Should this make me nervous?

noodles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Last night, I found a guy offering Mario Kart DS for $15 (plus $5 shipping) with Buy It Now. The same guy had two of them, actually...one was listed as 'game only' and the other listed as "THIS IS FOR THE GAME AND CASE AND BOOK... GOOD SHAPE..."

So, I made made the bid and then sent him a message confirming that I was getting the one with game, case and book. Told him I would pay immediately upon confirmation.

So, today he sends me an email that says "[FONT=Arial, Verdana]This is sold as is no refunds.... this is for the game case and book..."

Lack of punctuation, or am I just getting the "game case" and book? I write him back asking for confirmation on THAT, and just not received this email "
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana]yes comes with game book case thanks". Not really clearing it up...and now I'm wondering about why he would feel the need to say 'this is sold as is". Whats wrong with it?

Like I said, I havent paid yet...should I be concerned that something screwy is afoot, that I'm about to pay $20 for a worthless chunk of plastic? Any more experienced EBay'ers, I would appreciate your advice.
[/FONT]

[quote name='Apossum']Write back and demand punctuation and good grammar.[/QUOTE]

or else :twisted:
If I were you I'd spell it out for him. For example -

I'm making the following were included with your auction as there may have been a grammatical error in your listing that would make the item you sold not as described:

- Game cartridge
- Game instruction manual
- Game case / case insert

Hehe, I dont want to be the grammar police...just wished he had answered my question definitively, is all.

Thanks for the idea Joevan, I'll do that right now.

hes obviouslly trying to pull a fast one on you especially when he says sold as is no refunds when you didnt even ask.

[quote name='m0dem']hes obviouslly trying to pull a fast one on you especially when he says sold as is no refunds when you didnt even ask.[/quote]

Right, although it isnt completely obvious because the auction does in fact say it includes "the game and case and book". He doesnt have much feedback, but it's all positive and includes some game sales to apparently satisfied buyers.

I guess I was wondering if more experienced EBayers could tell me if there was a way out of this one, if I am going to be forced to eat negative feedback, or what I might try to get it worked out.

[quote name='noodles']Right, although it isnt completely obvious because the auction does in fact say it includes "the game and case and book". He doesnt have much feedback, but it's all positive and includes some game sales to apparently satisfied buyers.

I guess I was wondering if more experienced EBayers could tell me if there was a way out of this one, if I am going to be forced to eat negative feedback, or what I might try to get it worked out.[/quote]

No matter what you are most likely going to get a negative your only options are really

1. Dont pay for it and say its not as what the title says
2. Pay for it and file a SNAD when you recieve it. He will give you a negative feedback saying you did not read the auction terms etc.

[quote name='m0dem']No matter what you are most likely going to get a negative your only options are really

1. Dont pay for it and say its not as what the title says
2. Pay for it and file a SNAD when you recieve it. He will give you a negative feedback saying you did not read the auction terms etc.[/QUOTE]

I'm with one of these. When he gives you a negative, file a feedback removal request because the guy is a little dee de dee.

Don't pay him until he confirms that the game is a part of the auction. Send him an email back and ask specifically if the Mario Kart game is included in the auction. If not, he's clearly a twat so don't pay him. File a complaint with Ebay as well. It's not a matter of being the grammar police.

Actually this guy may actually be legit looking at his past auctions. He sold a new one for $20 + 5 shipping. And for other used games where he said this is for the game and case and book he has come out with positive feedback and he provided pictures and it did actually include all three. It looks like you should be safe and if it doesnt include the game file an SNAD right away.

Believe it or not, not all ebay sellers are out to fuck you. This guy has perfect feedback and you're ripping him a new one. You guys are really jumping the gun here.

[quote name='briansraregames']Believe it or not, not all ebay sellers are out to fuck you. This guy has perfect feedback and you're ripping him a new one. You guys are really jumping the gun here.[/QUOTE]

All it takes is one person to rip you off. Unfortunately, ebay is defined by the scammers.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']All it takes is one person to rip you off. Unfortunately, ebay is defined by the scammers.[/quote]

I'm sorry you feel that way. Do you feel that way about dealing on CAG too, because I think the percentages are about the same.

[quote name='noodles']Hehe, I dont want to be the grammar police...just wished he had answered my question definitively, is all.

Thanks for the idea Joevan, I'll do that right now.[/quote]

When it comes to your money I'd say being the grammar police is a good idea. No one is perfect, but there is no excuse for someone to try to sell something without being completely clear on the condition of items and the terms of the sale.

[quote name='briansraregames']I'm sorry you feel that way. Do you feel that way about dealing on CAG too, because I think the percentages are about the same.[/QUOTE]

I haven't been ripped off on CAG or ebay(knocks on wood), but the previous advice is best: spell everything out. Make an invoice if you have to.

I've been negotiating with several companies recently to import Ipods. You really have to spell out what you expect to get so you don't get fucked. I spent a solid week of emails with this guy in the UK trying to get specifics on 360s. It was like talking to the Swedish Chef on acid.

Well, here is the latest...he finally answered my question by clearly stating it "[FONT=Arial, Verdana]that means it comes with the game and the book about the game and the case... All my aution say as is... the game is in good shape as I said..."

He then sent me a follow-up email (I presume in response to the second email I sent to him, in the format joevan suggested in this thread) stating "
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana]it doesnt come with the cover of the case just the case..."

So...it sounds more or less legit, unless he somehow was the first to crack the DS code and made a MK bootleg :) Anyway, thanks to those of you who offered advice. Much appreciated.
[/FONT]

One last question, before this thread fades into the ether...

Mario Kart DS arrived today and, as promised, it was in an unlabeled, semi-broken case. I could deal with that, but upon opening the case, it appeared the manual and other assorted booklets had suffered water damage ("wavy" pages, rusted staples, etc.) and the cart itself even had some kinda suspect marks on it that I would almost call streaks.

I popped the cart in my DS Lite and it seems to play just fine...I guess what I am wondering, is whether I should throw Positive feedback at this guy and call it over, or if I should finally issue my first Neutral and comment on the game not being in "very good" condition as claimed.

I suppose I'm not much of an authority on condition categories for used games, so I guess I'm a little gunshy about throwing a Neutral at this guy...particularly since I've never given non-Positive feedback before.

Any thoughts?

[quote name='noodles']One last question, before this thread fades into the ether...

Mario Kart DS arrived today and, as promised, it was in an unlabeled, semi-broken case. I could deal with that, but upon opening the case, it appeared the manual and other assorted booklets had suffered water damage ("wavy" pages, rusted staples, etc.) and the cart itself even had some kinda suspect marks on it that I would almost call streaks.

I popped the cart in my DS Lite and it seems to play just fine...I guess what I am wondering, is whether I should throw Positive feedback at this guy and call it over, or if I should finally issue my first Neutral and comment on the game not being in "very good" condition as claimed.

I suppose I'm not much of an authority on condition categories for used games, so I guess I'm a little gunshy about throwing a Neutral at this guy...particularly since I've never given non-Positive feedback before.

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

For some, neutrals equal negatives. I threw a negative at a guy because he took forever, and the thing he sent me was the nastiest SNES I ever saw. Dead bugs inside, actual cigarette ash...it worked, but it wasn't as described. So, I gave him a neutral. He gave me a negative in return, and to this day it's the only thing keeping me from a perfect 100%. Pisses me the hell off, too.

So, don't be surprised if this person doesn't do the same thing. I wish retalitory feedback wasn't allowed.

Yeesh, good point...and looking at my feedback, he hasnt given me any yet. I thought it was fairly standard for the seller to give the buyer his feedback once the buyer submitted payment.

Looking at his feedback, he hasnt had any non-Positive's...I'm guessing that if I were to break that seal, he'd undoubtedly slap me with a retaliatory non-Positive of his own. Maybe I'll leave a Positive with a blurb about the game condition...I dunno...

EDIT: Ugh...and re-reading the auction, he simply says 'good shape', not very good. I'm just going to issue the standard baloney feedback, and call it over. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

[quote name='noodles']Yeesh, good point...and looking at my feedback, he hasnt given me any yet. I thought it was fairly standard for the seller to give the buyer his feedback once the buyer submitted payment.
.[/QUOTE]

Yea, but that's not a buyer's onyl responsibilty.. I don't give a positive feedback until I a) receive one myself and b) know that everything has worked out ok.

If I were to leave a positive for someone who received a game, and let's say the game didn't work, and they slap me with a negative, issues a chargeback, and all that other jazz without even contacting me so I can refund them. That's a shitty buyer, and that's someone no one should deal with, and I would leave a negative stating as such. Paying on time is only 1/2 of the equation, to me.

Plus, 1/2 the people on Ebay never bother leaving me feedback, so why should I do it with them? Once they give me a positive feedback, I also know they got their item and they are sastisfied with it, so that's a little piece of mind, since you usually never hear from a buyer again once they submit payment.

[quote name='noodles']Yeesh, good point...and looking at my feedback, he hasnt given me any yet. I thought it was fairly standard for the seller to give the buyer his feedback once the buyer submitted payment.

Looking at his feedback, he hasnt had any non-Positive's...I'm guessing that if I were to break that seal, he'd undoubtedly slap me with a retaliatory non-Positive of his own. Maybe I'll leave a Positive with a blurb about the game condition...I dunno...

EDIT: Ugh...and re-reading the auction, he simply says 'good shape', not very good. I'm just going to issue the standard baloney feedback, and call it over. Thanks for the advice, everyone.[/quote]

He should have explained the water damage on manual and say that it doesnt include case cover in the auction. But I would leave positive especially if you dont want to get a retaliation.

bread's done
Back