So is this where you talk about Hollywood Video falling apart?

mva5580

CAGiversary!
I tried to go to 2 Hollywood Videos today close to my house, both closed and seemingly rather quickly as there were landlord notices on the door along with very small HV signage stating that the store was closed permanently. It appears this company is pretty much screwed in Arizona; is it happening everywhere?

It's known. Honestly I'm not even sure how they were ever profitable. Commonly found them to be the type to nickel-and-dime you.

Hollywood Video used to be great in the beginning IMO. You could get movies for like $1-$2. Every day they'd have a ton of people in the store renting games and movies. Then, they decided they would charge Blockbusters prices and nobody ever went there again.

[quote name='mva5580']I tried to go to 2 Hollywood Videos today close to my house, both closed and seemingly rather quickly as there were landlord notices on the door along with very small HV signage stating that the store was closed permanently. It appears this company is pretty much screwed in Arizona; is it happening everywhere?[/QUOTE]Where in Arizona are you? I'm in Tucson and it seems like most of them are still in business. All the Game Crazys have closed but the Hollywood Videos that are attached to them are staying open.

The HWV that was 2 blocks away from me closed in very much the same way. There was no liquidation sale or anything. One day, I just happened to notice that the signage was gone. The store was completely empty including all fixtures. This was the 4th HWV to close down in my area within the last 2 years.

[quote name='mva5580']I tried to go to 2 Hollywood Videos today close to my house, both closed and seemingly rather quickly as there were landlord notices on the door along with very small HV signage stating that the store was closed permanently. It appears this company is pretty much screwed in Arizona; is it happening everywhere?[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the Yuma store? I heard the Yuma store was pretty much quickly shutdown overnight.

The last of the stores closed in Florida a few months ago. Take a look at their store locator and you won't find FL as an option :)

[quote name='emg28']The HWV that was 2 blocks away from me closed in very much the same way. There was no liquidation sale or anything. One day, I just happened to notice that the signage was gone. The store was completely empty including all fixtures.[/QUOTE]

This is what happened with the Fenton, MO store. Thursday before ODST launches in Sept. the local HWV/GC managers get a phone call saying that is the last day the store will be open and that everyone must report on Friday to tear down the store/ship product to other stores or they will be denied unemployment.

I feel the worst for people who had ODST preordered there. They were supposed to have a big Halo 3 tournament the night of the launch also. I wonder if they got their money back or their copy of the game?

[quote name='david12795']^ there's still one in my county.[/QUOTE]

Really? Your sure? You can't even look in florida anymore on store locator.

[quote name='dchrisd']Are you talking about the Yuma store? I heard the Yuma store was pretty much quickly shutdown overnight.[/QUOTE]Hooray for Yuma,that's where I'm from!I live in Tucson now so I can't comment if HV is still open...

I live in Gilbert specifically. I'm not sure how many others around me suffered that same fate, but it was pretty weird to see. There one day, gone the next. I guess that's what happens when you insanely over-saturate the market with locations; at some point it's going to become a detriment.

I don't know of any HV near me, the nearest one closed about two years ago.
I think I only went there a handful of times because they never had what I wanted in stock. Now that there are several Redbox locations near me I don't go to Blockbuster anymore either :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Brian9824']Really? Your sure? You can't even look in florida anymore on store locator.[/QUOTE]

They took most of the non-game crazy stores off of the Hollywood locator. There is still one store in Hillsborough, two in Pinellas and one in Pasco.

[quote name='Bezerker']They took most of the non-game crazy stores off of the Hollywood locator. There is still one store in Hillsborough, two in Pinellas and one in Pasco.[/QUOTE]

There are 3 in Pinellas - St. Pete, Largo, and Dunedin. I hit all three during the Black Friday sale.

[quote name='Brian9824']The last of the stores closed in Florida a few months ago. Take a look at their store locator and you won't find FL as an option :)[/QUOTE]

There are plenty in Florida still open. I can name a few right now. Sanford, Lakeland, Ocala.

[quote name='Brian9824']The last of the stores closed in Florida a few months ago. Take a look at their store locator and you won't find FL as an option :)[/QUOTE]

It's the same way for every state, as I even checked my own local HWV stores on the site and they didn't come up but both of them are still open.

If all of the HWV stores in FL closed, then I think super_dawn(who has been a very reliable source of HWV info) would be out of a job too.

If you see a store close with less than 24 hours of notice, that's usually a landlord thing and not a Hollywood Video thing. Hollywood seems to rent out all of their buildings and I've heard of (several) cases where the landlord jacks up the rent astronomically and says if they don't agree to pay it, the store will be locked within 24 hours. You're probably going to see it more and more this holiday season.

If the store goes through the motions of liquidating product, that's a store closure and a Hollywood Video thing.

bread's done
Back