Sleep is Death - Name your price (min $1.75)

Highly recommended, but understandable if you aren't interested in the game.

There is a community called sidtube here:
http://sidtube.com/

Where you can find people to play with, upload/read flipbooks of previous games, and download resources to use in your own games

I don't know what I was just watching for two minutes, but it convinced me not to buy this game. Also, having a minimum price does not allow you to set your own price IMO!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree partly. If you're going to do a name your own price sale, don't be a douche and set a minimum. I know alot of people would pay a penny, but with these sales it seemed to average at a decent clip anyway.

Oh well, their choice, I hope it works out well for them.

BTW what the fuck is this game about?

Bought it and did not receive an e-mail. What is going on? There isn't even any contact info for help...

I'm not quite sure what to make of this, but my curiosity is piqued. At worst I'm out of $2...

Setting a minimum basically tells people 'Hey everyone, don't pay anything over this!' But hey, at least he's covering his fees.

Now, I received my email instantly. I know you're supposed to share this game with a friend, but is the ticket limited to two people, or do you receive two links? Not too sure how that works out.

I was going to pick this game up a few weeks ago, but have been waiting until I got home. Will probably pay around $10 since I'm not entirely sure wtf is going on, even after watching the tutorials.

Considering everything though, the minimum doesn't seem too out of line, I doubt he wants to lose money. There is a 2.4% to 3.1% + $.30 fee for every credit card transaction through paypal, and I'm pretty sure that the FastSpring distribution website has some sort of fee per transaction. I doubt he's making very much, if ANYTHING, off the minimum.

God damn people, read about the game if you are so confused.

Two people play. One person is the 'writer', the other is the 'actor'. The writer sets a scene and puts a character in it using a library of icons and settings. They can also illustrate any objects/characters/animals/etc they want as well, and have this ability throughout the game. Now, turns switch, and the actor can tell the writer what they want to happen. The writer's turn then follows, and they can either heed the actor's requests, or can do their own thing if they want.

The only rule is that there is a time limit for each turn. So let's say the scene is a room with a woman in it. The actor can say "the woman summons a demon", at which point the writer, who let's say decides to heed the actor's request, must then draw a demon if there isn't one in the library, and can also give it a sword if they want to.

The idea is that you write a dynamic story with a friend, and that the story can literally go anywhere and be anything. If you play it with any level of seriousness, it promises to be, at the very least, surprising. It is, of course, not for everyone, and many people may not even consider it a 'video game' in the 'classic' sense.

EDIT: Here is a (fairly pretentious) article about a game that an IGN writer played with the creator:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1079328p1.html
It really illustrates how the game mechanics function.

It is also worth mentioning that I am really quite astonished by the harsh outcry from a few of you regarding the minimum price. It is $1.75. What are you doing with a fucking credit card if $1.75 is so heinous? And to go and argue the validity of referring to this pricing option as "name your own price", as though he has somehow offended you by doing so? Wow. Have you somehow forgotten that "name your own price" almost always does not mean that you can pay nothing? That means that there is a minimum of .01 on all "name your own price" purchasing plans. Does that somehow offend you as well? How dare they refer to it as "name your own price" when you don't even have the option of NOT PAYING ONE, right?

I got it, if anything for the original concept. As for complaining about a $1.75 minimum, thats crazy. If less then $2 is such a concern then don't get it at all. I'm fine with the devs putting a min price, to protect against the hundreds of people who pay that awesome .01 cents for the game during such deals. Its still a bargin if you are interested, and if not go buy that cheeseburger instead.

[quote name='supershammy']It is also worth mentioning that I am really quite astonished by the harsh outcry from a few of you regarding the minimum price. It is $1.75. What are you doing with a fucking credit card if $1.75 is so heinous? And to go and argue the validity of referring to this pricing option as "name your own price", as though he has somehow offended you by doing so? Wow. Have you somehow forgotten that "name your own price" almost always does not mean that you can pay nothing? That means that there is a minimum of .01 on all "name your own price" purchasing plans. Does that somehow offend you as well? How dare they refer to it as "name your own price" when you don't even have the option of NOT PAYING ONE, right?[/QUOTE]

Entitlement can really be a beast.

Rewarding someone [or at least meeting the break even point]
for their efforts comes off as a taunt to some.
Name your price should not be synonymous with
getting over completely and giving back none.
Especially with the indie developers.

Fortunately, few folks actually take the time to post and
contest what was intended as an act of creator
[whose motives are not really our concern] generosity,
though it still reflects poorly of this site, just the same.

[quote name='supershammy']
Two people play. One person is the 'writer', the other is the 'actor'. The writer sets a scene and puts a character in it using a library of icons and settings. They can also illustrate any objects/characters/animals/etc they want as well, and have this ability throughout the game. Now, turns switch, and the actor can tell the writer what they want to happen. The writer's turn then follows, and they can either heed the actor's requests, or can do their own thing if they want.

The only rule is that there is a time limit for each turn. So let's say the scene is a room with a woman in it. The actor can say "the woman summons a demon", at which point the writer, who let's say decides to heed the actor's request, must then draw a demon if there isn't one in the library, and can also give it a sword if they want to.

The idea is that you write a dynamic story with a friend, and that the story can literally go anywhere and be anything. If you play it with any level of seriousness, it promises to be, at the very least, surprising. It is, of course, not for everyone, and many people may not even consider it a 'video game' in the 'classic' sense.
[/QUOTE]

Sounds... well, I'm trying to think of a word other than "gay," but nothing's coming to me.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Sounds... well, I'm trying to think of a word other than "gay," but nothing's coming to me.[/QUOTE]I think the word you're looking for is 'awesome'.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Sounds... well, I'm trying to think of a word other than "gay," but nothing's coming to me.[/QUOTE]

That's funny, I'm trying to think of a word for you other than retarded. But the only thing that's coming to me is "12 years old."

On topic, the game is pretty sweet and for $2 everyone should at least try it out.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Sounds... well, I'm trying to think of a word other than "gay," but nothing's coming to me.[/QUOTE]
Win.

Do you only think of the word gay? :D Thanks for your opinion now please move along. These are not the games your looking for.

Or hey, try to make a game yourself. Something experimental.

I may or may not like it, that's fine but I'll support it and try it. In a world filled with FPS clones and Wii junk being churned out I'm all for the experimental stuff that might slowly build into Mirrors Edge or Portal games.

[quote name='rawrker']I got it, if anything for the original concept. As for complaining about a $1.75 minimum, thats crazy. If less then $2 is such a concern then don't get it at all. I'm fine with the devs putting a min price, to protect against the hundreds of people who pay that awesome .01 cents for the game during such deals. Its still a bargin if you are interested, and if not go buy that cheeseburger instead.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I've actually noticed that a lot of CAGs are "REALLY REALLY Cheap Ass Gamers". At least they aren't pirating.

I'm all for experimental games, but this just seems like roleplay.

I'm glad they have a minimum, though. No room for moral idealogues to complain that you're hurting the devs by paying a cent (or that the devs don't actually want you to pay that much, etc).

[quote name='supershammy']God damn people, read about the game if you are so confused.

[/QUOTE]

Dude you are awesome :) I think this is the best response to "WTF? I cant shoot nuthin in this shitty game!

Funny post.

[quote name='Jodou']I don't know what I was just watching for two minutes, but it convinced me not to buy this game. [/QUOTE]

Ditto.

The posts in this thread make me realize how many people at this site are using the internet connection that their parents are providing for them.

[quote name='supershammy']The posts in this thread make me realize how many people at this site are using the internet connection that their parents are providing for them.[/QUOTE]:D:lol::applause: Heh.

I really need to start making more SID stories...

[quote name='Unrealevil']I'm all for experimental games, but this just seems like roleplay.

I'm glad they have a minimum, though. No room for moral idealogues to complain that you're hurting the devs by paying a cent (or that the devs don't actually want you to pay that much, etc).[/QUOTE]

It's really not much like roleplay. Obviously you could play it that way, and some people do, but the several dozen games I've played it hasn't really been like that at all. I haven't really come across a serious game where someone was trying to tell a story (and I certainly don't run my games like that) but it's usually pretty fucking hilarious. I'm don't think I've ever played a game that made me laugh out loud as much as Sleep is Death.

Everyone with an interest in video games really should give it a try. Or even people who aren't, my mom got a kick out of playing it and the closest thing to a video game that she's ever played are solitaire and Facebook Scrabble.

At 2 bones it's a no brainer.

[quote name='Don illmatix']I probably would've bought this had i not seen the video and only read the description..[/QUOTE]

Why's that? The video at the top of the thread has nothing to do with the actual game.

A friend of mine was telling me about this game and how much he enjoys it. In his latest game he fought against an army of zombie nuns. When it looked like he was getting overrun he summoned Wolverine. Yes, the X-Man.

Creativity needs to be encouraged and rewarded, I'll gladly give this developer some cash and have some fun myself!

[quote name='Unrealevil']I'm glad they have a minimum, though. No room for moral idealogues to complain that you're hurting the devs by paying a cent (or that the devs don't actually want you to pay that much, etc).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you may be onto something.
Morality is awful. Screw everyone, a cheap game is a cheap game.
The less we pay them, the more free games they can throw at us.
It's their own fault for allowing themselves to be ripped off.

[quote name='vikingvessel']Yeah, you may be onto something.
Morality is awful. Screw everyone, a cheap game is a cheap game.
The less we pay them, the more free games they can throw at us.
It's their own fault for allowing themselves to be ripped off.[/QUOTE]
:roll:

I guess idealogues can find room even when it's not there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, if a SID story sucks, it's the narrator's fault, not the developer.

And obviously, SID won't appeal to everyone, so it's pointless to argue. SID would appeal more to creators than it would consumers.

[quote name='eugaet']Honestly, if a SID story sucks, it's the narrator's fault, not the developer.

And obviously, SID won't appeal to everyone, so it's pointless to argue. SID would appeal more to creators than it would consumers.[/QUOTE]

Pointless to argue? Hardly. Most people who haven't played it, whether or not they would like the game, don't understand what it is. Perhaps it isn't really an argument since one side has no idea what they're talking about, but that never stops the clowns in Congress so why should it stop us?

It's an incredibly unique gameplay experience that anyone with an interest in video games should at the very least try. Maybe you don't love video games, but a lot of us do and feel that's something worth arguing for.

But if you don't personally want to have that argument perhaps you'll enjoy the one about whose fault it is when a SiD story sucks. While I'd usually agree that the Controller is more at fault there are some times when the player is just terrible (intentionally or otherwise) and putting it all on the Controller in all situations is going too far.

[quote name='hpv']Pointless to argue? Etc.[/QUOTE]I concede on all points. I had thought of most of that after I posted, but I was on a Winmo device and it was a pain just to post what I did.

We need to have a method of setting up games here or something.

I have no idea what I'm doing with this game, though. I can't even mess around offline and make any sense, let alone do it under the pressure of a 30 second time limit.

Okay, as has been said here before, you either like this sort of thing or you don't. At two bucks, if you're slightly interested you should try it. If you don't want it because of the video, don't worry about it. It's nothing like the video.

Now, about the story being solely the controller's responsibility, that's just not true. I can't tell you how many sucky stories I've been forced to play on sidtube where the players are just asses to be asses.

The best way to organize a group of other people to play with would be to create a Steam group. Then everybody needs to add the game to Steam (by clicking Add a Game and then Add a Non-Steam Game in the Steam client) so others can see when you're playing SiD.

There are four existing SiD Steam groups, or we could create one just for CAGs.

bread's done
Back