So Contact is out right now!

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Masamune isn't too hard to find. Just keep checking for hidden passages and you should find it.[/quote]As long as it's found after Aegis, I won't worry about it. But if I missed it, I guess I'll have to start replaying every dungeon.

You'll find it somewhere in Habara. As a side note, one of the areas you get to visit there has fantastic music that captures the essence of the world perfectly.

Any chance of another Massive Contact day? I just began playing tonight - Saturday - so I missed out. I work/go to school all day, so I play at night. I'm usually playing one game or another from about 8pm to 12 western time.

My friend key is: 4897 0879 8333

I've added the first set of friend keys that I found in this thread, so if anyone can afford the minute or two that it takes to pop on and into the other person's game, let me know.

[quote name='botticus']Alright, found the red bird in Aegis, got my fishing costume. As an FYI, there's a guy on Ft. Eagle buying roses for 400 a pop.

Anyone found a Masamune/katana yet?
I have a feeling that's going to be the way to complete the Shadow Thief's first mission, unless io's found the solution already.
[/QUOTE]

Info on the Masamune and the first Shadow Thief mission:

Lan covered it - the Masamune is in Habara, near the end actually - look for a secret passge near the top of an escalator that goes WAY down. The mayor will offer you 20,000 for it. So I just kept it as I got plenty of money from my killing spree :D.

I think I covered the Shadow Thief mission in an update - you just go back to the spice guy and go into the back room (push him out of the way or kill him). It is on a shelf in the room you saved him in earlier. I just hadn't picked it up earlier because the stupid bugs in there were too tough. They are still a nuisance, but no problem to kill now.

Here are my unsolved mysteries:
1) The guy in Aegis who wants the gloves (boxing gloves) just disappears.
2) The girl in Aegis who wants to set up an accessory shop
3) The exact stat levels you need for all the girlfriends
4) The use for the treasure map I fished out of the tubs on WiFi island (I only got part 3 so far)

Apparently I missed an item by not giving the soldier at the beginning of Ft. Eagle an Army Knife. He gives you some other weapon in return (according to the Gamefaqs people anyway). There are also quite a few side stories in Ft Eagle so you might want to head back there. Someone wants to be a king, there's the big fish, and also something about a scientist and dolly the sheep - this is all blabbering from Gamefaqs people :D.

[quote name='io']
Apparently I missed an item by not giving the soldier at the beginning of Ft. Eagle an Army Knife. He gives you some other weapon in return (according to the Gamefaqs people anyway). There are also quite a few side stories in Ft Eagle so you might want to head back there. Someone wants to be a king, there's the big fish, and also something about a scientist and dolly the sheep - this is all blabbering from Gamefaqs people :D.[/quote]Heh, unfortunately this is getting to a point of depth where I'm not going to be able to try to get every little thing. That will have to be for a second playthrough.

The guy who apparently wanted the army knife now collects recyclable stuff. Sold him two empty cans for about 40 each.

Re: Shadow Thief
So wait, the stuff you get for the Shadow Thief mission are the cloves? That's what I was able to pick up from the spice cabinet when I went there (I didn't do that sidequest until just yesterday). I thought it was something else.

^^^ Yes to your question about the Shadow Thief. I had done that sidequest so long ago I thought it was part of the regular story. I guess not... The master thief does tell you exactly what it is you are looking for, dod you miss that? :lol:

I agree on not being able to get everything this playthrough. However, this game has one fatal flaw for collector's and completists. It would seem from the detailed grids of items that the game is tailored for collecting and getting 100% complete, etc... However, the one flaw is that once you sell or use an item, it is no longer shown in the inventory. What they should have done was show a shadow version or "grayed out" version of the item, or at least show you what that slot is when you highlight it - and it should count towards the number of items collected (which the game doesn't even keep track of as far as I know - is there a % complete stat anywhere?). I'm thinking along the lines of Tales of Legendia. Once you make or find something, you don't need to keep it any more to be "complete" (as often it might be needed to make something else). It just would have been nice if they threw a few more tracking/completion elements into this game - would have added a bit of incentive to getting all these obscure items.

Having said all this, I got stuck again last night on the part after Habara... RF, have you gotten through there yet?

[quote name='io']

Having said all this, I got stuck again last night on the part after Habara... RF, have you gotten through there yet?[/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah. I'm basically just messing around until I want to go to the castle. Did you guys get the secret UFO decal yet?

[quote name='io'] What they should have done was show a shadow version or "grayed out" version of the item, or at least show you what that slot is when you highlight it [/quote]

Yes I completely agree. I did notice they kinda do this with some of the treasure items. Some trade items like the staue and car parts get little check marks when traded away.

[quote name='io'] Having said all this, I got stuck again last night on the part after Habara... RF, have you gotten through there yet?[/quote]

Rizo Island?

Reality's Fringe;2319829]Oh said:
No, do tell :D

Lan_Zero - I was wondering why I still had the statue pieces in my inventory. I saw the check marks but wasn't sure what they meant. Interesting. Yet, if I sell the Masumune to the mayor of Caldoaxa I'm sure it will go away forever. I guess I could try it and not save.

Yes, I'm stuck at Rizo. Admittedly, I got there at about 2 or 3 am last night and was too tired to put much effort into it. But it seemed I couldn't get to the girl at all to stop her keyboard playing - she just kept telling me to go away :D. And it didn't seem like there was much else to do there.

It seems I'm near the end of the game, yet I'm missing a ton of recipes and still can't make a couple of the ones I have. I even spent some time levelling cooking up to 30, thinking that would unlock level 2 cooking - nothing. Plus when I look at the skills/abilities matrix there are a TON I haven't gotten yet. It seems they don't come easily.

wohhoo i'm gettin this in a trade :D trading Castlevania DoS for this...i dont really enjoy castlevania games and this game seems very interesting and unique

Wait, it just came to me as I was surfing CAG and watching football what I need to do on Rizo island (funny how these things come to you - it's the same when I'm stuck on a heinous bug in my software, I'll think of the solution while showring, or playing games, or watching a movie, etc...). The only 'event' there was I could walk up and see what was playing on the one keyboard when she moved to the other equipment. Now I remember something in Habara... Didn't want to waste the money at that time on what I thought was just a frivolous bonus item :lol:. That must be it though...

[quote name='io']No, do tell :D

[/QUOTE]

Behind the hut on Bamboo Island where the kid buried his grandfater...sometimes a UFO comes down when you enter the screen. Perhaps if you...blew into the microphone when the UFO came into view? Of course, that's all hullabaloo and nonsense....

Oh, and if you're still on RIZO island, don't leave without hugging the south wall in the passage with all the sea turtle things. You might get a nice present(if you haven't gotten it already).

Reality's Fringe;2320266 said:
Behind the hut on Bamboo Island where the kid buried his grandfater...sometimes a UFO comes down when you enter the screen. Perhaps if you...blew into the microphone when the UFO came into view? Of course, that's all hullabaloo and nonsense....

Oh, and if you're still on RIZO island, don't leave without hugging the south wall in the passage with all the sea turtle things. You might get a nice present(if you haven't gotten it already).

Ah, I saw the UFO, but would *never* have thought of blowing on the mic :D. Could you list that Rizo island item in a spoiler tag? I am pretty good at finding the secret passages so I probably got it, but I can't think of what it is/was.

By the way, speaking of the turtles - I noticed they drop eggs. Is the only way to get the other cooking items like butter and milk by killing fridges in Habara? I assumed by now I would be able to buy them - but unless that happens in the castle I haven't found a shop for them yet. Also, there must be something you can do with that stuff and the woman in Caldoaxa who mentions them all - any ideas there? (she mentions butter, milk, eggs, etc).

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']so instead of reading through the 100s of post, can anyone give me a simple description of what the game is like and what its about[/quote]Think Secret of Evermore with touch screen controls and a very well done script.

You basically need to locate one cell on each of many islands in the game. The Professor guides you and the character (the two are different in this game) along the way from the safety of the top screen, while all the action takes place on the bottom. Combat is somewhat automatic. Put your guy into attack mode, and he attacks whatever is near him; there's no separate combat screen. But you can control special attacks and whatnot, run away when you feel like it, avoid battles if you choose.

Lots of secret passages, lots of collectibles, lots of fun.

Feel free to contribute to this description if you'd like.

[quote name='io']Ah, I saw the UFO, but would *never* have thought of blowing on the mic :D. Could you list that Rizo island item in a spoiler tag? I am pretty good at finding the secret passages so I probably got it, but I can't think of what it is/was.

By the way, speaking of the turtles - I noticed they drop eggs. Is the only way to get the other cooking items like butter and milk by killing fridges in Habara? I assumed by now I would be able to buy them - but unless that happens in the castle I haven't found a shop for them yet. Also, there must be something you can do with that stuff and the woman in Caldoaxa who mentions them all - any ideas there? (she mentions butter, milk, eggs, etc).[/QUOTE]

Carbon rod,a nice fishing tool (at least until something better comes along in the last castle)
Also, the woman gives you money for giving her all the ingredients. I think it's based on how much of each ingredient you have when you talk to her.

Okay, I'm still way behind you guys. So sue me. Had a busy social calendar this weekend and had to finish up an article for work. Anyway, I think I've done everything I can do in Caldoxa Ruins at this point. I know you guys said you need to get the mole knuckle suit. I found the guy digging, and I assume that's what he takes off when he's waiting for his lunch, but I don't seem to have anything he wants to eat. I've tried preparing kebabs, all kinds of BBQ, pretty much anything I can think of, but I'm never able to offer him anything. And it won't let me attack him. Help?

Also, is there anything else I should make sure I do before I set off for Ft. Eagle? I found the girl who likes flowers. Guess I get five of those later, because I haven't found any yet, although I do have two or three types of bugs for whenever I find bug girl. I want my harem, dammit.

[quote name='Tybee']Okay, I'm still way behind you guys. So sue me. Had a busy social calendar this weekend and had to finish up an article for work. Anyway, I think I've done everything I can do in Caldoxa Ruins at this point. I know you guys said you need to get the mole knuckle suit. I found the guy digging, and I assume that's what he takes off when he's waiting for his lunch, but I don't seem to have anything he wants to eat. I've tried preparing kebabs, all kinds of BBQ, pretty much anything I can think of, but I'm never able to offer him anything. And it won't let me attack him. Help?

Also, is there anything else I should make sure I do before I set off for Ft. Eagle? I found the girl who likes flowers. Guess I get five of those later, because I haven't found any yet, although I do have two or three types of bugs for whenever I find bug girl. I want my harem, dammit.[/quote]
The Knuckle Mole suit is way easier than you're making it ;) Just hit A while standing over the suit that's lying on the ground. I've never given him anything, though I'm curious if there is in fact some item that he would want.

[quote name='botticus']The Knuckle Mole suit is way easier than you're making it ;) Just hit A while standing over the suit that's lying on the ground. I've never given him anything, though I'm curious if there is in fact some item that he would want.[/QUOTE]

I swear I did that...multiple times. Gah. You know how sometimes you can't do something until you're 100% sure that's what you're supposed to do? :roll:

I wonder if he does want something. He keeps talking about food. I kind of thought for a while that the breakfast lady is getting it together for him and that's what you give him.

Also, what is this game's obsession with naked men?

[quote name='Tybee']I swear I did that...multiple times. Gah. You know how sometimes you can't do something until you're 100% sure that's what you're supposed to do? :roll:

I wonder if he does want something. He keeps talking about food. I kind of thought for a while that the breakfast lady is getting it together for him and that's what you give him.

Also, what is this game's obsession with naked men?[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem Tybee. I saw that there and kept running over it with no luck - finally the 'A' trick worked. It is wierd because you pick everything else up just by running through it. Not the clothes though, for some reason.

I played quite a bit last night but didn't make any major discoveries except this:

1) Caught a Pirahna :D
2) Go back to the very FIRST island - the deserted isle. There are 2 people there - one wants coral and you get a weapon in return. I caught coral from the area just before where this person is (fby fishing over the cliff). the second wants to know about treasure - I'm assuming he may have something to do with the treasure map piece I found. So I went back to Wi-Fi island to try to fish more pieces from the tubs - all I caught was catfish.

[quote name='62t']Got to Rizo Island today. Also got a girlfriend on my ship.[/QUOTE]

As much as I've been playing, I still haven't been able to do this. My stats are all wrong except for maybe Intelligence, IF they count a stat-boosting weapon for that. But it in that one case I don't have the items I need (all the bugs).

[quote name='io']As much as I've been playing, I still haven't been able to do this. My stats are all wrong except for maybe Intelligence, IF they count a stat-boosting weapon for that. But it in that one case I don't have the items I need (all the bugs).[/QUOTE]
Getting the video game girl in Hakaba is the easiet. all you need to do is to keep killing town people. As for the games you need to give her, the people in Hakaba drop them when they die. I am told you can get more girlfriends so I still got a lot to do.

[quote name='62t']Getting the video game girl in Hakaba is the easiet. all you need to do is to keep killing town people. As for the games you need to give her, the people in Hakaba drop them when they die. I am told you can get more girlfriends so I still got a lot to do.[/QUOTE]

Ah, well, that is the one I am by far the furthest from getting (and I consider the most difficult unless you work on it from the start). Don't you need to have -50 karma? I figured out you need to kill 7 people for one level of Karma drop. I was at +75 or so and gave up after getting to +50 - and much of that drop was from opening the chests in Habara which drop you 3 or 4 FULL Karma levels - if only they respawned it would be easy to get Karma down. I didn't feel like killing 700 more shoppers/townspeople, so I'll give up my dreams of getting that girl :D.

Losing the karma necessary to get the girl isn't as hard as you'd think. The closer your karma level gets to 0 the easier it is to lose levels. Once you get down to level 20 or so you can lose levels with just one or two kills.

Hmmm... I suppose I could give it a try. The problem is that my karma is back up over 75 again :D... And I know it takes 7 or so kills at this level to get it down one. On the other hand, I'm trying to level up theft, fishing, and cooking skills, so I need to do more fighting anyway. The game is a little unbalanced in that I am near the end, have explored a ton, have gone back to each place several times, and still I haven't opened up 1/3 of the skill matrix. I'm still waiting on level 2 cooking and theft.

I made it through the castle to what I assume is the end. To anyone who has finished is this the end:

The fight with Mint on the red dragon thing

If not, how much more is there afterwards? And are there any good items after that point, if so? I never found the good fishing rod RF said was in the castle, but then again there are 2 or 3 chests I can't open yet. If there's nothing after that I'll go back to other places and level up.

Anyone who has already beat it:
My problem is a little wierd. I can beat the final boss(es), I see the credits roll and everything. I even have a screen that says "saving, do not remove the cart or turn off the power".

But when it's all said and done, if I continue my game I just go back to right before I beat the final boss. According to everyone elses accounts there's an entire post-game to play.

Anyone else beat Contact yet and can help me out here?

Check you inventory for some new items. There are also some new monsters to fight. And since you can finish this game with low level skills, you can work to unlock the other skills and other items you missed.

I liked this ending a lot. The ending was meh up until the final monologue which made me love it.

damn I cant believe this thread has almost 450 replies...

I cant even keep up... Im only on the Pyramid island...

and I think Ive had this game since its release

(or at least its release week)

[quote name='JEKKI']damn I cant believe this thread has almost 450 replies...

I cant even keep up... Im only on the Pyramid island...

and I think Ive had this game since its release

(or at least its release week)[/QUOTE]

Don't feel bad, I'm still in the first ruins, Calodoza or something like that, lol. Haven't gotten alot of time to play, and now that I have FFXII I don't know how much time I'll be sinking into this one. But I like what I've played so far!

Trying hard to avoid spoilers in here. Or elsewhere, for that matter.

I'm glad people seem to have liked the game alot.

I'm on Aegis (the pyramid island) and kind of at a loss about what to do now.

I've been into the pyramid with the archaeologist, led him to the room of interest, found the side room with the skill/attribute spots on the floor, and picked up all of them except for the fire one, as I don't think I have a suit (thought chef outfit might work...nope) or weapon or whatever that seems to activate it and (I'm assuming) open the door. Also not sure what to do with the girl with the broken down car outside, the guy who needs to see a deed before he'll let me in, the kidnapped people, the kid who wants gloves (but apparently not the ones I have in my inventory), the half-assed shopkeeper, and God knows what else. This is definitely the most frustrating island so far.

Also, I was thinking about it and this game kind of reminds me of Monkey Island in that you're on a pirate ship traveling to different islands, each with its own politics and problems, and you're doing the same kind of puzzle solving. On the other hand it seamlessly folds in some great RPG elements like skill acquisition, cooking, battles, that really make it unique. I love this game.

[quote name='Tybee']I'm on Aegis (the pyramid island) and kind of at a loss about what to do now.

I've been into the pyramid with the archaeologist, led him to the room of interest, found the side room with the skill/attribute spots on the floor, and picked up all of them except for the fire one, as I don't think I have a suit (thought chef outfit might work...nope) or weapon or whatever that seems to activate it and (I'm assuming) open the door. Also not sure what to do with the girl with the broken down car outside, the guy who needs to see a deed before he'll let me in, the kidnapped people, the kid who wants gloves (but apparently not the ones I have in my inventory), the half-assed shopkeeper, and God knows what else. This is definitely the most frustrating island so far.

Also, I was thinking about it and this game kind of reminds me of Monkey Island in that you're on a pirate ship traveling to different islands, each with its own politics and problems, and you're doing the same kind of puzzle solving. On the other hand it seamlessly folds in some great RPG elements like skill acquisition, cooking, battles, that really make it unique. I love this game.[/quote]
Okay, here are at least two things you haven't done:
You need to buy a pipe or something from one of the shop keepers. Give that to the girl with the car, she gives you the Nitro Suit. That is the fire suit, which will take care of the last thing in the side room.

The deed costs 10000 and is also at one of the shops, but it's not required.

I think there are a ton of things in that level I didn't complete, but I think I'm moving on from there. Just gonna get my Shadow Thief outfit, and move onto Habara.

Ty...

Go back to the vendors. One of them will sell you a car part. Then take it to the girl with the broke down car. She will then give you the Nitro Suit, the fire suit u need.

Bot you are fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Botticus and Tyvan. I'll use those tips when I get home tonight. This is the first game in a long time that I find myself itching to play during the day. Gah...3.5 hours until quittin' time...

Incidentally, although I filled my contacts roster, I haven't connected with everyone yet. Missing two or three. Will have to check when I get home to see who it is. I need all of those keen bonus items!

One more question:

The fisherman at Ft. Eagle is looking for bait (for which he will obviously give me a fishing rod). I don't want you to tell me specifically what he wants, but is it something I should have by the time I leave Aegis? Or does it show up later?

[quote name='Tybee']Thanks Botticus and Tyvan. I'll use those tips when I get home tonight. This is the first game in a long time that I find myself itching to play during the day. Gah...3.5 hours until quittin' time...

Incidentally, although I filled my contacts roster, I haven't connected with everyone yet. Missing two or three. Will have to check when I get home to see who it is. I need all of those keen bonus items!

One more question:

The fisherman at Ft. Eagle is looking for bait (for which he will obviously give me a fishing rod). I don't want you to tell me specifically what he wants, but is it something I should have by the time I leave Aegis? Or does it show up later?
[/quote]

Yes before you leave.

extra hint..
You need the digging suit

[quote name='Tyvan']Yes before you leave.

extra hint..
You need the digging suit
[/QUOTE]

Already got it. Thanks!

got to admit the game GROWS On you. I almost sold it after playing for around 30 mins. Last night i played it for 2 hours and starting to love the game.

Holy hell... for anyone who's having issues dropping their karma for whatever reason: Put on the Shadow Thief outfit and start opening treasure chests. Whether or not they're locked, every time I open one, my karma drops 5 levels. Used to be up in the 90s, now I'm at 66. :whistle2:(

I should also add... playing through Habara with Shadow Thief is hard as hell. I may need to go find some potions and stock up.

And... the Castle just destroyed me. Time to go do some more level-grinding. I was actually able to get by without doing that since the first or second level.

bread's done
Back