SNES Classic Discussion Thread

Chrontrigger probably not there because it's currently profitable. Big price to get a license.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah my biggest picks to add would be:

-Secret of Evermore

-E.V.O. Search for Eden

-Zombies Ate my Neighbors

-Chrono Trigger / FF2

Nintendo did a great job on the lineup though regardless. It would be damn near complete with a few minor additions. 

Obviously more games would be preferable, but a significant number of NES Classic games were pretty lousy. Balloon Fight? Dr. Mario? Ice Climber? Castlevania II?

Pretty much every title on the SNES is a slam dunk.
Could have had 9 more Slam Dunks for the same price.

DKC 2, 3

Dracula X

Pilotwings

Chrono Trigger

Actraiser

Mega Man X2, X3

Final Fantasy II

TMNT

Star Wars Games (maybe not)

Killer Instinct

R-Type III

Gradius III

Super Bomberman

Harvest Moon

Demons Crest

Breath of Fire I, II

Tetris Attack

As bearranza said, Illusion of Gaia would have been cool too. I think I still have the shirt that came with that somewhere...and of course E.V.O.

Could have had 9 more Slam Dunks for the same price.

DKC 2, 3
Dracula X
Pilotwings
Chrono Trigger
Actraiser
Mega Man X2, X3
Final Fantasy II
TMNT
Star Wars Games (maybe not)
Killer Instinct
R-Type III
Gradius III
Super Bomberman
Harvest Moon
Demons Crest
Breath of Fire I, II
Tetris Attack
They need a part 2 snes classic in a few years with all of these games because that is an impressive launch list right there

Agreed, but if you think about it, SE probably has plans for Chrono Trigger or the universe in the future. FFVI has been bled dry for the most part, same with Mana. They are easy to give up.

Looks like we might get another Chrono game or remake in the next few years.
I wish but they are done with the Chrono franchise. SE has gone on the record saying that the poor sales of CT on the DS showed them there was not enough interest to revive Chrono Break. Based on the junk that's been spewing out from them in the last few years that's probably a blessing. It's their only franchise they haven't F'd up (Not a KH fan so idk if that's had issues). I'd hate for them to release a colossal turd and call it Chrono anything. Let the legacy remain pure imo and that's really hard to swallow coming from a guy who literally took part of his screen name from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man, EVO was such a weird but amazing game. I played through that probably 15 times.

Maybe it's just related to my age but I just can't place any console above the SNES because there were so many great games.

I wish but they are done with the Chrono franchise. SE has gone on the record saying that the poor sales of CT on the DS showed them there was not enough interest to revive Chrono Break. Based on the junk that's been spewing out from them in the last few years that's probably a blessing. It's their only franchise they haven't F'd up (Not a KH fan so idk if that's had issues). I'd hate for them to release a colossal turd and call it Chrono anything. Let the legacy remain pure imo and that's really hard to swallow coming from a guy who literally took part of his screen name from it.
Chrono Cross already exists so half of the Chrono games are bad as it is

Chrono Cross already exists so half of the Chrono games are bad as it is
Cross and was amazing. Also there is a third game out there. Google Radical Dreamers.
Your argument is invalid. But of course I might be just a little biased.

This may cause some heart attacks, but the short production, only 21 games...... Yet the huge library of SNES games

What if Nintendo is planning two runs, this and a 2.0 with a different list of games. Easy money for them

This may cause some heart attacks, but the short production, only 21 games...... Yet the huge library of SNES games

What if Nintendo is planning two runs, this and a 2.0 with a different list of games. Easy money for them
If they wanted to print money, why would they have a short production run of this and the classic NES?

Cross and was amazing. Also there is a third game out there. Google Radical Dreamers.
Your argument is invalid. But of course I might be just a little biased.

Cross is one of the most boring games I have ever played, and was an immense disappointment after Trigger. They decided to chase the dull-as-dirt FF7 style, and the game suffered as a result.

Also great, a short visual novel only released for the Satellaview. I don't think that really counts, man.

Sent from my keyboard using my fingers

Agreed, but if you think about it, SE probably has plans for Chrono Trigger or the universe in the future. FFVI has been bled dry for the most part, same with Mana. They are easy to give up.

Looks like we might get another Chrono game or remake in the next few years.
I may be out of the loop but where did SE indicate they have more plans for CT?

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of it, but it was seminal, and probably has a place on it. I wish they had bumped the cost up to $99 and included a few more games:

Chrono Trigger

Secret of Evermore

Illusion of Gaia

Turtles in Time

...I don't know, maybe DKC2 or Soul Blazer as well? There are just too many good games to choose from.
I'd actually be fine with the system costing more and having some of these titles. The fact that they don't have very big popular draw is part of why Nintendo couldn't justify the price is my guess (not that it would have been much easier to get then either)

Chrontrigger probably not there because it's currently profitable. Big price to get a license.
Currently profitable? Beyond the DS re-make/master, they haven't done much with it other than put it on the Wii VC and the PSN store in the form of the awful version with absurd load times.

If they wanted to print money, why would they have a short production run of this and the classic NES?
Are you suggesting Nintendo would do something rationally? It would make sense in the way they did things if they did a second run with B game list no body wanted. Think of the Wii and Wii U. They thought that made perfect sense. And chat on the Switch using mobile phones. It's like the opposite of Occam's Razor. The most convoluted or ridiculous way of doing things is the Nintendo way. 3 foot corded controllers, after all.

Or they are mad geniuses. The short runs and hype drives up the Nintendo name in the spotlight, for what they really want to sell, the Switch. They could only keep a cash line from classics for so long before people got bored. They need new games and consoles to re sell to us in the future. :Lol:

I don't understand why you all more upset with the fact there is 21 vs 30 games. They could easily added 9 more games and kept the bonus Star Fox 2.
I am definitely annoyed about this but at the end of the day...I still want it because I don't own any of these games anymore (except for super Mario world) or the console. So..nintendo's got me, since I don't have the money to buy these carts just yet.
Since we're talking about games we wished were on here again, my picks would be:
Out of this World
Turtles in Time
Chrono Trigger
Harvest Moon
Ogre Battle
DKC 2
Earthworm Jim
Killer Instinct
Battletoads Double Dragon

Are you suggesting Nintendo would do something rationally? It would make sense in the way they did things if they did a second run with B game list no body wanted. Think of the Wii and Wii U. They thought that made perfect sense. And chat on the Switch using mobile phones. It's like the opposite of Occam's Razor. The most convoluted or ridiculous way of doing things is the Nintendo way. 3 foot corded controllers, after all.
Fair points, I think Nintendo is making more of an effort to listen to and appease fans (Prime 4 & a "larger" SNES production run) but you're right, they've made weird stupid decisions before so it's certainly possible.

If they were planning a second run they wouldn't have put most of their top hits on the first console. The only thing that's really missing is Pilotwings, but who thinks that's a good enough headliner for a second console?

This is definitely one and done.

seems like they stopped making the nes classic to start making this was the reason for the nes's short production run, so i would think they've already got manufacturing plans for something else next year.

Cross is one of the most boring games I have ever played, and was an immense disappointment after Trigger. They decided to chase the dull-as-dirt FF7 style, and the game suffered as a result.

Also great, a short visual novel only released for the Satellaview. I don't think that really counts, man.

Sent from my keyboard using my fingers
Still counts to me. A release is a release just because it wasn't released here doesn't make it not exist. But then I've been importing games for a long time.

As far as dull as dirt, did you get to the fun plot twist? Collect all the characters? Ever fight the secret Sphinx for some neato sunglasses? See more than one or two endings? At least one if I can recall correctly, directly tied it to Trigger which was awesome. Cross is a very under appreciated game. Just a quick sidebar, I have a huge pet peeve when people say something is underrated when they mean under appreciated. A 94 meta critic is not underrated. That's probably about right for its day.

seems like they stopped making the nes classic to start making this was the reason for the nes's short production run, so i would think they've already got manufacturing plans for something else next year.
They could easily put another system out with chrono trigger, tmnt, terranigma,souk blazer and illusion of Gaia, dkc 2 and 3, casrlevania x, act raiser, alladin, super smash tv, battle toads double dragon, Star Wars trilogy, and it would sell just as well.

And then do a m64 afterwards with paper Mario, oot, majoras mask, etc the year after

Btw goldeneye does not hold up at all if you play it now

Still counts to me. A release is a release just because it wasn't released here doesn't make it not exist. But then I've been importing games for a long time.

As far as dull as dirt, did you get to the fun plot twist? Collect all the characters? Ever fight the secret Sphinx for some neato sunglasses? See more than one or two endings? At least one if I can recall correctly, directly tied it to Trigger which was awesome. Cross is a very under appreciated game. Just a quick sidebar, I have a huge pet peeve when people say something is underrated when they mean under appreciated. A 94 meta critic is not underrated. That's probably about right for its day.

I loved CC- one of my fave games and easily my fav PS1 RPG. Even with that said, that story was very difficult to follow for most of the game. It felt like they had a story in mind but kept adding little bits/pieces to it.

CC was definitely not dull as dirt.

As far as dull as dirt, did you get to the fun plot twist? Collect all the characters? Ever fight the secret Sphinx for some neato sunglasses? See more than one or two endings?
Yeah I 100%d the game I thought was garbage

I hated the Materia knockoff crap, the character designs were awful and had none of the charm that the Toriyama designs from Trigger had, and it was just another in that line of PS1 FMV-heavy multi-disc JRPGs that I have very little patience for.

They took Chrono Trigger and made a sequel that's the most derivative, creatively bankrupt thing possible. I guess if you also like FF7, FF10, and stuff like that, I understand it, but that kind of game is probably my absolute least favorite.

I really think that advent of FMV, where they could rely on spectacle over an actual compelling plot or characters, ruined Square and they've never come back from it.

I loved CC- one of my fave games and easily my fav PS1 RPG. Even with that said, that story was very difficult to follow for most of the game. It felt like they had a story in mind but kept adding little bits/pieces to it.

CC was definitely not dull as dirt.
I enjoyed Chrono Cross a lot. The story was a bit of a mess but the art direction and battle mechanics were great. I don't think I actually understood the story until NG+. The true ending's closing theme was also really well done.

So there were over 1000 NES games released, and 600+ SNES games. Anyone have any idea how much total memory would be needed for each of these, and how much total memory is on the NESC and SNESC? I would love to load all of the games released for each system on its respective mini, but I'm not sure if there's enough memory. (Can more memory be added? I know some is used for save states also, so that would also be an issue I'd have to consider...)

I have a $1.27 transaction pending from Amazon.uk I am hoping this is good news in some way. I went in and changed my delivery method to Amazon Global, a little more expensive but well worth it if they actually ship to me.

Still waiting on the US preorders. I missed out with the NES Classic, the only way I was able to get one was my sister worked Walmart and took her break when she saw they had a shipment and bought it for me.
Whats the difference between Standard delivery and Amazon Global Standard? All I can tell is that the Amazon global could be a day less.

Ma

Oh, sorry for being unclear. 33/66% was my rough "no calculator estimate".

613627066988129cfe8e0ad57bd5e0c0f9d3b71a_original.jpg

Let's look at this chart. I was referencing both the subtracted distance (blue 75% in example) of the cost of the Switch and the added distance (purple 25%). The total cost of the Switch is 100%, the cost of the SNES classic to the Switch is calculated out to 26.6%. Then to figure out how much the price has been reduced from the compared Switch to the cost of the SNES C... you take the 100% and subtract 26.6% and get the remaining percent result of 73.4%.

So in conclusion, the SNES Classic is 26.6% the cost of a Nintendo Switch.

(or written another way; the SNES is like a 73.4% cheaper product then the Nintendo Switch)

The confusion came when I did not fully state why I was quoting both sides of the percentage. (and that I was rounding the value to 33% (1/3), instead of 25%(1/4))

Now that I have explained all of that to you, you must join the cause. PDJ I dub thee assistant #9 "Tinyhelm", It is the will of Steins Gate!!
If Nintendo were to sell this for $150 or even $180, I'm sure it will still sell out. Makes no sense to retail it for $70. They're just leaving money on the table for scalpers to mark it up. I don't really understand their business model but oh well, hoping to score a few and resell to cover the cost of keeping one for myself... Big if though......

Completely agree. Chrono Cross was amazing. Gameplay, graphics, everything. Loved it.

They could easily put another system out with chrono trigger, tmnt, terranigma,souk blazer and illusion of Gaia, dkc 2 and 3, casrlevania x, act raiser, alladin, super smash tv, battle toads double dragon, Star Wars trilogy, and it would sell just as well.

And then do a m64 afterwards with paper Mario, oot, majoras mask, etc the year after

Btw goldeneye does not hold up at all if you play it now
No way in hell Nintendo releases a N64 mini. Gamecube mini maybe, but doubtful. Don't get me wrong, the N64 had some great games, but none of them have aged well, which is why they remastered a few of them for 3DS. You're right about Goldeneye, but a lot of people would want that on the N64 mini, but Nintendo doesn't even own the rights to that, Banjo-Kazooie or Conker's Bad Fur Day. Also, the cost of making the controllers again would mean it'd cost more than the NES and SNES mini and would probably have less games on it as well. Not gonna happen.

The lack of TMNT: Turtles in Time, TMNT: Tournament Fighters, Mortal Kombat II, World Heroes, Fatal Fury, NBA Jam: Tournament Edition, and (the rare) Super Mario All-Stars + World, is really disheartening :/. Also titles like Monopoly, Aladdin, Earthworm Jim, WWF Raw, WWF Royal Rumble, WWF Wrestlemania, Rushing Beat, Super R-Type, etc. I mean, I get the struggles with licensing issues, but I wish they had tried to work with license holders to include these, and just jack up the price. Even if it meant 2-3 times the price. It would have been worth it.
Damn, I forgot about a few of these. Mortal Kombat II, NBA Jam: TE, and Earthworm Jim would be dope. So would Smash TV.

The Best Buy page now has a current time on it for store pickup, are the rest of you seeing that too? So they keep updating the page in bits and pieces.

No way in hell Nintendo releases a N64 mini. Gamecube mini maybe, but doubtful. Don't get me wrong, the N64 had some great games, but none of them have aged well, which is why they remastered a few of them for 3DS. You're right about Goldeneye, but a lot of people would want that on the N64 mini, but Nintendo doesn't even own the rights to that, Banjo-Kazooie or Conker's Bad Fur Day. Also, the cost of making the controllers again would mean it'd cost more than the NES and SNES mini and would probably have less games on it as well. Not gonna happen.
Nintendo is not doing this to make money. If they wanted to do these classic system relaunches the nes classic would still be on shelves at Best Buy and target with a 120 dollar price tag

They seem to be more about regaining their lost customer base from another generation to generate interest in their company, i.e. A publicity stunt

Nintendo is not doing this to make money. If they wanted to do these classic system relaunches the nes classic would still be on shelves at Best Buy and target with a 120 dollar price tag

They seem to be more about regaining their lost customer base from another generation to generate interest in their company, i.e. A publicity stunt
You failed to address my bigger points: the N64 games look like garbage and there aren't enough games to even put on it to make it worthwhile to buy due to licensing issues.

With all the talk about what games should have been on the SNES classic, everyone knows you just need to mod it and add the games you want. As with the NES CLASSIC, there are tutorials on how and where to get the roms. It's not hard at all.

You failed to address my bigger points: the N64 games look like garbage and there aren't enough games to even put on it to make it worthwhile to buy due to licensing issues.
I'm sure they could come up with a dozen games that still look and play ok. Remember that they've already set the precedent for lowering the number of games for the next system, so 10-12 should be enough: Super Mario 64, Paper Mario, Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2, Pokemon Snap, Micro Machines....just filled half the machine.

I'm sure they could come up with a dozen games that still look and play ok. Remember that they've already set the precedent for lowering the number of games for the next system, so 10-12 should be enough: Super Mario 64, Paper Mario, Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2, Pokemon Snap, Micro Machines....just filled half the machine.
I think I could come up with at least 15 games that I would still love to play on the N64. Yeah, graphics aren't great. But I'm surprisingly not bothered by them at all.

I would disagree: oot and majoras mask held up well. Paper Mario, Mario kart 64, harvest moon, Mario golf 64, ogre battle 64, super smash brothers, shadow Gate 64, Mario 64, excite bike and there is your lineup

I guess no banjo kazooie or banjo tooie but oh well. Games like perfect dark and goldeneye look and play terrible if you try them now, the others ehhh

The castlevania games for n64 were my least favorite castlevania games

bread's done
Back