Should the PSP continue?

See, that's the thing. The PSP, as a system, *is* selling. A helluva lot, actually - keep in mind that not a single competitor in the handheld market ever put a dent in Nintendo's market dominance, and yet here's the PSP with over 30% of the handheld market. That's akin to 30% of the PC market suddenly becoming Macintosh computers over 4 years; that big of a deal.

The "should it continue" or not is, I feel, those who lament the purchase of the system b/c there really aren't a ton of games to buy for it, looking forward.

I'm hoping to god that they don't change the PSP to download only. I hate having only a digital format for stuff like that. It's more acceptable to me for the PSX games since their time is gone for brick and mortars like BB and Target, but not for the PSP. I own most of the Square Enix games already for the PS1 that have come out in Japan (and I have a 60 gig BC PS3), I'd probably still buy some of them just so I could play it on my PSP, but that's as far as it goes really for me.

Actually, what would be really cool is if Sony enabled some sort of PS3->PSP game transfer of PSX games. I got a sizable collection of choice PSX, and I wouldn't mind playing some 'ol skool Crash Bandicoot the next time I take a flight across the US.

Eh, but a very small likelihood of that actually happening...

Wouldn't the DSi's current price rumor ($180) push it right up into the PSP's pricing range, taking that factor out of it.

I don't really see any reason to add more non-gaming stuff since it already does a ton of that with music, video, web browsing, RSS feeds for podcasts, and the Remote Play brings anything on the PS3 into that equation, as well. They need to focus on the gaming portion now and bash people's heads open with the notion that this thing plays games, too, and make sure they don't forget that.

Edit: Do you mean ripping PS1 games to the hard drive? They're most likely not going to do that, but they do have Crash games on PSN, so you can pay the $6 to be able to take them with you.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Wouldn't the DSi's current price rumor ($180) push it right up into the PSP's pricing range, taking that factor out of it.

I don't really see any reason to add more non-gaming stuff since it already does a ton of that with music, video, web browsing, RSS feeds for podcasts, and the Remote Play brings anything on the PS3 into that equation, as well. They need to focus on the gaming portion now and bash people's heads open with the notion that this thing plays games, too, and make sure they don't forget that.

Edit: Do you mean ripping PS1 games to the hard drive? They're most likely not going to do that, but they do have Crash games on PSN, so you can pay the $6 to be able to take them with you.[/quote]

Hmm, Haven't heard a finalized price for the DSi... I am thinking about picking it up, for the good "brew" of course.

And yes, that's what I mean about the ps1 games and having the ability to "rip" it to the PSP's memory stick. As for the Crash games... I should really pay more attention to the PSN store, but still no FF games :( (but not a bad price for the Crash games though).

Yes, it should continue -- it's the most capable portable system I've ever used. They have the infrastructure with PSN to clearly separate themselves from Nintendo with two factors:

-Massive distribution of digital games (yeah for SSDHD + Echochrome; MORE PS1 games, niche titles, etc.)
-PSP TROPHIES! One already signs into PSN for games like Wipeout Pulse, why not? Gives incentives for legit copies of the game

Make PSP as integrated into PSN as PS3, you've got yourselves a whole new game

This year seems to have a lot of great games coming out, so the sales spike we saw last year seems to be paying off for Sony. The PSP should definitely continue.

Only thing I really want for it is an option to rip your games onto the memory card so you don't need to take the UMDs with you, sort of like how they have DVDs and Blue-rays that contain a digital copy. I know CFW allows you to do this, but obvioulsy I don't use it.

PSP is a great product and the only reason I sold mine/stopped buying games for it years ago was due to lack of games. It still has a handful of good games released every year, but the lineup is looking weaker and weaker as every year passes. If they decided to port Crisis Core and the new God of War I would have no reason to re-buy a PSP at this point.

As Myke said, do we really need $40 ports of PS2/PS3 games just to have them on the go? Come on now.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']PSP is a great product and the only reason I sold mine/stopped buying games for it years ago was due to lack of games. It still has a handful of good games released every year, but the lineup is looking weaker and weaker as every year passes. If they decided to port Crisis Core and the new God of War I would have no reason to re-buy a PSP at this point.

As Myke said, do we really need $40 ports of PS2/PS3 games just to have them on the go? Come on now.[/quote]
A lot of the ports you are talking about are redone to support 16:9, faster load times, extra content, and a visual upgrade in some cases. We still get original titles, including many this year.

[quote name='J7.']
1) Make as many PS2 & PS1 games available for download as possible at decent prices ($5-$30). Including new PS2 releases.[/quote]

...They can put PS2 games on the PSP?

[quote name='SynGamer']A lot of the ports you are talking about are redone to support 16:9, faster load times, extra content, and a visual upgrade in some cases. We still get original titles, including many this year.[/QUOTE]

While you're technically correct, that is, you must admit, more of an excuse than a justification.

The lack of reasonably price *unique* software for the PSP is what hurts it. SCEA has the right idea with Patapon and LocoRoco 2 ($20 new, fun games, not available elsewhere). But that's just the beginning.

Building up the PSN store could be helpful. But selling me Everyday Shooter or Super Stardust for $10 each when I already spent $10 on them for PS3? No thanks; you're repeating the same damned mistake you did by allowing Activision, EA, and the THQs of the world to release the same shitbag PS2 game for $40. It's just a cheaper version of the same mistake.

PSP has been out for far too long to really avoid a lot of the "oh yeah, that system that plays the just-as-expensive-yet-inferior-ports-of-PS2-games" stigma it has. That's a stench it needs to avoid, but it may be far too late.

Some of y'all have recommended games to play on the thing, and there are fun games to play indeed. But look at it this way: y'all keep recommending the same 8-10 titles. You won't get that with other consoles, because they have such a wide array of titles that appeal to different tastes. In the PSP's case, it's not "must play" titles, it's "have to play cuz there's nothing else" titles.

And Crisis Core sucked; it was a boring repetitive quasi-PSO-and-action wannabe game. Sorry, but it's closer to Dirge of Cerberus than y'all want to admit.

I was at my local Best Buy shortly after Christmas, and unless it was part of a shelf-space reorganization (which they'd already done well before this past holiday season), the PSP section was reduced to essentially the width equivalent of an endcap. It was pretty pathetic. The games looked depleted and disorganized.* It made me wonder if they (meaning the higher-ups in their ivory tower) know something we don't (officially) yet.

Personally, I think it's got a few more worthwhile titles in the pipeline for 2009, but anything after that is kind of the equivalent of soccer (football) "injury time". We might see a couple games in 2010, but the end could come at any moment beyond that. Sadly, the thing is beyond redeeming entirely. Too expensive, too soon (back in 2005), bad game library strategy, not interactive enough with the PS3, and it really, really needed a second analog nub.

I mean, if they would've seen the light upfront and made more 2D games that didn't require another axis, that would've be one thing. But we've all seen the myopic, thick-headed arrogance of Sony over the last four years or so. We knew better.

EDIT: *--By contrast, their DS section is HUGE.

I haven't touched my PSP in nearly 2 years. I am considering of selling it.
I actually never "Upgraded" to the Slim and Lite or the PSP3000 as I saw no purpose to do so, whenever I am shopping for games, it never crosses my mind about PSP games. I think Sony should stop the PSP all together and concentrate on the PS3.

I think that PSP will make a good semi-comeback soon, with all the great new games coming soon:

Dissidia: Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy XII Agito
Resistance
Kingdom Hearts
Star Ocean 2
Phantasy Star Portable
DJ Max Fever
New Monster Hunter

I honestly think that Sony needs to focus on letting the people know what games are coming out.

[quote name='MattJ1991']I think that PSP will make a good semi-comeback soon, with all the great new games coming soon:

Dissidia: Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy XII Agito
Resistance
Kingdom Hearts
Star Ocean 2
Phantasy Star Portable
DJ Max Fever
New Monster Hunter

I honestly think that Sony needs to focus on letting the people know what games are coming out.[/quote]

There are several things that hurt the PSP.

1) PS2 ports ruled when the PSP was introduced
2) PSP was expensive
3) PSP games were expensive
4) PSP was easy to hack and piracy was it's downfall. (This is the number #1 reason why developers have bailed on the PSP format.
5) UMD was poorly implemented with overpriced movies and slow performance.

I never liked the piano black finish and how easy it was to fingerprint the thing up.
Then I bought a silver slim PSP and noticed rubbing your fingernail on it lightly scratches the finish.
Guess there is no winning with sony. lol.

[quote name='Rodster']There are several things that hurt the PSP.

1) PS2 ports ruled when the PSP was introduced
2) PSP was expensive
3) PSP games were expensive
4) PSP was easy to hack and piracy was it's downfall. (This is the number #1 reason why developers have bailed on the PSP format.
5) UMD was poorly implemented with overpriced movies and slow performance.[/quote]

I have to disagree with 3 and 4. $40 for a PSP game that looks just as good as a PS2 game ($50 when the PSP came out) is a fair asking price, especially considering the graphics on the DS. I don't mean this to turn into a graphics flame war, i'm simply pointing out that it's much easier to develop for the DS than the PSP.

As for piracy, yes, it has definitely stolen sales away from the console, but the lack of good games started well before piracy effects really sunk in. At this point, even Sony is slow to release good titles for the PSP. 2009 is looking great for the PSP game library, and with close to 45 million PSP units sold, developers really can't complain anymore. I don't care if 25% of PSP users are pirates, that still OVER 30 million potential users. The problem is people only see the negative press with the PSP (piracy) when they should be seeing it's qualities, capabilities, etc.

This will really be the deciding year for the PSP's future. If it doesn't grow this year, i can see the developers finally cutting it off, but it things goes well, we could get another 2-3 years out of it.

I'm looking at the release dates for this year and some of the announced titles for the psp and I really don't see it being much worse than the ps3 or any other system. Since I have a bunch of great psp games I still haven't got around to playing I still have the luxery of waiting for all these new great games like resistance and the show to go down to half price before I pick them up.
Still wishing I could find metal gear portable ops though. I can't believe they didn't charge 30 and just bundle it with portable ops+ and just have ops+ as a download for people that already had portable ops.:bomb:

bread's done
Back