SNES game case project begins!!

Yeah, I'm sorry. I've been out for awhile too. I tore my damn ACL and rehab is a bitch for a fat body such as myself. :)

I'll get some more scans going for the Mayor, Backlash, and any others with the photoshop skills.

[quote name='erehwon']Maybe I should talk with some people over at Digital Press. They would have the boxes for sure. I would think some of them might be interested. It's a pretty cool idea.[/QUOTE]
Edited your post for correctness...

[quote name='Backlash']This fellow posted in the N64 Case thread but it also applies to SNES Cases:

www.gamescanner.org[/QUOTE]

Quality NES scans?!?

Only a small case modification needed for NES games to fit?!?

Probably not enough interest for more covers.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

What does everyone think?

So Im at the library, just print one and no need to worry about it going off page? Also, after I print it, now what? I need one of them cases...

I love NES and think it is definately worthy of scan collecting. I don't think the stuff on Gamescanner.org is high enough dpi. I only looked at a few of them... he has a nice collection

I'd kill for a case that worked for NES. I have 42 boxes lying around that are in good enough condition to scan for a NES project.

BTW, KyleRXZero sent me Castlevania IV, NinjaWarriors and Earthbound. I'll have these up as time permits. The XBOX 360 has zombified me for the past month. :(

[quote name='Mayor McCheese']I'd kill for a case that worked for NES. I have 42 boxes lying around that are in good enough condition to scan for a NES project.

BTW, KyleRXZero sent me Castlevania IV, NinjaWarriors and Earthbound. I'll have these up as time permits. The XBOX 360 has zombified me for the past month. :([/QUOTE]

Awesome I still need Castlevania 4. I can't believe we are still misssing scans for some of the best SNES games of all time, like Starfox and Super Mario World

Edit: speaking of which, I'm going to make Yoshi's Island soon using the scan at gamescanners.org..

I just came across this thread and thought I would put my 2 cents in on the project. When scanning the box art images it's important to use the "descreen" option in your scannner software if you have it. This improves the quality of the scan which results in sharper detail. Also, 300 dpi is overkill for the images, 200 dpi will do the trick very well plus the file size will be smaller.

If anyone has box art images that they would like printed out on glossy cardstock I'll be glad to help. I have access to a high end commercial grade color laser printer that does an incredible job with printing.

Wow, that'd be great. And looking at my collection, seems the only boxed SNES game I have is Animaniacs... =(

Oh well, better than nothing.

[quote name='SMMM']Here are raw scans of Animaniacs. They're not that great, but can someone touch em up?

http://rapidshare.de/files/9947201/animaniacs.zip.html[/QUOTE]

If I had the time I'd take a shot at it but I've already got five games boxes to work on and I still haven't finished the first one, Mario RPG Legend Of The Seven Stars. The other four are Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III, Earth Bound, and Castlevania Dracula X.

[quote name='Speed Racer']If I had the time I'd take a shot at it but I've already got five games boxes to work on and I still haven't finished the first one, Mario RPG Legend Of The Seven Stars. The other four are Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III, Earth Bound, and Castlevania Dracula X.[/QUOTE]

Some of those are done already at snackbar (http://www.snackbar-games.com/gbacovers.php?cat=snes). Check there before you spend any time.

I want to do this, I only have one SNES game though. Its supermetroid, and I need the instructions for it, anyone have it? Also, will anyone do the whole thing and sell it to me?

[quote name='Backlash']Some of those are done already at snackbar (http://www.snackbar-games.com/gbacovers.php?cat=snes). Check there before you spend any time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know some are already available online but because I'm somewhat of a perfectionist I'd rather do my own versions. By being able to make scans from original boxes that I have on hand I'm able to keep the same level of quality from start to finish.

If anyone is interested in having the box art inserts that are available for download printed out but don't have the resources to do it I'm offering a print service at a cost of $0.35 per insert plus a small S&H fee. I can print them out on a thin, glossy cardstock that will hold up better than paper. The printer I use is a high end commercial grade color laser that's as big as a washing machine, no kidding, and it does an incredible job. The only thing I ask is that you order a minimum of two inserts because the sheets I use are 12" x 18" and this will help prevent wasting the cardstock. I've already printed a sample using Super Mario RPG Legend Of The Seven Stars and it turned out great.

[quote name='SMMM']How much would shipping be? About $1-2 for USPS First Class?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that sounds about right since they would have to be mailed in a large envelope.

If anyone is still interested in this project:

I've got a whole bunch of empty cases left over. Some people were interested but never replied back to me. They're still up for grabs if anyone wants 'em. 50 cents each plus a couple bucks to ship is pretty reasonable I think. If you want some please PM me and we can set something up. Otherwise I'm getting ready to toss them.

I would since I don't want to pay $60 for 100 cases....problem is, I have almost 100 SNES/N64 games as it is...

[quote name='egrudzin']If anyone is still interested in this project:

I've got a whole bunch of empty cases left over. Some people were interested but never replied back to me. They're still up for grabs if anyone wants 'em. 50 cents each plus a couple bucks to ship is pretty reasonable I think. If you want some please PM me and we can set something up. Otherwise I'm getting ready to toss them.[/QUOTE]

Don't toss them. Check the N64 Case project for other people who need cases - there are some folks in there I believe. You might want to keep some for yourself - I wouldn't have had to buy extras from you if I had kept extras from my first order of 100. There's always other good SNES or N64 games you'll run into eventually :)

Maybe we should point TheValeman in this direction. Wouldn't be the first thread he could revive ;)
But really, I've kind of given up hope to get all the covers that I need (which would be about 60) because these games are just too hard to find in good condition :whistle2:/
Maybe this project will come to live again once the majority of N64 covers have been done. At least I hope

Project is not dead yet!

I just uploaded Starfox, Secret of Evermore and Final Fantasy III to Snackbar. Hope this will help some.

I wasn't able to find these SNES box art images on Snackbar and was wondering if they might be available on another site. They are Donkey Country (all three), Super Mario World, and TMNT Tournament Fighters. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

[quote name='SMMM']Is there a way to "unfade" some of those scans?[/QUOTE]

I think you just have to work with them in Photoshop, adjusting the hue and saturation (but not too much). One of the things I try to always do is Image > Adjust Levels so that the black gets closer to true black and is more consistent. Otherwise it looks kind of splotchy and gray sometimes.

[quote name='Backlash']I think you just have to work with them in Photoshop, adjusting the hue and saturation (but not too much). One of the things I try to always do is Image > Adjust Levels so that the black gets closer to true black and is more consistent. Otherwise it looks kind of splotchy and gray sometimes.[/QUOTE]

If you're using Photoshop I suggest using the Curves adjustment instead of the Levels. The curves adjustment gives you the ability to fine tune things a little better.

[quote name='Backlash']Cool thanks for the tip. I'm still a Photoshop novice. I know just enough to touch up scans, though not too well :)[/QUOTE]

You're welcome. I'm by no means a pro with Photoshop but by constantly working with it I've picked up a few things here an there.

Thanks to the gamescanner.org site for the raw front and back scan for this:

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4202/castlevaniacover9xs.jpg

I know this is the thread for SNES, but with just a little case modification, NES Carts can fit into the game cases. The plastic for the cases is a bit tougher than the DS cases, but it can be done. I can post a picture later showing the few "posts" that remain after mosification.

Sorry for the slightly different color grays on the cover, but the only thing I have ever used Photoshop for is these covers.

[quote name='kdunn77']Thanks to the gamescanner.org site for the raw front and back scan for this:

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4202/castlevaniacover9xs.jpg

I know this is the thread for SNES, but with just a little case modification, NES Carts can fit into the game cases. The plastic for the cases is a bit tougher than the DS cases, but it can be done. I can post a picture later showing the few "posts" that remain after mosification.

Sorry for the slightly different color grays on the cover, but the only thing I have ever used Photoshop for is these covers.[/QUOTE]
Oh, no! Don't start this! I was so close to being done with my collection! Just let the NES carts be themselves! Please? ;)

NES would be extremely hard to do so unless you tap into some guy how has a complete boxed collection and is willing to scan all 650 odd sum covers, AND THEN get someone to resize it for the covers. I doubt NES is do-able.

I just saw this auction on Ebay:

[/url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8259634043&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 It is an auction for a game case ...snackbar. Looks like I jumped the gun.:bomb:

kind of a long thread to sift through, i have a few games not listed in the main post, anyone need scans for the following:
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Illusion of Gaia
Legend of Zelda
Yoshis Island

I also have Brain lord and secret of evermore, but they aren't in the best of shape

[quote name='billyG']kind of a long thread to sift through, i have a few games not listed in the main post, anyone need scans for the following:
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II

Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Illusion of Gaia

Legend of Zelda
Yoshis Island

I also have Brain lord and secret of evermore, but they aren't in the best of shape[/QUOTE]

The bolds are what we need.

ok I have one of yoshis island put together, but it is too large to put on image shack. also it might need a small amount of retouching..

Let me know what to do with the file.

If my paint shop pro job sucks i can just upload the box scans if you want.

bread's done
Back