Should CAG take an official stance against EA?

It's just a lot of handwaving over nothing. Fanboys trying to add intrigue into their leaves by making a menace out of something barely aware of their existence.

Your trying to demean me is dumb. And you people seem to consitantly miss the point.

I hope that EA doesn't grow and take over the industry, but I am not going to watch and hope for the best. It remains to be seen, but what lies ahead for football gaming cannot possible be good.

And you call me a fanboy. A fanboy of what exactly? If you say of gamers then you are correct cause I am looking out for the best interest of all gamers so that they have more choice and won't have to pay inflated prices for games cause you can only get them from one place.

And the whole point of this IS to bring attention to the gamers and to EA. The issue is not that they don't know we exist - it's whether we make them know we exist and that we don't like what they are doing.

You people are backwards. :roll:

I agree with Scrubking. Not that they would care, but EA should know there are many gamers aware of their business practices, and that they are frowned upon. I don't plan on adding any more EA games to my collection.

[quote name='hohndog']I agree with Scrubking. Not that they would care, but EA should know there are many gamers aware of their business practices, and that they are frowned upon. I don't plan on adding any more EA games to my collection.[/quote]

Good. But another thing you can do to help the cause is to shut up about it. Because all this bluster is making me actually buy EA games for spite. Scrubking has made me order Tiger 2005 and pre-order Timesplitters 3 now. I didn't particularly like doing it, but that's where whining gets ya. Don't make the problem worse.

It would be great if we could take EA down but its impossible. Too many mainstream idiots buying their games year after year.

[quote name='hohndog']I agree with Scrubking. Not that they would care, but EA should know there are many gamers aware of their business practices, and that they are frowned upon. I don't plan on adding any more EA games to my collection.[/quote]

There are probably various online petitions just for this. Go post one of those here so everyone can vent their hatred.

Scrubking.

You're right and the naysayers are wrong.

Don't get beaten down by crap-hurlers who call you communist or fanboy. Fanboys are those who buy whatever is shoveled into their mouths, be that games or information. They can get passionate about PSP vs. DS or Solid Snake vs. Master Chief or Star Wars vs. LotR, but can't manage to work up anything but contempt for real world issues like monopolies or labor practices. IF EA says they'll have to endure endless product placement or pay $50 for a sports title instead of $20, the naysayers will shrug and say "Whacanido?"

If an oil company says they have to pay $1/gallon at the pump. They say: "Um. Okay." If that same oil company says they have to pay $5/gallon, they say: "Whatever. My mom drives me to school anyway." They do what they're told.

You're arguing with people who don't know and don't care.

You're getting a lot of flak from couch-dwellers who are just tossing kerosene onto the fire for their amusement.

And remember, there are 40 year-old gamers here and 14 year-old gamers. If some freshman in high school calls you a communist and they think Karl Marx is a bonus character from Dead or Alive or "Freedom Fighters X-treme: Dark Redemption: Genesis," why do you care what they think?

There are perhaps 30% of the posters on this thread who take this issue seriously and are interested in your idea. Ignore the other 70% and just focus on those who are serious about discussing this issue.

There are ways to impact EA. Maybe we don't boycott all EA games, but we start looking for alternatives. This is the same as finding non-Microsoft solutions. You don't need to go 100% Linux, but you begin the process by finding an alternative to IE. Then an alternative to Office. Pretty soon, you've reduced your debt to Microsoft and you've helped promote diversity and innovation where once there was only monopoly and sterility.

A lot of people make this out to be an extension of the fanboy Madden vs. ESPN thing, but the whole reason Madden and ESPN are as good as they are is because of competition. And competition is American. If anything, monopoly is communism.

These naysayers know not what they speak.

Making a stance on this issue would be stupid when there's clearly people that don't feel the same way. Only a 100% vote would justify it and as you can see, that's not the case. Thus, making a stance could alienate CAG's who just come here to relax and talk about games.

Want to impact EA?

Write a letter/email to EA and list all of the games you would have purchased in 2005. Like this:

-- Game 1 $50
-- Game 2 $50
-- Game 3 $50
-- Game 4 $50
-- Game 5 $50
-- Game 6 $50

Then make another list of competitors games you purchased instead. Or indicate that you choose to rent. Or that you convinced six of your friends to buy a single copy and share it rather than purchase six individual copies.

Take photos of you buying the competitors games. As many as you like. Send the photos to gaming sites. Post the photos here. iPod users succeeded in embarassing Apple into addressing their faulty battery issues. It can be done. It IS done every day.

Make sure you send it to a single EA employee. Not the company, but ONE person. Make copies and send it to other people in the company. Make sure you get the name and address of ONE specific EA higher-up. When that one person gets even 100 letters, it will have an impact. Believe me. Because chances are, for every one person who sent the letter, there are twenty other people who are doing the exact same thing, but didn't bother to send the letter.

Every time I have prevailed against a corporation or gained satisfaction for a faulty product, I have done so by going through their phone system and finding the phone extension for ONE employee. I call them up and I say: "Mr. John Smith, you don't know me, but I have a problem. And YOU are going to help me solve that problem. Your support system is broke. You are going to be the face of your company until I gain satisfaction for YOUR company's failure."

I don't threaten. I don't harass. I don't swear. I don't raise my voice. I just tell them I expect them to shepherd the process through from beginning to end and I will be calling them once a day for progress reports on my issue.

It has worked every single time.

In this way, I have succeeded in getting laptops, video cameras, and PDAs replaced when the company wanted me to chase endlessly around a web site, phone tree, or automated email correspondence until I gave up. Now, mind you, this is not a swindle where I browbeat some poor cubicle monkey into giving me free stuff. This has only been when I have purchased a faulty item which is fully in warranty and when the company has made a systemic attempt to dodge me and wear me down with intentional impediments. These corporations do it every day. It's business as usual.

CAGers are already, by the nature of this site, not prone to merely accept the MSRP or rebate stipulations or other tripwires that these companies throw in your way to wear you down through built-in obsolescence, rebate scams, and bait-and-switch.

Accept the status quo? Companies like EA have already tried to shut down sites like Fatwallet and this site is not a friend of theirs. You think they want you finding a way to pay LESS? If EA has its way, every store will sell their games for $60. And sites like CAG will be litigated into oblivion. End of story. And it will be a crime for you to lend your copy to a buddy for the weekend. A violation of the EULA, if you will.

Will writing an email "destroy" EA?

Uh.

No.

But, you would be surprised how much influence just one hundred people can have. EA can definitely be impacted by a small group of CAGers.

Absolutely.

Tell EA they'd better treat their talent and their customers with respect or they are going to feel some heat.

Does not grabbing my ankles make me a commie?

Fine.

I guess I'm a commie.

[quote name='Generic Man']If some freshman in high school calls you a communist and they think Karl Marx is a bonus character from Dead or Alive or "Freedom Fighters X-treme: Dark Redemption: Genesis," why do you care what they think?[/quote]

I think that's an awesome quote and I totally agree with your post.

I say boycott EA - follow your mind AND your heart - show those damn companies what you think of their anti-innovative business policies.

Everyone agrees that the RIAA is one of the most anti-consumer lobbyist groups out there, yet we don't stomp them and the labels that support them into the ground because too many young idiots have to go out and buy the new Ashlee Simpson CD on the release date. That doesn't mean I'm going to give up the fight - I'm not buying one CD until they stop suing 12 year-olds in the projects and seniors on pension plans.

Vote with your dollar - all Americans should realize that we're the country of capitalism and freedom, not the country where we whine about how if I don't buy "Burnout 5" it doesn't make any difference to EA.

Bring that attitude into your whole life - you do make a difference, be it big or small.

It's your choice. WAKE UP!

[quote name='Generic Man'] iPod users succeeded in embarassing Apple into addressing their faulty battery issues. It can be done. It IS done every day.[/quote]

I stopped readind here to tell you the truth. Sure it worked with iPod, I mean afterall they only have something like 80% of the harddrive based mp3 player market. They would have had much more if it wasn't for this. I'd be willing to bet the majority of people still don't realize that they can't change the battery in their iPod without sending it into Apple with $100.

I will agree that CAG should not take a stand on this issue. You'll never get consensus anyway. And as I said, sites like this are already targeted by companies like EA anyway.

Just ask Thinksecret.

"Apple suit foreshadows coming products"
http://news.com.com/Apple+suit+foreshadows+coming+products/2100-1047_3-5513582.html

Or Fatwallet.

"Big Retailers Squeeze FatWallet"
http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,56504,00.html

If you step on these companies' toes, they will freaking erase you without blinking. If you think sites like CAG are just places where you can swap out money saving gossip and talk about Legend of Zelda, you're dreaming. Sites like this only remain unmolested by companies like EA until they become successful and then watch as CAG gets bullied by the big retailers who consider your deal info "piracy" and "commercial terrorism."

However, this can be a place where CAGers of a like mind consider how best to make their displeasure with EA's policies known. If you support CAG, its mission, and your rights as consumers, you'll take EA and its policies seriously.

Alright.

I'm done soapboxing.

Time to play some videogames.

Adieu.

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='hohndog']I agree with Scrubking. Not that they would care, but EA should know there are many gamers aware of their business practices, and that they are frowned upon. I don't plan on adding any more EA games to my collection.[/quote]

Good. But another thing you can do to help the cause is to shut up about it. Because all this bluster is making me actually buy EA games for spite. Scrubking has made me order Tiger 2005 and pre-order Timesplitters 3 now. I didn't particularly like doing it, but that's where whining gets ya. Don't make the problem worse.[/quote]

You've got to be kidding me.

This is ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous. There are so many more important things out in the world, and we're worried about a pseudo-monopoly?

CAG is not a political party. Geez.

By the way, the point of any action is not to destroy EA.

EA makes good games.

The point is to influence EA.

This is not a zero sum issue.

Maybe we could take a stand as a community against racism or low infant mortality or drug use... But I find it simply demeaning and silly to 'take a stand' against a 'monopoly' of a software company.

quoted from another thread.

Lets not put videogames in such an important category!

[quote name='Scrubking']I think it would be good for CAG to take an official stance against EA. Not only because they are single handedly devouring the gaming Industry, but because it would raise awareness and help people see what is really going on. Like it has been said a lot of gamers have no clue what goes on in the Industry, but if they knew about the slimy tactics of EA they might do the right thing and not buy their games.

Personally I am utterly disgusted with EA, as are many, but it is time to do something about it and the least CAG could do is raise awareness on the subject in an official manner.

I would hope that CAG does not want to see EA take over the gaming Industry and raise prices to high heaven. After all, CAG is about cheap games.

Here is the latest in EA's takeover of the gaming industry.[/quote]

Why should CAG take an 'official' stance on anything ? except maybe demanding good games at a cheapass price. Honestly, you can't really believe that EA has a monopoly on dirty tactics, do you? How about MS, sony and N swallowing up developers, making back door deals, spereading misinformation, strongarming retailers for shelfspace, influencing trade journalists or threatening them for review content. It's not any different from any other business, or any other company in this business. It's all happened before too in past console generations.

Vote with your dollar and stop trying to use other groups as your agents. They don't give a shit about us cheapasses anyway, we're botom feeders as far as they're concerned. They make money off full retail, we don't pay full retail so we can squak all we want while they laugh all the way to the bank. Get real. You don't like their games, make your own.

[quote name='Generic Man']I will agree that CAG should not take a stand on this issue. You'll never get consensus anyway. And as I said, sites like this are already targeted by companies like EA anyway.

Just ask Thinksecret.

"Apple suit foreshadows coming products"
http://news.com.com/Apple+suit+foreshadows+coming+products/2100-1047_3-5513582.html

Or Fatwallet.

"Big Retailers Squeeze FatWallet"
http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,56504,00.html

If you step on these companies' toes, they will freaking erase you without blinking. If you think sites like CAG are just places where you can swap out money saving gossip and talk about Legend of Zelda, you're dreaming. Sites like this only remain unmolested by companies like EA until they become successful and then watch as CAG gets bullied by the big retailers who consider your deal info "piracy" and "commercial terrorism."

However, this can be a place where CAGers of a like mind consider how best to make their displeasure with EA's policies known. If you support CAG, its mission, and your rights as consumers, you'll take EA and its policies seriously.

Alright.

I'm done soapboxing.

Time to play some videogames.

Adieu.[/quote]

we dont have to worry about that
cheapy is married to one of them big city lawya's

Two people in a row making with the much-sense. Some people haven't lost a grip on what's important in life, I see.

Edit: Well, Punq jumped in there, but his post makes sense too in a different way, so maybe 2.5?

No.

To me this would have been the exact same thing as CAG taking a stance on the election. It's an extremely divisive issue and it is not fair to encompass an entire community within a single viewpoint. This is a complex issue and although it angers many of the users here, there are many who are not up in arms. To make a glaring statement either opposing or supporting EA would be unfair to CAG and would forever taint CAG as a political organization and not a forum for gamers looking for inexpensive games.

Don't get me wrong, I think we should definitely discuss this deal. Talk about what pisses you off or pleases you. Just don't expect everyone to agree with you. And don't ask all of CAG to be represented by your idea, and only your idea.

I think the real question is: "Should CAG make an official dance against EA?" I say yes, and I propose this one:

1990.gif

Only it properly conveys the rage welling deep in all of us over this issue.

[quote name='Generic Man']Want to impact EA?

Write a letter/email to EA and list all of the games you would have purchased in 2005. Like this:

-- Game 1 $50
-- Game 2 $50
-- Game 3 $50
-- Game 4 $50
-- Game 5 $50
-- Game 6 $50

Then make another list of competitors games you purchased instead. Or indicate that you choose to rent. Or that you convinced six of your friends to buy a single copy and share it rather than purchase six individual copies.

Take photos of you buying the competitors games. As many as you like. Send the photos to gaming sites. Post the photos here. iPod users succeeded in embarassing Apple into addressing their faulty battery issues. It can be done. It IS done every day.
[/quote]

This isn't going to have the slightest effect. First of all, we aren't talking about a faulty product here, so there whole line of reasoning is moot.

Think about how those lists from CAGs are going to read. If I made a list of all the new game purchases I made in 2004 from EA and other publishers, it would be a very long list. But the column for price paid would never contain an amount higher than $15 and those would be the high end. I beleive the most recent EA title I bought was Ty 2 but that was at the TRU B2G1 sale, so it was $14 and change after tax. Any other EA games I bought in the last year went for the same amount or much less, as little as $5 in many cases.

This is not going to strike EA as someone whose good will has any bearing on their future.

[quote name='Scrubking']I think it would be good for CAG to take an official stance against EA. Not only because they are single handedly devouring the gaming Industry, but because it would raise awareness and help people see what is really going on. Like it has been said a lot of gamers have no clue what goes on in the Industry, but if they knew about the slimy tactics of EA they might do the right thing and not buy their games.

Personally I am utterly disgusted with EA, as are many, but it is time to do something about it and the least CAG could do is raise awareness on the subject in an official manner.

I would hope that CAG does not want to see EA take over the gaming Industry and raise prices to high heaven. After all, CAG is about cheap games.

Here is the latest in EA's takeover of the gaming industry.[/quote]

Well I think it would be good to take an official stance against skrubking, after all he is starting threads that don't actually help the average user get cheapass deals!

Personally I am utterly disgusted (well not really but I am trying to follow the spirit of this thread) with the Scrubking for posting such a thread that one would expect somesort of newbie to post. I hope to raise awareness of this kind of opinionated thread. I would hope that CAG does not want to belittle itself in so many of the kind of stupid arguements that are posted here.

Imagine if the web had existed during the years when Nintendo enjoyed an effective monopoly in the US thanks to highly restrictive developer contracts. (I had to sign off on one once as the listed associate producer on an NES port.) Because nobody bothered to make much fuss then. Sega finally sued Nintendo to break their stranglehold on developers. NEC, a much bigger company was too conflicted to take action for their US game division because their much larger semiconductor division had Nintendo as a major customer.

If EA is truly seen as threatening the industry there are no end of lawyers willing to take up the case of the myriad other companies out there.

[quote name='Death2Sanity']This is ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous. There are so many more important things out in the world, and we're worried about a pseudo-monopoly?

CAG is not a political party. Geez.[/quote]

Awesome.

Another "Why do they stop speeders when there are murderers and rapists in the world" arguement.

Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

I should clarify my position.

CAGers should take a stand for what they believe in (pro or anti EA)

I agree with everyone else that CAG the website is a corporate entity. They can do what they like, but the smart move would be to ignore the controversy and bring on the cheap games.

That doesn't exonerate each CAGer from following their own conscience and reasoning.

burnout 3 does kick ass, good point. i liked sega's football game better this year though and am really dissapointed sega can't keep pushing ea's football franchise.

i think we all have the energy to be concerned about ea's buisness practices and the other troubles of the world and the sense to know what matters most. stop acting as if our passions get in the way of world peace- they don't.

Maybe we could take a stand as a community against racism or low infant mortality or drug use... But I find it simply demeaning and silly to 'take a stand' against a 'monopoly' of a software company.

This gets back to my 40 year-old and 14 year-old gamer demographic on CAG. I seriously have to wonder if those who are posting that the labor practices and monopolistic tendencies of EA are irrelevant. Have the people who are saying this graduated from college? Do they support a family? Pay a mortgage?

For the employees of EA who are being denied their lawful wages and for the small developers who are being bludgeoned out of business, being able to draw a paycheck is easily on par with racism, low infant mortality, or drug use.

Do you think those EA employees filed their lawsuit because they ran out of games to play or because they had finished all of their manga or because there was nothing good on Adult Swim?

If you live with your parents or someone else is paying your rent, the issues at EA are "silly." If you have ever been cheated out of your pay or had your business go belly up, you would consider these issues far from silly. It's one thing to work in high school or college part time for disposable income.

If you really give a rip about the games you play, you'll support the PEOPLE who work to create them. That means compensating them fairly. That means speaking up when a company like EA cheats them and ultimately cheats you.

Why should CAG take an 'official' stance on anything ? except maybe demanding good games at a cheapass price.

You just answered your own question.

CAG is supposed to be about cheap games - hence the reason why I think it should take an official stance.

I also want to point out all the fools who want to point at bad behavior by other companies in order to justify not doing anything about EA. You realize how dumb that is?

Also people talk about how prices used to be $70 - yeah, that's great, but do you really want them to get up that high again? Of course not, so shut up and do something about it.

EA has already cornered the NFL football market and they tried to gobble up the NBA too! What's next? What company will they buy next? How high will the price for an NFL football game be next year? $60? $70? $80? Don't be surprised if it does go to up to $80

What do you think other companies will do when they see the $80 price tag? They will raise their prices as well.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='Cornfedwb']I'm all for CAG taking a stance congratulating EA on its business decisions....

They made a decision that Sega was starting to eat into their profits, so they took decisive action and eliminated the competition. Both licenses have been wonderful business moves.[/quote]

the first 30 times i saw you post this, i disagreed, but now i agree with you.

ea makes smart business decisions so it must be good for us consumers.

i will bow down to the mighty power of ea.

and all because fo you, and posting the same thing 100 times, see, i knew there had to be some point to posting it so often...

:roll:[/quote]

I post it in reply to every one of the 1,243 threads about how "EA is the Devil" "EA are a bunch of assholes" etc.

[quote name='Mr.Answer']Well I think it would be good to take an official stance against skrubking, after all he is starting threads that don't actually help the average user get cheapass deals!

Personally I am utterly disgusted (well not really but I am trying to follow the spirit of this thread) with the Scrubking for posting such a thread that one would expect somesort of newbie to post. I hope to raise awareness of this kind of opinionated thread. I would hope that CAG does not want to belittle itself in so many of the kind of stupid arguements that are posted here.[/quote]

Seeing as how SK has posted more deals (especially for free stuff) than you have actual posts, I think you should STFU.

Let me know if you want a link to an online guide to pulling your head out of your ass.

They won't get the message from an official CAG statement, and they won't get the message from writing letters. If you want to hurt them, don't buy their games. What's done is done, it's not like some big campaign is going to break the contracts that have been signed. If EA didn't think it was a proffitable move, they wouldn't have done it. So prove them wrong, and don't buy their stuff.

[quote name='PsyClerk'][quote name='Mr.Answer']Well I think it would be good to take an official stance against skrubking, after all he is starting threads that don't actually help the average user get cheapass deals!

Personally I am utterly disgusted (well not really but I am trying to follow the spirit of this thread) with the Scrubking for posting such a thread that one would expect somesort of newbie to post. I hope to raise awareness of this kind of opinionated thread. I would hope that CAG does not want to belittle itself in so many of the kind of stupid arguements that are posted here.[/quote]

Seeing as how SK has posted more deals (especially for free stuff) than you have actual posts, I think you should STFU.

Let me know if you want a link to an online guide to pulling your head out of your ass.[/quote]

No but if you can give me the official number of 'good posts' one has to make before having the 'freedom' for make 'an utterly disguting' post that would be very helpful.

Careful, Scrub, you're sounding like Michael Moore.

I'm not happy with EA's business practices of late, but I don't think CAG needs an official stance. Too many people disagree. Organize a new group to protest, although at this point, I don't see anything short of a court order making EA give up either the ESPN or NFL license exclusivity. I do wish you luck. Maybe they can be shamed into at least keeping prices down.

[quote name='Mr.Answer'][quote name='PsyClerk'][quote name='Mr.Answer']Well I think it would be good to take an official stance against skrubking, after all he is starting threads that don't actually help the average user get cheapass deals!

Let me know if you want a link to an online guide to pulling your head out of your ass.[/quote]

No but if you can give me the official number of 'good posts' one has to make before having the 'freedom' for make 'an utterly disguting' post that would be very helpful.[/quote]

Oh, don't worry about it. He's way wrong anyway. Even throwing in free non-game stuff SK hasn't posted 81 deals. I have to warn you though. Telling sk to shut the f.uck up has absolutely no effect. His head is carved from granite or something. It's best just to learn to enjoy his high, girlish wailing or, better yet, go to some sites and poke around for deals. Most have "sort by price" options. The power is yours!

[quote name='Cornfedwb']I'm all for CAG taking a stance congratulating EA on its business decisions....

They made a decision that Sega was starting to eat into their profits, so they took decisive action and eliminated the competition. Both licenses have been wonderful business moves.[/quote]

me agree

:twoguns: HATERS

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='jmcc']f[size=1 ].[ /size]uck[/quote]

Clever girl. :wink:[/quote]

But, am I a pretty girl?

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='jmcc']f[size=1 ].[ /size]uck[/quote]

But, am I a pretty girl?[/quote]

What was it that your cycling .gif sig used to say? "The saddest thing in the world is an ugly girl whose mother doesn't love them" and the like? I can't recall it exactly, but I suppose your answer lies somewhere in there. :wink:

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='jmcc']f[size=1 ].[ /size]uck[/quote]

But, am I a pretty girl?[/quote]

What was it that your cycling .gif sig used to say? "The saddest thing in the world is an ugly girl whose mother doesn't love them" and the like? I can't recall it exactly, but I suppose your answer lies somewhere in there. :wink:[/quote]

achewoodsigfinal.gif

Personally, I think the NFL (and to a much lesser extent, ESPN) should be receiving more flak for these deals.

The NFL is the one that decided to grant an exclusive license. They know the effects of their actions and I'm sure nobody had a gun to their head.

Any game company that had the opportunity to grab such a juicy license would jump on this deal in 2 seconds, if it made financial sense.

Yes, I know Sega makes quality sports games and I think it sucks that they are getting the shaft.
I am a fan of their NHL game and now I am worried that 2k5 could be their last hurrah.
But is any of this really EA's fault? I'm not so sure.

I can't make/keep a promise to boycott all EA games, but I can guarantee I will not buy any NFL tickets or merchandise.

I'd like to analyze these deals further and write a bit more when I have the time.

Well...that was probably the one reaction that I wasn't expecting Cheapy to have.

Thank you for not calling us idiots for starting this thread. :)

Now that we've got our answer, I see this thread either dying or devolving into OTT-style madness.

otter.gif

[quote name='CheapyD']Any game company that had the opportunity to grab such a juicy license would jump on this deal in 2 seconds, if it made financial sense. [/quote]

while i agree with the statement, you have to wonder if this was actully put up for bids, or if ea made them an offer.

say ea offered the nfl more than the nfl gets fron madden and 2k combined per year. they would be stupid to say no to that

given ea's current track record, i would tend to believe the latter.

bread's done
Back