So is the vita worth it?

I bought it on a total whim last night at BB, because I basically did a trade deal that netted me a TON of free games ($300+ in trade in credit towards Vita, mem card, and 3 games). I had originally lamented it's steep price, the expensive memory, and lack of games I was interested in. That being said, I am a gadget freak, and like to check out the newest stuff. I just finally got to play with the unit for about 3 hours, and I can say I am very happy I purchased it. The graphics really are incredible for a handheld, and the two analogs are awesome...what I always wanted in a handheld. Now I just need a good shooter, and I'll be set! (the Unit 13 demo was OK, but at the very least, a great preview of what will be capable)

I am having a great time with it. If you have the scratch I would recommend it. Lumines and Super Stardust have been eating a lot of my time. I haven't even touched uncharted, wipeout or fifa yet, lol.

I'm enjoying it, played the first couple levels of uncharted and except for the forced touch stuff it's pretty good. I've been plaing mostly Ninja Gaiden which I think is great. I spent all morning adding personal lock screen and wall papers and now the thing looks sick. I would totally recommend it. I went back and forth with my pre order but I'm glad I got it.

My 3ds has gotten touched ten times at most since I got it on black Friday, I don't see the vita collecting nearly as much dust. To me it's more of a console experience, which is what I'm looking for.

I'm happy with mine as I got the 3G 8GB bundle for $240. I still haven't even played a game on it and have no use for the 3G but I know I have it and that's what really matters here.

Had I paid $350 for that FEB I would not be happy about it.

Edit: agree with above post. I also messed around with the lock screen/wallpaper for a good couple of hours just finding what I wanted. And my 3DS is also collecting dust which I don't see happening so much with the Vita. Although I really want them to add some button functionality to the browser to make it less annoying. The buttons are there Sony, use them!

Edit: Here's the lock screen I'm using and one of the wallpapers

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like the PSP, yeah, this is completely worth it. Hot Shots Golf is the game that has be hooked. Also, if you have Hustle Kings for the PS3, you get the Vita version for free (and the controls really make the game a lot better on the PS Vita).

The touchscreen is super sensitive, which is really nice--just as good as the iPhone or iPad.
The gyroscope actually works well; it's very sensitive as well.
Cross game chat works like a charm. It's so cool to sit there playing against someone and just talk to them like you're sitting next to them.

The only things that I want the system to have is an e-mail app and a pod cast syncronization app, or some way to subscribe to RSS feeds.

Just caved and ordered a PSV...

Since my son stole my PSP (PSP 1000 loaded up)about 5 months ago I have been missing portable gaming. I did not order or buy any games yet tho, looking at picking up Hot Shots Golf . I always liked the Tiger Woods games and was wondering if HSG shared some of the sim aspects of TW?

This is my first Hot Shots, and I really love it; it's a very detailed golf game with a cutesy veneer. I really love the whole atmosphere of it, and it's super addictive. Definitely a good one to buy digitally, so you can play it whenever. It's similar to Mario Golf, but a little bit more realistic as far as physics and stuff go. There's still the whole power shots and clubs/balls that have different properties--but that's what makes it fun and entertaining.

I enjoy mine a great deal, the launch 3G bundle with the memory card included was a good fit. The 8GB memory card that came with the system I have used to install a few of my Minis titles, a few of my PSP games, 8 retail Vita games, and 1 PSN Vita game and it still leaves me with over half of it free.

Out of the games I picked up I find myself playing Rayman, Army Corpse of Hell, and UMvC3 the most. Still haven't played my copy of Uncharted but I'll get around to it. Rayman just captured my attention and I want to finish it first.

The AR games are more enjoyable than I thought they would be as well. I really like Fireworks, and so do a lot of my non-gamer friends that ask about the game while I'm playing it while on break at my work.

Near statistics have been interesting as I've watched my home area go from 11 people playing on the 2/22 to now 88 people 2/26. I even got a few "Game Goods" already.

All in all, I'd say if you have the money grab it. If you want it and can wait go ahead and wait until Black Friday or some other random sale that is too good to pass up. I was going to wait on the games but those B2G1 deals were just too good to pass up.

So far it's been worth it, there are some bugs they need to work out like the near functionality, and the occasional freezing issues. They only physical malady the Vita suffers from is that the L and R buttons don't always work right off the bat. I've had fun with it so far. Rayman Origins is by far the best game out for Vita right now.

I'm loving Uncharted on it so far. I was a bit disappointed with the 3rd one, so this is bringing it back in terms of general fun. Oh and I love the motion sensor aiming. It works so well.

I was very lukewarm to the Vita until about 2-3 weeks ago, once the deals started getting listed it peaked my interest. I had a PSP, so I figured I could trade it in and get a Vita for about $200. I am amazed at how much I like and have played the system so far.

I am hooked on HSG (so far the only retail title I have played). I really think that the Vita may become my go to device for sports games (we'll see how the Show does on the 6th). Tried most of the demos, Unit 13 has some real promise esp. with the premise of daily challenges. The PSN titles are great; Mutant Blobs Attack is top-notch and I can't wait to pick up Super Stardust Delta and Motorstorm RC (when it launches). For me one of the most attractive aspects of the system is PSP back-compatibility. Despite having a PSP I missed out on a lot of the games, so the option to catch up on some of these classics for $10-$25 is very exciting.

I'm waiting for someone to trade a wifi-only one in at work so I can get it for $180 after tax.

I've got $100 trade-in credit laying around and nothing to use it on.

Really depends on your game tastes and affinity to handheld gaming. I will say that the Vita is, IMO, the best handheld gaming device ever. The level of integration with online, trophies, and the feel that you're playing a console in your hands is the draw for me. I'm in love with my Vita. I'm a huge handheld gamer, embracing the Game Boy and leaping for joy over my day one purchase of the original Game Boy Advance. I've bought every handheld machine available on release day since GBA. Vita is by far the BEST day one handheld purchase I've ever made.

That said, it's not for everybody. Some folks won't like handheld gaming. Some won't like the games available. Some won't like some of the day one nit picks.

Bottom line: If you fancy yourself as a handheld enthusiast, you owe it to yourself to buy a Vita immediately.

Sony is going to announce some Vita titles in development next week. Here's hoping that there are some upcoming RPGs. I love my PSP and I think the Vita has the potential to be an amazing handheld system, but I'm a RPG fan and won't buy it until it has some decent RPGs (that aren't also being released on the PS3).

I think it is worth it if there are games you want to play that are out now. Personally, there's nothing out now I have to play, so I'll wait. I am still enjoying my 3DS and think there is plenty of a market for both platforms. I'll have the Vita eventually, but maybe not this year. Depends on what games are out around black friday and what insane deals stores have for it. Never crossed my mind when I paid nearly $300 for my 3DS and Street Fighter that within a year, I could buy a system and a game for $200. Next week, one can buy the 3DS and 2 games for a little over $200. That's insane.

I don't think the Vita will have the same deals within a year, but it is very possible that a wi-fi bundle will emerge with a game and memory card for $250 or less by November of this year.

I've played my Vita more than I've played the PSP and 3DS combined... and I had a PSP day 1 and a PSP Go day 1... Now, the DSi I actually like more than than the 3DS too, I just feel the 3DS hasn't had stunning games. The Vita I am *very* impressed with. It's a portable console really, it has games that work as quick time killers and games that you can play for hours, so I am very content with mine, and I bought the week early version. I'm up to 11 games for this suckers (10 if you ignore Little Deviants, haven't touched it yet.)

I passed on the original PSP until last year out of Nintendo pride and Sony irritation, and I really missed out. Within two months I had over 10 games. This time I didn't want to miss out.

With that said, they really put the Vita together well and made few mistakes. Only three things stick out as bad calls or issues.

1. Demos I downloaded run a bit choppier than the physical games I got.
2. Price of the memory cards.
3. Initial load times.

All of these things will get better as they get more experienced with the hardware.

Lastly, you know that once Japan gets a few key RPGs then it's really gonna take off there. They already have A Monster Hunter on its way, and that will do super well.

Edit: Four things. AT&T 3G? Really?

I'm a handheld gaming fan but I'd say it's worth it. It definitely feels like a console in your hands. Even though there are a few quirks it feels like a little powerhouse. Worth it.

I just got back from picking up a 32GB card so you know that I am currently feeling violated. Notwithstanding that I still love it.

Virtua Tennis easily my favorite game so far. Hopefully the Show is good.

Vita is a great piece of hardware. On the immediate future software side I don't see many must have titles, maybe next Friday we'll finally see the must have. But will Sony announce anything for north america as this event is in Japan. I would like to see Sony improve the browser, enable button control on the home screen.

[quote name='sasukekun']So I just picked up a FEB from AWD for $200. Anything I need to keep an eye on? (contents, glitches, etc.)[/QUOTE]

Some Vitas are having dead pixels. Some people have had some lines on the screens.

Ive had no hardware issues, just problems with the NEAR app, sony hasnt came out and officially said anything but it glitches out on some people and doesnt log their near data which is the GPS (BUILT IN) service that unlocks certain game data for you, so when it doesnt work after the first 2 weeks or so....you miss out on lots of near content. I live in a big city, so i was getting unlocks constantly. not anymore. :(

EDIT: update http://psvitaforum.com/threads/near-problem.3445/

bread's done
Back