SNES Classic Discussion Thread

Yes I remember seeing an Atari stick with 50 games for five bucks thinking "what a ripoff", even with pitfall and pole position , I don't think I could play that for more than 30 seconds

Coming soon: the hottest and saltiest action film of the summer.

From the creators that brought you Scalp Wars NES Classic

TkbpyaK.jpg
But what do the critics say about this movie? I must know

I think if Nintendo produces enough, the SNES Mini may have better sales than the Xbox One X over the holiday season which is mind blowing.... fuck ing Nintendo.

I also doubt Sega joins this race as they have already created smaller scale Sega Genesis in the past with like 20-30 games. I think Atari did something similar a bit ago too. I remember seeing them for like $30-40 a year or two ago. No HDMI though. A PSOne may be interesting though.
AtGames has a new Genesis Flashback coming out later this year with HDMI, save states, wireless 2.4 GHz controllers, a cartridge slot, and the usual built in games. Looks like an old school mini first gen model. AtGames hasn't been known for quality emulation in the past but I'll probably get this one.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/9/15768616/sega-genesis-flashback-console-premium

A sega cd reboot could be good with sonic cd, vay, the lunar games, slipheed etc but I won't hold my breath on that, no way working designs agrees to it(does working designs even exist anymore?)

A sega cd reboot could be good with sonic cd, vay, the lunar games, slipheed etc but I won't hold my breath on that, no way working designs agrees to it(does working designs even exist anymore?)
This would be amazing. There are some good Sega CD & Saturn games that would be fun to play again or for the first time....

A few things in favor of this being less of a shitshow than the NES Classic:

- Nintendo is slow to learn and adapt, but they MUST see now that there's a demand for this and increase production. ...right? RIGHT?

- Hopefully fewer games + higher price point makes this more profitable for Nintendo than the NES C. With the thin margins (including 3rd party licenses) on that device, I'm sure it wasn't worth it for them to keep making them. Especially considering:

- The Nintendo Online service is only confirmed to have NES games in its library. I'm sure that was a factor in killing the NES C early. The SNES C can comfortably exist alongside the online service, as it won't directly compete.

- Original rumors said that Nintendo killed the NES Classic to focus on the SNES Classic so in theory they've been in production for some time.

ALL THAT SAID, because everyone will expect this to be super limited, no matter how well the SNES Classic ends up being stocked it will be impossible to get for a while because scalpers will buy them all. I expect a big reason Nintendo is releasing this in September is so that the supply chain has a chance to even out before holiday shopping season. We'll see if that plan works for them.
Well they already said they will only be producing this product Sept through Dec.

So I'm skimming over the pages, playing catch up of the last 6 or so hours while I slept.  The only thing note worthy to happen was best buy put up a picture correct?  No amazon france preorders or amazon canada bottle of molsen bundle?

So I'm skimming over the pages, playing catch up of the last 6 or so hours while I slept. The only thing note worthy to happen was best buy put up a picture correct? No amazon france preorders or amazon canada bottle of molsen bundle?
I think the signal for preorders going live is when you log into CAG and have 1,000+ new notifications.

At the top of every hour I keep asking myself is this it?  Is this it?!.  Then 7 minutes in afterward I reply no, no it's not and go back to state of despression.

I'll tell you all what's going to happen.  When we fall asleep, go to the bathroom, go for a beer run, etc., etc., is exactly when the pre-orders will go live.

We will return to see this topic has gone bat-shit crazy....panic will set in as we frantically F5 our store pages...only to see they are OOS. 

Followed by....

n5kE8QY.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that Nintendo was going for a futuristic look with the release of the SNES in the west. I remember it did look quite futuristic at the time with the dark grey on grey, the purple buttons, and a minimalist design overall. I mean who dared to go purple back then? In 1991 the SNES was the future, and 'the future is now' was the whole marketing angle. The SNES tried to present itself as cutting edge. Just look at the slanted font they used on the console boxes. Try to remember what was going on in magazines at that time. Nintendo needed everyone comfortable with the NES to graduate to the new platform. They also needed some product differentiation (from the NES) in a foreign market where they were still somewhat new. And by god it worked. Every child gamer wanted a Super Nintendo to play the latest games.

By contrast the PAL and JP version Super Famicom was much softer looking with its rounded edges and more approachable with its rainbow colored logo and buttons. It was more of a natural evolution of the much boxier NES. The Super Famicom played it safe from a design perspective. Whereas the NA SNES tried to go bold. I think it's fairly obvious which design came first. They also obviously wanted to differentiate the systems by region since they wouldn't be compatible.

It's obvious what they were going for, just look at the box art for the systems. Futurism. The thing screams 90s.
Afbeelding3-3.png

box.jpg
I always enjoyed the look since seeing the super famicom in 1990 on some magazine. So for nostalgia that is the actual first version I saw so maybe that is why I am more drawn to it. But, It doesn't help that they specifically designed the snes so Americans wouldn't put their drink on it. Which showed a function of design choice there.

"The loading bay surface is curved, both to invite interaction and to prevent food or drinks from being placed on the console and spilling as had happened with the flat surfaced NES"

"Super Nintendo Entertainment System". Nintendo Power. Redmond, Washington: Nintendo of America. 25: 45–46. June 1991.

Either way I get it. I don't hate the snes us model, but given preference I have always preferred the look of the superfamicon model. I'm sure you may disagree and that's cool too.

I regretted not preordering the NES classic and told myself I'll get one once the hype die down. I'm not making the mistake again so this time I'm making sure I get on this one. This reminds me when I skipped work just to get tickets for coachella. Tickets went live on the website at 11am pacific time and the site was slow as hell or wouldn't load at all. After 15 minutes of constantly refreshing the sale website I was able to load the website and checkout. What a relief.

I regretted not preordering the NES classic and told myself I'll get one once the hype die down. I'm not making the mistake again so this time I'm making sure I get on this one. This reminds me when I skipped work just to get tickets for coachella. Tickets went live on the website at 11am pacific time and the site was slow as hell or wouldn't load at all. After 15 minutes of constantly refreshing the sale website I was able to load the website and checkout. What a relief.
Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of knowing a release time and are left f5ing for hours on end

All I need is one for myself.

I tried to help family out with the NES but when I realized they weren't even trying to help themselves get one but expected it to fall into their lap...no more help from me.

You want a limited item, you put in some damn effort. Stay woke. Check Brickseek hourly. Have someone on dial you can send to a store if your stuck at work and be sure to pay them for their time.

"Perhaps you should switch to another SNES Classic. Ohh, there's not another SNES Classic, is there? Aww that's too bad."

You want a limited item, you put in some damn effort. Stay woke. Check Brickseek hourly. Have someone on dial you can send to a store if your stuck at work and be sure to pay them for their time.
I did none of that and got 3 NES classics. 2 from randomly checking prime now (created threads both times on CAG) and one from a buddy that works at best buy (I just gave him the money and he got it when it came in. Since the employees get first dibs). No lost sleep, No F5ing, No waiting in line.

I did none of that and got 3 NES classics. 2 from randomly checking prime now (created threads both times on CAG) and one from a buddy that works at best buy (I just gave him the money and he got it when it came in. Since the employees get first dibs). No lost sleep, No F5ing, No waiting in line.
My area doesn't have PrimeNow. And I don't have an insider. So I did the work to achieve the dream.

Holy crap, that Amazon Italy listing sold out at light speed. If the US ones ever come up I'm not sure I have the dexterity to hit the preorder button fast enough to secure one. This is nutso

bread's done
Back