Skyrim $39.99 at TRU Sunday 12/18-12/24

Nice deal for all the folks that want a vanilla copy. I still plan on holding out a few months to get the enormous collectors edition 50% off.

[quote name='j.t']Have the fixed the ps3 version yet. If yes, I'm in for one[/QUOTE]

No, they haven't. That said, I was able to get 120 hours out of mine before selling it on ebay for $51. Game froze on me about a half a dozen times and lagged in the cities but was otherwise still playable. And I max-leveled my character and had a 14MB save file...so it's YMMV

[quote name='Blumpkin']Nice deal for all the folks that want a vanilla copy. I still plan on holding out a few months to get the enormous collectors edition 50% off.[/QUOTE]

It's totally worth it.

Bought mine at Amazon for $52, even if I bought this one and returned it back to Amazon, I'd have to pay shipping and maybe get $5 back. Lot of hassle for that. If they continue their B1G1 50% off, I'm in.

I'll PM this at BB. I've wanted to play this game since its release but was waiting for a sale. $40 seems reasonable, thanks OP.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']No, they haven't. That said, I was able to get 120 hours out of mine before selling it on ebay for $51. Game froze on me about a half a dozen times and lagged in the cities but was otherwise still playable. And I max-leveled my character and had a 14MB save file...so it's YMMV[/QUOTE]

Is it worse than Fallout 3/NV cuz I was able to beat them with minimal freezes glitches and freezes. Not too bad, only Fallout 3 goty more so that NV

Wait. Exactly how bad are we talking in reference to PS3 version? I mean is the game truly broken (lost data, freezes, game breaking) or is it glitches like odd textures, animations, etc.

I need to read up on this.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']How long does TRU allow for a price adjustment?[/QUOTE]

30 day return if I remember right. So if they don't PM just buy one and return it on the old more expensive receipt

Also not sure but they probably have an extended holiday return period

[quote name='ck76']Wait. Exactly how bad are we talking in reference to PS3 version? I mean is the game truly broken (lost data, freezes, game breaking) or is it glitches like odd textures, animations, etc.

I need to read up on this.[/QUOTE]

Biggest problem seems to be that when your save file hits around 5MB, you MIGHT get the lagging glitch. Basically the frame rate drops so low the experience suffers greatly.

[quote name='ck76']Wait. Exactly how bad are we talking in reference to PS3 version? I mean is the game truly broken (lost data, freezes, game breaking) or is it glitches like odd textures, animations, etc.

I need to read up on this.[/QUOTE]
From reports it seems that the longer you play the PS3 version of the game, and the larger your save file gets, the game slows down considerably. Eventualy you spend more time looking at loading screens then actually playing the game.

http://www.1up.com/news/bethesda-tips-reduce-skyrim-ps3-lag

Whatever you do, do NOT buy the ps3 version. I just traded my copy back to amazon. It is broken like you won't believe. Trust me, Bethesda will NEVER fix this game on ps3.

Def interested in jumping on this deal. After all the praise Skyrim has been getting, I feel like I owe it to myself to check it out.

[quote name='Blumpkin']Eventualy you spend more time looking at loading screens then actually playing the game.[/QUOTE]

So essentially it's Duke Nukem Forever? :whistle2:#

[quote name='espy605']Biggest problem seems to be that when your save file hits around 5MB, you MIGHT get the lagging glitch. Basically the frame rate drops so low the experience suffers greatly.[/QUOTE]

Which btw, seems to be a good reason to not buy any copy (at least vanilla copies, including 360). Bundled with the fact that they'll release a GOTY in a year to compliment this frustrating experience. Seems like Bethesda doesn't care about consumers enough to fix obvious problems that are still on older games. (PS3 Shivering Isles, Mothership Zeta)

In all honesty, I'm not trying to attract flame, just trying to warn any unsuspecting PS3 owner so they don't blow their cash, and don't reward this behavior by just opting for the 360 version. Although I'm sure this'll get patched, it's already December and if this were MW3, Activision would've had a class action on their hands.

/soapbox

[quote name='Blumpkin']From reports it seems that the longer you play the PS3 version of the game, and the larger your save file gets, the game slows down considerably. Eventualy you spend more time looking at loading screens then actually playing the game.

http://www.1up.com/news/bethesda-tips-reduce-skyrim-ps3-lag[/QUOTE]

First, thank you for response and article.

So, turn off auto save, and I have still about 400gb on my HDD and rest in the game. Hmmm, and patches have been mixed bag. I'd ask others to state how big an issue this is as really would be make or break for me on it (shame as really excited for this title).

I've have multiple friends still playing it on the PS3 with no major problems and one has his save file well over 15 MB. The bugs are bad but YMMV. Stick with the 360 version but don't be scared away by the PS3 bugs.

[quote name='darkjedi187']Go figure just picked this up at Gamestop Sunday and they don't price match. Oh well had some stuff to dump and got it for $5.[/QUOTE]

But they do have a return policy and the TRU copy should have the same UPC code.

I'm tempted to pick up the PS3 version.... I bought it and then returned it... for 40 though..Im willing to take a chance on it. I need more information regarding how the game plays when you turn off the auto save and follow the other reccommended settings to get the game to run decently.

I have had very minimal issues with the PS3 version of Skyrim. Besides trying to fight a backwards flying dragon(which was hilarious) the game has run great for me. I have all but 50 hrs in already and couldn't be happier. Skyrim is definitely my game of the year and second best game I ever played, just behind Fallout 3. Either way, I'm sure the issues vary per player but my experience has been nothing but great.

[quote name='shivan128']Too bad BB's pricematch policy is 30 days... just far out enough not to get $20 back from them.[/QUOTE]

They have an extended holiday return policy. Buy at TRU, then return that copy at Best Buy with your receipt (UPCs should match up).

glad i got this with saints row 3 from amazon during the b1g1 50% off. got skyrim + sr3 for $70 and brought sr3 into walmart for a $65 gc.
return fraud be damned.
skyrim for $5

I've only had what I would consider minor issues with Skyrim on PS3 compared to New Vegas, and I'm about 100 hours in.

The worst was when it froze completely during an autosave and the PS3 had to rebuild the filesystem. Other than that, I think there was one other freeze, and the lag has been a bit bad during some of the civil war quests. Other than that, I'm enjoying it just fine.

[quote name='shivan128']Too bad BB's pricematch policy is 30 days... just far out enough not to get $20 back from them.[/QUOTE]

The extended holiday return policy started November 13. You can go back and get a PM all the way through January 24.

I picked up the PS3 version from TRU on release day during their B2G1 sale. So, I got it for $40. I started to play, then read about the issues, and stopped since. I am hoping they will fix it soon. In the meantime, I have other games to play. I will be watching and hoping the Collector's Edition goes on sale, so I can pick one up on 360. I'd like to see it go below $75.

So tempting, but my wife will divorce me if I buy this game! Curse my gaming addiction! Also having Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck talk about this game every week doesn't help either!

[quote name='Blumpkin']Nice deal for all the folks that want a vanilla copy. I still plan on holding out a few months to get the enormous collectors edition 50% off.[/QUOTE]

yep....it's hard because i want really want to get in there....but i'm waiting

I have played Skyrim on PS3 for about 100+ hours, my save file size is currently at 14MB and so far the game has only frozen twice and that was shortly after the very first patch, the second patch seems to have improved things a little. It is true that loading times get worse the longer you play the game but other than that Skyrim is very playable on PS3, just make sure to keep lots of save files in case the game freezes or glitches

As much as I want this game for my PS3, I can't imagine the price will stay high for much longer. It seems well and truly broken over the long term. God only knows how many used copies must be flooding Amazon and other retailers.

I've only run intro one glitch so far. One of my companions was stuck in some geometry. I had to kill the enemies by myself, but it wasn't too bad. Quite comical though, lol.

Is the file size of your game save directly related to played time? Or is it how much you've done in game as far as things like leveling and exploring goes?

Also is played time still accumulated when the game is paused? I could swear I haven't played as much as my played time says I have lol.

Thanks for the heads up. I plan on picking this up for play during my vacation week after Christmas. I hope there is a bunch of snow on the ground so I can hunker down for some serious dragon slaying. $40 is my buy point for this game.

bread's done
Back