SNES Classic Discussion Thread

Just let us order the Super Nintendo Chalmers Classic Edition already!
xkIVX.jpg

Maybe a dumb question but does anyone know preorder policy on buying multiples for bestbuy? Wold like to get one for a family member too.
pretty sure they dont care typically..i usually order 3 from them.

my advice isn't 100% and you should probably ignore it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe a dumb question but does anyone know preorder policy on buying multiples for bestbuy? Wold like to get one for a family member too.
Don't risk it, seriously. That's why pre-orders pop back up a few times before going away completely, as they cancel out duplicate orders. There is always a chance they cancel ALL of your orders. Even using a different account won't work with similar addresses or credit cards, they will figure it out. This comes up with Amiibo all the time.

If a family member wants one, let them know when it goes live and they can order it. Don't try to be the SNES Classic Fairy, you will regret it.

Don't risk it, seriously. That's why pre-orders pop back up a few times before going away completely, as they cancel out duplicate orders. There is always a chance they cancel ALL of your orders. Even using a different account won't work with similar addresses or credit cards, they will figure it out. This comes up with Amiibo all the time.

If a family member wants one, let them know when it goes live and they can order it. Don't try to be the SNES Classic Fairy, you will regret it.
As with most things, YMMV. What defpally advises is certainly recommended and the safest option to ensure there aren't issues with cancellation. However, BestBuy's in-house cross-checking process is far from foolproof.

Pretty much. There's a decent chance you could order multiple. But If they cancel both you're be twice as SOL

The system is obviously not aimed at you... Sure, just about any device can play nes and snes games. These systems are designed to give you the feeling of being 15 again, playing with friends... if you rather just build a rom box or play on your phone, go for it.
You obviously aren't reading what I wrote. I'm saying why bother with the EU version? It looks like any other generic retro gaming box. The NA version (to me) is the one to get. It has the nostalgic looks, instantly recognizable to anyone born in the 90s or earlier. Meanwhile the euro version of it looks pretty much like any cheap, Chinese, Canal St. NYC gaming box.

i really didnt care for the NES classic, but this.....yeah i want this. i made sure im on the email list for bestbuy and amazon, i really hope i can get one.

i really didnt care for the NES classic, but this.....yeah i want this. i made sure im on the email list for bestbuy and amazon, i really hope i can get one.
Same here. I really didn't like the NES controller because of the rectangular (even the famicon controller is better because it is a bit round on the edges) and I can always use a different controller.

SNES controller was perfect. Light and comfortable.

Also i played nes so much already since
it was easy to play nes at work...not so much for snes

...It's a trap?
For the NES Classic, I got about 8 of them for coworkers from Best Buy. The few times I'd catch them live, I'd place two or three separate orders quickly. Never had a problem or a cancellation.

I'm a Best Buy Elite Plus member using a Best Buy credit card for 6% back in rewards, but dunno if that matters.

Its funny how pre-orders for the UK and even German version of the SNES mini went live earlier. I was able to grab the German version through Amazon. Makes me wonder why the USA version is still not available. A friend of mine said its probably because of Trumps Wall and flight restrictions. I chuckled. 

You obviously aren't reading what I wrote. I'm saying why bother with the EU version? It looks like any other generic retro gaming box. The NA version (to me) is the one to get. It has the nostalgic looks, instantly recognizable to anyone born in the 90s or earlier. Meanwhile the euro version of it looks pretty much like any cheap, Chinese, Canal St. NYC gaming box.
You answered your own question by stating that to you, the NA version is the one to get. That is your opinion as it is other's opinions to like the PAL/JP more regardless of what you think. Also, those that grew up on the PAL/JP version might think the US version looks like garbage.

To some, the nostalgic part is actually playing the games. They might not necessarily care what box they are played on.

As you know, those cheap Chinese gaming boxes you refer to are indeed illegal so this provides a legal way to pay the companies that provided us with so many of the games we enjoyed as kids.

You answered your own question by stating that to you, the NA version is the one to get. That is your opinion as it is other's opinions to like the PAL/JP more regardless of what you think. Also, those that grew up on the PAL/JP version might think the US version looks like garbage.

To some, the nostalgic part is actually playing the games. They might not necessarily care what box they are played on.

As you know, those cheap Chinese gaming boxes you refer to are indeed illegal so this provides a legal way to pay the companies that provided us with so many of the games we enjoyed as kids.
Fair enough. Wonder how many people will relish the thought of "modding" or "hacking" their snes classic to play roms in true irony of your statement though.

Fair enough. Wonder how many people will relish the thought of "modding" or "hacking" their snes classic to play roms in true irony of your statement though.
There is no question that will happen.

It's funny though that all of the people I personally know that got an NES classic want this as well and exactly zero of them modded their NES classic. It makes me wonder how many actually do it.

Its funny how pre-orders for the UK and even German version of the SNES mini went live earlier. I was able to grab the German version through Amazon. Makes me wonder why the USA version is still not available. A friend of mine said its probably because of Trumps Wall and flight restrictions. I chuckled.
In related news:

Trump just signed an executive order giving him first access to buying up the entire lot of them. He is planning on reselling them to help pay for the wall.

[emoji1]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

There is no question that will happen.

It's funny though that all of the people I personally know that got an NES classic want this as well and exactly zero of them modded their NES classic. It makes me wonder how many actually do it.
Very few I'm guessing. Like less than 5%.

With as hard as the NES was to get I am sure most didn't want to brick their only one. If I was able to snag a few I would have modded one.

In related news:

Trump just signed an executive order giving him first access to buying up the entire lot of them. He is planning on reselling them to help pay for the wall.

[emoji1]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Don't give him any ideas... I think he follows this thread.

I modded both of mine. One with just NES games and the other NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy, etc. That is why I am curious how much the graphics will improve with the SNES classic.

I modded both of mine. One with just NES games and the other NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy, etc. That is why I am curious how much the graphics will improve with the SNES classic.
How hard was that to do? I may mod mine to put chrono trigger and terranigma, castlevania x and tmnt, dkc2 and maybe a few others. The snes was a great system, but how hard was it to do all that?

Edit found it on Reddit and YouTube, it's pretty straightforward

Go to Syndrome208 on YouTube. I recall one part of the process that took me a while to figure out. There have been several updates since then so it has to be easier to do. I have not updated b/c I have plenty of games on both and they all have save slots. I have not watched videos for the last several updates.

How hard was that to do? I may mod mine to put chrono trigger and terranigma, castlevania x and tmnt, dkc2 and maybe a few others. The snes was a great system, but how hard was it to do all that?

comes pre-loaded with 21 incredible games:

Contra III: The Alien Wars™
Donkey Kong Country™
EarthBound™
Final Fantasy III
F-ZERO™
Kirby™ Super Star
Kirby’s Dream Course™
The Legend of Zelda™: A Link to the Past™
Mega Man® X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox™
Star Fox™ 2
Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV™
Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts®
Super Mario Kart™
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars™
Super Mario World™
Super Metroid™
Super Punch-Out!! ™
Yoshi’s Island™

Any pre-order links will be below in the wiki post

http://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic

What are the glaring omissions to this list?

Chrono trigger, terranigma, tmnt, ogre battle, super smash tv, dkc2 and 3, anything else? Maybe ff2

Saga should do this for the Saturn, Genny, and dreamcast but a lot of those games are on steam

Well shit, was hoping it'd go up today, gonna be leaving the country tomorrow so it'll definitely go up when I get on my flight! You're welcome guys. But seriously, I'm gone til the 16th and I'm sure it's gonna go up by then and I'll be SOL on an NA version and will have to settle with the GAME preorder I have which will probably get cancelled.

So less games and higher price than the nes mini?  Pass.  However, I would highly suggest everyone just preorder one to avoid all the bullshit that happened with the nes mini and fuck over the scalpers.

So less games and higher price than the nes mini? Pass. However, I would highly suggest everyone just preorder one to avoid all the bullshit that happened with the nes mini and fuck over the scalpers.
If you do not preorder then you are fucked. The games list is extremely solid. Well except no chronobtrigger but I'm impressed they included earthbound

I think that Nintendo was going for a futuristic look with the release of the SNES in the west.  I remember it did look quite futuristic at the time with the dark grey on grey, the purple buttons, and a minimalist design overall.  I mean who dared to go purple back then?  In 1991 the SNES was the future, and 'the future is now' was the whole marketing angle.  The SNES tried to present itself as cutting edge.  Just look at the slanted font they used on the console boxes.  Try to remember what was going on in magazines at that time.  Nintendo needed everyone comfortable with the NES to graduate to the new platform. They also needed some product differentiation (from the NES) in a foreign market where they were still somewhat new.  And by god it worked. Every child gamer wanted a Super Nintendo to play the latest games. 

By contrast the PAL and JP version Super Famicom was much softer looking with its rounded edges and more approachable with its rainbow colored logo and buttons.  It was more of a natural evolution of the much boxier NES.  The Super Famicom played it safe from a design perspective.  Whereas the NA SNES tried to go bold. I think it's fairly obvious which design came first.  They also obviously wanted to differentiate the systems by region since they wouldn't be compatible. 

It's obvious what they were going for, just look at the box art for the systems.  Futurism.  The thing screams 90s.
Afbeelding3-3.png

box.jpg

What are the glaring omissions to this list?

Chrono trigger, terranigma, tmnt, ogre battle, super smash tv, dkc2 and 3, anything else? Maybe ff2

Saga should do this for the Saturn, Genny, and dreamcast but a lot of those games are on steam
Don't forget MMX2 and 3, E.V.O., Ninja warriors, Metal warrior, Battletoads, Battletoads Double Dragon, MK 1-3 and UMK3, Killer Instinct, Clayfighter, uniracers, stunt race fx, death and return of superman, Pilotwings, X-Men Apocalypse, Joe and Mac, Demon's Crest, Sim City, Harvest Moon, NBA Jam, Looney Tunes B-Ball, I can't remember the name exactly but I think it was called Space Megaforce, I'm pretty sure we had a Raiden and R-type on the SNES too, Knights of the Round, King of Dragons, if we count JP only I'd say throw in some of those FE and DBZ games too, justice league, primal rage, the Simpsons games,

Trying to do this without simply looking at my collection. That would be cheating. I'll edit as I think of others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bread's done
Back