victory.[/quote]

Your asinine remark is my exact point. I, nor anyone else is barking Doomsday. But if you sit on your tub of lard with a clicker, look at the news and say, "Look at all this bad stuff. I hate (so and so politician, etc.)." Then of course no change will take place. And if you say you'll do something if something happens, then you have already made the decision in the negative. Once it happens, it's too late.

[quote name='MorPhiend'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Scrubking']

Well said.

Well, here's to hoping FuturEA sends a killer cyborg back in time to stop you two from leading the resistance to victory.[/quote]

Your asinine remark is my exact point. I, nor anyone else is barking Doomsday. But if you sit on your tub of lard with a clicker, look at the news and say, "Look at all this bad stuff. I hate (so and so politician, etc.)." Then of course no change will take place. And if you say you'll do something if something happens, then you have already made the decision in the negative. Once it happens, it's too late.[/quote]

Actually, it appears Scrubking is doing exactly that. Making out EA to be the harbinger of doom for all the industry. One of those companies is hiding the One Ring and they'll keep buying them up until they find it! Bwah ha ha ha!

It's just silly. EA does not have the assets to buy up the whole or even to buy such a major portion as to be the controlling entity. Their moves in the football area only reflect their attempting to milk their primary cash cow to its utmost. In any given they release many games that are ultimately debit entries in the annual report. They are a big company but nowhere near omnipotent or capable of becoming such.

It isn't as though EA has the potential to own the worlds optical media manufacturing capacity. Anybody can create a software publishing operation regardless of EA. Anybody can publish a football game. If it isn't possible to sell a football game without a lot of branding attached I'd say the genre as a whole deserves to die as it's stopped being a game but rather just a form of masturbation for wannabe athletes.

[quote name='epobirs']If it isn't possible to sell a football game without a lot of branding attached I'd say the genre as a whole deserves to die as it's stopped being a game but rather just a form of masturbation for wannabe athletes.[/quote]

:applause:

People should take a moment to remember what CAG is before suggesting it should take any kind of position on this. By definition, CAG is against all publishers and retailers since its primary mission is to enable us to make purchase that offer little or no profit to those entities. Having us announce we're down on EA is like Kim Jong Il declaring he doesn't like the US. It is neither suprising or meaningful.

"I'm not going to buy any EA games because they're... what, LOTR:Third Age is $5 at Circuit City? I'm there, dude!"

[quote name='epobirs']People should take a moment to remember what CAG is before suggesting it should take any kind of position on this. By definition, CAG is against all publishers and retailers since its primary mission is to enable us to make purchase that offer little or no profit to those entities. Having us announce we're down on EA is like Kim Jong Il declaring he doesn't like the US. It is neither suprising or meaningful.

"I'm not going to buy any EA games because they're... what, LOTR:Third Age is $5 at Circuit City? I'm there, dude!"[/quote]

I still don't like EA, and I agree with Scrubking...but I need to start studying for finals, and I don't think continuing this fight will do anything.

You win. Thread over. :D

As much as I hate EA, this is a FORUM for christsakes! If Cheapy were to officially declare that it downright dislikes EA (sitewise) the objectivity of this forum would be reduced. Noobs joining the forum would assume that all members here are ALL anti-EA which is not right. Free speech would be muted before anyone utters the 1st word.

In other words, we here at CAG ALL believe in cheap games, not boycotting XYZ company. For that, I must disagree on having a unified stance on EA as we are not unified.

If you really have a urge to hurt EA, hurt them where it hurts most... the wallet.

VOTE WITH YOUR DOLLAR

If it isn't possible to sell a football game without a lot of branding attached

That's exactly the case. Why do you think EA bought all the brand names?

Making out EA to be the harbinger of doom for all the industry.

Right now they are only the doom of football games, but I am not willing to hope for the best and hope that EA doesn't keep growing and devouring the industry. Once again you people only see the now. I am acting on what may be, and I'm not about to ignore the pattern that EA is clearly establishing and most likely will continue.

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Scrubking']

Well said.

Do they own the license to that yet?

Wow, this thread has gone from a discussion to people comparing this with the events of 9/11. IT'S A FREAKIN VIDEO GAME COMPANY PEOPLE. Don't you think its a little over dramatic to say that EA is singlehandedly going to corrupt the entire video game industry?

[quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Scrubking']

Well said.

Do they own the license to that yet?[/quote]

They better be sure not to forget creditng Harlan Ellison if they try for it.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Wow, this thread has gone from a discussion to people comparing this with the events of 9/11. IT'S A FREAKIN VIDEO GAME COMPANY PEOPLE. Don't you think its a little over dramatic to say that EA is singlehandedly going to corrupt the entire video game industry?[/quote]

Yes they can easily influence the whole industry. In fact they already do.

[quote name='MorPhiend'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Scrubking']

Well said.

Your asinine remark is my exact point. I, nor anyone else is barking Doomsday. But if you sit on your tub of lard with a clicker, look at the news and say, "Look at all this bad stuff. I hate (so and so politician, etc.)." Then of course no change will take place. And if you say you'll do something if something happens, then you have already made the decision in the negative. Once it happens, it's too late.[/quote]

Go back and read what you wrote. And now imagine it being said by some b-list actor in a SciFi Original movie about futuristic freedom fighters who's come back to the past to warn us. I stand by my wish that you get hunted by cyborgs sent from a ruined future where EA rules all humanity.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='epobirs']People should take a moment to remember what CAG is before suggesting it should take any kind of position on this. By definition, CAG is against all publishers and retailers since its primary mission is to enable us to make purchase that offer little or no profit to those entities. Having us announce we're down on EA is like Kim Jong Il declaring he doesn't like the US. It is neither suprising or meaningful.

"I'm not going to buy any EA games because they're... what, LOTR:Third Age is $5 at Circuit City? I'm there, dude!"[/quote]

I still don't like EA, and I agree with Scrubking...but I need to start studying for finals, and I don't think continuing this fight will do anything.

You win. Thread over. :D[/quote]

Yeah, most people, when faced with logic or intelligence, can't put one single intelligent sentence together. And thus, they just spew fantasy at you and hope you buy it. I too have to study. And I agree with things that many have said, even people who don't have the exact same viewpoint (i.e.Scrubking, Punq, Gothic and epobirs, to name a few). And yes, you can share certain commonalities with someone who you don't agree with 100%. *gasp* In fact, I'd be scared of anyone who agreed 100% of the time with the thoughts of another human being.

[quote name='Scrubking']
If it isn't possible to sell a football game without a lot of branding attached

That's exactly the case. Why do you think EA bought all the brand names?

Making out EA to be the harbinger of doom for all the industry.

Right now they are only the doom of football games, but I am not willing to hope for the best and hope that EA doesn't keep growing and devouring the industry. Once again you people only see the now. I am acting on what may be, and I'm not about to ignore the pattern that EA is clearly establishing and most likely will continue.[/quote]

Nice selective quoting. Do you also do the reviewer quotes for movie ads?

I've said it before. If a really good footbal game without celebrity licenses (such as the one I worked on fifteen years ago) cannot do a good business then the market is composed of jag-offs, not fans of the game itself. Football was the only major team sport where EA could pull htis off. They don't sufficient marketshare anywhere else to make worthwhile to the branding companies. FIFA is the only other area that comes close but non-FIFA games do quite well and haven't slowed down at all since EA got that license to themselves. I guess soccor fans have more interest in the game itself. And beer.

I'll also repeat, EA couldn't buy out the industry even if they wanted to. Try to maximize their football cash cow has tied up a lot of their capital. Ubisoft is going to initiate a stock buy back to consolidate their position and thus drive up their stock price. At which point EA sells and makes a bundle. EA could just as easily put the money in an investment fund and nobody would have notice when that fund made big stock buys. It's just a lot of handwaving over nothing. Fanboys trying to add intrigue into their leaves by making a menace out of something barely aware of their existence.

Corporate purchases for sake of mere acquisition are typically money losers. There has to be a value achieve from ownership that is greater than what could be achieved otherwise. The Criterion purchase was driven primarily by EA's concern for future development tools. Burnout is a successful product but steering Renderware to fulfill their needs first rather than being one of several companies making requests was a worthy use of their capital. The future of EA's business depends on being able to exploit the new hardware in ways that drive consumer pruchases without development budgets and schedules running out of control. Microsoft and Sony have both made similar investment but the companies involved had lower profiles.

The sky stayed in place.

bread's done
Back