Skylanders - Toys brought to life, Cross-platform Connectivity *Giants Out Now*

[quote name='thelonepig']But Gamestop supports the current higher price, so I would say it's far from proof that the costs are going up.

That said, the developer may have a deal with TRU and Gamestop to see how the higher cost would be received. That could make a good deal of sense seeing how many exclusive figures TRU received and now this Gamestop-exclusive set being the first to be posted.[/QUOTE]

Triple packs (pre Giants) are $19.99 at Gamestop, so are Adventure Packs. So it looks like they suggested retail for Giants will be $24.99 for triple and battle packs, so I kind of expect TRU to go up further if it takes off again. I'm kind of wondering if the bubble has truly burst and it will just be the scalpers driving the market off the bat. Kids move on to new things so fast ...

On another note, our Sidekicks arrived today, and thankfully one of each (on top of my Gold Nunchuck, mailbox was overflowing). Cool little guys, but the detail is definitely lower than the normal figures. Gill Runt is much too small for his big base (IMHO) and Whisper Elf was a little bent backwards due to the packaging envelope. But overall they are very cool, I'm pleased. Definitely worth $2 along with the kids getting the money's worth out of the chips (still haven't finished them all). Unfortunately neither likes Cheetos, so we have a bunch of those left over with a couple of other things. If you are still in the market for the value pack chips and live an area with a Harris Teeter, they are on special this week for $4.69 (roughly) with their customer card - limit two per person. They had plenty of the Sidekicks bags.

Our problem is that the kids rip into the chips packs and they all disappear within hours (we do have 5 kids though). Still, it isn't so healthy for them so we've stopped buying the packs. I still haven't gotten my sidekicks yet. Did you guys get them all packaged together - that's what it sounds like from everyone's posts. Like they wait till you order all 4 or something which is very odd.

I submitted my first one (for Gill Runt) the very first day the packs appeared (a long time ago it seems) so I would have expected to get that one by now. But then they just cashed the other checks a day or two ago (after cashing the first one last week) so maybe they waited till all 4 were ready to send.

Correction: they still have not cashed the 4th one. Here's the timeline: check 1 mailed July 3rd, cashed August 15th; check 2 mailed July 11th, cashed August 15th; check 3 mailed July 15th, cashed August 9th; check 4 mailed July 30th, not cashed yet. So that's a bit strange that they cashed my 3rd one first. I better get Gill Runt considering that was the very first one I requested on that July 3rd submission!

I sent all four at the same time. I found the bags prior to a vacation trip to the beach so I went ahead and bought four, so I had them to send in. My kids aren't huge on junk food, so having so many isn't a problem. They mainly like the Doritos, but the others are fine sometimes.

The checks cleared the bank on 8/13 and I mailed them on 7/3, they arrived today, 8/17. Four separate small padded envelopes containing: the Sidekick, one of those warnings sheets that come with every Skylander, a web code card and a small thank you note. The Sidekick was in a small clear bag. I selected preferences like this:
1 2 3 4
4 1 2 3
3 4 1 2
2 3 4 1
and I sent them in four separate envelopes with a $2 check in each, with the card, the UPC and the check paper clipped together. I have heard of those that sent an $8 check and all of the stuff in one envelope and still got them.

I also got one Flocked Stump Smash and it took a good long time to get here, but I only called and won once, and I never called the support line. Part of me thinks that some of the trouble people were having were the ones that tried to game the system. I've heard of some that that won a dozen or so times and were complaining that they "only" got a few or even none, or sent in more than four Sidekick forms for a single address (it specifically says FOUR per household) and have had varying luck on getting the ones they wanted or all they ordered.

I'd think that as long as you sent in four or less, printed neatly on the form and included everything you will get them. The forms can be sent in until November 2, so I would think that you have an above average chance of getting your selection if you sent them in early.

[quote name='io']Our problem is that the kids rip into the chips packs and they all disappear within hours (we do have 5 kids though). Still, it isn't so healthy for them so we've stopped buying the packs. I still haven't gotten my sidekicks yet. Did you guys get them all packaged together - that's what it sounds like from everyone's posts. Like they wait till you order all 4 or something which is very odd.

I submitted my first one (for Gill Runt) the very first day the packs appeared (a long time ago it seems) so I would have expected to get that one by now. But then they just cashed the other checks a day or two ago (after cashing the first one last week) so maybe they waited till all 4 were ready to send.

Correction: they still have not cashed the 4th one. Here's the timeline: check 1 mailed July 3rd, cashed August 15th; check 2 mailed July 11th, cashed August 15th; check 3 mailed July 15th, cashed August 9th; check 4 mailed July 30th, not cashed yet. So that's a bit strange that they cashed my 3rd one first. I better get Gill Runt considering that was the very first one I requested on that July 3rd submission![/QUOTE]

They got around to cashing my other checks yesterday. I still haven't seen the first one in the mail yet though. For those that haven't sent in the mailers yet, you can send one check for multiples - e.g. I sent a $6 check for three figures.

[quote name='defpally']I selected preferences like this:
1 2 3 4
4 1 2 3
3 4 1 2
2 3 4 1
[/QUOTE]

Did the same thing with my selections. Sent in three forms initially, roughly two weeks from first to third, and received all three Sidekicks in the mail two days ago. Strangely enough, I didn't get Terrabite, my 2nd #1 selection. Sent in two more forms (using another address), both with Terrabite as #1, and my Nephew can have fun with the extra (whatever the extra is).

Also lucked out and found a Wham Shell at a local Wal-Mart. So much more fun finding them in a store than on Amazon.

I got a complete set of the sidekicks in the mail yesterday. The kids had fun playing with them, but I had a hard time seeing if they were actually doing anything in the game.

Now to see if I get two more complete sets for those that I sent in to my parents and in-laws. :)

Pictures:

DSC_3871.jpg

DSC_3872.jpg

So yesterday I got 3 in the mail. I got the 3 I think I requested but I'm not 100 sure (didn't write them down or use any sort of method - just picked the ones the kids wanted first or ones I thought would be popular): Gill Runt, Whisper Elf, and Trigger Snappy. I must have put Terrabite on the last one that they have not yet cashed the check for.

[quote name='langdon_alger']Cool! Thanks @thelonepig!

Do they function differently in the game? Or do they just show up as the 'regular' character?[/QUOTE]

They show up as miniature characters that follow the main character around, similar to the firefly from the Dragon Peak set.

[quote name='thelonepig']They show up as miniature characters that follow the main character around, similar to the firefly from the Dragon Peak set.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my son is playing with Trigger Snappy right now. Unless I'm mistaken, they do absolutely nothing except look cute following your character around. It doesn't seem like they fight or even provide a bonus or anything. Or at least this is what my 4 year-old is telling me (plus I watched for a few minutes - didn't seem like the sidekick does anything).

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, thanks for the info. Wasn't sure if I should hold them until Christmas (if they did super cool stuff) or just give them to the kids when they arrived. Sounds like option 2 is the way to go.

[quote name='langdon_alger']Cool, thanks for the info. Wasn't sure if I should hold them until Christmas (if they did super cool stuff) or just give them to the kids when they arrived. Sounds like option 2 is the way to go.[/QUOTE]

If nothing else, they got my kids to play the game again for a bit after not touching it for a while. But I have a feeling it won't get played again until Giants comes out.

One Trigger Snappy showed up today. I sent in all 4 cards at once so I should see the other 3 soon.

They have not cashed my checks yet.

Got the initial 2 I ordered in the mail today. On my order forms, I put Whisper Elf #1 on one card, and #4 on the other. I also put Terrabyte #1 on one card, and #4 on the other. I expressly did this so I wouldn't likely end up with 2 of the same character. What did I end up with? 2 Whisper Elves.

Clearly the disclaimer of not guaranteeing you'll get the figures you requested is just because they're being lazy assclowns and not paying attention to what was actually ordered. Especially considering that people have reported receiving all varieties of characters right now in the early part of this promotion. I'm annoyed, if they wanted to just sell us on random characters, then at least admit it up front.

the remaining 3 characters showed up today. We now have a full set.

I mailed all forms out at once and filled them out like this:

If anyone has a set they'd be willing to part with for a reasonable amount- pm me. I want them, but my wife won't let me bring the chips in the house. :)

[quote name='LLeopardGGecko']I am still annoyed that I missed the Amazon exclusive gold Flameslinger. Boohoo.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just found out about that yesterday. Boo for no one posting it here, where I check all the time. Though it looks like it only lasted an hour or two.

I was away from the Skylander craze for awhile and didn't even know these mini-skylanders even existed. I guess I missed out on them!

[quote name='FaintDeftone']I was away from the Skylander craze for awhile and didn't even know these mini-skylanders even existed. I guess I missed out on them![/QUOTE]

Nah, you can still find the bags in the store and you have until November to send them off.

I've heard the golden Flameslinger orders were cancelled. Some kind of test the waters thing that went live and should not have done so.

So my son FINALLY started playing this game (all of a sudden). We got it for Christmas last year but he showed little to no interest until now. He is really loving it - he likes Drobot the best. We are missing an undead Skylander but other than that we have all of the other classes covered. I'm going to see if I can get him an undead one today. It is tempting to try and collect all 32 and they did a great job of "advertising" them in the game. He's got 13 and 14 will probably be enough once we get an undead one. Co-op is great!

EDIT: just read a little bit of this thread and now I need to try and find the frito-lay bags still on sale somewhere. Grrr....

I got to hold the Giants at PAX. I'll post a picture of the new ones they showed there (inclusing some of the new smallers one). I don't think it was anything that hasn't been shown already but I'm not sure.

They had a very minimal presence there, though - they just had them on a little table in the secondary Nintendo section and it was just the 3DS version of the game. I didn't even play the game - just held the figs and took the picture for my 4 year-old to see them. I don't think Activision was there at all so it was just Nintendo showing them off.

My only impression: the Giants are not as big as I thought they would be. They fit just fine on the little 3DS portals.

Amazon updated with pictures of the boxes and more details.

Portal-owners pack: Tree Rex
Starter set: Tree Rex, Cynder, Jet Vac
3DS starter set: Tree Rex, Cynder, Punch Pop Fizz (red variant)

EDIT: Yeah, probably not "new" news, but it's the closest I've seen to a confirmation.

Also, Best Buy has a "loot pack" with preorder.

f_skylandergiants0819_02.jpg

[quote name='thelonepig']Amazon updated with pictures of the boxes and more details.

Portal-owners pack: Tree Rex
Starter set: Tree Rex, Cynder, Jet Vac
3DS starter set: Tree Rex, Cynder, Punch Pop Fizz (red variant)

EDIT: Yeah, probably not "new" news, but it's the closest I've seen to a confirmation.

Also, Best Buy has a "loot pack" with preorder.

f_skylandergiants0819_02.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Cool, hope there are some better preorder bonuses out there though. My kids will lose that stuff in the first 24 hours

Hey guys! Need a few suggestions if anyone has the time. My nephew has recently gotten into these but he's only allowed to get one of each element for now.
I know everyone has differing opinions but which are the best/most fun from each element? Or would it better to wait and get the Giants versions of some? (even though it's B1G1 at BB right now).
So far he has Drobot, Stealth Elf and the starters. Thanks cag!

I FINALLY found my last two Skylanders today (Warnado and Camo seperates). I now have the main collection... until Giants releases that is.

While I was taking care of Wii U business at GS I went ahead and preordered the GS-exclusive "Golden Dragonfire Cannon Battle Pack". So, yeah, it has 3 things in it: series 2 Chop Chop, the cannon piece, and a new (regular size) character called ShroomBoom. Any idea what that Battle Cannon does? Is that a level or just an "attack" piece? If it is the latter, then they are really milking this stuff even more than before. For $25 (up from $20) you don't even get 3 new chars: 1 old one, 1 "piece", and 1 new character. Blah - but I have credit there and preordering saves me the hassle of calling all the time to see when they get in.

OK, looking at the GS web site, it appears even "cashyer-inyer" than I imagined. This cannon unlocks "an exclusive in-game battle arena". So is this like the stupid Best Buy Volcanic Vault piece? Or is there more to the "exclusive" battle arenas than last time? I certainly hope so. For anyone who doesn't know, the Best Buy Volcanic Vault piece just unlocked a new skin for the multiplayer (local only of course) battle arena. I mean, we played the multiplayer for like 10 minutes. But at least the Best Buy one was just an extra thing added at no cost to the first batch of starter bundles sold at Best Buy. This time it is 1/3 of this GS-exclusive pack. So, essentially, you need to pay $25 to get the one true exclusive GS character (ShroomBoom). I was OK with the way they handled the first game though I started to get annoyed with the all the price increases. Now I'm getting pissed.

I saw 3 of those volcanic vaults being sold at one BB for $45 each months ago. Either they were sold or they pulled them because they're gone now. I kept checking back to see if they'd drop the price on them.

Editing this video in at the top. Every character shown.
I think this is a video of the collector sheet you get with the Giants starter set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJF45Oe3jY8

The Complete Skylanders: Giants set
Includes 48 Characters

8 Giants (Compatible with Giants game only.)
8 New Regular Sized Figures (Compatible with Giants game only.)
8 Light Core figures comprised of 4 old characters and 4 new ones :: These light up when on the portal and have a special Light Core ONLY ability in game. (Gonna be popular and I suspect, hard to get your hands on some.) (Compatible with Giants game only.)
24 Series 2 characters which are series 1 characters reposed with new Wow Pow Power upgrades. (Compatible with Spyro's Adventure and Giants game.)

The 24 series 2 figures will all work with Skylanders: Spyros Adventure. The 8 Light Core, 8 New regular sized Giants figures and 8 Giants only work with Skylanders Giants.
All Original Skylanders work with Giants.

This time each element has:
1 Giant
1 Light Core
3 Series 2
1 New regular size figure

Here is a picture of my Excel sheet showing all Characters.

SkylanderGiantsChart.png

Safe Bets:
We can possibly make it 49 total named characters. The 3DS version is again getting an exclusive. Punch Pop Fizz.
All of the figures will likely not release when the game does. What will is anybodies guess.

Packaging:

Looks like the smaller figures are packaged exactly the same.
I don't see the cards behind the larger figure however, so it is probably under the figure. Given its size it probably fits there.

Another thing to note is the new area on the package dedicated to what games the figures are compatible with. For instance the Giant has a check mark for the Giants game but for the original and X. Same with the Light Core.

Can anybody make out the icon on the lower left of the Giants figure?

SGiants%20Packaging_zpse1db5477.png

Looks like 24 Series 2 characters based on the chart (not 16).

I'm not sure how I feel about this... seems like a money grab but what isn't these days? My son has 18/32 of the current Skylanders and he's not getting the other 14 - it's too much. I'd rather see 8 per game and release 2 smaller games per year or something.

[quote name='Javery']Looks like 24 Series 2 characters based on the chart (not 16).

I'm not sure how I feel about this... seems like a money grab but what isn't these days? My son has 18/32 of the current Skylanders and he's not getting the other 14 - it's too much. I'd rather see 8 per game and release 2 smaller games per year or something.[/QUOTE]

(Thanks took care of the typo.)

Well, yeah, its all a money grab man. :)

But the good thing is you don't need them all. For a collector he does, but then it is really just an expense of his collecting anyways.

I have heard that the new game is much better than the old one. Better, more fleshed out maps, (So you actually need to search.), indoor areas and a lot of better features.

One good thing though, you can use ALL of the old skylanders in the new game and they level to 15. So honestly, you can buy the cheaper version without the portal and your good to go. Save any new purchases for the kids on birthdays and Christmas.

Now to see how they are packaged and sold. I'll get the giants and the 8 new ones but have no interest in the series 2 characters. Seriously, how many different trigger happys and eruptors does one need?! if all variants were bought you could have somewhere around 7-8 different figures of those two characters alone!

If I'm reading your chart correctly; the light core ones are just variants and will have a normal (non light up) version as well.

I feel bad for how much shelf space skylanders in general will be taking up in stores.

[quote name='nbballard']If he is playing the first game, don't wait and get the new characters because they won't be compatible with the older game.[/QUOTE]

Info in the newly created other thread says otherwise

[quote name='shadowkast']Info in the newly created other thread says otherwise[/QUOTE]

The who and the what now? What was wrong with this thread?

Crap, so is the Shroom Boom in the GS-exclusive pack the light core one or not? If not, I may just cancel that (I preordered it). It comes with Series 2 Chop Chop which I don't need and apparently some dragon cannon that unlocks a battle arena. I'm thinking this is as useless as the Best Buy Volcanic Vault was but maybe it is a bit better.

And you can count on the 3-packs mixing news ones with Series 2 remakes - take that to the bank, in fact. And if the GS-exclusive pack is any indication, they'll be replacing one of the three characters in the 3-packs with a much less interesting "piece" like the Golden Dragonfire Cannon.

So the only way to get the new ones is via $10 (most places) singles. Yeah, definitely a cash grab...

I can't believe I did know about those mini companion skylanders. I did find a few bags today while at Target. I hope they still send them to me. While I was out looking for GBA games a lady and her son asked me for a "contribution" for some food for the kid. I didn't have cash but gave her 6 of those mini bags of chips. Man was she happy.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Ton of images here : http://imgur.com/a/3oWD4 (Found on the darkspyro forums). Looks like the lightcore ones have their own unique poses as well.[/QUOTE]

You linked the Skylanders Trading Cards. Something I haven't put much thought into yet. I wonder if that bug will hit me. LOL

Anyhow, I think I found the packaging. Let me upload and get it into the first post.

[quote name='Carbonite']You linked the Skylanders Trading Cards. Something I haven't put much thought into yet. I wonder if that bug will hit me. LOL

Anyhow, I think I found the packaging. Let me upload and get it into the first post.[/QUOTE]

True, but it looks like the trading card art and the figures will synch up nicely. Based on the images you just added, Series 2 Trigger Happy looks like the card for Series 2 Trigger Happy, and Lightcore Prism Break looks like the card for Lightcore Prism Break.

Finally got my minis from Lays. I was worried since you guys mentioned filling out the cards with number orders that I'd get dupes. I simply put all 4 forms in one envelope and marked 1 on each card for each character. Didn't bother with the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th placement.

Nevertheless I got all four with no issues. I have 3 more forms sitting at home. I was waiting to see if I'd get the full set before sending in more. Not sure what I'll do with two sets though.

[quote name='nbballard']If he is playing the first game, don't wait and get the new characters because they won't be compatible with the older game.[/QUOTE]

Actually all the Series 2 characters (Reposes of the original set) will be compatible with the first game.
The Giants, Light Core and New Regular size giants set will only work in the Giants game.

And of course all Spyro's Adventure characters will work in Giants.

bread's done
Back