Should I trade in my Xbox 360 for a PS3?

All you need to do is look at last generaation to see the trend this is going to take. The ps3 is picking up steam, and it's going to keep doing so untill it domnimates the market. (if that sounds fan boyish I'm sorry, It's just what I truly think is going to happen) Also the ps3 is going to outlast the 360..sony has stated on numorouse occasions that they plan on having the ps3 as thier main system untill at least 2015, while Microsoft will probally release a system following the typical 5-year system cycle simply to relase a reliable system that dosen't have such a high failure rate.

[quote name='silent h3ro']This is your opinion, not fact. There are people, believe it or not, that like PS exclusives more than 360 exclusives.

Once again your biased opinion that you are passing off as fact. I disagree that the 360 has more great games than the PS3, but that is because I like PlayStation exclusives in general, more so than 360 exclusives, imo. See what I did there? In my opinion.

I respect your opinion, but you don't have to say it like it's the god given truth.[/QUOTE]

Ermmmm no it has nothing to do with my opinion. I hate Halo but I would be a moron to call it a crap game, I hate MGS but again would have to be a moron to call it a crap game. On both systems it is clear what are the good games and what are the bad games, anyone can do it they just have to be willing to be an adult and put their own biases aside. Sadly though to many people cant do this nowdays and instead want to sit around kicking and screaming that their stupid childish opinion is worth as much as as other peoples opinions(I blame our parents who have raised the last few generations to think that every opinion is worth something and everyone is equal).

When you combine that fact with the fact that most people are horribly ignorant and do little to educate themselves you have opinions formed not just on childishness but also on ignorance. Sorry but its true and its the reason why games like Okami, Culdcept, Braid, Castle crashers and Valkyria Chronicles go overlooked. People want to talk about the console wars but I have found time and time again I know more about their system of choice then even they do.

Also I find it funny that at first you made it seem like you had a problem with what I was saying because you cant inherently claim a system is better but now it comes out that your a PS3 fan. Good job trying to cover up that little bias. Like I have said you can see a clear winner if you try most of the time(I say most of the time because by the end of this generation for the first time its probably going to be a close race vs a dominating victory). This is why those of us who arnt fanboys over the years have had to move from Nintendo to Sony and now to MS(though this gen there is no freaking way you can be a gamer and not own all 3 systems).

1) You pull your "facts" of general consensus out of your ass with no research and 2) when did the general consensus (which is again, bullshit) represent what I or any other CAG believe?

Lets see 1up, joystiq, gamerswithjobs, invisiblewalls and kotaku all off the top of my head have discussed the lack of titles on the PS3. All have come with the same consesus that I have. The last few years of the PS3 has been a joke but the PS3 has slowly built up steam the whole time.

And you can whine and bitch about general consesus but it just proves your a hypocrite that cherry picks the facts. Let me ask you a question. How do you know the 360 has a high break rate? Do you own one? Have you gone through several? And if you have and a friend or 2 have how do you know its not just luck or the models you bought? Because of a general consensus that the system has problems. See I am not a fanboy, I am a logical rational person that actually educates myself about my hobby and knows what the fuck I am talking about. I accept and hate the 360s break rate and am happy to talk shit about it. I would really prefer MS(believe it or not I was hoping Sony would stay on top for 1 more gen) not to be on top of the hill when it comes to good titles. But again I have that rare abilty lacking in most adults these days to set my own preferences aside and accept the facts.

All you need to do is look at last generaation to see the trend this is going to take. The ps3 is picking up steam, and it's going to keep doing so untill it domnimates the market. (if that sounds fan boyish I'm sorry, It's just what I truly think is going to happen) Also the ps3 is going to outlast the 360..sony has stated on numorouse occasions that they plan on having the ps3 as thier main system untill at least 2015, while Microsoft will probally release a system following the typical 5-year system cycle simply to relase a reliable system that dosen't have such a high failure rate.

Looking at the last 2 generations tells you nothing and if anything your taking the wrong lesson from what we can see. The last 2 generations Sony didnt have by far the most expensive console on the market. The last generation we saw stuff like Final Fantasy come out within 2 years of the consoles release and a slew of unknown stuff like Shadow Hearts. We saw developers flock to the system with announced titles and compliments on how cheap and easy it was to develop for. Last generation you saw gamers buying the system in the first year by the bus because they trust the Sony brand and knew what was coming. So we saw a fast pick up after the first year but overall it wasnt that slow of a start to begin with and support itself didnt need to pick up it was there from day 1. This gen is compltly different, developers are annoyed with Sony and how much the PS3 costs both as a system and to develop for. This gen you see most gamers annoyed over the price and nervous over how many titles the system will receive. This gen you dont see as many announced big exclusives.

And the 2015 thing is a joke. Sony may make their system last that long but if they do it will be because they have to to recoup losses, especially after this global recession. Sony said a lot of big things with the PS2 launch how it would last 10 years and we would still be using it in something like 2010. Ya it aint happened. MS says the same things and so do Nintendo. It cant be trusted.

Anyways like I said I do see the PS3 picking up steam as do the professionals in the industry that actually think with their big head vs their gaming hard ons for some company or franchise. Its started off extremely badly and been pretty pathetic, and it still needs a price drop....but the PS3 is indeed slowly coming into its own and as time goes on it will get cheaper to develop games for which will help. At the start of this generation I had bet 90% that Sony would be on top, after the announcment of its price it became like 65% now at this point I think its a complete toss up and anyones game. Sony fucked up and MS did a brilliant job scoring support this generation(especially from japanese companies and indy companies)but many gamers are pissed off at the high malfunction rate and Sony as we have said is picking up steam and with every new R&C, Mag or Dark Cloud 3 announced they will earn more gamer support. The big question will be how long with MS support the console and will Sony ever drop the damn price to hit that sweet spot where the more casual gamers start buying in.

Feel free to respond guys but warning you ahead of time I am done with this. This post was way to long especially given how illogical and fanboyish most of you are being. Not trying to be rude just making it clear to save you time that I aint continuing to waste my breath on people that wont listen or cant because of an inability to use logic/reason.

Peace!

You see, I can give you links to surveys with high console breaks where it was 40-60% of people has had a broken one, but you cant give me links to every single one of those sites to when they say the ps3 has few good games on it, you just can't. You might try to find a couple over an effortless 2 second search on Google, but I doubt you can find more than one, if that

Everyone is fighting but all 3 systems have some great exclusive games. This is not like last gen where everything hit the PS2 (giving it one of the best libraries in history).

I'm waiting for a $250 PS3 but I'm not about to say it sucks while I wait.

Xbox 360 has the best JRPGs
PS3 has the best third-person adventure/platforming
Wii has its excellent Nintendo series

I soppose Sony jumped the gun with releasing a system that ran off blueray, sure it;s awsome and looks nice, but If you start off by selling your system at a loss, and the advrage consumer still considers it to expensive to buy, then you have a problem. Although doing this probally helped them in the long run because I give the Ps3 95% of the credit for securing Blue-ray as our next generation format.

havent read thru these posts but...

I owned my ps3 for 11 days before selling it on craigslist and wondered "why did i buy this pos" after about 2 hours - mainly it was the long updates on any game i wanted to throw in and try. There werent any exclusives that really tickled my fancy either. I'd buy 1 again for resistance 2 i suppose and maybe gow 3, but it doesnt go beyond that

never really had that problem with my 360, just some aggravations as i'm on my 3rd console, the games make it worth it though and netflix has made it even better

thankfully the 40% off on ebay (cashback + coupon) on black friday helped me turn in a profit on the ps3 so at least it wasnt a costly realization

[quote name='willardhaven']
Xbox 360 has the best JRPGs
PS3 has the best third-person adventure/platforming
Wii has its excellent Nintendo series[/quote]
False.

The Wonderswan beats them in all of those categories.

You bunch of whores.

I've never played the Wonderswan, but you're probably being sarcastic.

I was just talking about the big 3 home consoles of the current generation.

No. This entire thread was created purely so that people could talk shit about various consoles while claiming that they couldn't possibly be fanboys because "I do own all three..." as though that meant a fucking thing. That's all these threads are ever for, you dirty harlot.

Also, so that I could call everyone disease-laden tarts.

Everyone keeps saying you get what you pay for with PSN, but I play on it every once in a while and it really isn't much worse than live at all. My only problems with it are it's kind of hard to invite people, most of my friends play on live, and very few people have headsets. Getting into games is easy and there isn't very much lag at all. I don't play online on consoles a whole lot but it's nice to be able to do it every once in a while without having to spend a fairly new games worth of money each year.

Otherwise it just comes down to what exclusives and features you care about. I like Metal Gear Solid/Resistance/Uncharted/Little Big Planet more than Halo/Gears/Viva Pinata/Dead Rising and I like PSN games more than XBLA games. Then there are things like wifi, bluray, durability (PS3s rarely break), noise level (PS3 is quieter), will you want a big hard drive (PS3 hard drives are dirt cheap) and controller preference (I like PS3 for the buttons/built in battery and the 360s controller for the joystick layout). I also think PS3 has a better exclusive line up so far this year with God of War/Killzone/Heavy Rain against Halo Wars (RTS on a console lol)/maybe Alan Wake. I obviously like the PS3 more but if you have a lot of friends with 360s it might be worth it to keep it.

[quote name='The Crotch']No. This entire thread was created purely so that people could talk shit about various consoles while claiming that they couldn't possibly be fanboys because "I do own all three..." as though that meant a fucking thing. That's all these threads are ever for, you dirty harlot.

Also, so that I could call everyone disease-laden tarts.[/quote]

Egad, people prefer things?

[quote name='danh920']never really had that problem with my 360, just some aggravations as i'm on my 3rd console, the games make it worth it though and netflix has made it even better
[/quote]

Never had a problem...other than the fact that you've gone through 3 systems...:applause::applause::applause:

Going through 3 systems sounds like a pretty big problem to me. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to drop $250.00 on something to have it die 3 times...

[quote name='willardhaven']Egad, people prefer things?[/quote]
No. Milquetoast and rice patties for all!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Crotch']No. Milquetoast and rice patties for all![/QUOTE]

My Game.com will kick your Wonderswans ass any day of the week

[quote name='mleach26']I have been offered by my brother in law to trade in my xbox 360 for a 40GB PS3. It sounds tempting as my 360 has broken twice (red ring) and most of the games I play are available on both systems. However I am reluctant to trade it in as Xbox Live is MUCH better than PSN, plus the trade in would only get me the console itself and no games, What does everyone think?[/quote]

personally i would say no.....

If you'll still be able to keep the 360 games you have then I say do it. You can always later buy a cheap 360 on ebay, I myself bought one for $170 (it even included Halo 3 legendary). I know you can find one for cheaper too.

The PSN isn't that bad for a free service (although I don't have a PS3 so I just know of what I've been told).

The PS3 also has some damn nice exclusives, Resistance 1&2, Killzone 2, MGS4, LBP, and the upcoming FFXII Verses, Heavy Rain, and God of War III

Ok, I DIDN'T trade my system in!!

No more replies, god next time I ask a simple question I will make sure I don't kick off a fanboy war fucking hell

[quote name='mleach26']Ok, I DIDN'T trade my system in!!

No more replies, god next time I ask a simple question I will make sure I don't kick off a fanboy war fucking hell[/quote]

Pansy

[quote name='ricoraney']...But to say that the Xbox Live Experience is nothing but a bunch of bells and whistles is down right ludacrious. There is a reason why the PSN is free! You get what you pay for. You pay for nothing, you get nothing...[/quote]

... I know I shouldn't really stoke the flames of this thread, but I'll do it with due caution anyways...

I own the big five (all the consoles, plus the handhelds), and I have to say that the biggest upside to the 360, if anything, is their pay-to-play online service, which offers a highly centralized network for buddies, friends, and online gaming (well, host-finding, not being a host themselves of course, though that would be awesome). As such, the 360 does have the distinct and clear advantage, multiplayer wise. Whether or not the OP should consider that fact in consideration for his trade, that's up to him.

That is to say, if multiplayer/online gaming is not your thing, then XBL and PSN are both a moot point (gaming wise).

Disregarding multiplayer capabilities, and being a XBL Gold member for roughly a year, MS is definately playing favorites with Gold account holder, giving them a shlew of option and perks, and effectively treating the Silvers as a second class citizen, in a way. Since PSN is free, you see no such favoratism, unless you suscribe to this thing called Qore, which is basically a e-mag subscription with a highly subjective worth value (Qore suscribers gets early access to some demos and receive the occasional free PSN titles, along with the usual monthly videos they publish).

Also, a personal thing that somewhat bothers me about the XBL marketplace is their incessant use of the MS point system. Look, it's not like I have an aversion of doing simple math in my head, but really, who thought it would be a good idea to $10 equal 800 points? I know there is a lot of consumer psychology in play here (as in, in your head you're not paying $10, it feels like you're paying $8... same reason with the whole .99 deal with prices), but I'd rather have a clear indication of how much something cost without the abstraction in my poor little brain.

Now, there is a rumor of an (another) incoming price drop for the PS3. Maybe it might be a wise idea to hold off on the trade until such rumors are proven true or false.

bread's done
Back