Skylanders - Toys brought to life, Cross-platform Connectivity *Giants Out Now*

[quote name='prim4444']Looks like TRU might have wave 3 before Christmas. One of the highlights that I saw for 12/23 ad stated "Skylander Giants Wave 3 available". I don't want to say definite until I see the physical ad.[/QUOTE]

The 23rd would be great as it's been so long since wave 2 was released.

Just picked up some giants figures at JC Penny today. Giant figures are clearanced down to $10, Singles are $6, Lightcore are $7, and triple & battle packs were $14. There is also a 20% off coupon floating around that is good for this weekend. (I got it off of slickdeals). I got three single figures, a battlepack and a giant figure (they only had Bouncer) for ~$36. Hope this helps someone.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']Just picked up some giants figures at JC Penny today. Giant figures are clearanced down to $10, Singles are $6, Lightcore are $7, and triple & battle packs were $14. There is also a 20% off coupon floating around that is good for this weekend. (I got it off of slickdeals). I got three single figures, a battlepack and a giant figure (they only had Bouncer) for ~$36. Hope this helps someone.[/QUOTE]

They also have the starter portal pack for xbox, wii, wii u, for $50 after the 20% coupon its $40.

Can you have characters from one platform on the original game cross over to another platform for the Giants game? I have the original version on the 360 with a lot of characters and I also picked up the Wii version of Giants today for my son for Xmas. Once you use a character for one version it doesn't somehow locked them to being used only on that console? I know this is a stupid question but I just wanted to make sure.

Also I know the guys from the first game work with Giants so I will have a lot of basic guys for my son to use but is there a minimum of the "Giants" characters you would want to make the game more playable?

Yes you can switch between the 3 platforms without a problem (spyros adventure & giants). We've only played a little giants and it seems like you only need one.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Yes you can switch between the 3 platforms without a problem (spyros adventure & giants). We've only played a little giants and it seems like you only need one.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick reply.

One more question do the original characters that have "Giants" version how all the same powers in the second game just like their newer versions would?

I could be wrong but I don't think any of the series one figures get any new powers if played with giants. I haven't messed around with the series one figures in giants much so I could be wrong.

[quote name='ajh2298']Thanks for the quick reply.

One more question do the original characters that have "Giants" version how all the same powers in the second game just like their newer versions would?[/QUOTE]

Figures that have a Giants repose have a new special ability and can switch their skill paths (old figures have to be reset back to level 1 to change). Light core figures do not have this special ability (despite coming out with Giants and having an orange base) or ability to change paths, but they do have one other additional ability, a light bomb when they enter the game.

Overall, all things being equal get the Giants version if you have the choice. If the first one is on sale or you already have it, it probably isn't a big enough deal to buy the new one unless you really like that figure or are a collector.

That was the one most plentiful figure at my wm.

thanks for the JC penny heads up. Man!...what a deal 4.80 for singles series 2 and 11.xx for 3 packs.!! Between that and 19.99 series 1 starter sets sunday at kmart, I'm all tapped out. I laCK RESTRAINT

[quote name='my2k2zx2']Is the Walmart Glow in the Dark Sonic Boom new? Picked one up today, had not seen it before.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it was a BF release if I remember correctly.

Wow, for the first time ever I ran into glitches in this game. The game must have been going through issues as I've beat it already and clocked in quite a few hours since then doing other things and have never encountered issues like this before. All of this stuff started happening pretty much at the same time, in all levels:

- Gates that usually descend when unlocked were not moving downward into the ground, rather they became transparent and you could go through them.

- Keys you would get would freeze when approaching the door they went to. Only fix I found was mashing Y as soon as I got close otherwise it would get stuck in the air and become unobtainable when it does that animation where it zooms into a fixed position assuming you're going to tell it to unlock.

- Some enemies would not spawn in their designated areas which made progressing impossible since some were needed to unlock gates or bounce pads.

- Can't speak for the rest as I only encountered this one before I decided to turn this thing off but the very first chest in the Wiilkin Village would not let me open it. It would jump into the air when I got near it but (360 user here) Y would never appear on screen to let me unlock it. Other things that Y appeared for did normally such as talking to characters and around boulders for the giants to rip out of the ground.

- This may have just me but I could have sworn it wasn't registering some of my gem loot either.

I have no idea where all this crap came from, it's just like a glitchfest started transpiring throughout the whole game lol. I had it on for more than 6 hours, I don't know if that's what caused it or the game was just having a bizarre episode. I haven't started it up yet but I hope it's better today as I want to get in a lot of 100% cleared levels but if this crap still occurs no way I can.

[quote name='BFBB Delicious']Man, any way to get those 4 side kick figures anymore? Just got into the first Skylanders now and would love to have them. Not really prepared to pay eBay prices.[/QUOTE]

I am in the same boat, don't care much if they dont do anything, my son just loves the characters.

For those interested, here is the case breakdown for wave 3 singles.

Flashwing x2
Pop Fizz
Lightning Rod
Eruptor
Terrafin
Cynder
Stump Smash
Stealth Elf
Whirlwind
Prism Break
Drill Sergeant.

No giants or lightcore figures received yet.

[quote name='prim4444']For those interested, here is the case breakdown for wave 3 singles.

Flashwing x2
Pop Fizz
Lightning Rod
Eruptor
Terrafin
Cynder
Stump Smash
Stealth Elf
Whirlwind
Prism Break
Drill Sergeant.

No giants or lightcore figures received yet.[/QUOTE]

So are they street dated for the 23rd?

[quote name='defpally']So are they street dated for the 23rd?[/QUOTE]

They are supposed to be.

IMAG0026.jpg

[quote name='prim4444']They are supposed to be.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for the concrete information on Wave 3. :applause:

I guess the computer prevents early sale?

[quote name='defpally']Thank you very much for the concrete information on Wave 3. :applause:

I guess the computer prevents early sale?[/QUOTE]

Nope, same item # as previous waves. It's up to the stores to set them aside until then. There will always be a few stores that will put some of these out early.

I was reading the wave 3 case breakdown and I realized I have no idea what figures I already have... I am going to have to bring a printout with me on the 23rd lol

Some info to share for those stores that follow directions. I know there are a few stores that don't and have already sold some of their wave 3 stock.

Stores are to take half of the allotment of singles for the 23rd and put them out on the 21st so they will available at opening. Don't know how they will handle the 23rd as stores will be open from Friday - Monday 24 hours.

Wave 3 lightcore with Shroombroom will be sold in store on 12/20

Lightcore case breakdown

Shroombroom x4
Drobot x2
Eruptor x2
Prism Break x2
Jet Vac x2

IMAG0028_zps1acfa7ce.jpg

No direction about wave 3 giants so no info there. I can not confirm any new giants as of yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
has anyone seen any mention of which giant is gonna be released? I'm starting to doubt any of them will, i have talked to 4 toys r us in my area and all they got were s2 singles and lightcore.

wave 3 being released on dec 23, other forums got pics of boxes listing this, and some even have them already out.

[quote name='asgaga']wave 3 being released on dec 23, other forums got pics of boxes listing this, and some even have them already out.[/QUOTE]

Earlier actually.

[quote name='prim4444']Some info to share for those stores that follow directions. I know there are a few stores that don't and have already sold some of their wave 3 stock.

Stores are to take half of the allotment of singles for the 23rd and put them out on the 21st so they will available at opening. Don't know how they will handle the 23rd as stores will be open from Friday - Monday 24 hours.

Wave 3 lightcore with Shroombroom will be sold in store on 12/20

Lightcore case breakdown

Shroombroom x4
Drobot x2
Eruptor x2
Prism Break x2
Jet Vac x2

IMAG0028_zps1acfa7ce.jpg

No direction about wave 3 giants so no info there. I can not confirm any new giants as of yet.[/QUOTE]

Still nothing in our communications about any new giants.

Hmm, the only thing new to me is the lightcore Shroomboom. The little one will be very disappointed if there isn't even a single Giant for Christmas.

Also picked up Shroomboom at 12:01AM at TRU. They have single boxes marked for the 23rd in the stockroom. Nothing new for Giants figures. Still have hope for a new shipment w/ giants, but it's not looking likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to 2 TRU last night trying to find a legendary Bouncer for my nephew. They had singles of Flashwing and Sprocket, but nothing else new.

[quote name='nbballard']Went to 2 TRU last night trying to find a legendary Bouncer for my nephew. They had singles of Flashwing and Sprocket, but nothing else new.[/QUOTE]

You can order it from the website (on sale for $11.99 too). The shipping will probably cost more than the figure to get it here before Christmas, but if he is set on it then it is there.

[quote name='defpally']You can order it from the website (on sale for $11.99 too). The shipping will probably cost more than the figure to get it here before Christmas, but if he is set on it then it is there.[/QUOTE]

There is that free year of Shoprunner going on, which includes free two day shipping from TRU. I'm not sure if Skylanders are eligible, though.

Went to TRU this morning, picked up the four new ones (Lightning Rod, Stealth Elf, Eruptor & Prism Break). They had half of their 12/23 boxes out, the few of us there got to pick through the boxes for what we needed. The contents and release (half today, half Sunday, Shroomboom LC yesterday) was exactly as prim4444 had reported earlier - as is the ad for next week, which is out on the web now. Thanks for the heads up and accurate info!

Just picked up the Skylanders Wii bundle for the kids with exclusive Gnarly Tree Rex at Target on sale for $119. Already sold the S2 Cynder and Jet Vac for $20.

Krogers in east TN has singles for $7.49 and 3-packs for $18.74 with. Your Krogers card. They had some light cores but didn't have a different price on the tags. I'm sure if I tried to buy one they'd le me have it for $7.49. They had allthe3-packs, and most of series 1 and 2.

Too bad my kids areall caught up...

Ok my wife got me Giants for Christmas and its great fun, I do have one quick questions: I'm fairly sure I can just buy the original game separately and it will work fine with the portal for any system, but is it worth it (most places I've seen it sold solo for like $40, I was hoping for less since it wouldn't have the portal)?

[quote name='Erad30']Ok my wife got me Giants for Christmas and its great fun, I do have one quick questions: I'm fairly sure I can just buy the original game separately and it will work fine with the portal for any system, but is it worth it (most places I've seen it sold solo for like $40, I was hoping for less since it wouldn't have the portal)?[/QUOTE]

Well,
Did you enjoy the second game enough to want more of the same?

The second game is shorter, but the graphics are slightly better, and the gameplay is a bit more refined.
I bought into this to play with my son, but to be honest I don't see myself playing any of it if that wasn't the case. The story doesn't evolve beyond barely understandable babble, and the grinding (to level up) gets quite boring after a while.

[quote name='Erad30']Ok my wife got me Giants for Christmas and its great fun, I do have one quick questions: I'm fairly sure I can just buy the original game separately and it will work fine with the portal for any system, but is it worth it (most places I've seen it sold solo for like $40, I was hoping for less since it wouldn't have the portal)?[/QUOTE]
I'd agree that the second plays better than the first. Also, some figures won't work with the first game from the Giants series. I thought the first one was okay, but clearly designed and written for children, lots of groan-inducing jokes for my taste. The second has toned that down quite a bit.

As a side-note, has anyone seen the solo Shroomboom anywhere yet?

[quote name='gravel']I'd agree that the second plays better than the first. Also, some figures won't work with the first game from the Giants series. I thought the first one was okay, but clearly designed and written for children, lots of groan-inducing jokes for my taste. The second has toned that down quite a bit.

As a side-note, has anyone seen the solo Shroomboom anywhere yet?[/QUOTE]

There is no solo Shroomboom, and likely will not be one. It seems that the Battle Pack figures aren't showing up on most inventory SKUs and if they take a queue from the first game, the Adventure Pack figures never showed up individually. If you want Shroomboom and not the Battle Pack, you need to most likely go with the Lightcore version (which does come in a single). But, you can find that Battle Pack on sale frequently, so you may just want to pick it up on a good deal.

My son and I have really enjoyed Giants since Christmas, he got a boat load of figures (we all loved the first game). But given all of the figure choices he has, who does he play the most often ... Tree Rex, the guy that came in the Starter Pack. I'm sure he will choose another at some point, he likes to focus on one character to level them up, and then chooses another to focus on. My toddler especially loves the figures, he pulls them all out - Crusher and Granite Crusher are his favorites, now I just gotta get him to stop banging their hammers together all the time :)

The game plays so much better, they got rid of most of the weird bounce pad behavior, the figures get stuck on the geometry much less often and it senses two players getting stuck on the opposite sides of a timed door much better (it ports the left behind player forward). All of the figures have voices now too, and seem to display cool personalities better in their animation. Levels are also much longer and varied. Having a skill level selection (3 plus 1 unlocked harder skill) is going to add a lot of longevity.

[quote name='defpally']There is no solo Shroomboom, and likely will not be one. It seems that the Battle Pack figures aren't showing up on most inventory SKUs and if they take a queue from the first game, the Adventure Pack figures never showed up individually. If you want Shroomboom and not the Battle Pack, you need to most likely go with the Lightcore version (which does come in a single). But, you can find that Battle Pack on sale frequently, so you may just want to pick it up on a good deal.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I meant the Lightcore Shroomboom. I think it was supposed to hit right before Christmas, but I haven't seen it near me yet. I really have no interest in the cannon, so I haven't bought the Battle Pack.

[quote name='gravel']Thanks, I meant the Lightcore Shroomboom. I think it was supposed to hit right before Christmas, but I haven't seen it near me yet. I really have no interest in the cannon, so I haven't bought the Battle Pack.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the cannon isn't much, especially if you don't care about the PvP arenas. It just follows you and shoots things for a short time. The cannon itself IS a Lightcore though, so it is a pretty cool figure (the Gamestop one lights up orange, the regular one blue). Lightcore Shroomboom released on 12/20 at TRU, and some have said they have seen it a few times elsewhere. You may be able to find it around soon, but now you are in the post-Christmas rush, so it may be rough. I got mine at the opening at TRU on 12/20, they had two Lightcore cases of them, each case has four Shroombooms (and 2 each of the other ones) - so only eight total in a pretty high traffic store. He is one of the better Lightcore figures, with his eye and a mushroom lighting up.

I suggested the Battle Pack only because you can find it on sale pretty often, and when you factor in your time and shipping, it might be worth the consideration if you find a good deal.

Now, something else to think about. Hot Dog has no Lightcore, so the only known way to get him (and Series 2 Zap) may be the new Battle Pack coming to Gamestop exclusively in January, everywhere else in February. You can pre-order it now online and in store, the release date was recently pushed back to 1/9/2013. There is a variant version of him (called "Molten") but when/where/if it is ever released is unknown and it may just be in a store exclusive version of the Battle Pack too.

bread's done
Back