Smokin Hot Best Buy Coupon (Up to 25% off)

Tirade

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Taken from SD (F4E1)

10%, 15% and 25% off at Best Buy on "Toys"

https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/pdf/2564_coupon.pdf

List of things that Best Buy considers Toys

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&ks=960&st=toy&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1%7E%7Eq746f79%7E%7Encabcat0010000%23%238%23%2357&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n

and

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&ks=960&st=toy&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1%7E%7Eq746f79%7E%7Encabcat0700000%23%23e%23%231nm&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n

No exclusions listed on the coupon. As always YMMV but its a legit coupon.

Here is a possible scenario:

PS3 80GB 499.99
+ Motorsports Authentics - 1:24-Scale Jeff Green Monte Carlo Die-cast Car 2.99
+ Motorsports Authentics - 1:24-Scale Jeff Green Monte Carlo Die-cast Car 2.99

Total: 505.97 - 25%(126.50) = 379.47

I used to work for BB and for some reason whenever pple start to work for them they become BB Drones. I never understood it pple act like its their store! I would pass through coupons and mark stuff down for pple all the time! Stick it to the BB!

This is really a strech, I would say don't waste your time/money/gas.

As far as watch dogs and the like, this is obviously true to some extent. They must have people monitoring for exploits and what not.

[quote name='V878']Don't know why people stopped posting in this thread but no one in Slick Deals was successful using this for a PS3 or 360.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=697671&page=11

I wouldn't really waste your time with this.[/quote]
Huh? The link you provided tells how someone was successful using this on a PS3. Read the post by zeusmontes. He got a 40gig PS3, AC, and COD4 for $356.97!

I read this thread (and the linked SD thread), immediately jumped in the car, drove 5 mins to my office, printed out the coupon, went to the jampacked Best Buy, snagged the 360 Elite, a PS2 Dualshock, and a (white) 360 play and charge kit. Went straight to Customer Service (barely any line at all). I was worried they would give me crap about it, but oddly enough, they were wondering if the accessories were covered by the coupon, not the 360. The cashier scanned my RZ card and the coupon, rang up the items. No discount. She turned to the group of BB CSRs, asked for a override, and voila, Elite, (satin silver) PS2 controller, and (white) play and charge for $385.84. (The Elite itself was $337.49 + tax).
Returned home jubilant.

Total trip time: 22 minutes.

Wow. Best YMMV deal of all time. And man, I *never* get YMMV deals to work, *EVER*. This makes up big time for all the missed Walmart Wavebirds, CC $20 GCs, etc....

Hmm. I think I need a PS3, too.. if only for the BluRay player in it....

This does work, it will require a supervisor override. very YMMV
I bought:
- Xbox 360 Pro: $262.49 (Normally $350)
- Call of Duty 4: $28.49 (on sale for $37.99 this week, but normally $60)
- PS2 kids game for my 3 year old: $11.24 (normally $20)

$408 worth of stuff was $325.64 out the door with CA Tax

FYI: I was at Mission Viejo, CA store, checked out at customer service.
I showed them the "Games and Toys" page from the website that shows Xbox/PS3/Wii.
I think it helps that they were SUPER busy today.

BTW: they also had WII in stock, maybe 2 dozen of them in customer service area.

Well don't expect it to work on anything video game related. But is there anything at bestbuy this might be worth using on?

Simpsons $28.99
COD4 $28.99
Mass 20 somthing used some reward zone cards as well

Needs override they wouldn't take MS point cards due to the
fact they are not a toy but, CSR said video games are toys.

[quote name='jrrab']I used to work for BB and for some reason whenever pple start to work for them they become BB Drones. I never understood it pple act like its their store! I would pass through coupons and mark stuff down for pple all the time! Stick it to the BB![/QUOTE]

i think bestbuy is handing out some kool aid because i dont see why all these college aged employees defend the store so ferociously and see bestbuy as a "sophisticated retail joint" when best buy is barely a step above wal-mart. Bestbuys just a gigantic corporate machine like the rest, that really doesnt treasure every employee despite their optimistic thinking.

It will work because the coupon doesnt explicitly exclude videogames.

The only thing that might mess this up is a company wide email making this coupon invalid. Basically we need people keep trying this coupon out until they no longer accept it, then ask why, and try to get out of them a "company-wide coupon recall" or something, then report it here on CAG.

The funny thing is, the more we try to see if this deal died, the closer we are to killing it ourselves.

So much for schrodinger's cat

[quote name='ihavenolife123']It will work because the coupon doesnt explicitly exclude videogames.

The only thing that might mess this up is a company wide email making this coupon invalid. Basically we need people keep trying this coupon out until they no longer accept it, then ask why, and try to get out of them a "company-wide coupon recall" or something, then report it here on CAG.

The funny thing is, the more we try to see if this deal died, the closer we are to killing it ourselves.

So much for schrodinger's cat[/QUOTE]

I guarantee you if I get any BB GCs, I will try out a PS3 on Friday.

It Will work. but not all the time.

Friend wanted a PSP slim, drove around a bit.

One best buy said no, the usual asshole one which I dont even know why the hell we went to in the first place.

Then drove ten minutes to another.

Bam, worked, hell the manager KNEW about the coupon and was more than happy to take the discount off of a PSP SLIM Daxter bundle pack, Mass Effect, and COD4

Out the door price I believe was around 250ish. Didnt check, but a great ass haul.

Thats it... I'm heading to BB after Xmas. I have semi-bricked PSP Slim due to IDStorage Corrupted. I'll try to pickup Daxter Bundle, The Orange Box (PS3) & 4GB Memory Stick Pro Duo with this coupon.

Because this actually is a Rewardszone coupon, do you actually need to be a member for this to work? Not necessarily a stupid question, as I have zero clue on what you need to be a Rewards Zone member.

[quote name='MIGGO']Because this actually is a Rewardszone coupon, do you actually need to be a member for this to work? Not necessarily a stupid question, as I have zero clue on what you need to be a Rewards Zone member.[/quote]
Yes, you must be a RZ member. However, it's free to join and you can do so in-store - the entire process takes about three to five minutes. To join, just ask anybody working there.

[quote name='MIGGO']Because this actually is a Rewardszone coupon, do you actually need to be a member for this to work? Not necessarily a stupid question, as I have zero clue on what you need to be a Rewards Zone member.[/quote]
You can also sign up online and print out a temporary card employees can scan.
https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/

I'm still going to try this on Wednesday, but the people on the SD thread are retarded in their logic that the BB website lumps game systems and toys in the same category. On the main selection bar at the top of the site there is a button that says "Games & Toys," meaning that there they can find games, and that there they can find toys. On the resulting page, it lists the game consoles and as a completely seperate category "Toys & Kids Electronics." Their logic is like saying that a a coupon for a "television" would work on a GPS system because the "TV & Video" button on the site also results in a page listing GPS Navigation, among other things. That it says games and toys and that video games are not underneath an umbrella "toys" category should make plenty of sense.

You could argue that it's obvious what a TV is and that the definition of a toy is more broad, but it's absolutely cut and dry in this modern retail environment. Each and every product in the store has a classification. Where I would call the employees stupid is not showing in their inventory system that there is a clear-cut, distinct category for "toys" that is completely seperate from video game hardware, video game software, and video game accessories (which all have their own further defined categories per individual system).

I don't hold anything against them (and me and us) for being opportunistic, but they're dillusional in their logic.

[quote name='Erikph2']Simpsons $28.99
COD4 $28.99
Mass 20 somthing used some reward zone cards as well

Needs override they wouldn't take MS point cards due to the
fact they are not a toy but, CSR said video games are toys.[/QUOTE]

This is soooo tempting (to try and buy a PS3 40GB for $300--my target price for this year) but I'd feel like such an ass pushing this . . . you have to state an obvious falsehood . . . VGs are clearly not considered toys by BB. So you have to hold a sincere face with a clerk and then stand your shaky ground with a manager.

[quote name='schultzed']This is soooo tempting (to try and buy a PS3 40GB for $300--my target price for this year) but I'd feel like such an ass pushing this . . . you have to state an obvious falsehood . . . VGs are clearly not considered toys by BB. So you have to hold a sincere face with a clerk and then stand your shaky ground with a manager.[/quote]
It'd help if you have some proof with you. Bring a printout of their site showing results for a search using the word "toy." Alternatively, have the site ready to show on your psp, iPhone, etc. If I try, that's what I'd do. Apparently, this is how someone on SD got it to work.

So what did you guys say to get this deal? Some people have said to tell the person to search for "toy", but if the person types in "toys", it shows up that section only without any video games. It's pretty uncomfortable to try and convince them otherwise, but since some of you accomplished this, how did you guys get them to override?

I WAS SO CLOSE!!!!!!!!

Here's how it went down. I went into my local BB and tried to pick up an 80gb PS3, along with Uncharted and Assassin's Creed. At the register, the cashier asked if I was an RZ member. I presented my card and also the coupon. She was hesitant to accept it, and called a supervisor over. At that time, I told them that "a manager from Monday said it would go through if I could provide some proof that a PS3 was considered a toy." I pulled out my PSP, and showed them both the BB website's search result page for the word "toy" in the Games & Toys section (refer to page 1 of this thread). After seeing that, the supervisor caved in and manually overrode. However, the override was for 10% only! I tried to convince her that the two games were also toys, which would mean that she'd have to change that 10% to 25%, but she wouldn't budge and also threatened to call security. That's when I backed down (don't tase me bro!) and left. I was a little pissed off, but my anger was mitigated by the fact that I now know that backing up this coupon with some proof works to some degree.

I'll try again at another BB and hope for a more agreeable supervisor.

That's pretty crazy, to call security?

[quote name='zephie'] I tried to convince her that the two games were also toys, which would mean that she'd have to change that 10% to 25%, but she wouldn't budge and also threatened to call security. That's when I backed down (don't tase me bro!) and left.[/quote]

Orlando CAG's, I'm up in Jax right now with the folks, but according to SD people I've read, it's been hit or miss in Central Florida. Most recent reports indicate the Winter Garden location is a "go." Maybe you'll see the Cowardly Lion girl from American Idol, since she relocated there from Waterford.
------------------------
Got to the Best Buy in Orange Park, FL, around 9pm, gathered my things (PS3 80gb, Wii Classic Controller, Ratchet & Clank Future) and waited until the Customer Service line was short, then hopped in. (80gb PS3's were hidden away in a PS3 demo fort in home theater away from the rest of the video game stuff, and there were less than 4 that I could find.)

I got a young 20-something girl, and I didn't even have to do any innocent lying. She rang up the items before the coupon, I agreed to an $80 service plan as a sort of compromise so they'd think they'd make up the profit that way, and she stared at the screen when it didn't do anything automatically. I thought I might have to step in, but I played dumb and just peered around. She eventually started humming to herself and after futile attempts at calculating the discount in her head, she grabbed a calculator.

She wound up entering it as a manufacturers coupon manually adjusted to $144 (yeah, yeah, a dollar off), and all the items show their regular prices, no adjustments. I'll be returning the service plan, of course.

Here's my tips, and some that I gathered when reading over the SD guys' shenanigans:

1. Offer upfront to get the service plan. It's pure profit for them, so at least it doesn't come off like they're completely losing money on this transaction. You can return it, anyway.

2. Speaking of profit, pad your purchase with accessories instead of games. It helps their attachment rate as well as profit. From what I've read, many places will go ahead and give you the 25% off on games with entirely less fuss at regular cashiers (though your mileage will still vary).

3. Make your purchase at Customer Service instead of the regular cashiers, since they have at least some level of override power, though they might still need to get a supervisor or manager depending on the amount.

4. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A REWARD ZONE MEMBERSHIP. This is an RZ coupon, so at least you can say you got it in an RZ email, instead of vaguely mumbling something about teh intarwebs. It's free to join, and you can sign up online at http://www.myrewardzone.com, where you can print out a temporary card. You don't even have to have the card on you since they can look it up at time of checkout using your phone number.

5. Make a print out of what results when you type in "toy" (no S) on their website. You'll have to click on the thing that says "see all 2### items" to get to the good stuff. This might be able to help your case that a games and systems should qualify.

6. Don't be retarded. This is NOT supposed to work. You definitely are "pulling a fast one." Toys are a legitimate, specific category of items Best Buy sells, and they include things like iDogs, board games, and those Tiger Electronics-type games. Though the website says Games AND Toys, that conjunction means they are two seperate categories. Games are NOT under an umbrella Toy category. Some jackasses on SD ask to be pointed to a Toy department of the store; just because there aren't enough products for a specific area does not mean that that category of product is not being offered for sale Also, stores make NO profit on consoles, or iPods/Zunes for that matter. This is why they are always excluded on coupons. Why aren't they excluded on this coupon? Because this coupon is specifically for Toys, which DOES NOT INCLUDE video games or consoles..

7. Some people have had success in going above the manager when speaking with 1-800-BEST-BUY. Some have not. Make no mistake, a retail store is not public property, and they hold the right to refuse sales for any reason. That in mind, if you don't get satisfaction in the store, you can make your case to corporate at the aforementioned number. Many times, though, the phone rep may take your side but still say that it is still ultimately up to store management.

thanks for the post, dafunkk12. it was one of the few level-headed and rational posts i've seen in this thread.

on another note, i am completely baffled as to how some CAGers feel that, as customers, they somehow have the right to their exploitation of the system (per the guy who posted webster's definition of "toy" in order to justify video games being toys). yet, whenever somebody flips a wii on ebay, or goes to kmart and hordes 5 dollar games, all hell breaks loose.

[quote name='blaked569']thanks for the post, dafunkk12. it was one of the few level-headed and rational posts i've seen in this thread.

on another note, i am completely baffled as to how some CAGers feel that, as customers, they somehow have the right to their exploitation of the system (per the guy who posted webster's definition of "toy" in order to justify video games being toys). yet, whenever somebody flips a wii on ebay, or goes to kmart and hordes 5 dollar games, all hell breaks loose.
[/quote]

It's probably because in the first case, we're sticking it to somebody else (that jerk, whoever he is); and in the second case, somebody else (that jerk, whoever he is) is sticking it to us.

It was a no go in Reno, NV store for me I talked to the guy in the game dept and showed him the coupon. He went and asked the supervisor. He came back and told me it should be "all good just say chris from media said it was a go." So I headed up to the register with an Elite, rockband se and the wireless internet thingy. Got to the front and the guy scanned everything and then the coupon. No go wouldn't scan so he headed over to get the manager. She came over and looked at the coupon and the print out of "toy" list strait from the website. then walked over and talked to another manager. She came back and said these weren't toys but she would give me 10% off the elite and walked away. So I told the guy that was ringing me up no thanks and me and my wife left. I have 2 more stores to try so maybe I'll get lucky tomorrow

[quote name='royalbliss1']It was a no go in Reno, NV store for me I talked to the guy in the game dept and showed him the coupon. He went and asked the supervisor. He came back and told me it should be "all good just say chris from media said it was a go." So I headed up to the register with an Elite, rockband se and the wireless internet thingy. Got to the front and the guy scanned everything and then the coupon. No go wouldn't scan so he headed over to get the manager. She came over and looked at the coupon and the print out of "toy" list strait from the website. then walked over and talked to another manager. She came back and said these weren't toys but she would give me 10% off the elite and walked away. So I told the guy that was ringing me up no thanks and me and my wife left. I have 2 more stores to try so maybe I'll get lucky tomorrow[/quote]
Before you get that wireless internet adapter, hit up google or yahoo for some alternatives. I was about to plunk down $100 for a wireless adapter myself, but I just recently found out I can get on Xbox Live via my MacBook Pro's AirPort.

I have two more stores to try as well. Good luck to us both.

I asked some floor people if they thought it would work. Three of them said they didnt see why not and to ask customer service. I asked them and they said it should but it was possible that it may not. I took an elite, controller and a game up to the register. It didnt scan but she looked at it and was baffled why it would. She then said she would put 10% off the elite, 10% off the controller and 5% off the game to make 25%... Not exactly what the coupon says. But maybe its enough for you? 10% off elite brings it to around $404.

Would taking it to customer service work?

I asked the people there and they said it should work, since it doesn't exclude video games. But at the cash register the person called the manager or supervisor on duty, and said it didn't include video games, only stuff like the Pirates of the Carribbean deals.

[quote name='HentaiBaka']Would taking it to customer service work?

I asked the people there and they said it should work, since it doesn't exclude video games. But at the cash register the person called the manager or supervisor on duty, and said it didn't include video games, only stuff like the Pirates of the Carribbean deals.[/quote]
It may work that way, I've read about someone on SD getting it to work by paying for their stuff at customer service as opposed to the front registers. Find the person that said it should work and try to have that same person ring you up.

I tried this today at two Austin, TX stores :

The first store I went to was at Bee Caves and the cashier's eyes bugged out of his head when he saw the coupon and went off to get someone else. I had to deal with someone who wasn't a CSR, but was above them all (he made sure to let me know that, smugly if I may add). His lines were that the "PS3 is classified as a video game system, not a toy", "Best Buy would never send out coupons for video game systems", "It was an error on the part of the South Carolina store, and we will not honor it." Seeing as the guy wasn't budging at all, and seeing the reaction of the initial clerk I gave it up without much of a fight.

Second store was the one on South Mopac near Spec's and Sam's Club. I was fed the exact same lines by another head manager. Seems to me that word has gotten out and the deal is close to dead. Congrats on everyone who got in on this deal!

I was just about to post a head's up, but MIGGO beat me to it.

Apparently BB had a meeting about this coupon just yesterday. If you check out the last few pages of the SD forum on this coupon, you'll see that the success rate has plummeted. If anyone is thinking of giving this coupon a shot, NOW IS THE TIME! Hurry before word spreads.

[quote name='zephie']I was just about to post a head's up, but MIGGO beat me to it.

Apparently BB had a meeting about this coupon just yesterday. If you check out the last few pages of the SD forum on this coupon, you'll see that the success rate has plummeted. If anyone is thinking of giving this coupon a shot, NOW IS THE TIME! Hurry before word spreads.[/QUOTE]

I decided not to try after I saw what they've included in the first post at SD . . . what a bunch of assholes!

One of them negotiated with a manager and got BB to throw in 2 free games instead of the 25% off . . . so the yahoo paid full price for the PS3 but the promptly returned it to another store. Then he brags about the free games . . . and they admire this so much that its in the OP!

Damn, I shouldn't have hesitated. I really want to get an Elite and 25% off would be great. I might still try it if I decide to get one soon.

Gah, I might have one shot at this in one BB store, since they're kinda secluded and seem to run things their own way.

25% off an elite would be awesome.

Well at least the slickdeal and fatwallet threads show that you should never listen to a bestbuy employee about a success rate of any BB deal since they dont know wtf theyre talking about Lol

This worked for me today at a Best Buy in Riverdale, UT. I just asked one of the guys in the game dept if it the coupon would work and he said it should.

I then took my three games to the checkout and told them he said it would and they said ok and did it. Pretty easy, got Silent Hill Origins (PSP), Thrillville: Off the rails (PSP) and Lego Star Wars (PS3) for 25% off.

bread's done
Back