SNES Classic Discussion Thread

Did you stop and think that the reason you were able to buy 7 so easily was because the supply was so much greater than scalper demand? Hang on to your receipts, you might be needing them ...
Or maybe consumers moved on. People seem to be forgetting that RARELY does lightning strike twice. Nintendo hit one with the Wii, and then the NES Classic. It might ACTUALLY be that demand/hype for this item didn't quite add up the same way as for the NES.

I do think that people overcompensated and that you'll see far fewer people willing to pay a whole lot more this go-around. With the Switch and the new 2DS on the market, Nintendo has plenty of other products cost-conscious buyers can spend their money on. That WASN'T the case last year when the NES Classic not only got all the attention, but was also the ONLY new Nintendo product for sale.

Scalpers are going to be disappointed this year. And good - fuck 'em all.

This is Nintendo. Give it a few weeks and no store will have them. Then people will start to get desperate and the demand will be there again.
That's the thing, people that really wanted one were ready this year and it sounds like most of them got their console and are now done. Nintendo has so far lived up to all of their promises on this, and one of them still pending was quick and frequent restocks. I'm not saying that around Black Friday when parents jump in it won't get scarce again somewhat, but the supply of people that were really anxious to get one seems to be satisfied this year. It wasn't last year.

The only people that seem to be getting disappointed this time around are those that figured they would stroll in an hour after opening and find one (and some of them still got one) and people that have online pre-orders at some stores (and that isn't Nintendo's fault). If you figured you would just run by well after opening and try and get one, you really weren't all that invested in getting it right away. People that really wanted one are the ones that resort to paying scalping prices, and if you really wanted one it was easy to get one today.

Also, since the resell value is plummeting with thousands on EBay (and I saw like twenty in our local Craigslist with ludicrous prices), I would expect on top of those restocks you are going to see people that bought like seven returning them to the stores when they are barely making enough to even make it worthwhile to scalp. Once it gets down to the $110 range on EBay (and it is getting there quickly) fees and shipping are going to eat your entire profit (even without factoring in gas/time spent acquiring those).

Last edited by a moderator:
You just fed a scalper's family for the night. ;)
Yeah. I considered that possibility, but I'm hopeful someone is playing that console right now; grateful they got the last one before the person behind them in line was turned away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got in line at BBY. #35 out of 100+. All sold out. The last time I remember falling in line for something similar was during the N64 launch. I think it was at BBY too, albeit in a different city. Memory's hazy. Fun times.

So I placed an order last night for an SNES at Target for instore pick up. Got the unavailable message this morning, contacted Customer Support, got a $10 GC for my troubles.

I just got the official cancelation email from Target... and apparently they are sending a $50 GC as well!

So I placed an order last night for an SNES at Target for instore pick up. Got the unavailable message this morning, contacted Customer Support, got a $10 GC for my troubles.

I just got the official cancelation email from Target... and apparently they are sending a $50 GC as well!
I checked my email and I will be getting one too.

So has anyone talked to Amazon CS about their orders?

I did and apparently they "received insufficient inventory." of course, this is after they sold thousands through their "Treasure Trucks" today and the fact that i ordered minutes of it going up (Even before wario tweeted it). 

Not that salty since i already have mine from Best Buy.

But this is ridiculous none the less and proves again Amazon is a JOKE. 

All amazon locations around the world EU/CA/JPN handled this without a problem, yet US Amazon pulls this shit once again. 

Is there a BlackBeard spreadsheet for these at GameStop?
You want to get banned?! Asking such questions here

giphy.gif

I have 3 of these hooked up to my TV. I've had good luck with all of them and highly recommend them. I may need a 4th if every year they release a N64 classic, a gamecube classic, a Virtual Boy classic, etc. :D/

That's the thing, people that really wanted one were ready this year and it sounds like most of them got their console and are now done. Nintendo has so far lived up to all of their promises on this, and one of them still pending was quick and frequent restocks. I'm not saying that around Black Friday when parents jump in it won't get scarce again somewhat, but the supply of people that were really anxious to get one seems to be satisfied this year. It wasn't last year.

The only people that seem to be getting disappointed this time around are those that figured they would stroll in an hour after opening and find one (and some of them still got one) and people that have online pre-orders at some stores (and that isn't Nintendo's fault). If you figured you would just run by well after opening and try and get one, you really weren't all that invested in getting it right away. People that really wanted one are the ones that resort to paying scalping prices, and if you really wanted one it was easy to get one today.

Also, since the resell value is plummeting with thousands on EBay (and I saw like twenty in our local Craigslist with ludicrous prices), I would expect on top of those restocks you are going to see people that bought like seven returning them to the stores when they are barely making enough to even make it worthwhile to scalp. Once it gets down to the $110 range on EBay (and it is getting there quickly) fees and shipping are going to eat your entire profit (even without factoring in gas/time spent acquiring those).
That's all true but this isn't at hot holiday item yet until Thanksgiving roles around. Same thing happens every year. Like last year you had Hatchimals, NES Classic, Pie Face, etc. All of these items were avaiable for some time before Thanksgiving. Some people knew about it but not much. As soon as the holidays started, these were hot holiday items despite stock being there before hand (hell Pie Face came out over the summer).

The one's who knew about this are either gamers that follow news or parents that saw it in the weekly ad. Most people still have no idea what this is and won't until the holiday season like all hot holiday items.

Nintendo likely sent out all their inventory for this launch and it barely dents the U.S. population. Nintendo (like any other company) will struggle to keep up stock on a hot holiday item. It happens every year. This isn't new and will repeat like it always has.

That's all true but this isn't at hot holiday item yet until Thanksgiving roles around. Same thing happens every year. Like last year you had Hatchimals, NES Classic, Pie Face, etc. All of these items were avaiable for some time before Thanksgiving. Some people knew about it but not much. As soon as the holidays started, these were hot holiday items despite stock being there before hand (hell Pie Face came out over the summer).

The one's who knew about this are either gamers that follow news or parents that saw it in the weekly ad. Most people still have no idea what this is and won't until the holiday season like all hot holiday items.

Nintendo likely sent out all their inventory for this launch and it barely dents the U.S. population. Nintendo (like any other company) will struggle to keep up stock on a hot holiday item. It happens every year. This isn't new and will repeat like it always has.
Keep trying to convince yourself of that. Nintendo is going to keep the product up this time. And you're FORGETTING the biggest difference this go-around. Last year, the NES Classic was the ONLY new Nintendo product available. Given Nintendo's ability to launch this one with 2m+ units, it's evidence it's got its supply chain in better shape. The NES Classic ran into a lot of problems last time because Nintendo was prepping the Switch - the classic was meant to plug a hole where Nintendo literally had zero merch to sell. Now that the newest products are in place, the SNES is seriously more a diversion than the main course.

This year, the SNES Classic sits aside not only the new Switch, but Mario Odyssey, Xenosaga 2, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart Deluxe, and the bevy of minty fresh Switch games. Add to that the New 2DS hardware, Metroid, and the rest of the DS' stellar library (expect Nintendo to do a massive reprint of its classic handheld releases at great price points), and you have parents with kids now wanting many other Nintendo items. In other words, a WHOLE lot less focus and attention on the Classic. The main push will Switch, and 2DS - and all the new games. The marketing and media will mostly be paying attention there. That all means less news, less hype, and generally less enthusiasm for it.

Add to all of this the fact that Nintendo IS making these into 2018, and then bringing the NES back -- all things I'm sure the company will reiterate at the holidays, and I assure you the SNES Classic won't be fetching the scalper-crazy dollars the NES Classic did. The circumstances are just VERY different this time.

But hey - like you said, whatever helps YOU sleep a little easier at night, too.

Scalpers - fuck 'em all - another middleman all of us can happily do without. Hopefully, Amazon wipes 'em all out.

Got to target at like 6:45 for the 8am opening and was in the middle of the pack

Was worth it cuz im loving it. have it hooked to my computer monitor (pc is into the dvi, snes into the hdmi), so the cord length is no issue. and at any time can hop into super mario world. im happy lol

I felt badly for the guy who said he'd been lined up at Target since 3:45 AM when I casually showed up at 7:40 AM and got ticket 31/44.  They sold them from Customer Service with five registers running, and I was out of the store and back in my car by 8:10 AM.  It was ridiculous how easy that was.

So has anyone talked to Amazon CS about their orders?

I did and apparently they "received insufficient inventory." of course, this is after they sold thousands through their "Treasure Trucks" today and the fact that i ordered minutes of it going up (Even before wario tweeted it).

Not that salty since i already have mine from Best Buy.

But this is ridiculous none the less and proves again Amazon is a JOKE.

All amazon locations around the world EU/CA/JPN handled this without a problem, yet US America pulls this shit once again.
Yeah I e-mailed CS and got a $10 credit for the delay. If I didn't already have a SNES coming from another retailer, I'd be furious. Guess I really lucked out when I preordered my Switch from them and got it only a day late.

Bumbo play tray, lololol. Now I have to go look that up. As for Amazon preorders and release day stock being MIA/in limbo, the Treasure Truck volumes don't exactly present a great image.
Has anyone complained to Amazon about this, I got busy and was at work all day, I didn't get a chance to see what they would say.

I was able to get three today that I'm going to keep and gift. On top of that, Target is giving me a 50 dollar gift card for an order I placed today but ended up cancelling.

Has anyone complained to Amazon about this, I got busy and was at work all day, I didn't get a chance to see what they would say.
I just finished chatting with them. All the rep would say was that they didn't get enough stock and they have contacted the supplier for more. We should get an email next week with updated information.

I mentioned that all the other stores (Best Buy, Target, Walmart) sent out pre-orders on time, that Amazon Treasure Truck offered stock instead of using it to fulfill pre-orders, and that Amazon has not sent any emails lately regarding this delay. All of these points were ignored :\

I suppose we will eventually get these orders fulfilled considering Nintendo's increased production. I just wish Amazon could give us better (or any) information on order status.

Weird question, but, is there anyone getting a UK or EU edition only who wants to swap one of my US edition controllers for one of the multicolored international version ones? I had planned on and had preordered both but finances got tight so I had to cancel my UK edition one and it's tearing me up inside.

I felt badly for the guy who said he'd been lined up at Target since 3:45 AM when I casually showed up at 7:40 AM and got ticket 31/44. They sold them from Customer Service with five registers running, and I was out of the store and back in my car by 8:10 AM. It was ridiculous how easy that was.
I wouldn't. He took the gamble that it might be hard and you didn't. You both won because you guys got what you wanted at the end. Happy endings for everyone!

Except for those with amazon preorders...

Nintendo probably doesn't even need to bother releasing a new console ever again. They can apparently just resell old consoles with minimal effort and make millions. N64 Classic next year then GC Classic and so on until it all starts again with a second run of NES Classics!

Nintendo probably doesn't even need to bother releasing a new console ever again. They can apparently just resell old consoles with minimal effort and make millions. N64 Classic next year then GC Classic and so on until it all starts again with a second run of NES Classics!
Good joke, but for people who don't know, the console business is driven by software sales, not hardware. It doesn't pay to give 21 games away along with hardware, too.

Unless of course those consoles take next to nothing to manufacture/keep supported and you sell each console at an absurd markup....

...which I highly suspect is the case here

Unless of course those consoles take next to nothing to manufacture/keep supported and you sell each console at an absurd markup....

...which I highly suspect is the case here
One-time deal, no controllers, no peripherals, no software licensing. It's not a good long-term product. Suitable for limited and seasonal releases only - which is coincidentally how it's sold.

The Gamecube classic, whenever that comes out, is perhaps the one I want most. That system has a special place in my heart.

Exactly

There's little to no toil behind the product as it's something with no new R&D costs.

It's a rerelease or simply further profit on old ideas. Convenient amirite

They don't lose with additional rereleases (barring oversaturation) as long as costs to produce  and distribute remain low. Even if they are "giving away games for free."

If it didn't make at least a little business sense, they wouldn't go for it

Keep trying to convince yourself of that.

Scalpers - fuck 'em all - another middleman all of us can happily do without. Hopefully, Amazon wipes 'em all out.
I don't have to. Look at other items from previous years and items currently selling this year (LOL Dolls, Fingerlings, etc.).

I know it's easy to believe Nintendo will do well this year but remember their track record and other companies as well.

And those stores you buy products from are also middlemen. You really want to get around that, get a contract with a distributor and buy from them, or even better, the manufacturer.

To add to that late night discussion, if you think this won't be hard to find because of lack of demand or Nintendo miraculously making enough this time, you're crazy. Sure, not all stores sold out instantly during the late Thursday / early Friday release, but plenty of people would not have been able to go because of work. Now, a day later, virtually everywhere is out. This was probably the one solid date we'll see for stores having shipments, so now it will come down to the luck of hearing if your specific store is getting a shipment in and trying to be there if you missed out.

At my store last year, we had the "big" shipment for launch, and a second about a month later. I think we'll see a similar pattern this year, with maybe one or two additional big shipments, on top of the small trickle of stores getting a case at a time randomly. I could not even tell you how many people I had ask me about the NES in the three or so months it was available, hundreds that I personally spoke to, not including everyone else in my store. And for someone who thinks $80 is too high for casuals to buy this, it's not. We have a lot of lower income families that shop with us, and the Atari and especially the Genesis Flashbacks are always popular with those that want some kind of gaming and simply can't afford the current systems. It is more expensive, but having Mario and Donkey Kong alone gives it enough of a boost to make it appealing still. The only new system that's in that price range (that you can generally find at retail still) is the 2DS, which isn't an option for something the family can do together, and comes with only 1 game at best.

I think the NES re-release next year could be a different story from these two launches. I'm under the impression that it's coming out earlier in the year, and so won't have the holidays to vastly strengthen demand.

Uh, That's exactly what happen... just read the post by karkyco with photos of one of the trucks. I also posted this link earlier about Amazon expanding the Treasure Truck program and using SNES to promote it.

https://www.cnet.com/news/snes-classic-edition-is-available-from-amazon-treasure-truck/
Exactly...18 cities and in the pic from the article, in NY there were at least 2 Treasure Taco Trucks. Figure roughly 5K on each truck and I wouldn't be surprised if they had 100K+ on all treasure trucks...I think some cities/regions even have/had more than 1 location, because I recall on one of the offers I had at least 2 possibly 3 location options to pick up from, maybe south OC? Or maybe it was one location for a few hours, then would move to another location. Can't recall the details as it was one of the gourmet steak offers.

Exactly...18 cities and in the pic from the article, in NY there were at least 2 Treasure Taco Trucks. Figure roughly 5K on each truck and I wouldn't be surprised if they had 100K+ on all treasure trucks...I think some cities/regions even have/had more than 1 location, because I recall on one of the offers I had at least 2 possibly 3 location options to pick up from, maybe south OC? Or maybe it was one location for a few hours, then would move to another location. Can't recall the details as it was one of the gourmet steak offers.
having seen the actual treasure truck in person and driven a similar model on a daily basis, i can tell you 5k units is an insane over-estimation. there's no way they would even choose to pack $400k worth of product for this event (and the portland one was not in what would be called a secure/safe location). it's more likely to be 500-1k. still shitty for them to do, but let's not get too carried away.

having seen the actual treasure truck in person and driven a similar model on a daily basis, i can tell you 5k units is an insane over-estimation. there's no way they would even choose to pack $400k worth of product for this event (and the portland one was not in what would be called a secure/safe location). it's more likely to be 500-1k. still shitty for them to do, but let's not get too carried away.
There wasn't just the one truck itself used to deliver these. The Amazonians told me they had sold through and actually moved 3,300 (as in, people had picked up 3300 already) when I showed up at 4 pm, halfway through the event...and they still had tons. Those pallets were full sized and at least 8 feet tall...each one had at the very least a few hundred, maybe 500 on each. So that would only take 10 pallets and there were at least 3 still in the truck, with lots of room for other pallets. Certainly, the lesser "cities" on the list of 18 invariably had fewer available, but I have no doubt that NY, LA, and Chicago had a hell of a lot of these.

There wasn't just the one truck itself used to deliver these. The Amazonians told me they had sold through and actually moved 3,300 (as in, people had picked up 3300 already) when I showed up at 4 pm, halfway through the event...and they still had tons. Those pallets were full sized and at least 8 feet tall...each one had at the very least a few hundred, maybe 500 on each. So that would only take 10 pallets and there were at least 3 still in the truck, with lots of room for other pallets. Certainly, the lesser "cities" on the list of 18 invariably had fewer available, but I have no doubt that NY, LA, and Chicago had a hell of a lot of these.
ok now i understand where you're coming from. the trucks weren't for transport, just display. were the pallets really "at least" 8 feet tall? trailers are 96" max inner height and amazon doesn't even let vendors ship product to them stacked that high for safety. i think it's like 54" max, something ridiculously over-cautious and expensive to ship. i would know, i am in charge of vendor shipping compliance for my company lol

the only thing that makes sense for all this to be real is if nintendo arranged the delivery of product to the locations.

Can I get someone to make a "treasure truck stole my SNES" meme in the vein of the classic passe Punch Out bike .gif?

*sends out Ferrariracer batsignal*

ok now i understand where you're coming from. the trucks weren't for transport, just display. were the pallets really "at least" 8 feet tall? trailers are 96" max inner height and amazon doesn't even let vendors ship product to them stacked that high for safety. i think it's like 54" max, something ridiculously over-cautious and expensive to ship. i would know, i am in charge of vendor shipping compliance for my company lol

the only thing that makes sense for all this to be real is if nintendo handled the delivery of product to the locations.
That's pretty funny if true. I work for USPS and our morning amazon pallets are at least 6 feet high. with all the small envelopes on the bottom and the 60+ pound food boxes on top.

That's pretty funny if true. I work for USPS and our morning amazon pallets are at least 6 feet high. with all the small envelopes on the bottom and the 60+ pound food boxes on top.
well that's just a case of usps not enforcing the same pallet requirement on amazon. but it does highlight that amazon doesn't realy care or else they wouldn't allow their own employees to stack that high for their own safety

bread's done
Back