SNES Classic Discussion Thread

One of my local walmarts got 6 in last week and 24 in this week. But another Walmart that is closer to me hasn't restocked nearly as much.

Oh and that Target Redcard online ordering was crap. Wouldn't add to cart forever and then when it did, I got to the last page before submitting the order and it took it out of my cart. In stores is definitely the way to get this system as of now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was in a BB for in-store pickup. Saw there was a line, did some window shopping. Came back and saw an SNES behind the counter. Asked if I could buy it. "Oh, that was just returned and the guy at the other register just bought it". Missed it by a couple minutes.

Don't even need it but somehow Nintendo has convinced me to buy every copy of hard to find items whenever possible because my friends can't bother themselves to hunt for what they want.

FINALLY got one at a local Target thanks to a tip from a friend who happened to be there at the right time. Since it came out I've been looking everywhere locally with no luck. I'm so glad that ordeal is over. :) Can't wait to play this all weekend.

I just ordered one from AWD for $59.16. It was listed as Very Good and the description is "Small cosmetic damage on item case. Item may come repackaged." I'm really surprised an in demand item was being sold for so much under MSRP even if it might be used and not a dinger since I thought AWD pricing usually goes by what others are selling the item for on Amazon.

The only stock I’ve seen lately is Amazon France, lol
I would think the smart thing for Nintendo to do is hold inventory until after Xmas ... The fact is the goal for them right now is to sell switch units NOT these low margin classic machines.

I would think the smart thing for Nintendo to do is hold inventory until after Xmas ... The fact is the goal for them right now is to sell switch units NOT these low margin classic machines.
Maybe, but the SNES Classic was intentionally released now as a holiday item to consumers. If they really didn’t mean to do that, they would have held off it’s launch date until January. Stock around me has dried up for the past three weeks.

Maybe, but the SNES Classic was intentionally released now as a holiday item to consumers. If they really didn’t mean to do that, they would have held off it’s launch date until January. Stock around me has dried up for the past three weeks.
I think you just confirmed what I said.

I think Nintendo learned their lesson from the disastrous handling of the NES Classic Edition situation. They got a ton of bad press and angered a lot of people by failing to provide enough units and encouraging scalpers. The SNES Classic Edition has been much, much easier to find, I already have two of them, one from Target and one from GS. In fact I could drive over to my nearest Target today, and get another one if I wanted to.

Istocknow has been a great way to locate these when they hit stores; Target today shows 761 stores in stock including several around me in Northern VA. They only show 283 GS stores now (none around me), but I've seen it hit 1500+ for both of those retailers, which happens when a big restock hits. When those numbers jump up to 1000-1500+ stores in stock per retailer, they are typically easy to find. Oddly Walmart isn't even listed on istocknow today, so they appear to have no units (unless they are masking quantities from this website).

Retailers have learned a good lesson too; many have made it much harder to track units through their own websites, discouraging scalpers, and keeping units off the floor. The second one I got, I just went to my local Target (which showed in stock according to istocknow), and asked for a unit at the electronics register. The guy went to a back room and brought one out, they're not putting these on shelves (another good idea that helps prevent scalping). I do think that anyone who really wants a few of these should easily be able to get them.

How much do you wanna bet they include something new in an updated version of the NES classic that is getting distributed in 2018?  so they can sell it for $79.99.

How much do you wanna bet they include something new in an updated version of the NES classic that is getting distributed in 2018? so they can sell it for $79.99.
They would be foolish not to do that. Adding a few new games or changing the list of included games would encourage anyone who bought the original NES Classic to buy it again, more profit for Nintendo.

If anything, I'd definitely expect a second controller packed in this time.  That would likely bump the price up a little.

Best Buy will be getting SNES Classics over the next week to hold for Saturday 11/25. Probably going to be a Doorbuster.

I got my AWD order today. The good thing is that it is a dinger and appears to never have been used. The bad thing is that even though it has an ESRB rating on the box, it's not the version sold in the US since it doesn't have an AC adapter or poster and there is a sticker on the bottom that states it is distributed by Active Boeki KK (the sticker states no AC adapter so it wasn't removed from the box).

I got my AWD order today. The good thing is that it is a dinger and appears to never have been used. The bad thing is that even though it has an ESRB rating on the box, it's not the version sold in the US since it doesn't have an AC adapter or poster and there is a sticker on the bottom that states it is distributed by Active Boeki KK (the sticker states no AC adapter so it wasn't removed from the box).
That sounds like ones that Amazon had been sending to some customers that preordered. It wouldn't surprise me if more showed up at AWD like that since I'm sure some who preordered it and were sent that incomplete version likely sent it back for a refund.

I'm trying to order another EU Snes Classic but can't seem to find it in stock on amazon fr or es.  I have my alerts set through instocknow but I'll get the alert and check but it's a false alarm each time.

If anyone is considering getting a case to store the SNES Classic and its accessories, I have a great one to suggest. I was researching cases for the system, and all the ones custom made for the SNES Classic looked really cheap and not well designed for any extras (very tight fitting with no extra space). I read a comment from someone that they just used the RDS Industries Game Traveler case for the Wii.

So I bought one from Amazon for $11, and it's fantastic. Easily holds the system, both controllers, all cables and AC adapter that come with it, two controller extension cables, and more. Very well made little case, and half the price of the others. Here's a link to the case on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/Nintendo-Deluxe-Game-Traveler-Case/dp/B007WL6IIS/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1510878151&sr=8-11&keywords=game+traveler+case

I'm even considering getting another case for other stuff, it's very well made, and much cheaper than other portable gaming related cases.

Yeah, those are all compatible but you might have to do a firmware update to the dongle at worst. It can be a bit of a pain to update but with enough googling it can be done easy enough.

pdp case from amazon arrived this weekend. This is a nice case. I have RDS cases for my NES Classics and Switches but have not seen a RDS case for the SNES Classic.[attachment=28740:916063AF-EF1E-47C0-B1B5-F2BC77BA1A90.jpeg][attachment=28741:3550A8EF-522A-40C0-BD13-8AFD07406DCB.jpeg][attachment=28742:E5022B07-08C5-4459-86DF-48F59F81EA4F.jpeg][attachment=28743:285DA407-5E4F-4F1B-8861-09383CDAAD73.jpeg][attachment=28744:38F9B99F-CA51-4DC2-87C1-D2EC157044C8.jpeg]

pdp case from amazon arrived this weekend. This is a nice case. I have RDS cases for my NES Classics and Switches but have not seen a RDS case for the SNES Classic.
That's a pretty expensive case at $30. You should have just gotten the RDS Industries Deluxe Game Traveler case for the Wii, only $11 from Amazon and everything from the SNES Classic Edition fits very well, with extra space for extension cables and other stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007WL6IIS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511363169&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Wii+case&dpPl=1&dpID=51LcYBryXpL&ref=plSrch

The SNES Classic is a collectible so willing to spend more on a case. I prefer my cases to be properly branded. Picked this up yesterday from Walmart. The backpack is large enough to fit the system, cords and controllers.

That's a pretty expensive case at $30. You should have just gotten the RDS Industries Deluxe Game Traveler case for the Wii, only $11 from Amazon and everything from the SNES Classic Edition fits very well, with extra space for extension cables and other stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007WL6IIS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511363169&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Wii+case&dpPl=1&dpID=51LcYBryXpL&ref=plSrch
[attachment=28756:895CB11E-E99F-45FE-ABFF-C580E644E14A.jpeg][attachment=28757:5614FF8A-697D-4D2C-861D-7A7D2C710656.jpeg]

If anyone is looking for an SNES classic from Gamestop in the Greater Los Angeles Area (the Valley) I saw 3 behind the counter at the Tarzana location.

I'm honestly surprised more of you guys aren't using istocknow to track these down. It's shown me quite a few locations near me with them in stock. I managed to get one for myself and two more for Christmas gifts for my sister and niece with it. I've already modded mine with retroarch and have 150 games from 4 platforms in it ready to play.

I finally picked up a second for my friend that was looking for one. Stopped by the Nintendo store in NYC on saturday and they had tons of them.

I'm honestly surprised more of you guys aren't using istocknow to track these down. It's shown me quite a few locations near me with them in stock. I managed to get one for myself and two more for Christmas gifts for my sister and niece with it. I've already modded mine with retroarch and have 150 games from 4 platforms in it ready to play.
It's because most of us moved on from the hype.

That's an awfully strange bundle. Seems like either all of those items are over-stocked or they think people are so desperate to find a SNES-C that they'll buy a goofy bundle.

Amazon is producing one of their "AmazonBasics" cases for the SNES Classic Edition, available 1/30/18 for $14.99:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B073ZF737B/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

Kind of late to the party, and the RDS Industries case will probably be a better option IMO. I already got an RDS Wii Game Traveler case for mine and it works great:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007WL6IIS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512053360&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Wii+game+traveler&dpPl=1&dpID=51LcYBryXpL&ref=plSrch

Is nintendo going to keep producing the super nintedo CE or will it be limited?
If they are smart, they will come out with a version 2.0 with chrono trigger, the star wars games, battletoads double dragon, super smash tv, spike mcfang, and whatever else I'm missing. Legend of mystical ninja, castlevania x.

YMMV

In NYC the SNES Classic is available.
Looks available in the DC area too. I already got mine, one as a gift and two for myself in case I want to mod one of them, so I'm good. Nintendo definitely produced way more of these than the NES Classic, much better supply to cover the demand.

bread's done
Back