Show your build!

That Vestax is still a beast I remember when I was shopping for mixers and turntables every website/store was saying get a Vestax and Technics. But me being bone headed at the time thought I wanted something new so went with the Ecler and Stanton because they were the new kids on the block but were getting great reviews. The Ecler mixer is really great does everything I want and more with a really smooth fader. I took a gamble and it works for my man cave DJ setup. That is really sad about both companies being out of the mixer game especially Vestax because you saw everyone that was a real/fake DJ with them.
Yeah, I was really surprised to see how both companies fell from grace. When I was DJing in college (12-16 years ago) I started out with a Numark DJ in a box that was barely adequate for mixing. When I got enough work/money to buy real equipment I went with the 07Pro because at the time it was the only one to really get. Pioneer was emerging at the time and I think Ecler, Rane, and Allen and Heath were all sort of the new kids on the block. I was bone headed at the time too with my turntables though. Instead of the classic Technics, I went with the Vestax PDX-2000s which were the new thing on the block and geared specifically for turntablists. I don't regret it. I made my money back easily and love the functionality of those things and still have them and they still work. So you can't really ask for much more. The only gripe was shitty and cheap design on the feet. They used some crappy plastic threaded pipe thing to screw the feet in place and of course they all broke. I have them in flight cases so it's not an issue, they stay in place, but I've been meaning to try to find some way to replace all those broken parts with something more sturdy.

My old 7950 was the same way. Thing was a behemoth. I was actually worried whether the weight of it hanging out of the port would be an issue until I realized that the far end was actually resting on the surface inside the drive cage area (just the shield, not actual circuitry of course)
lol... that thing actually looks small in my case now, but everything looks small in it.

Yeah, I was really surprised to see how both companies fell from grace. When I was DJing in college (12-16 years ago) I started out with a Numark DJ in a box that was barely adequate for mixing. When I got enough work/money to buy real equipment I went with the 07Pro because at the time it was the only one to really get. Pioneer was emerging at the time and I think Ecler, Rane, and Allen and Heath were all sort of the new kids on the block. I was bone headed at the time too with my turntables though. Instead of the classic Technics, I went with the Vestax PDX-2000s which were the new thing on the block and geared specifically for turntablists. I don't regret it. I made my money back easily and love the functionality of those things and still have them and they still work. So you can't really ask for much more. The only gripe was shitty and cheap design on the feet. They used some crappy plastic threaded pipe thing to screw the feet in place and of course they all broke. I have them in flight cases so it's not an issue, they stay in place, but I've been meaning to try to find some way to replace all those broken parts with something more sturdy.
That is hilarious when I got out of college in '98 the Numark DJ in a box is what I got too because I wanted to get a cheap DJ setup but didn't realize how crappy it is was and belt driven so saved up and got what I got now. Not going to lie didn't have alot of cash at the time so I used the Numark mixer with my Stanton for a little before saving up for my Ecler. Sucks about the feet on those Vestax tables but I heard great things about those.

And instead of typing everything again here is update on my pc from overclock:

So finally figured out a way to put a fan in front of my 980ti 296mm length gpu that is the longest card in existence (not really but damn its long) by removing the inside front fan mount gave me enough to stick in my 13mm fan in front of it. My idle temps for cpu went down 7c and my gpu went down 19c so that takes care of that. May still get a smaller gpu down the line so I can stick some 25mm fans in front because want to try out those new Corsair or be quiet! fans. Plus those rubber screws sticking out the front is cringe worthy.

Here is what the front looks like:

The inside with fan up against gpu my bad it is so dark to lazy to unscrew and take another one:

That is hilarious when I got out of college in '98 the Numark DJ in a box is what I got too because I wanted to get a cheap DJ setup but didn't realize how crappy it is was and belt driven so saved up and got what I got now. Not going to lie didn't have alot of cash at the time so I used the Numark mixer with my Stanton for a little before saving up for my Ecler. Sucks about the feet on those Vestax tables but I heard great things about those.
You know, I once bought a Stanton mixer on clearance from Guitar Center and it turned out to be really great. Like I liked it right up there with my Vestax and it was only $100, but originally $500. So you can find some good budget stuff from time to time.

Anyway, have any of you guys ever messed around with case modding? I've seen some pretty cool case mods and while I don't really want to get into cutting anything or making any major modifications, I have been considering it painting and adding some decals to my case. Was potentially considering giving it a color scheme to either emulate the trader pods in KF2 or maybe make it look like a Horzine supply crate complete with Horzine logos. Was wondering if anyone here has done anything like that?

RMA'd the 1070 and got the 1080 instead.  Updated build below:

- Intel i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad Core 4.0 GHz 1151 Processor

- Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance CPU Cooler

- 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 SDRAM

- ASUS ROG Maximus VIII HERO ALPHA

- Corsair HXi Series HX750i 750W Power Supply

- MSI GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK X Water Cooled GPU

- 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD (Operating System)

- 1x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (Games)

- 1x Western Digital Black 1TB 7200 RPM HD (Old HD that will be replaced by a 1TB SSD in the near future)

- Corsair 400C Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

- Windows 10 Professional

Once I swap in the 1080, I will post pics.  Should be here tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love seeing everyone builds as I am in the home stretch of my build, just have to pick gpu and install it, will post pics when its done!

Ok sir you have won this round with a video, nice. Those memory are cool how they light up to your music didn't even know they made stuff like that. More stuff to research.
They're crucial ballistix tactical tracers and there's a program that comes with them to change lighting effects.

It is that time again where I update my pc for no reason other than I like to tinker:

7bYRDgR.jpg
Got a Raijintek Morpheus II Core Edition GPU cooler to shorten my oversized Gigabyte 980ti G1 so I could get my two 25mm be quiet! Silent Wings 2 in front of it.

oWUC5NS.jpg

Added two be quiet! Silent Wings 3 Hi Speed fans to the GPU cooler went from 50c idle to 29c idle I was suprised it would be this cool and silent as heck.

MTjTDrf.jpg
Lights off with my two new monitors an ASUS PB328Q 32in 1440p 75hz on the left and Acer XZ350CU 35in 1080p 144hz and no more G-Sync but after reading that 144hz usually negates screen tearing and can say everything I have played so far that is true.

vt5xXv7.jpg

I call this DJ mode with the monitor behind the turntables when I want to mix.

EQVGfvx.jpg
I call this Work/Play mode when I want to look at chat, CAG and listen to music or play games.

k4K0XVg.jpg
Here is the new monitor arm Loctek D7L because the old Monoprice couldn't hold the 32in monitor well this thing is a beast can hold 33lbs and up to a 34in monitor.

Also pulled out my NZXT Hue because it was taking up so much space in the bottom of my case and want to get the Light Bar rails for my Caselab BH7 and NZXT Hue+ at some point.

Well that is it until next time when I get that upgrade itch.

Anyone done an htpc build? Seein if there are any recommendations for atx sized cases and smaller/quieter cpu coolers. I got a 500w psu for christmas so I guess now Im obligated to do this build. I got my old 2600k/z68/gtx970 setup lying around so thats what is going in it, but it has an evo212 cooler on it and I dont think that will fit in any htpc case

So far Ive just been settling on the usual silverstone grandia but looking for other options. Seems all the other ones on newegg end up with fairly meh reviews

Anyone done an htpc build? Seein if there are any recommendations for atx sized cases and smaller/quieter cpu coolers. I got a 500w psu for christmas so I guess now Im obligated to do this build. I got my old 2600k/z68/gtx970 setup lying around so thats what is going in it, but it has an evo212 cooler on it and I dont think that will fit in any htpc case

So far Ive just been settling on the usual silverstone grandia but looking for other options. Seems all the other ones on newegg end up with fairly meh reviews
Haven't built a htpc but was looking for the smallest case that could take a full atx.
Caselabs Bullet BH7 (currently have but expensive)
Streacom F12C (second choice but expensive and sometimes think I should have got it because it could take 310mm gpu but at the time height restriction on cpu cooler and no window)
RIOTORO CR1080 (third choice because of the price but hardly any reviews when I was looking at it)
Fractal Design Node 605 (was on the shortlist but wanted a window)
Jonsbo W2 (but taller than I wanted)
Lian Li PC-V700 (expensive and don't like how it looked)
Lian Li PC-O7S (very expensive and would had to compromised too much on components but like the look)
Cooler Master HAF XB EVO (oldie but goodie from reviews)
COOLER MASTER Elite 360 (oldie but goodie from reviews)
LIAN LI PC-V33WX (expensive but didn't want to deal with tempered glass)
anidees a17 (thought about it forgot why I didn't like it)
Nanoxia Project S
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Snow Edition

After working in a small case I suggest going without a window so you are not tearing out your hair trying how to cram so much in a small space and it makes you stop looking in the window thinking about what you can upgrade.

After working in a small case I suggest going without a window so you are not tearing out your hair trying how to cram so much in a small space and it makes you stop looking in the window thinking about what you can upgrade.
Oh Id prefer no window at all, I havent had one on any build since the 90's, I just find them distracting in general and would rather not have a bunch of bright shiny things on all that time. That and a window would be horrible for an htpc, needs to be darkened.

Thanks for the list, Ill peruse through them and see if any can fit the bill. I had looked at the fractal since my current case is a fractal r5, but I think it has alot of space restrictions compared to some others. Still need to fit my old 970 in there and thats 11.something and I think the fractal was limited to under 11in cards. Also hoping for more of an htpc form factor since Id like it to look in place in the rest of the rack

Still not really my thing, but new life and new house call for updated gear. Or something like that. I actually downgraded/side-graded my GPU setup a notch from my previous build so that my wife could have a somewhat matching setup.

*Disclaimer: I just got everything assembled. We still have to paint the room, install shelving, wall mount the monitors (which I LOVE, but the stands are recockulously deep), do lots and lots of wire management (case and desk) and clean. Lots of cleaning.

More crappy pics inbound...

yigCwDA.jpg

Mine:
In Win 303
i5-4690K (@4.4Ghz currently)
Phanteks PH-TC14PE w/Corsair ML120 fans (only way to get the cooler to fit and I didn't want the expense of a new cooler)
Asus Z97-AR
16GB AMD R7 1866 DDR3
Sapphire Nitro R9 FURY 4G (Yay BF sales)
240GB Silicon Power S60 SSD
5TB Toshiba PH3500U-1I72
2TB WD Black
Rosewill CAPSTONE-750-M PSU
4x Corsair SP120
3x Thermaltake Riing 12 RGB
Acer XR341CK (3440x1440 FreeSync model)

vLy7Hjq.jpg

Wife:
In Win 303
i5-4590
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (w/GELID FN-PX12-15 Fan)
Asus H97M-Plus
16GB Adata 1600 DDR3
Sapphire Nitro R9 FURY 4G (Yay BF sales)
120GB PNY XLR8 SSD
2TB WD Black
Corsair CX750M PSU
3x Corsair SP120
3x Thermaltake Riing 12 RGB
Acer XR341CK (3440x1440 FreeSync model)

4XsnKvM.jpg

Still not really my thing, but new life and new house call for updated gear. Or something like that. I actually downgraded/side-graded my GPU setup a notch from my previous build so that my wife could have a somewhat matching setup.
First I need your wifey to talk to my wifey so I can have a bad ass setup like that.

Second great color selection for each setup and clean cabling in those cases.

Third and final how are you liking the Sapphire Nitro R9 FURY 4G I might go AMD next upgrade since my main monitor is freesync but never owned AMD card before. How are the drivers and what kind of settings in games on average? Any comparisons on Nvidia (if you owned one before) and Nvidia. Would like a CAG perspective instead of the fanboism on most sites.

First I need your wifey to talk to my wifey so I can have a bad ass setup like that.

Second great color selection for each setup and clean cabling in those cases.

Third and final how are you liking the Sapphire Nitro R9 FURY 4G I might go AMD next upgrade since my main monitor is freesync but never owned AMD card before. How are the drivers and what kind of settings in games on average? Any comparisons on Nvidia (if you owned one before) and Nvidia. Would like a CAG perspective instead of the fanboism on most sites.
Yeah, I think I got pretty lucky. Not only does she like video games, but she puts up with me on a daily basis. That deserves recognition in and of itself.

As to AMD vs Nvidia...it's hard for me to compare really, which i guess is a good thing. I used AMD for a long time previously and yes, their drivers seemed to just be a step behind Nvidia. More recently, aside from still being less power efficient, I have no issues. I'm coming from SLI 970s and it ran the 3440 resolution well enough, but I got tired of the SLI setup and sometimes poor scaling. I was going to wait for the 1080 Ti, but really wanted an adaptive sync monitor. Two G-Sync monitors + two new Nvidia GPUs were out of my price range, so FreeSync + AMD was really my only recourse. I had looked at the Z35 and other 34" 2560 ultrawides, but I really prefer the PPI of 3440 even at the cost of some framerate. Previously, my heavily modded Skyrim was getting +/-60 FPS with SLI 970s, the current Nitro Fury is getting about 10 FPS less without changing anything other than the drivers. Not optimal, but still well within the FreeSync range. The 970s performed in 980 Ti range while the Fury seems to be in the 980 range. My feeling is that if cost is not an option, Nvidia typically will offer better performance. But for me, cost is an issue and I'm perfectly happy (and have been most of the time) with my AMD GPUs. I figure I'll possibly upgrade with the release of Vega and either sell off my Fury or CF the wife's setup.

tl;dr Nvidia setups cost more (sans glitch pricing). I'm a CAG. AMD makes me happy.

You don't usually post pics when you make your build look worse but what the hell, right?

I replaced my Corsair H60 model with an H100i v2 water cooler.  It comes with a 240mm radiator which has no way of fitting in my case.  So I wound up cutting off part of the brackets on top of the case meant to support fans and feeding the radiator up through there (the heat sink is wider than the radiator and wouldn't fit through the gap) and resting it on top of the case, screwing a couple fans to it through the gaps.  The H100i has all manner of cords coming off of it and the tubes are fairly rigid so it's a bit of a pain to manage them all, a critique I saw in the reviews.  In my case I just stopped trying.

B2BQsPo.jpg

WLKsyQw.jpg

Also, take a moment to notice me using the thinner radiator mounting screws I had next to me to hang the rear fan instead of getting up and finding the proper sized screw.  Which, of course, wouldn't hold the fan up without it slipping off so I said "fuck it" and used the spare heat sink thumb-nuts to hold it in place.  Classy!

Edit: Also of note, in the top photo look under the top two drives to see my SSD just sitting on top of the third HDD because the drive trays were all the way in the other room when I installed it.

SeasonalCAG PC Photo Dump:

Will come back and post long drawn out statements for each picture later...

New component list:
Intel Core i7-7700K
Asus TUF Z270 MARK 1
Nvidia GTX 1080 TI FOUNDERS EDITION
SeaSonic PRIME 750W 80+ Titanium

The only box that should have been here was the 1080 Ti because I bought that to upgrade my 980 Ti. Didn't need it at all but new shiny things always attract me. My PC decided to take a crap on me and was just BSOD and I tried everything that I could found on the internet. It was a different BSOD everytime so I started to look at hardware took apart and tested everything I could. Come to find out it could have been a custom PSU 24pin cable. So instead of just buying a new PSU to test I just bought a new CPU, MOBO and PSU because those could be the culprit also.

DRe5H6z.jpg

Shot of the inside and I turned off all of the leds.

Gaot055.jpg

Shot of the inside on the other side. Need to get rid of those red memory sticks that will be the next upgrade after I swallow the extra money I wasn't trying to spend.

hfFsrnF.jpg

Closeup of 1080 Ti might Frankenstein it like I did with the 980 TI for better temps later on.

PIoRT30.jpg

New protector of the case.

8f0FhEO.jpg

All the protectors of the case.

gN74Bpl.jpg

Shot of the case all closed up and might get a white led strip for the window later on to look inside and figure out what to upgrade next I have a problem.

xUV4jIJ.jpg

My $2,400.00 build sits there and I never use it lol. Fail
I spent about $1300 for everything on my first gaming pc build. I shopped around and purchased majority of my items at micro center, gtx 1080 off a friend for about $300, I had the hard drives sitting around doing nothing. It was fun building it for sure and I'd probably do it again.

i7 6700k

evg clc 280

z170 m5

16gb ddr4

samsung 850 ssd 500gb

2tb hdd

gtx 1080 ftw

nzxt s340

cxm 750w psu

dell s2716dg 1440p 144hz monitor

I'll come back and add internal pics/closeup pics later, but my (custom) gamer pc is:

I5 3750k

16 gb of ram (DDR3)

1TB Seagate hdd (nothing fancy here. Been thinking about going to a 2 or 3 tera and maybe getting a SSD as money allows, but right now due to a teeth emergency (I had to get a tooth pulled!), money's a bit tight and will be for a few months.)

Seasonic 520W psu

Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

Windows 10 (of course)

M3MgwJe.jpg

Case pic; It's a Corsair of course. Sorry about the mess, I need to pick up and vacuum. (We just got our vacuum fixed too; I'm planning on getting some kinda container to put my yarn in. (I ish a knitter too, and I swear we got a kitty around here.))  The basket on the top is the controller/cord corral; and yes I have my 3DS on top of that all the time.

mssIw5l.jpg

Here's the inside of it. I thought I cleaned it with some nearby canned air when I put in the new card, but it's still dirty. I have two case fans; I'll get my electric duster later on and let it have it. Yes, air cooled, that's nothing really fancy shamancy, but I do like having extra case fans b/c my first build fried b/c I put in a Voodoo 3 without enough cooling, oops.. (I was young and stupid then)

My monitor is my TV, if you saw the pics earlier in the Post Your Collection thread, you'd know that..Space is REALLY REALLY tight in my room (it's almost a walk in closet) so I cannot have a monitor and a tv, so I went with a tv. I need to scrounge around and see if I can find my extra HDMI cable though; I recently upgraded the video card from a Geforce 650 to what's in the list, I felt it was time. But it also means I can use a full size hdmi cable now, if I could figure out where I put it.. (Instead of a adapter cable that goes from monitor main input to hdmi)

Anyway res is 1920X1040, the tv is a JVC EM32FL. Is a HD TV but is not near 4K at all. Not going to bother upgrading until it breaks. I also use a DS3 via USB for my joypad, just in case anyone needs to know that. I also use a wireless network card that I ain't getting rid of until the standards change.

Hopefully this build'll last me a few more years before I need to drop in a new mb and stuff. My brother is very nice about helping me with building pcs when I need to do it.

I'll come back and add internal pics/closeup pics later, but my (custom) gamer pc is:

I5 3750k

16 gb of ram (DDR3)

1TB Seagate hdd (nothing fancy here. Been thinking about going to a 2 or 3 tera and maybe getting a SSD as money allows, but right now due to a teeth emergency (I had to get a tooth pulled!), money's a bit tight and will be for a few months.)

Seasonic 520W psu

Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

Windows 10 (of course)
How do you like the 1060? My brother in law is wanting to get one. Nice and quiet with little heat I assume?

Yep. Nice and quiet, very little heat. I didn't think I'd be able to go up that high at first, but I found out otherwise. (I'd have to upgrade the PSU to go beyond that though.) Also just so you know, yes that's the stock fan. I don't tend to overclock my stuff, so that's fine, I think anyway.

Not sorry I bought it. I didn't even know that in XIV, the final boss in Weeping City had legs that sparkled until I got that card! I could NOT use DirectX11 with my old card either; FFXIV would have random crashes if I tried and it just made things darker. I'm really loving the new card as it is. ^_^ It's quite a improvement over my 650.

Oh and this should show the current idle temps, if you're curious. I wasn't playing a game at the moment I did that.

BTW, finally got around to really getting it with my electric duster. I must of gotten out three small dust bunnies (ugh ugh, I try to blast it every 2-3 months or so)..I know from experience that dust ain't good for pcs, so I try to keep it cleaned out. Don't remember when last I cleaned it before I got the new card, so it was def time!

[Edit] AH HA! I finally found my spare HDMI cable. Changed cables, hopefully I won't ever have to reach for the remote again (that was the quibble I had with the adapter cable) and I have the option of using my wireless headphones if I don't want to sit right in front of the screen. (I have a headset so I can't use the wireless headphones all the time, but I like having the option!)

bread's done
Back